• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I don't remember honestly, but whenever players blend in with scenery that's not good. No matter what game. Halo 5 has also the issue with the lighting on BTB maps. The sun is too strong in some maps. Nobody needs Lens Flare.

It was mentioned in tha Play Anywhere thread. Lots of people saying that they don't need an Xbox anymore.

It was a problem on the H2 days

Trup1aya

Sorry but you can't compare FF from the Old titles to this one, especially since you could change the difficulty to your likings in the old FFs

It just feels like outright Bullshit when the things that make the mode hard are just dumb design decisions like boss placements, respawn timer, in general time distribution etc.

Ofc nerfing it won't change the result, the mode is clearly intended to be beat with working as a team and making pushes as a team, the mode can't be balanced or nerfed because dumbwits play the mode who don't play the objecvtive in the mind of a team

Cast speak for reach, because I found all but the SP to be terrible.

In ODST, Could you change the difficulty? Or did you just change the round you started in? Pretty sure it was the latter.

Anyway, from where I sit, Firefight was never for the faint of heart. Enemies always got more bullet spongy as the rounds progressed. The less organized you were, the earlier your game ended.

This version has issues But difficulty isn't one of them.
The biggest issue is that you can be Matchmade with clueless people. ODST solved this by not having matchmaking at all (if I remember correctly)

BizzyBum

Firefight is easy. Just have everyone spawn Hannibal vehicles with Wheelman and hope nothing is indoors!

But seriously, I'm already running out of my really good reqs. :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Difficulty is "not a problem" in terms of "getting it right" as in being like past FF modes in your eyes. But how many people do consider it a problem? Telling them they are simply wrong about what is enjoyable is not really a good strategy for securing a fanbase. Yes, some people don't enjoy the game if it doesn't stress test their skill and teamwork. Yes, there is matchmaking now, a very large change, and the unorganized masses will never have it together like a team of people who don't need matchmaking because they have each other. How do you escape having to pick one group over the other with your design? Options.

I mostly like the difficulty level right now in terms of how hard it is to kill things (except for soldiers cheap invulnerable teleport escape), and would probably get bored with easier. Matchmaking will always be a crapshoot for teamwork and people actually using REQs, which is where a lot of the fun comes in, and that won't be helped if it's easy enough that people can completely get away with using only loadouts. However, I still have the sensibility to know that with so many people thinking it is way too hard, you aren't going to make the situation better just by telling them to git gud.

Options gives them training wheels to practice and they may scale up challenge when they develop skills and awareness. This would not only keep them out of more difficult matches so that those have higher quality teamwork, but would eventually add more people to that skilled pool rather than drive them away or generate a call to nerf the mode. Not being exactly what FF has always been is beside the point if what you are considering is options rather than changing the whole thing for everyone.

Daemul

Haha, just when I come to ask for help to beat FF I find you guys already discussing it.

Today was the first time since January that I've been able to play Halo due to school work and I've really been looking forward to FF. I think it's good, there's some weird boss placements here and there and I'm not a fan of the long respawn timer, but overall it's fine. Playing with randoms is rough though, none of the teams I've been on have managed to make it past round 3, we just get overrun. I think it mostly has to do with how stingy my teammates are with their REQ's tbh, they refuse to use them and help the rest of the team out. You see dudes trying to fight a foot battle with their Assault Rifles against bosses and you wonder what the fuck they're doing.

Whether FF should be made easier, I'm not sure on that one. Yeah, idiot teammates are frustrating but the difficulty makes it interesting I think.

Trup1aya

Difficulty is "not a problem" in terms of "getting it right" as in being like past FF modes in your eyes. But how many people do consider it a problem? Telling them they are simply wrong about what is enjoyable is not really a good strategy for securing a fanbase. Yes, some people don't enjoy the game if it doesn't stress test their skill and teamwork. Yes, there is matchmaking now, a very large change, and the unorganized masses will never have it together like a team of people who don't need matchmaking because they have each other. How do you escape having to pick one group over the other with your design? Options.

I mostly like the difficulty level right now in terms of how hard it is to kill things (except for soldiers cheap invulnerable teleport escape), and would probably get bored with easier. Matchmaking will always be a crapshoot for teamwork and people actually using REQs, which is where a lot of the fun comes in, and that won't be helped if it's easy enough that people can completely get away with using only loadouts. However, I still have the sensibility to know that with so many people thinking it is way too hard, you aren't going to make the situation better just by telling them to git gud.

