• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

We've only played him on Apex 7. His encounter is basically broken on that map. He spawns on the beach and so do literally all of the knights that protect him. There is no safe way to approach him and the knights. At best they just concentrate their fire on one side of the beach and give the other a reprieve for a couple seconds.
To add to this, he doesn't even spawn until 4:35 on the clock. And since your team isn't given notification of what the next round is during intermission, a considerable amount of round time is spent preparing vehicles and traveling to the boss. It's just all around bad.

It's not worth using high reqs in ff. I'm not fucking doing it anymore. Not when the game can insta fuck you over in one shot. Love waiting 30 seconds to respawn to see your high req weapon despawned or taken by another teammate and them getting boss kills while you return to the fight just in time to miss getting credit. Used endgame. The answer. And heartseeker and got shitted on immediately all three times. Did work on bosses for no credit. How is that supposed to make anyone wanna use their reqs? This game man. It can be brilliant in one second and a fucking joke immediately the next.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Confirmed. This is literally the one encounter I feel can just be unwinnable even with a full team of decent players with good REQs. One shot from him kills any vehicle. One/two from his adds (IC knights) and same thing. And the knights respawn constantly. It feels like this one encounter did not get playtested very well/much at all.

he doesnt seem bad to me at all. dont use vehicles, stay in safe spots from farish away, take cover when he shoots.

EDIT: i see you are referring specifically to the apex 7 encounter, which i've never played. nm

Also who at 343 came up with the idea of The Answer, its plain OPness is even more evident in Warzone FF, literally everything melt to that monster.

Also who at 343 came up with the idea of The Answer, its plain OPness is even more evident in Warzone FF, literally everything melt to that monster.

You be quiet or they'll nerf that son of a bitch stick that I love :) Next time you play WZ PvP stack that bad boy with OS and/or speedboost. I had a buddy spawn one to give me while I stacked OS/SB and then proceeded to wreck shit. SoGood.gif.

You be quiet or they'll nerf that son of a bitch stick that I love :) Next time you play WZ PvP stack that bad boy with OS and/or speedboost. I had a buddy spawn one to give me while I stacked OS/SB and then proceeded to wreck shit. SoGood.gif.

Yeah I know how that thing is crazy in PvP.

Last night I had a FF game, out of spawn with The Answer and I ran into a Knight at point blank range, in panic I jumped and spray on him and it literally died in two seconds, without any weak point hits, just plain firepower.

Yeah I know how that thing is crazy in PvP.

Last night I had a FF game, out of spawn with The Answer and I ran into a Knight at point blank range, in panic I jumped and spray on him and it literally died in two seconds, without any weak point hits, just plain firepower.

Nice, love those fight response kills.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think you could beat him with a full team of Selene's Lances. There is a construction fairly far away from him on the other side from where the knights are so they won't target you, and you can duck behind when he does his supercombine.

I wonder what bosses pop up after him tho since he's just the first of three.
After him there come 2 mythic Hunters.

We managed to beat him but only had like 50 seconds left, the Hunters spawn in the cave behind the Spire, we were all in vehicles that did'nt fit in there, so we were fucked, time ran out.

Confirmed. This is literally the one encounter I feel can just be unwinnable even with a full team of decent players with good REQs. One shot from him kills any vehicle. One/two from his adds (IC knights) and same thing. And the knights respawn constantly. It feels like this one encounter did not get playtested very well/much at all.

And when you're done with him on Round 5 (after he's eaten up around 3-4 minutes of the clock), you've got two Mythic Hunters to deal with. I've encountered the Deacon on the final round four times, and every time, we've only just wrapped up with him when the last minute of the round is closing in.

We've only played him on Apex 7. His encounter is basically broken on that map. He spawns on the beach and so do literally all of the knights that protect him. There is no safe way to approach him and the knights. At best they just concentrate their fire on one side of the beach and give the other a reprieve for a couple seconds.

Played him yesterday on Apex too and man, that encounter is broken.

We spend most of our time getting nailed between Knights and Pipap, then we finally kill him and 2 Mythic Wardans spawn in with 1:06 left in the game.

SMH

no shit, the wasp being a level 3 req is fucking stupid... What were they thinking here?
Any team just has to spawn 4 of these and blast the other team away as its too early to counter with weapons and spawning your own wasp results in a quick death.

