• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I just unlocked Increased Strength. Should be handy in normal WZ because I am never giving up Patrol Case in FF.

I'm not sure how much Increased Strength adds, but I found it's more viable for me to run Upgraded Thrusters. The distance it adds to your charge shouldn't be dismissed, however; it can be pretty excessive!

That's the one I wanted most and the last one I have left to get.

I'm... I'm so sorry.

I think Wheelman is my most-wanted perk. For as much time as I spend in vehicles, it can't hurt to have it equipped.

Get two people with Wheelman into a Sword Needler hog and watch the salt flow. That thing is already tough as nails with its energy shields, but with two Wheelman perks keeping it extra-tough? Pretty much unbreakable.

EYEL1NER

I'm... I'm so sorry.

Get two people with Wheelman into a Sword Needler hog and watch the salt flow. That thing is already tough as nails with its energy shields, but with two Wheelman perks keeping it extra-tough? Pretty much unbreakable.
I can only imagine. Though I don't see Sword Needlers too often (or at all really, I don't think I've seen a single one used). I just got the cert for it tonight and haven't spawned one yet.

Leyasu

Banned
Why couldn't they have created defensive reqs, designated them a special tier and given us a real firefight mode?? The new one is ok, but it ain't firefight/horde mode imo.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here. 343 could almost be likened to a fucked up King Midas. Where instead of everything turning to gold that they touch, it turns to shit. I won't because some of halo 5 is mind blowing. Yet some of it is really not.

EYEL1NER

I just got a Legendary Arena XP boost and used it. For some reason the shiny background, value of 250 RP, and words "Legendary" fooled me into thinking I would get a shitton of XP. Or at least more than 2650XP.

According to my spreadsheets, I've only got 69 more Gold packs left before I'm completely done with my certifications.

That means that, despite all the Gold packs I've opened so far, I still haven't gotten a Blue Team or Fireteam Osiris armor or helmet piece (pre-order Hunter armor notwithstanding).

Helljumper is what I want. Please, just give me Helljumper. Or Copperhead.

At least I've got the Wrath and Vigilant sets completed.

I can only imagine. Though I don't see Sword Needlers too often (or at all really, I don't think I've seen a single one used). I just got the cert for it tonight and haven't spawned one yet.

What they lack in consistent killing power, they make up for with being stupidly difficult to blow up (you're still better off using an ONI hog though).

darthbob

Warzone Firefight is practically everything I ever wanted out of a Halo game.

So much fun. So many Gold packs. So many crazy power weapons. <3

Grazzt

So what's the best way to kill the fucking mantis. It's shield recovery speed is faster than my reload speed.
And the third round of Escape from the ark, protecting the armory, how is it possible?

mo60

I just got a Legendary Arena XP boost and used it. For some reason the shiny background, value of 250 RP, and words "Legendary" fooled me into thinking I would get a shitton of XP. Or at least more than 2650XP.

The arena legendary boosts don't usually give an xp boost that is as large as the warzone one.

The arena legendary boosts don't usually give an xp boost that is as large as the warzone one.
Which is pathetic considering that getting one is equally rare as getting a wz legendary boost. Makes no sense that they give less. You can use a legendary boost in a wz assault match that lasts 6 minutes total and end up with an extra 5000 req points or more. But use an arena boost in a game that takes a full 12 minutes and surprise, you get an extra 1000 req points. So dumb, especially considering you already get less point in arena regardless.

I also hate that when using a boost the game automatically lowers the base amount of req points that you would normally receive. For example, wz assault typically gives 1200 to 1300 req points on average based upon whether you're on the winning or the losing side. Use a req boost and all of a sudden the game drops you to around 1000 instead. Like wtf is that about?

It all used to be a big pet peeve of mine. However, it's hard to complain anymore given that 343 is making it a lot easier to get req packs now.

So what's the best way to kill the fucking mantis. It's shield recovery speed is faster than my reload speed.

Just climb on and frag it. The worst part about the Mantis is that it's extremely vulnerable from the front, so you can just hop on and spend a single frag to destroy a level 6 REQ in a matter of seconds.

(Good lord, heavy vehicles need to be buffed).

Ade

Just climb on and frag it. The worst part about the Mantis is that it's extremely vulnerable from the front, so you can just hop on and spend a single frag to destroy a level 6 REQ in a matter of seconds.

Doesn't apply to ff enemy mantises which is what I took the post to be about?

Doesn't apply to ff enemy mantises which is what I took the post to be about?

Ah, my mistake. In that case, you'll want to cross your fingers and pray.

