• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Oh my. I wish I had played some regular warzone sooner. Already back at work, but I played a couple of games beforehand and you can definitely tell that there are a lot of new players playing. Can 343 extend the free-to-play for another week please? I don't normally like donging on new players. No scratch that. I do.

golem

Sanctum 5-1
Urban 0-6
Arc 1-4
Darkstar 1-4
Stormbreak 0-4
Apex 1-3

Urban seems to be a tough cookie, once the fliers hit its over (rd 3?)

Interesting matchmaking!

Screenshot-Original.png

I played terribly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So my team actually beat the 3 boss Round 5 on Apex but I noticed they switched out Pipap for a normal Grunt Mech.

Went from SR16 to SR20 over the weekend in Warzone FF. Still have the same 1 tank, 1 banshee, 1 mantis I've had total in my REQ collection to date. Still no armor mods and still no weapons with extended mags. Used 5 ghosts and got three back in card packs. Used 5 plasma pistols and got none back in my 8 opened card packs.

If I'm meant to look beyond my loadout weapons and scavenging and burn power weapons and vehicles every match, 343 is sure as fuck stingy enough with them that that's not happening any time soon.

RNG inventory in legendary+ difficulty modes that require it is a shit idea. RNG single use items where enemies can easily one hit you randomly or spawn in around you and focus fire on you in half a second is a shit idea.

TCKaos

Went from SR16 to SR20 over the weekend in Warzone FF. Still have the same 1 tank, 1 banshee, 1 mantis I've had total in my REQ collection to date. Still no armor mods and still no weapons with extended mags. Used 5 ghosts and got three back in card packs. Used 5 plasma pistols and got none back in my 8 opened card packs.

If I'm meant to look beyond my loadout weapons and scavenging and burn power weapons and vehicles every match, 343 is sure as fuck stingy enough with them that that's not happening any time soon.

RNG inventory in legendary+ difficulty modes that require it is a shit idea. RNG single use items where enemies can easily one hit you randomly or spawn in around you and focus fire on you in half a second is a shit idea.

Well, I mean, welcome to Warzone?

It never gets better. Never ever. Not until you've unlocked all of the REQs, which you might get around to at SR 140ish. Then you get a shitload of boosts and get refunded for buying REQ packs. Currently I only pay 4000 REQ for Golds and 2000 REQ for Silvers, each of which gives me 4 boosts that might be RP or XP. I now have 150,000+ RP at all times. I have so many REQs that I'll never be able to feasibly use them all. Except Wasps, Hannibal vehicles and Oni tanks and mantises. You never get those.

It's a shit system that needs to be rebalanced. You need to be able to buy packs of non-permanent cards for the price I pay for them.You should start with at least the base variant of each loadout weapon. I don't understand how this isn't a thing yet.

This is kind of a specifically big deal in Firefight because sometimes you just need REQs. You need the Railgun, or the Whiplash, or the Hydra, or a Ghost Ultra, and you don't have them. At least in standard Warzone you can still outskill shit kids with good REQs, you can't really outsmart the 100+ adds that spawn with the Warden on Urban.

Gwyn

Yep it sucks for new players but if you had the game for a long time and played once every month what did you expect?

SR 16 is really low so what you say is that you want all the cool stuff without playing the game.

Edit: Current system is not perfect but we get free updates

Personally, I'm not a big fan of WZFF is right now.

I'm not sure it's so much challenge as just being boring- unless you want to use a lot of rare REQs, which I am loathe to do against AI.

It's probably a limitation of the engine, but it would be more engaging to have more numerous but weaker enemies, so that loadout weapons felt more viable. Dumping a mag to get one Soldier is just not that fun, especially when you then have to disengage to find more ammo.

And for that matter, neither is waiting for super long to respawn. Pretty sure dying and losing whatever REQ I had was punishment enough for having the gall to let 8 knights spawn near me.

Agreed.

Another solution to make bosses more compelling is upping the 'bullet-hell' strafe gameplay. Playing earlier, a bunch of Knights spawned with Incineration Cannons, and the encounter felt fantastic. The entire team were thrusting and weaving between projectiles to dodge their shots; on that note, an AOE attack that travelled strictly along the ground, forcing players to time a jump (and stabilise) to avoid, would be a nice addition.

