• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

a.wd

Won a few firefight rounds, won loads with Randoms, it's kept me playing for probably 6 hours today. I have a wife and two year old! Its really fun.

EYEL1NER

I was ready to give 343 props for saying that they heard the complaints about Round 3 "Defend the Garage" objectives from the beta and that they toned it down but after playing multiple FF matches on all five maps I just have to shake my head and laugh. Did they play test some of these objectives at all? So far my round ones on Darkstar have all been "Defend the Armory" and we have failed round one every time. So Darkstar rotates in just now and I resign myself to the fact that the next couple minutes will be a waste of my time but at least I'll get some more Promethean kills out of it. But no, this isn't "Defend the Armory" this time! It says that we need to kill a soldier guard. Sounds good to me. So we all start off towards the soldier guard, who would be where else but the other side of the map on the other spawn's helipad, and what is circling overhead? Goddamn pinpoint accuracy Phaetons. Two or three people quit and I have assume that they saw the Phaetons at REQ Lvl 1 and just said "Fuck it."

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Destroying ghosts on Apex isn't that bad. Destroying knights on stormbreak tho... fucking hell. Most times I've played it my team just can't find the knights or can't beat them very quickly. However I just played it with a team of badasses and we still had one left that was guarded by 2 phateons and a ton of other enemies. Thing is, I'm sure that wasn't a problem so much as just getting to it since I've never seen knights killed so quickly as with this team, it was fucking sick how well we were doing. All 8 of us were together focusing them down, 2 of us were in banshees. But you have to kill a handful and then it spawns more and repeat, and it just took too long.

Aaaanyway I have to say Patrol case + Extra ammo DMR = Holy shit I can shoot forever. Same for the extra ammo SMG. This shit should be standard for Firefight.

So we all start off towards the soldier guard, who would be where else but the other side of the map on the other spawn's helipad, and what is circling overhead? Goddamn pinpoint accuracy Phaetons. Two or three people quit and I have assume that they saw the Phaetons at REQ Lvl 1 and just said "Fuck it."
It's pretty intimidating but that one is actually very doable because the guards are just normal soldiers. They die fast. There is enough time that your whole team could just dive bomb them and die on loop and even with the respawn timer you'd kill them before time runs out. You can also spawn scout warthogs to run over a bunch of the enemies in the road in front of them.

A problem I've noticed with randoms is when you can finish quickly by killing elites or hunters, they just go ahead and do that fully focused when they should have been farming kills for REQ energy, so then later on we're all fucked going against something really hard at REQ 3 or 4.

EYEL1NER

It's pretty intimidating but that one is actually very doable because the guards are just normal soldiers. They die fast. There is enough time that your whole team could just dive bomb them and die on loop and even with the respawn timer you'd kill them before time runs out. You can also spawn scout warthogs to run over a bunch of the enemies in the road in front of them.

A problem I've noticed with randoms is when you can finish quickly by killing elites or hunters, they just go ahead and do that fully focused when they should have been farming kills for REQ energy, so then later on we're all fucked going against something really hard at REQ 3 or 4.
We actually beat that wave but lost round three. Round three was full of Phaeton Helmsmen that we needed to kill, the ground was covered with Ghosts, and no one had high enough REQ energy to be spawning even rail guns, let alone Spartan Lasers.

Fuchsdh

Destroying ghosts on Apex isn't that bad. Destroying knights on stormbreak tho... fucking hell. Most times I've played it my team just can't find the knights or can't beat them very quickly. However I just played it with a team of badasses and we still had one left that was guarded by 2 phateons and a ton of other enemies. Thing is, I'm sure that wasn't a problem so much as just getting to it since I've never seen knights killed so quickly as with this team, it was fucking sick how well we were doing. All 8 of us were together focusing them down, 2 of us were in banshees. But you have to kill a handful and then it spawns more and repeat, and it just took too long.

Aaaanyway I have to say Patrol case + Extra ammo DMR = Holy shit I can shoot forever. Same for the extra ammo SMG. This shit should be standard for Firefight.