Jokes aside, a regular plasma pistol or Spitfire, then unload with heavy weapons. Have teammates spawn in stuff like The Answer or an ONI warthog while you have one or two teammates overcharge the Mantis to keep it EMP'd.

singhr1

Are you sure Wheelman stacks like this?

The description says wheelman stacks so i would assume the same

People need to use more ghosts and hogs against Prometheans. So easy splatters

Also use plasma pistols on phaetons, pilot occasionally drops out for easy kill.

Mantis kills require multiple heavy vehicles. One or two wraiths aint gonna cut it. Rocket/gauss hogs, tanks, ultras, etc

Are you sure Wheelman stacks like this?

To my knowledge, it doesn't boost shield strength, if that's what you're asking. But it does stack per occupant with Wheelman equipped, whichs make its already-impressive armor excessively high. Paired with the shields, it's pretty damn tough to take down, especially if your driver is good at taking you in and out of firefights.

MouldyK

Won a Firefight Match on the March on Stormbreak with my teammates killing the last Mythic Hunter with 1 second left!

I was sat on the sidelines after killing one of the others so had to watch with fear that we'd miss out.

5 REQ Packs to open now!

Grazzt

I mean in firefight...

Got online for a few quick games before bed only for my elite controller battery to die right before wz assault started. Switched to my old clunky controller without a headset, so no sound, and proceeded to play like garbage. Finally had a game of swat where I did reasonably well. Felt good about it until I checked post game stats and realized I was playing against new weekend players who more than likely just placed into silver. Welp there is always tomorrow! XD

Leyasu

Banned
Are any fellow colour blind players have problems seeing the red spartans on molten in certain areas?? Sometimes they just decloak like predator..

Akai__

Are any fellow colour blind players have problems seeing the red spartans on molten in certain areas?? Sometimes they just decloak like predator..

I'm not color blind, but the rooms with the Lava are a clear advantage for Team Red players. It's pretty stupid.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I know options are hard to implement in a game like this, but maybe just a single option flip on FF like "solo queue/casual" and "organized team/hardcore" would be best. A lot of people liked the idea of FF because they were sick of getting obliterated by teams as a solo queue person, so to have the whole thing designed for organized teams is just throwing them under the bus again. I get that they want to push Halo 5 for esports, but the solo queue group is massive, so why throw them under the bus? You get hardcore players by keeping your casuals around long enough for them to get good and seek greater challenges.

I personally don't mind the incredible amounts of fail, and I feel I can read a match well to know if I should spend my REQs on it or not, but I know losing 80% of the time is a huge downer for a lot of people, especially when the rounds they lose on seem actually impossible rather than just a challenge that they didn't quite live up to. Here are my W/L stats per levels that aren't ARC (stats forever messed up by the beta):

Apex 8/22, Sanctum 8/21, Urban 3/20, Stormbreak 3/17, Darkstar 4/15

And plenty of those wins never would have happened if I hadn't been spending big REQs the whole time. It's not rocket science: Most people aren't into getting dumpstered most of the time. I'm guessing 343 is a little annoyed they can't get an accurate read because of the free days players (thanks MS) but I feel like even with more experienced players some of these rounds just aren't working. A full team with comms shouldn't be a requirement.

Trup1aya

I remember the days when people accepted that Firefight was supposed to be hard...

Now people are acting like it was ever supposed to be a casual "wind down" mode.... This after complaining that the beta was too easy. 343i can't will never be able to please this community, because no one has a clue what they want.

If everyone was winning all the time, it wouldn't be right. Winning SHOULD be rare.

Dice

I thought the idea of Firefight being hard was in context of it being an endless mode that kept scaling up until you failed. Regardless, even if you want to make it hard in a pass/fail match format, having some types of rounds be 50x harder than others is not a good design. Nobody wants to get protect the generator and have it be 50% gone by time they even find it surrounded by IC knights and rocket soldiers. That isn't just "being a challenge" it's pretty bullshit design.

Now people are acting like it was ever supposed to be a casual "wind down" mode.... This after complaining that the beta was too easy. 343i can't will never be able to please this community, because bo one has a clue what they want.
Or it's one of the biggest franchises in gaming and it's 2016 so *gasp* there are many types of people who play and they are at different skill levels and want different things.

I have said this not just about Halo but pretty much any kind of game whether SP or MP: OPTIONS are key. That is the key to a healthy community. Fucking OPTIONS. This is where RE6 was lightyears ahead of anything else, even though it had crappy level design and not everyone caught on to the gameplay. The way you could set up the missions you wanted, the difficulty, your intention for playing, and some other modifiers, and it found someone who wanted the same. Granted, just finding one partner is a lot easier for many options, but a single difficulty or solo queue switch isn't going to mess up your matchmaking.