Options gives them training wheels to practice and they may scale up challenge when they develop skills and awareness. This would not only keep them out of more difficult matches so that those have higher quality teamwork, but would eventually add more people to that skilled pool rather than drive them away or generate a call to nerf the mode. Not being exactly what FF has always been is beside the point if what you are considering is options rather than changing the whole thing for everyone.

It was never going to be like FF. It's Warzone Firefight. The only similarity it has with Firefight of old is that it's PvE and it's difficult. And I have nothing against options, whatsoever. But difficulty options, is clearly something that would have taken more time to develop.

Considering they implemented Reqs and matchmaking (and the fact that this mode was unplanned) i think they've kicked out a great mode in a timely fashion. I'm perfectly fine with them prioritizing difficult FF over being kind and gentle. And I'd be fine with them tweak the bugs, and spawns before they consider making it more casual friendly. Especially when the number one critism from the beta was that is was too easy to beat w/o coordination.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of WZFF is right now.

I'm not sure it's so much challenge as just being boring- unless you want to use a lot of rare REQs, which I am loathe to do against AI.

It's probably a limitation of the engine, but it would be more engaging to have more numerous but weaker enemies, so that loadout weapons felt more viable. Dumping a mag to get one Soldier is just not that fun, especially when you then have to disengage to find more ammo.

And for that matter, neither is waiting for super long to respawn. Pretty sure dying and losing whatever REQ I had was punishment enough for having the gall to let 8 knights spawn near me.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
We're tracking success/fail rates on every objective and every map and highlighting outliers that are either too punishing or pushovers. Along with that we have tons of extra data points we'll continue to track as we evaluate options to ensure players are getting the intended challenge experience.

We knew there would always be potential for wild difficulty swings due to the nature of matchmaking, but we felt that ensuring folks without a friends list bursting at the seams were not left out was more important. Just know that we're paying attention to everyone's in-game experience and will continue to work and make improvements to that experience.

IHaveIce

Banned
Cast speak for reach, because I found all but the SP to be terrible.

In ODST, Could you change the difficulty? Or did you just change the round you started in? Pretty sure it was the latter.

Anyway, from where I sit, Firefight was never for the faint of heart. Enemies always got more bullet spongy as the rounds progressed. The less organized you were, the earlier your game ended.

This version has issues But difficulty isn't one of them.
The biggest issue is that you can be Matchmade with clueless people. ODST solved this by not having matchmaking at all (if I remember correctly)

In Odst you could also only choose the difficulty.

Yeah I have no issues with any enemies so far in the mode, it is only due to mates being terrible.

We're tracking success/fail rates on every objective and every map and highlighting outliers that are either too punishing or pushovers. Along with that we have tons of extra data points we'll continue to track as we evaluate options to ensure players are getting the intended challenge experience.

We knew there would always be potential for wild difficulty swings due to the nature of matchmaking, but we felt that ensuring folks without a friends list bursting at the seams were not left out was more important. Just know that we're paying attention to everyone's in-game experience and will continue to work and make improvements to that experience.

Plz give me super sayin req as ive lost every single firefight match ive played.... (beta matches excluded)

Dice

I gotta say I'm really confused between Forerunner and G0SU's results. I wonder if there is really different difficulties being run on different servers to get metrics on all of them and see what plays out best? I imagine if it were true no one would be allowed to tell us.

Edit: One of my best moments was actually in a hopelessly losing match. It was defend the generators on Darkstar. I went into some kind of crazy berserk mode and I was two-shotting knights with a scattershot, switching on and off pistol for crawlers, tossing stolen grenades at soldiers, melee finishing anything in between and somehow dodging everything in the process. I did eventually get beat, and they did destroy the generators since all they have to do is live for 1 second to fire an IC or rocket turret once (teammates used those to clear more outside) and after enough of those the generators are gone, but man did it draw a whole different level of play out of me.

Ade

Ive played almost exclusively with randoms, and my stats (excluding ARC due to the beta) are:

Stormbreak 2/7
Sanctum 3/6
Apex 7 1/4
Urban 0/4
Darkstar 2/3

It feels "right" to me, that's 8 wins out of 24 matches with randoms, so a 1/3 win rate.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Difficulty seems fine to me, with the exception of the defend the core. Traveling half way across the map to get to a core that is at 75% when you he there and are heavily outnumbered sucks, but its not impossible.

Other than that one thing its great.

Leyasu

Banned
I'm not color blind, but the rooms with the Lava are a clear advantage for Team Red players. It's pretty stupid.