Yeah this is a point I think players are missing. The fodder enemies aren't just there to be a distraction, they're there to get your REQ level up. You want BRs and to start calling in some vehicles by the second phase.

singhr1

So was there any details for the forge PC thing or was it just the release date?

No release date yet, still just Fall.

Just some WIP pics of the interface such as use both kb/m and controller on the fly, type in values, prefabs coming, a tutorial is going to be made and included for newcomers, and maybe some other things im not remembering.

File browser will let you use tags and screenshots with deep integrated search to find things.

Dice

We actually beat that wave but lost round three. Round three was full of Phaeton Helmsmen that we needed to kill, the ground was covered with Ghosts, and no one had high enough REQ energy to be spawning even rail guns, let alone Spartan Lasers.
Yeah round 3 phaetons on darkstar is laughably hard, especially because they are legendaries so they are really tough. I've only seen one destroyed with the whole team working on it. One person had a railgun and one had a hydra and that with everyone else shooting was just enough to bring one down and then we had maybe 20 seconds left.

Even if someone could spawn a tank, the four of them would focus it down no problem. It would have to be REQ5 ground weapons, at least, and even then one phateon only gets you 2 energy so you might not have the ammo for all four. I really wonder what they have in mind or if anyone managed to beat it before they sent it out.

Bessy67

It really sucks when people don't use reqs in firefight. If it's the 4th round and you're fighting 4 mantises, stop trying to shoot them with your BR...

EYEL1NER

I'm unsure which enemies I hate more now. Prometheans have always been annoying as shit when they warp in on top of your behind you and kill you before you even knew they were there, but the Covenant ships sniping you with massive-ass plasma balls before the troops they are offloading can even disembark is equally frustrating.

The way some of the rounds have gone for me makes me hope for a Warzone Firefight Turbo weekend in the future.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
rd 1 defend the armory against covenant = fuck yeah, this is a blast!

rd 1 defend the armory against prometheans = fuck this, bullet sponge hell. game over man, game over!

Dice

Here's an idea: What if REQ energy for kills was given to the whole team, not just the person who killed the enemy? Then the person who isn't all that good (or just has bad luck) isn't put into a more and more hopeless situation as rounds go on, and the whole team would be more likely to be able to deal with things like the phaetons on Darkstar. You could also have more fun experimenting with different types of REQs without worrying if you'll regret it next round. That said...

It really sucks when people don't use reqs in firefight. If it's the 4th round and you're fighting 4 mantises, stop trying to shoot them with your BR...
I think some people hold back, strategizing that they need to spend on round 5 instead of on killing mantises in round 4. Limited REQ energy, limited ammo. It sends things into a negative feedback loop, like in an RPG when you end up never using your item buffs/big heals because you don't know if this is the "right" boss to do that on or not, or with big guns in a survival horror. In order to enjoy the full array of things, people need to be confident it wouldn't be a mistake due to future unknowns.

rd 1 defend the armory against covenant = fuck yeah, this is a blast!

rd 1 defend the armory against prometheans = fuck this, bullet sponge hell. game over man, game over!
Bullet sponge, teleporting (this is thee worst part, fuck teleporting), area-blocking splinter grenades, near-instant light beam shots that obliterate your shields. Fuck prometheans. Especially when they get ICs and splinter turrets. But fuck their bullet sponge shit whenever you have to fight them away from a terminal. An entire magazine for one fucking soldier.

During the beta i rarely lost one. Idk its reallly surprising to myself im losing every single ff game. Look at my game history and im not lieing. Its a little depressing as i wont blame ff.. Even though all of us randoms couldnt find the ghosts until the 3 mins passed....

I'm not finding it that difficult. I only lost one game so far and every game has been with randoms.

Bessy67

I think some people hold back, strategizing that they need to spend on round 5 instead of on killing mantises in round 4. Limited REQ energy, limited ammo. It sends things into a negative feedback loop, like in an RPG when you end up never using your item buffs/big heals because you don't know if this is the "right" boss to do that on or not, or with big guns in a survival horror. In order to enjoy the full array of things, people need to be confident it wouldn't be a mistake due to future unknowns.