If everyone was winning all the time, it wouldn't be right. Winning SHOULD be rare.
This is your idea, and when you get into the realm of "should" everyone has a different idea. What matters is the baseline "are we maximizing the number of people having fun?" and the best strategy for this will always and forever be OPTIONS.

Trup1aya

I thought the idea of Firefight being hard was in context of it being an endless mode that kept scaling up until you failed. Regardless, even if you want to make it hard in a pass/fail match format, having some types of rounds be 50x harder than others is not a good design. Nobody wants to get protect the generator and have it be 50% gone by time they even find it surrounded by IC knights and rocket soldiers. That isn't just "being a challenge" it's pretty bullshit design.

Or it's one of the biggest franchises in gaming and it's 2016 so *gasp* there are many types of people who play and they are at different skill levels and want different things.

I have said this not just about Halo but pretty much any kind of game whether SP or MP: OPTIONS are key. That is the key to a healthy community. Fucking OPTIONS. This is where RE6 was lightyears ahead of anything else, even though it had crappy level design and not everyone caught on to the gameplay. The way you could set up the missions you wanted, the difficulty, your intention for playing, and some other modifiers, and it found someone who wanted the same. Granted, just finding one partner is a lot easier for many options, but a single difficulty or solo queue switch isn't going to mess up your matchmaking.

This is your idea, and when you get into the realm of "should" everyone has a different idea. What matters is the baseline "are we maximizing the number of people having fun?" and the best strategy for this will always and forever be OPTIONS.

No doubt there are some missions that could be better designed, and there are some UI bugs that muck things up as well ...

But when people post their win record with randoms, as if it's some indicator that the difficulty is too high, all I can think is that they've never played firefight before.

I'd be for some difficulty options that altered the RP payout. But given the mode just came out, and they obviously been working up to the deadline, it should come as no surprised that the only option currently available is a difficult one.

Akai__

Other halos didnt have problems like this? Honest question.

I don't remember honestly, but whenever players blend in with scenery that's not good. No matter what game. Halo 5 has also the issue with the lighting on BTB maps. The sun is too strong in some maps. Nobody needs Lens Flare.

So Halo 6 is obviously going to be published by MS....so it will be coming to Win10, because I am not sure if everyone missed this or what?

It was mentioned in tha Play Anywhere thread. Lots of people saying that they don't need an Xbox anymore.

So Halo 6 is obviously going to be published by MS....so it will be coming to Win10, because I am not sure if everyone missed this or what?

We have known this since E3.

I don't remember honestly, but whenever players blend in with scenery that's not good. No matter what game. Halo 5 has also the issue with the lighting on BTB maps. The sun is too strong in some maps. Nobody needs Lens Flare.

It was mentioned in tha Play Anywhere thread. Lots of people saying that they don't need an Xbox anymore.

I know that's not good. I was just asking because we had already a few cases of things like that in Halo 5 already.
Sun is too stronk

Got online for a few quick games before bed only for my elite controller battery to die right before wz assault started. Switched to my old clunky controller without a headset, so no sound, and proceeded to play like garbage. Finally had a game of swat where I did reasonably well. Felt good about it until I checked post game stats and realized I was playing against new weekend players who more than likely just placed into silver. Welp there is always tomorrow! XD

I just turned quick battery changes into a science, although I use generic recharchables. Using a non-Elite is sadface.

Dice

No doubt there are some missions that could be better designed, and there are some UI bugs that muck things up as well ...

But when people post their win record with randoms, as if it's some indicator that the difficulty is too high, all I can think is that they've never played firefight before.
Yes, I never played Firefight before. I have been very open from day one that I bought an Xbone to have Halo games for the first time. However, you are still following some idea of a tangible identity of Firefight and what it ought to be, as if you could "get it right" and if you did then it didn't matter how many people didn't like it. That doesn't make any sense at all. People have different skill levels, and as they play and get REQs what they are able to deal with increases. Maybe they continually seek new challenges, maybe they don't. Yet they always want to have fun at their skill level and mood.

Some people would love to go hard at becoming good, but they don't have the spare time. They have a busy job, they have kids, they have whatever else in their life that keeps them from playing as much as is needed to be really good, and yet they still play regularly. For some Halo may be their main game. They can't be obsessed but they are dedicated in their own way. It should treat them well.