I'm glad that is not just me.. I was wondering what colour they could replace red with ? A bright green or yellow perhaps. I quite like molten though.

Other halos didnt have problems like this? Honest question.

I can't remember dude.

I don't remember honestly, but whenever players blend in with scenery that's not good. No matter what game. Halo 5 has also the issue with the lighting on BTB maps. The sun is too strong in some maps. Nobody needs Lens Flare.

This. The whole BTB situation makes me sad.

Anyway, after a good couple of months without halo, I finally got back into it this weekend. Focused matchmaking all the way. Apart from one or two lopsided matches due to ranks, played like a dream. Damn halo 5 is a fucking awesome game.

It's probably a limitation of the engine, but it would be more engaging to have more numerous but weaker enemies, so that loadout weapons felt more viable. Dumping a mag to get one Soldier is just not that fun, especially when you then have to disengage to find more ammo.
or you could just pick up a suppressor and strip their shields and one shot the soldier

or you know, complain that the game is poorly designed

I enjoyed Reach's FF much more and ODST was just another level all together. WZ FF is ok for a bit, but I found myself getting bored of it. Maybe it's because I have a lot of reqs and I can pretty much just spam whatever I feel like. It's probably another reason why I rarely lose any of my games. Overall it's alright, it's pretty much a mode where I can not put that much effort into and just chill.

fernoca

I do love, when the first 4 rounds go well and fast, that we all start round 5 with Tanks ready to whatever comes at us. XD

I'm not sure it's so much challenge as just being boring- unless you want to use a lot of rare REQs, which I am loathe to do against AI.

And for that matter, neither is waiting for super long to respawn. Pretty sure dying and losing whatever REQ I had was punishment enough for having the gall to let 8 knights spawn near me.
This.

singhr1

It's warzone firefight for a reason, if you don't use REQs you won't win/have fun. If you don't want to use REQs, don't play is all I can tell you.

Like, you're getting RP possibly as fast/faster than normal Warzone. What else are you going to use the REQs on?

Some REQs are better for WZFF, some are better for normal Warzone. Like use your tanks, wraiths, and mantises in WZFF. Don't use snipers or railguns. Pretty simple.

Yall see how the hunter at round 5 predicted me coming up the stairs and killed me instantly at the entrance?

Idk how long ill play ff tbh.

it was funny

lol i love how sour people are becoming and we aren't even a week since its release

or you could use your head goop and understand the larger point.

Soldiers aren't the only spongy things in the game, that was just a specific example. Knights and too many of the bosses are almost pointless to fight unless you crack out an expensive REQ.

To your specific point, there's a big difference between weapons available through scavenging and what you can spawn with. I use prom weapons against prometheans when I can get one and it makes sense (i.e., at shorter ranges), but again the problem is getting them.

There are cheap good REQs to use on them. Razor's edge, hailstrom, any of the turrets, a warthog or ghost. All of these are 3 or lower REQ

or you could just pick up a suppressor and strip their shields and one shot the soldier

or you know, complain that the game is poorly designed

Soldiers aren't the only spongy things in the game, that was just a specific example. Knights and too many of the bosses are almost pointless to fight unless you crack out an expensive REQ.

To your specific point, there's a big difference between weapons available through scavenging and what you can spawn with. I use prom weapons against prometheans when I can get one and it makes sense (i.e., at shorter ranges), but again the problem is getting them.

Knights aren't even that bad. They have big glowing orbs you shoot and then they yell and you shoot them in the mouth. If you're talking about mythic level bosses then I don't know what you expect. There has to be some difficulty to it other than being 8 player campaign coop essentially.

I don't have many REQs as I barely played when the game released and only just started playing again like a week ago. There's more than enough weapons on the floor that can be scavenged and used effectively against non-bosses.

I'd love WZFF to get a Brute or Banished expansion, It's never happening but it would be great to have Brutes back in the mix. Hammer chieftains, Choppers, Spikers, Brute shots, Maulers and Spike nades. Fist of Rukt and Atriox Energy Mace legendary Req's

I really like the settled design for Brutes 343 have right now.