You build up energy so fast in the later rounds though. Lose a vehicle and chances are you can spawn with another one.

I'll use wasps early on if I have any, and usually won't use my first vehicle req until round 4, depending on the req level I'm at. If I get banshee raiders or ghosts in an early round, and I'm not even to req level 3 yet, I usually switch to the longshot AR with kinetic bolts. Seems to work okay even though it's slow goings. I'll use ghosts when I get frustrated by the AI getting cheap one shot kills.

Fuchsdh

I'll use wasps early on if I have any, and usually won't use my first vehicle req until round 4, depending on the req level I'm at. If I get banshee raiders or ghosts in an early round, and I'm not even to req level 3 yet, I usually switch to the longshot AR with kinetic bolts. Seems to work okay even though it's slow goings. I'll use ghosts when I get frustrated by the AI getting cheap one shot kills.

Yeah the Wasps are a godsend for dealing with early waves in WZ, you just need to make sure to bug out if they look like they're going to target you. It's also a powerful REQ you can call in early and recharge for calling in heavy guns later.

I know you are not lieing never said that :>

I guess it's probably the fact that halo is free and you matched with randoms that don't have reqs to use.

I played 10~ WFF games solo queue and won 8.
I usually spawn a wasp when i get 3 req energy and then another vehicle when i get 7 reqs

Yeah i know you didn't call me a liar, just was generally stating what is happening to me. Lol

I try to bring out the wasp but its usually too late or they all focus fire on me and i die.

But i really dislike vehicles and i now get the idea that i need vehicles in order to beat ff. Gg g0su rip

Bessy67

So what are your favorite and least favorite objectives so far?

I'd say my favorite is the double warden fight in the temple on the new map. It's the only reason you actually go to the cool top room and I really like it up there.

Least favorite is definitely defend the forerunner core on the urban map. There's only one core, it's right in the open, and the prometheans spawn literally 10 feet from it. I haven't gotten past that one once.

Dice

How do you get things to not target you when in a wasp? I've seen some teammates go two whole rounds raining hell with impunity, the AI just standing there doing nothing and dying. The second I hop in a wasp it's like the whole map is on to me, doesn't matter how far or high I fly away. One time I even hopped in one at the same time as a teammate to fight phaetons. They focused on me and ignored him, and even when I died he cleared out the other two without them shooting at him.

Youre just op.
Only losing one game he must be on a secret easy mode server or something.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
my favorite is rd 1 defend armory on ARC with covenant. lots of jackles, grunts, elites, and a good pistol. halo at its finest!

Fuchsdh

How do you get things to not target you when in a wasp? I've seen some teammates go two whole rounds raining hell with impunity, the AI just standing there doing nothing and dying. The second I hop in a wasp it's like the whole map is on to me, doesn't matter how far or high I fly away. One time I even hopped in one at the same time as a teammate to fight phaetons. They focused on me and ignored him, and even when I died he cleared out the other two without them shooting at him.

You just have to start moving out of the way the second you see the enemy look at you funny. Even normal Banshees can utterly shred a Wasp in seconds but it seems like the Warzone AI heavily prioritizes proximity and who's firing at it, so holding your fire and moving back seems to be enough for them to quickly lose interest.

Dice

You just have to start moving out of the way the second you see the enemy look at you funny. Even normal Banshees can utterly shred a Wasp in seconds but it seems like the Warzone AI heavily prioritizes proximity and who's firing at it, so holding your fire and moving back seems to be enough for them to quickly lose interest.
I mean like literally troops all over the map that I never even shot at will often be shooting at me, sometimes even as I just approach the battlefield while flying high, coming in from the red warning zone. Can't fly away fast enough because it isn't a fast vehicle. Then another time I watch a teammate clear two hunters and all the enemies around them while I'm on respawn timer screen, and they are just standing there getting killed. Maybe it has to do with leaderboard standings? I'm very often at the top of the list after round 1. So maybe if you're toward the bottom it decides you must not be dangerous enough to pay attention to?