Dice

I decided I was sick of fighting prometheans and wasn't going to REQ shit.

Ended up winning Darkstar top of the leaderboard.

trolololololo

jfoul

Finally got to sit down with the new update after my trip to Portland. Really liking Firefight so far, and I was pleasantly surprised to get a Gruntpocalypse. Getting all of these free Reqs makes it super easy for me to top off an update, so I barely had to use my 600k+ RP. Definitely noticing the injection of new players, which is great. Keep running free play time with discounts!

Halo players act all high and mighty because they play a game that takes skill but the average player is a fucking dumbass who deserves to have their hands amputated.

Fuck randoms

nillapuddin

I posted this in my groups telegram tonight (I only play with full lobbies, and have about 4-6 ppl I play with daily)

In this game...

I play perfectly matched games more than ever*
I get pooped on more than ever**
I poop on other teams less than ever***

This has lead me to this conclusion

YdXqtIql.png

If we start winning too much we get easily humbled by an elite team, without fail.

* by a very large margin
** by a small margin
*** by a very large margin

The greats are great, and the awfuls are more awful-er than ever before

Sai

In the last round of Warzone Firefight, a horde of Knights, Soldiers, and Crawlers spawned all around me while I was in a Tundra Scorpion on Urban earlier yesterday. No timer to alert me, just suddenly dumped them around me.

We weren't winning that round anyways. But I thought it was kinda odd how they just abruptly popped in like that. None of the usual cues—like the aforementioned timer, or the Promethean teleport—were there.

Yeah, need the coop one. Done for tonight though. I'll be on again tomorrow.
Can you toss me a message when you're set to tackle this? Gamertag's the same as my username here.

I've found myself on Escape from A.R.C. an unnatural amount of times on Firefight, versus all the other games I've played.

• A.R.C.: 22 games (14 wins)
  • Stormbreak: 8 games (2 wins)
  • Sanctum: 7 games (4 wins)
  • Darkstar: 6 games (3 wins)
  • Urban: 5 games (2 wins)
  • Apex: 4 games (1 win)
This might need to be looked into. Escape from A.R.C. seems to be weighted really heavily for me. Going by the 52 matches I've played, A.R.C. has come up 42% of the time. That's kinda silly. Obviously WZFF has more serious issues, but I've played on this map so much more than all the others in this mode.

SR 16 is really low so what you say is that you want all the cool stuff without playing the game.
I only want the cool stuff because I need the cool stuff to be viable. Warzone FF, as opposed to any of the previous Halo Firefights, quite literally requires the player to burn high level cards, by design.

So I guess that mode is only for people SR50+? SR100+? What level do you think is right to jump in?

But if 343 designed WZFF to cater to highest level players with a ton of REQs it was probably the worst thing they could showcase on a free demo weekend. Its exactly the kind of event to bring in new players with no REQs besides the starter packs.

The filler enemies really really need to be tuned down. Keep the high difficulty of bosses but for the love of god reduce smaller enemy spawns or health.

I posted this in my groups telegram tonight (I only play with full lobbies, and have about 4-6 ppl I play with daily)

In this game...

I play perfectly matched games more than ever*
I get pooped on more than ever**
I poop on other teams less than ever***

This has lead me to this conclusion

YdXqtIql.png

If we start winning too much we get easily humbled by an elite team, without fail.

* by a very large margin
** by a small margin
*** by a very large margin

The greats are great, and the awfuls are more awful-er than ever before

giphy.gif

Ade

I've found myself on Escape from A.R.C. an unnatural amount of times on Firefight, versus all the other games I've played.

This might need to be looked into. Escape from A.R.C. seems to be weighted really heavily for me. Going by the 52 matches I've played, A.R.C. has come up 42% of the time. That's kinda silly. Obviously WZFF has more serious issues, but I've played on this map so much more than all the others in this mode.

If you're going by your stats page, the beta was nothing but ARC and counted.

Dice

Warthogs are 100% useless without a friend because randoms will always suck at shooting or drive you into suicide zone. With that in mind, I was just doing round 3 wardens on apex and we probably could have won if this dude let me focus on killing knights for energy to get a solid REQ, but he kept harassing me with his warthog, bumping into me and such. He even drove over me and got warden-zapped out of it then came back to bug me more. On top of messing up my aim, it drew a lot of attention, ruining the point of my silencer.