HW2_-_Atriox_promotional.png

Hopefully WZFF will return in Halo 6 with the options of

Covenant Loyalists
Prometheans
Banished
Flood

PSA: USE NEEDLERS AGAINST KNIGHTS

A HAILSTORM CAN LITERALLY SHRED ENDURANCE-OF-WILL, THE DIDACT'S PRIZED ROBOSOLDIER MANSOUL GUY, IN A MATTER OF SECONDS

SERIOUSLY, GO LOOK IT UP ON THE INTERNET OR SOMETHING

Karl2177

Enemy design under 343 hasn't been great. When I kill an AI, I don't feel like I outsmarted it, and when I die to an AI it doesn't feel like it outsmarted me. It just feels cheap on both ends. "Oh it had a one-shot weapon and knew I was walking around the corner based on literally no evidence whatsoever." "Oh, it's an Elite. It's just going to mindlessly stroll to its destination allowing me to shoot it until it gets there." "That Soldier has teleported to 5 different locations. I wonder when I'll be able to shoot it and actually have the damage persist." "Oh that boss can kill anything in one hit and it's health bar doesn't decrease when I pump an entire Sniper mag into it."

I'm pretty sure people develop narcolepsy when they have to play against Halo's AI nowadays.

For me the bosses themselves aren't the real problem. Some of the mythics are really fun encounters. I think the issue is all the adds that some of them spawn in addition to their own AI hair/strats. The double mythic wardens on Urban might actually be fun and challenging (they run around the map chasing and trying to escape and have multiple attacks) but the encounter is straight fucked because you have to fight high level knights, ultra banshees, ultra wraiths, and shitloads of soldiers and crawlers. All of this after already fighting the first bosses at the garage.

Perhaps the biggest problem is urban itself, in firefight. There are hundreds of unnecessary blockades all over that make vehicle maneuvering a pain in the ass on what should be a vehicle friendly map. The encounter would be just as challenging, but more fun and less annoying I'd you only had a bunch of mythics to try to beat in five minutes. At least then strategies would matter.

I agree. It's more fun having a shitload of weaker enemies then bullet sponges that require your best req cards.

Trup1aya

That's pretty much an inherent disconnect between Bungie halos, 343 Halo's and the inclusion of Reqs.

Being Warzone Firefight, there was always going to be pressure to use some Reqs. That's not the issue IMO. the problem is Promethean enemy encounter design continues to lag behind that of the Covenant.

In previous games any weapon was effective against any enemy in one way or another. Against prometheans though, they are bullet sponges unless you weaken them with promethean weapons first. I wish they could find another way to make the 343 additions to the sandbox useful against AI.

Enemy design under 343 hasn't been great. When I kill an AI, I don't feel like I outsmarted it, and when I die to an AI it doesn't feel like it outsmarted me. It just feels cheap on both ends. "Oh it had a one-shot weapon and knew I was walking around the corner based on literally no evidence whatsoever." "Oh, it's an Elite. It's just going to mindlessly stroll to its destination allowing me to shoot it until it gets there." "That Soldier has teleported to 5 different locations. I wonder when I'll be able to shoot it and actually have the damage persist." "Oh that boss can kill anything in one hit and it's health bar doesn't decrease when I pump an entire Sniper mag into it."

I'm pretty sure people develop narcolepsy when they have to play against Halo's AI nowadays.

Firstly, agreed on bullet sponges and OHK.

Overall for the numbers on screen I think the AI is pretty intelligent in terms of handling groups or map routes etc. Check this one out, perhaps a solid example of some randies working well and the AI making "swarm" choices on the fly without hesitating. I parked a Mongoose in the doorway to see what the AI would do. We held the bottom inside of the base in the first round for over 1 minute to clear the round really fast.

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/345dde45-237a-4262-89b1-3e84c8d0c928

The AI never stopped and got caught on the Mongoose/doorway, they easily took the other door route for the most part. Occasionally, again without pause, a soldier would come from the left wider door trying to slip in. We even had some teleports on to the roof to get at us. The randies and myself just lined up and laid waste to waves of the crawlers on soldiers as a group held up defending the base.

Pretty sweet if you ask me. Sure the AI could have gone a step further similar to infection style play by building up their forces then overwhelming us. However, what are you expecting? Perfect AI in such dynamic map locales and combat encounters isn't ever going to be 100%. Sure the AI could be updated to bring a soldier in to blow up or melee the Mongoose out of the way but overall I felt very satisfied with the encounter and little AI experiment outcome.

I can agree there are some wildly varying encounters and map positions with respect to the AI elements. Then again I also enjoy the toughness of Firefight and don't mind losing 50% of games so far.

On another note, what the hell happened here? Latency or a cheat of some kind. This games' connection was near perfect apart from this one key moment to lose the game, I feel like I'm seeing ill-timed latency teleports at key times more and more in the last few weeks. Is there a tiny standby cheat players can kick in for their player against the servers? I played some onyx Arena Aussie players, and got stomped bigtime, but they had some encounters like this early in the game to establish dominance.