Some people are completely casual and would like a casual experience. Campaign is there but after going through it a few times one may want something more. Online is the perfect place to turn except then the difficulty is through the roof. Maybe they play other games where you can get away with being more casual and always being in solo queue and they have no idea why things are so rough with Halo.

Some people go hard and have a regular group of people they can play with often. They are highly skilled and can overcome some really big challenges with planning and organization. They play so often that winning or losing is unimportant to them compared to having their skills properly tested, and winning too often means they aren't being tested, so they aren't experiencing all that they know the experience can be.

Why should some imagined specific definition of "what Halo is" set things against any of these people having the fun they seek from the game? What it "should" be is designed with enough options to satisfy any of them so as to have a large appeal and continue being a very large and popular franchise that can justify its production budget. Playing only to the hardcore crowd will not do that, no matter how much you go whale hunting or begging people to support esports with REQ purchases.

I understand the difficulties of securing quality matches in an MMR system (see: "as a noob I should be able to play people my level, not just get stomped" vs "social is sweaty like ranked, why can't I chill stomping noobs?"), but for a PvE mode? That is very easy to do. Just provide options. Even just one option of a difficulty designed around randoms or around a team.

BizzyBum

Firefight comms done except wins. Only need 38 more to finish level 4. :(

The slayer and boss comms were too easy. Only 200 for level 5? Shoulda been in the thousands.

Also just need 1 more Warden kill and I'm done with enemies!

ODST FF *was* challenging. And it was *fun*. Challenge is part of the reason people loved Firefight in the first place. The fact that you've never played it isn't the fault of people that have been clamoring for its return for years.

WZFF definitely has some balance issues, but pushing for challenge over fun is near the bottom of the list. There are maybe a couple of encounters that truly just not well-considered/designed and become frustrating, but nerfing a coop experience because some people don't know how to cooperate is ridiculous.

Trup1aya

Yes, I never played Firefight before. I have been very open from day one that I bought an Xbone to have Halo games for the first time. However, you are still following some idea of a tangible identity of Firefight and what it ought to be, as if you could "get it right" and if you did then it didn't matter how many people didn't like it. That doesn't make any sense at all. People have different skill levels, and as they play and get REQs what they are able to deal with increases. Maybe they continually seek new challenges, maybe they don't. Yet they always want to have fun at their skill level and mood.

Some people would love to go hard at becoming good, but they don't have the spare time. They have a busy job, they have kids, they have whatever else in their life that keeps them from playing as much as is needed to be really good, and yet they still play regularly. For some Halo may be their main game. They can't be obsessed but they are dedicated in their own way. It should treat them well.

Some people are completely casual and would like a casual experience. Campaign is there but after going through it a few times one may want something more. Online is the perfect place to turn except then the difficulty is through the roof. Maybe they play other games where you can get away with being more casual and always being in solo queue and they have no idea why things are so rough with Halo.

Some people go hard and have a regular group of people they can play with often. They are highly skilled and can overcome some really big challenges with planning and organization. They play so often that winning or losing is unimportant to them compared to having their skills properly tested, and winning too often means they aren't being tested, so they aren't experiencing all that they know the experience can be.

Why should some imagined specific definition of "what Halo is" set things against any of these people having the fun they seek from the game? What it "should" be is designed with enough options to satisfy any of them so as to have a large appeal and continue being a very large and popular franchise that can justify its production budget. Playing only to the hardcore crowd will not do that, no matter how much you go whale hunting or begging people to support esports with REQ purchases.

I understand the difficulties of securing quality matches in an MMR system (see: "as a noob I should be able to play people my level, not just get stomped" vs "social is sweaty like ranked, why can't I chill stomping noobs?"), but for a PvE mode? That is very easy to do. Just provide options. Even just one option of a difficulty designed around randoms or around a team.

it all makes sense now. It's not just you, or Neogaf. It's people all over who complain about it being too hard, or not casual enough... Which is fine (everyone gets an opinion) but too me, these are wierd complaints when you consider what firefight has always been.

golem

Now im starting to see why Bungie left match making out of Destiny PVE. Every challenging mode/raid would have been whine-nerfed to hell

IHaveIce

Banned
Sorry but you can't compare FF from the Old titles to this one, especially since you could change the difficulty to your likings in the old FFs

It just feels like outright Bullshit when the things that make the mode hard are just dumb design decisions like boss placements, respawn timer, in general time distribution etc.

Ofc nerfing it won't change the result, the mode is clearly intended to be beat with working as a team and making pushes as a team, the mode can't be balanced or nerfed because dumbwits play the mode who don't play the objecvtive in the mind of a team

Top Bottom