Fucking randoms, man.

Also in another game enemies spawned outside then teleported into a building I was in to kill me before I could even exit, and then when I respawned this is how it went. Such great spawns. Much psychic enemies. Many perfect aims. Respawn timer very wow.

The filler enemies really really need to be tuned down. Keep the high difficulty of bosses but for the love of god reduce smaller enemy spawns or health.
Maybe they could approach it like Titanfall. Newer, lower REQ players tackle the lower level minions to capture spawn points closer to the objective, or otherwise help reduce spawn times.

Since the game mixes low REQ players with high REQ players, maybe it makes more sense to have some lower REQ objectives along with the high REQ ones there are now. High REQ to win the overall objective, but low REQ side objectives to help support the push, buff the team, or weaken bosses.

Gwyn

I only want the cool stuff because I need the cool stuff to be viable. Warzone FF, as opposed to any of the previous Halo Firefights, quite literally requires the player to burn high level cards, by design.

So I guess that mode is only for people SR50+? SR100+? What level do you think is right to jump in?

But if 343 designed WZFF to cater to highest level players with a ton of REQs it was probably the worst thing they could showcase on a free demo weekend. Its exactly the kind of event to bring in new players with no REQs besides the starter packs.

I agree with you that new players won't enjoy WFF with 0 reqs, don't get me wrong.

Too late to completely fix the REQ system, i guess the only thing they can do is increase req points earned from all game types.

About SR16 being low i said that because the game is already out for like 8 months and it takes few hours to get there but you are right you should be able to enjoy all the modes that the game offers even if you are low SR.

343 said at RTX that they might bring back classic FF

EYEL1NER

I can't wait until I get a full five Weapon Skin set of similar types. I have three of the Blue Steels and three of the Last Dawns but that is the best I can do, I can't seem to complete any sets. It feels like those are going to be the last Silver packs I open. I have gotten the Honest Abe or whatever the eagle is called, the Spirit of Fire, the pizza and French fries, an Ultra Rare Ruptive DMR skin, but I would rather just have a full set of matching skins.

I also didn't have to play near as long tonight to get a win. I just had a match that went perfectly for me. It was on Darkstar and I JiP'd just in time for round two to start and for some Hunters to drop down on a Helipad. My REQ energy was low since I missed the whole first wave but I was able to pick up a BR and top of the ammo in it at a REQ station. I took out some Grunts and Elites for REQ energy while I plugged away at the backs of the Hunters from the Fortress as teammates were rushing them and making them turn. After that was a four Mantis wave. After that was a "Kill X Number of Soldiers" wave which we almost lost. We got down to one more soldier needed and there was no red arrow indicating where any were. I was in a red Wraith (forget what the 'red' nomenclature is, not Ultra but something) and was boosting around but nothing. We were spread out all over the map and finally as time wound down, a group appeared. The last wave saw four Legendary Promethean bosses, which I landed a shitton of hits on with my Wraith and got credit for all kills. A buff AF bright red Wardan Eternal spawned then and took out my Wraith after I scored some hits and ran over a bunch of soldiers. That was my only death of the match apparently but since it was a late wave, the respawn was killer. He had kind of low health at that point too, so I spawned a Banshee and just suicide rushed him alternating fire types while other vehicles poured on the fire. Got credit for that too.
I finished second place, 300 points away from tying for first (who was sitting at 33,300). 34 kills (21 with the wraith) and 1 death. It felt good, a very enjoyable match.

This spawn system is unbelievably stupid.

We're fighting Tankmaster Luk. Easy fight. I choose to spawn in a Scorpion, because hey, those are really powerful and help out a ton. The boss fight is happening just outside of Red Base on Apex 7.

The tank spawns in at Blue Base, half a kilometer away.

Let me pick my spawns.

Loomba

This spawn system is unbelievably stupid.

We're fighting Tankmaster Luk. Easy fight. I choose to spawn in a Scorpion, because hey, those are really powerful and help out a ton. The boss fight is happening just outside of Red Base on Apex 7.

The tank spawns in at Blue Base, half a kilometer away.

Let me pick my spawns.

I've spawned something and the match has finished before I could even fire a round just getting there

Unbelievably stupid imo

I'm actually very happy with the firefight difficulty, I'm yet to play all maps but I've cleared all but 1 so far... And I joined during the 5th round on that one.