Dice

How many Firefight wins are required to get the commendation? I think I'm on stage 4 with like 37 wins to stage 5 o_o
I have 19 wins to go before level 5 but maybe always-winning Forerunner can enlighten us. ;)

TCKaos

Good lord, I knew that Tidal's lighting had some issues but I didn't know it was going to take like 15 minutes to generate.

As soon as I started adding complex structures and bases and some lights suddenly all that shit starts outright murdering the lighting system.

The only Proms I find really excessively tough are the Soldiers with the turrets, which seem to absorb waaaaaaay more fire than I expect them to, every time. Regular Soldiers could stand to be a little flimsier, but it's not so bad.

Big reason Proms as a whole feel like bullet sponges is because their hit feedback still isn't great. Soldiers in particular basically ignore your shots until you break their armor, at which point they either die (because you hit the weak point) or... they go back to ignoring your shots until you finally kill them.

Dice

at which point they either die (because you hit the weak point) or... they go back to ignoring your shots until you finally kill them.
Or immediately use his invincible teleport escape to go around the corner and find a spartan busy fighting his buddies and throw a splinter grenade in their back.

I've had one keep teleporting back and forth to dodge my shot and then shoot back, and when I really focused to keep my aim on him so he couldn't shoot, he chain teleported like 100 yards right up to knee me in the face. Complete bullshit that endless teleporting. Especially with aim assist dragging your crosshairs away because of other enemies when you try to track them through a crowd.

I mean like literally troops all over the map that I never even shot at will often be shooting at me, sometimes even as I just approach the battlefield while flying high, coming in from the red warning zone. Can't fly away fast enough because it isn't a fast vehicle. Then another time I watch a teammate clear two hunters and all the enemies around them while I'm on respawn timer screen, and they are just standing there getting killed. Maybe it has to do with leaderboard standings? I'm very often at the top of the list after round 1. So maybe if you're toward the bottom it decides you must not be dangerous enough to pay attention to?
Stop flying so high. If you're getting shot, fly low and break sight lines. If you're as high as possible, of course everything on the map can see you.

Or immediately use his invincible teleport escape to go around the corner and find a spartan busy fighting his buddies and throw a splinter grenade in their back.

I've had one keep teleporting back and forth to dodge my shot and then shoot back, and when I really focused to keep my aim on him so he couldn't shoot, he chain teleported like 100 yards right up to knee me in the face. Complete bullshit that endless teleporting. Especially with aim assist dragging your crosshairs away because of other enemies when you try to track them through a crowd.

Huh.

I have never had anything like that happen, lol. AI playing games with you, bro.

mo60

Yeah round 3 phaetons on darkstar is laughably hard, especially because they are legendaries so they are really tough. I've only seen one destroyed with the whole team working on it. One person had a railgun and one had a hydra and that with everyone else shooting was just enough to bring one down and then we had maybe 20 seconds left.

Even if someone could spawn a tank, the four of them would focus it down no problem. It would have to be REQ5 ground weapons, at least, and even then one phateon only gets you 2 energy so you might not have the ammo for all four. I really wonder what they have in mind or if anyone managed to beat it before they sent it out.

That round 3 is just plain awful. Any team I was on could never get rid of any of the phaetons before time ran out.

EYEL1NER

I hate how tempting that noob REQ pack is to me. I don't want to spend $10 just to get the extended mag Magnum right now. With my luck, that would have been the next thing I would have unlocked from a Silver pack anyway. I want it though...

I guess what I really want is to win another FF match. Been a while since it has happened. We just got to Wave 5 on Urban but the final part of the wave was the three Wardans. Not many people were spawning anything. One guy had a tank but wasn't doing any damage, and another guy spawned a tank but it spawned inside that base, meaning a shitton of Prometheans were at the top of the ramp. They kept hitting him with energy weapons that stunned the tank and trapped him on the ramp; I don't think he even got a shot off. I spawned an Answer and an Overshield 2 and died to a cluster of Knights outside the base before I could even get in, leaving me with no hardly no REQ energy as time wound down.