All you have to bring them down is a magnum, and they rain missiles at you from all angles.

I don't get it man.

Had a round in firefight last night where we killed the boss and completed the round with zero seconds left. It ticked over to zero as he died (it counted and we went onto round 5). I think everyone was pretty stoked.

ROzTEUm.png

TCKaos

The only two encounters I've had problems with are Urban's dual Mythic Wardens and DEACON FUCKING PIPAP.

The Mythic Wardens at least seem possible, but the encounter is rather difficult with the presence of Phaetons and when the second Warden just starts running around in circles around the armory. DEACON FUCKING PIPAP, on the other hand...

Yeah, there has to be a way to pop that sheild over pipap to take him out easily. Other means of power weapons didnt do much damage.

Maybe you need to use a Needler to kill the Needler King.

no shit, the wasp being a level 3 req is fucking stupid... What were they thinking here?
Any team just has to spawn 4 of these and blast the other team away as its too early to counter with weapons and spawning your own wasp results in a quick death.

All you have to bring them down is a magnum, and they rain missiles at you from all angles.

I don't get it man.
Your team could have spawned wasps.

Your team can spawn warthogs.

Wasp is level 3. Your team should have BR's, not pistols.

The wasp is made of paper, shoot at the rotors.

op_ivy

now is a good time to really praise the halo 5 engine. i really cant believe how well the game handles these MASSIVE environments and firefight engagements all without dropping frames. the scale of chaos seems to be much higher than anywhere else in the game and the engine just handles it.

now is a good time to really praise the halo 5 engine. i really cant believe how well the game handles these MASSIVE environments and firefight engagements all without dropping frames. the scale of chaos seems to be much higher than anywhere else in the game and the engine just handles it.

Can't wait to play it on the Scorpio ;)

Your team could have spawned wasps.

Your team can spawn warthogs.

Wasp is level 3. Your team should have BR's, not pistols.

The wasp is made of paper, shoot at the rotors.

That's the thing, I was not on a "team" so if I decided to spawn anything it would be met with instant death.
Also a "team" usually reached level 3 before ransoms, so yeah it's just pistols in the bottom of an armory.

Seriously, in this situation there is nothing you can do, I usually take out other vehicles with a splaser or hydra... Level 3 is just too low for this thing

That's the thing, I was not on a "team" so if I decided to spawn anything it would be met with instant death.
Also a "team" usually reached level 3 before ransoms, so yeah it's just pistols in the bottom of an armory.

Seriously, in this situation there is nothing you can do, I usually take out other vehicles with a splaser or hydra... Level 3 is just too low for this thing
So this is a pre-made team vs. randoms issue. Got it.

Yep, my first game I about crapped my pants seeing literally 30+ crawlers on screen.

I've only lost about 3 out of 20 games, difficulty seems solid to me. I would bump up the req leveling though.

singhr1

Pretty much, they have made it even easier for a team to dominate... And much earlier.
For example on ark, you get to lvl 3 just after taking an armory.

Just increase the lvl

A team of sword/ultra ghosts is also very difficult to take down. Not sure a squad of wasps is any harder.

has anybody else had problems with reqs not loading for the past few weeks?

no matter what type of warzone i play, i just get retrieving data the entire time.

tried playing firefight today, and same thing.

has made warzone completely unplayable as i'm just running around with a pistol and ar the whole time :S

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I feel like the length of time that splinters from a splinter grenade last should be halved. It's pretty lame how a few of them can just completely nullify a whole space for so long.

Yeah, there has to be a way to pop that sheild over pipap to take him out easily. Other means of power weapons didnt do much damage.

Maybe you need to use a Needler to kill the Needler King.
I used a Talon on him and it did pretty well, not sure if better than a Plasma Caster or Whiplash tho. Shame he has that ground pound so you can't try hammers.

So I turned on my Xbox last night and Halo 5 Guardians just randomly appeared in my download queue and I was able to download it. I've never purchased the game. Anyone know how this can happen?

no matter what type of warzone i play, i just get retrieving data the entire time.

tried playing firefight today, and same thing.

has made warzone completely unplayable as i'm just running around with a pistol and ar the whole time :S

Have you tried a full power reset? Works for me when that happens.