I think you need a ghost in the mid rounds to splatter everything in sight, then change up to a tank or wraith and you will go close at least.

I out score the others in my team handily so I'm thinking a capable team working together should have a LOT of success.

And... We don't want it to be easy, the challenge makes it fun.

Grazzt

My ARC history is 0/10 :(
Fuck the third round

nillapuddin

Lol I was thinking the same thing.

It appears to me, that when matching with a full group, my friends and I are right on the super good try hard precipice, so any night that we start wining games, we start to get matched with intense try hard sweaty teams and get our butts beat.

Unless we have an open spot, we play very evenly matched games when we are a full team, but the matching system has a way of constantly challenging us, the games at the beginning of the night are usually easier, and really difficult by the end.

I don't feel like we are given the chance to play against players worse than us very often, but we do play against players better than us quite often, hence my interpretation of where we are on the overall skill curve.

Tl;dr we bump up against the skill gap and it humbles us, daily.

Speaking of bad spawns. I think it's wrong to get punished for spawning a vehicle inside a home base on the last round only to meet a large mob of soldiers waiting for you as soon as you pop out of the vehicle bay. It's not like I chosed to spawn there and I lost a heavy vehicle + have to wait an additional long spawn time yet again + losing out on points to kill any big bosses. They purposefully scripted those soldiers to be there at that final round to punish players. Gtfo with this design thinking devs.. That's not fun nor a bad call on my decision.

Welfare

Firefight needs to let you choose your spawn points. Wasting up to 20 seconds getting somewhere is a stupid design choice, as is having to wait 15 seconds for bosses to spawn.

Rounds that have wave spawning need to speed up and there should be a clear indicator on where they spawn.

I think if you survived a round, you should not get 5 seconds added to your respawn time. Give a bigger incentive for surviving.

singhr1

Firefight needs to let you choose your spawn points. Wasting up to 20 seconds getting somewhere is a stupid design choice, as is having to wait 15 seconds for bosses to spawn.

Rounds that have wave spawning need to speed up and there should be a clear indicator on where they spawn.

I think if you survived a round, you should not get 5 seconds added to your respawn time. Give a bigger incentive for surviving.

It should be:

1. Tell me what the next round is during the intermission so I can prepare in the next 10 seconds
2. If I died going into intermission, spawn me instantly
3. Not necessarily let me choose where to spawn, just tell me where im going to. Like you obviously shouldnt spawn inside the armory if there are elite bosses on the armory. Or use the buddy spawn from old firefight if possible. Spawn if safe, etc.
4. Maybe create difficulty settings for firefight. Normal and Legendary. Not everyone is that good or has that many REQs. Different RP output too
5. Prometheans need a better indicator of where they are spawning. Near instant spawn is bullshit compared to anticipating a covenant dropship.

So, general shooter question: how would you guys feel about a "tap-to-toggle" option? That is, a quick button tap will take you in or out of crouch, but if you hold it down for a certain amount of time, releasing the stick will uncrouch you as though toggle was disabled. I know prior to H5 the in-game scopes did something similar.

Finally won one ff.

Was on the new map. round 5 was defending 3 orbs.

Lol

Edit:

That new map is so good. You kill a phaeton that just moves around the map. That was a cool twist!

MAX PAYMENT

Wow. I haven't played halo 5 no since release. Has it always been this good? It feels so smooth and is insanely fun. I love big team battle and warzone.

Definitely feels like the best console mp shooter out there right now.

Wow. I haven't played halo 5 no since release. Has it always been this good? It feels so smooth and is insanely fun. I love big team battle and warzone.

Definitely feels like the best console mp shooter out there right now.
Yeah, I've been trying to convince my friends halo 5 is amazing but they don't believe me because they're bad lol

MAX PAYMENT

Yeah, I've been trying to convince my friends halo 5 is amazing but they don't believe me because they're bad lol

I grew up playing HALO 1 LAN parties and have been obsessed ever since. But for some reason I was just over it after 4.

I finally decided to give it a real shot with firefight releasing and I'm absolutely blown away. Best rendition of halo mp ever.

I'm also pretty sure on release there were hardly any playlists. It's got everything i want now.

Top Bottom