Dice

I tried flying the wasp really low and that worked. However, the game just totally fucked my team by not giving us more hunters to fight. I was flying around so I could easily see whenever they brought in a ship to drop off new hunters, and they simply didn't for a whole minute and a half.

Also this ranking on one game... uhhh...

c3yFFAC.png
So in the last round I put in tons of work on the two legendary knights and mythic wardens with a sword banshee but didn't get the last hits on any of them so it said "teammates eliminated" on all of them. So no boss points, go from 1st-the-whole-game to second-to-last-ending and RIP ranking bonuses. I hope they have some legit technical-difficulties excuse as to why damage dealt on bosses seems to have a 5 second attention span.

klaus

I tried flying the wasp really low and that worked.

Absolutely, it's the only way to survive in the wasp for more than a few seconds. Btw I'm pretty sure the enemies have a shared "threat level" for each spartan that increases whenever you do damage, with a relatively slow cooldown - whenever I had a killing streak going on, it feels like every enemy on the map is out to get me :)

PS: My current favorite combo is wheelman combined with a temple ghost. You are faster than light, nimble as hell and can shoot and dodge while boosting. It's super efficient when going up against ground troops (apart from knights, wardens and the grunt mech ofc), just run over them and you'll be gone before the others can start firing, rinse and repeat.

Dice

WTF my ghost teleported to outside

PS: My current favorite combo is wheelman combined with a temple ghost. You are faster than light, nimble as hell and can shoot and dodge while boosting. It's super efficient when going up against ground troops (apart from knights, wardens and the grunt mech ofc), just run over them and you'll be gone before the others can start firing, rinse and repeat.
Oh I didn't know it can fire while boosting. I preferred wheelman+ghost ultra because the splash damage does better versus a few enemy types, but using boost fire could have awesome applications.

klaus

Yeah ghost ultra is awesome, particularly for the satisfying click - click you get when hitting the target. But still, the maneouvrability (spelling?) of the temple ghost is very much worth it, at least imo.

Yeah that is what I use on Firefight well that and my H2 BR ;)
Jorge gets it! :) Before getting the H2BR cert, I was kind of thinking it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but now that I finally have it I can't play warzone without it. As soon as I hit level 4 I immediately switch. feel so good. Dang game made me unlock every other loadout cert first and I had all but 2 or 3 weapon certs total left >:-(

Nowise10

I feel like every new update for Halo 5 patches 1 bug, but then adds in another 5-6 bugs. Mainmenu keeps freezing, the stuttering in Warzone is still happening, getting kicked from games still, search preferences don't work anymore. So many things..

EYEL1NER

Just loot my 10th straight WZFF match of the day. I guess I'll switch over to WZ Assault so I can at least get a WZ Daily.
EDIT: I posted this when a match on Sanctum was loading and we won it. Sanctum seems to be the only map I can win a WZFF match on. Out of a couple dozen matches over the last two or three days, I have won four I think, and three of those were on Sanctum.
EDIT 2: I just unlocked the achievement for successfully completing five FF matches. But I did not receive any gold packs for my fifth win. The Message of the Day indicates that I am supposed to get three gold req packs for my fifth win. So that sucks. I only received the WZ and WZ FF Daily for winning and bought a silver pack with points I had accumulated.

Jorge gets it! :) Before getting the H2BR cert, I was kind of thinking it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but now that I finally have it I can't play warzone without it. As soon as I hit level 4 I immediately switch. feel so good. Dang game made me unlock every other loadout cert first and I had all but 2 or 3 weapon certs total left >:-(

Hell yeah I also always have the H2BR on Warzone

Dice

I just unlocked Increased Strength. Should be handy in normal WZ because I am never giving up Patrol Case in FF.

extended mag weapons + extended mag armor mod is legit :O
Try it with DMR if you have the extra ammo one. You can kill a knight without reloading.

Top Bottom