Lren

Had that happen to me last night. Resetting my console seemed to do the trick as well.

Launching warthogs off the man cannons in Attack on Sanctum to get to the upper section of the center arena for the round 3 elite spec ops objective is hilarious. Can kill at least two of them usually. Only problem is making sure your teammates give you a bit of room 8D;

Firefight is starting to grow on me. The first two rounds are all action and mayhem, and celebrates Halo 5's gunplay and movement. Its full on hectic infantry combat, jumping and boosting with your team. Feels great.

The later rounds things get more bullet-spongey, and ammo becomes a serious issue, and if you aren't busting out the bigger REQs -- assuming you have them -- you're not likely to get very far at all, and even then you're very likely to get insta-killed from a variety of enemy power weapons with splash.

My wishlist after a smattering of matches:

* More warning when Prometheans are about to teleport right on top of you in quantity. Most of my deaths have come from this. An empty area that five seconds later is filled with half a dozen crawlers or even battlewagons. There's just no surviving that.

* More ammo. The player's ammo capacity doesn't at all square with the number of enemies you have to face, and how tough they are to take down, and how far they tend to be from REQ terminals. This mode would play so much better if I didn't feel so tethered to the REQ terminal even with basic objectives.

* Speaking of being tethered, this mode could use some kind of secondary spawn control objectives. It sucks to spawn back in the game and have a huge hike ahead of you, and it happens often enough that popping vehicles on every spawn isn't going to keep up with need. Maybe players that aren't necessarily tackling the primary objectives can still unlock closer spawn points to help the team or something along those lines.

TL;DR: The action is great, the spawning and ammo could really use some love.

Edit: I did run into some weird ass audio bugs. Most of the time I can only hear Palmer giving her intro on match start - no music or other effects until players are on the ground running.

The weirdest bug/glitch/whatever is when I can hear audio that seems like its from players talking in other matches, or even announcers live-streaming play by plays, even after muting all players. Don't know what the hell is going on there but it happens strangely often.

Trup1aya

Firefight is starting to grow on me. The first two rounds are all action and mayhem, and celebrates Halo 5's gunplay and movement. Its full on hectic infantry combat, jumping and boosting with your team. Feels great.

The later rounds things get more bullet-spongey, and ammo becomes a serious issue, and if you aren't busting out the bigger REQs -- assuming you have them -- you're not likely to get very far at all, and even then you're very likely to get insta-killed from a variety of enemy power weapons with splash.

My wishlist after a smattering of matches:

* More warning when Prometheans are about to teleport right on top of you in quantity. Most of my deaths have come from this. An empty area that five seconds later is filled with half a dozen crawlers or even battlewagons. There's just no surviving that.

* More ammo. The player's ammo capacity doesn't at all square with the number of enemies you have to face, and how tough they are to take down, and how far they tend to be from REQ terminals. This mode would play so much better if I didn't feel so tethered to the REQ terminal even with basic objectives.

* Speaking of being tethered, this mode could use some kind of secondary spawn control objectives. It sucks to spawn back in the game and have a huge hike ahead of you, and it happens often enough that popping vehicles on every spawn isn't going to keep up with need. Maybe players that aren't necessarily tackling the primary objectives can still unlock closer spawn points to help the team or something along those lines.

TL;DR: The action is great, the spawning and ammo could really use some love.

Edit: I did run into some weird ass audio bugs. Most of the time I can only hear Palmer giving her intro on match start - no music or other effects until players are on the ground running.

The weirdest bug/glitch/whatever is when I can hear audio that seems like its from players talking in other matches, or even announcers live-streaming play by plays, even after muting all players. Don't know what the hell is going on there but it happens strangely often.

To me, the later rounds feel more like classic firefight. Anmo is scarce, enemies are tough, deaths are detrimental. Scavenging is a must, I rarely run back to req stations. If it weren't for the crappy spawns and the occasional poorly designed encounters, I'd prefer it over ODST's Firefight.

op_ivy

i have probably 30+ matches of FF and have yet to play a single game on A.R.C. weird.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Does anyone else feel like aim assist bullshit has been cranked up? I keep trying to aim at one enemy then another runs across in front and drags my crosshairs with them. I don't need that shit and even if I did it wouldn't help anyway.

Top Bottom