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/6f42fbae-59d9-43b9-8acd-973468db6a86

My cousins (none of which are hardcore gamers- in fact, they are the typical Halo "noobs") have told me they have been playing Firefight incessantly for the past few days. I'd join them if I wasn't on vacation. The mode is incredible fun. Halo's AI is still the best I've ever seen. And fighting dozens of enemies at once without an ounce of lag is a joy I could've barely imagined years ago.

That's pretty much an inherent disconnect between Bungie halos, 343 Halo's and the inclusion of Reqs.

Being Warzone Firefight, there was always going to be pressure to use some Reqs. That's not the issue IMO. the problem is Promethean enemy encounter design continues to lag behind that of the Covenant.

In previous games any weapon was effective against any enemy in one way or another. Against prometheans though, they are bullet sponges unless you weaken them with promethean weapons first. I wish they could find another way to make the 343 additions to the sandbox useful against AI.

REQs are part of the game, true, but somehow making their use de facto mandatory to win at all feels pretty bleh to me. I'd rather they be a way to get a record streak, or record time, or some other clearly defined gameplay carrot (complete with a reward).

Not that any of that is easy or going to happen.

Maybe the larger problem is right now I feel like beating a Firefight match is more like completing than winning.

Hm, I think it's all tied together. Most AI, Prometheans in particular, are fundamentally not that fun to fight in Halo 5, which makes their sponginess all the more annoying.

We had one mythic warden inside the home base. He made his way inside the narrowed hallway/bridge towards the core room while we were killing him. There was literally 15 seconds left he decides to hide into the core room but gets stuck in the door way and unable to get heavy shots on him with tanks, etc. Fortunately, we got him with 1 second left on the clock and just barely won...

Why you do this 434?! Dem intents moments

I like fighting the Prometheans and don't find them to be as boring or cheap as they were in H4, or how some find them to be in H5. It feels satisfying when you shoot them in their glowing bits and they explode as they lose parts of their armor. I think the teleporting and their death animations are cool. The only frustrating part to me is how sometimes you find yourself in an unfortunate situation where 29083740234234 of those fuckers appear right on top of you lol, but even then sometimes it can be chalked up to "Maybe I shouldn't have been standing in the open.."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trup1aya

I like fighting the Prometheans and don't find them to be as boring or cheap as they were in H4, or how some find them to be in H5. It feels satisfying when you shoot them in their glowing bits and they explode as they lose parts of their armor. I think the teleporting and their death animations are cool. The only frustrating part to me is how sometimes you find yourself in an unfortunate situation where 29083740234234 of those fuckers appear right on top of you lol, but even then sometimes it can be chalked up to "Maybe I shouldn't have been standing in the open.."

¯_(ツ)_/¯

There just isn't s creative meta to go along with defeating the Promethean enemies. Less a problem with the H5 Knights when compared to the soldiers.

With the Elites, it's always like a game of chess... You are typically outgunned and weaker than their squad. But there are multiple tools at your disposal to even the odds. Use stealth for a melee, pop shields with a PP, stick em with a plasma, nadeshot em, supercombine em, or widdle them down the old fashioned way.

When you get to the promethean soldiers it's- widdle them down then shoot their weak point. That's it. And the visual feedback you get when widdling them down isn't even informative or rewarding. It's a slog.

At the very least, they should make them more like Jackals and Hunters, With hard to hit, but constantly exposed weak spots. And have them actually respond to being shot.

BizzyBum

Urban seems to be the toughest map to win in firefight. Sanctum seems to be the easiest. I just had a round 5 on Sanctum where we had to defend 3 crystals and it was definitely the easiest round 5 I've played so far.

Darkstar: 1-4
Stormbreak: 1-4
Arc: 11-7
Urban: 0-3
Sanctum: 5-2
Apex: 1-4

Dice

Being magically teleporting, unflinching, deathbeam shooting, splinter-casting walking shields is not a very interactive experience. Usually in short to mid range it means it's just a dying experience. The only smart engagement is engagement from far away behind cover, and even that can be tricky with their instantaneous perfect fire. Covenant has various ways to deal with them from any range because they respond to your fire, have weaknesses, have shots you can dodge, and can't magically teleport away when weak or teleport to behind and beside you at the same time when you take cover. Fighting them is dynamic, but fighting soldiers is static.

Top Bottom