• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

RE: Enemy Design

The Jackal shields need to go back to being disabled more easily by gun fire and plasma weapons. A fully charged PP shot doesn't disable the shield as reliably as it used to, so it makes shooting those bastards more tedious.

I'd like to see Brutes and Flood return to add to the diversity of AI engagements. Flood being the swarm type you shoot limbs off as they relentlessly pursue you, with Brutes returning with jump packs and berserker mode.

Of course it is, the only other option of something with big battles is a playlist with NOT ONE 343 made map and thats filled with community forge maps. Im stunned that everyone went into WZ instead. Stunned.

WZ is a completely different experience from BTB though. There's no way to know that if BTB had dev maps, it would be as popular as WZ.

Maybe it's just that more players (especially casual) prefer WZ.

Not that I think there's much wrong with forge maps anyway. They play well (well most of them), and it's not like they'd look better if 343 made them.

If 343 made the BTB maps, we'd just get large boring UNSC industrial complexes like in Arena.

WZ is a completely different experience from BTB though. There's no way to know that if BTB had dev maps, it would be as popular as WZ.

Maybe it's just that more players (especially casual) prefer WZ.

Not that I think there's much wrong with forge maps anyway. They play well (well most of them), and it's not like they'd look better if 343 made them.

If 343 made the BTB maps, we'd just get large boring UNSC industrial complexes like in Arena.

Considering BTB has always been one of the most popular halo playlists (even in halo4) until this game in which, so ironically, is the first game that also doesn't have one actual 343 developed map is more than just a coincidence.

Trup1aya

Why to this day, they dont just put the WZ maps in BTB is beyond me. Oh no wait, it isnt beyond me: They wanna sell REQs so they put team "forge community" on the creation of BTB maps.

They believed so much in WZ that they purposely crippled BTB for it. Now thats belief. Its one reason i dont believe in these guys anymore. They dont seem to know at all what we want. Its the same story every game with them: First completely fuck it up, then realize that thats not what the community wanted and end up fixing it in the next game.

Same story every single time.

I don't think they crippled BTB FOR Warzone. I think they legitamate felt like Warzone would be an adequate replacement for BTB. An upgrade.

Big team battle was the most popular mode in H4 (probably because it was the only mode that made sense with their loadout nonsense). You don't just kick it to the curb unless you truly believe you have something better in its place. So I think they felt like Warzone was the bigger, badder, better evolution of BTB (and it would make $)

I think they again suffered from the same "design by the numbers" disease that brought us H4 as a follow up to Reach. In trying to expand on what they saw as the trend, they completely whiffed on what caused the trend to be trendy.

Luckily, Warzone is actually fun unlike Infinity MP. It's no BTB, But I'm glad it exists. But given how unfinished every aspect of this game was at launch, there's no way they could have given us a proper BTB, a good Arena and a good Warzone at launch.

Here's to hoping H6 does each mode Justice.

EYEL1NER

I am still upset that I dislike BTB so much since it has always been my favorite Halo gametype. I think more maps are needed, better looking 'professional' maps are needed rather than maps that have such an obvious Forged look, and I dislike Strongholds and CTF being so prevalent (I don't dislike the modes but I prefer more TDM with occasional objectives thrown in, rather than only objective-based matches).
But I do agree with your point above. 343 developed BTB maps would probably look like that. They showed off the new Arena map for the recent update a couple weeks ago and I said after looking at it "So it looks like at least three other maps, only now there is lava. Great."

Leyasu

Banned
Too many to quote. But I agree with Vincent, and can't help but feel that BTB was "overlooked" in favour of WZ. They could easily cut down some WZ maps for BTB but won't. The cynic in me can't help but think that they don't want to improve BTB, because they want you spending money on reqs for WZ.

I don't know what to say anymore about some of their decision making .

Considering BTB has always been one of the most popular halo playlists (even in halo4) until this game in which, so ironically, is the first game that also doesn't have one actual 343 developed map is more than just a coincidence.

I have no doubt that BTB would be more popular with dev maps, but I dont think it would be higher than WZ.

But even so, it's not like there's some population problem with BTB right now. I was playing it this morning and finding matches fast with different people.

If you have a problem with BTB maps being forge made, I get that. But I don't see a problem with them cause they play well. And I don't think the quality of BTB is lessoned with them. I think there's other issues about BTB (br starts, overpowered banshees, paper thin vehicles that aren't banshees, weapon placements), but it isn't the maps. Then again, I never cared for the graphics on maps, as long as there's variety.

I should also note that it's been months since the BTB maps were refreshed with new forge textures/pieces, so I think it would be cool to make them look better as forge gets better.

All I know is that moving forward, WZ has taken the role as the "chill halo with a group of friends" playlist that BTB used to fill (for myself and many others).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Pipap ain't shit, actually. Most people just play him wrong. You need to skip vehicles. Use plasma casters, railguns, rockets, whatev. I think even a whole team relentlessly using kinetic SMGs would take him down pretty quick.

Pipap ain't shit, actually. Most people just play him wrong. You need to skip vehicles. Use plasma casters, railguns, rockets, whatev. I think even a whole team relentlessly using kinetic SMGs would take him down pretty quick.

You think that, but on Rd 5 Apex, you'd be wrong. We had every single person shooting only him, and it still took almost 4 minutes.

Pipap really isn't that hard, just get two people in tanks to handle the Knights and everyone else fuck Pipap up on foot.

For the 30th time since the day FF came out, we're referring specifically to the encounter on Rd 5 Apex because it is so poorly done. Please explain how the tanks can handle the knights (which is only after they traverse the entire map to get there) when there's no cover and either one needler volley from Pipap or a couple IC shots from the knights destroy even the armored tanks. The tanks have to be fully exposed for the battle, as do the humans, and the 30s respawn, combined with Apex being huge and the spawn system being shit, means that one death, even early on, means you're out of the fight for most of the round.

The *only* strat our GAF party got to work was everyone having power weapons (and a couple tanks) shooting just him, and even then, we had less than a minute to kill the mythic hunters that spawn in the tunnel after that. He doesn't spawn until there's only like 4:30 left and fuck you if you just fought a boss on the other side of the map or didn't psychically call in the appropriate REQs since you aren't told what you're going to fight during intermission. We squeaked it by once, but it was stupidly close.

So many obvious design blunders from 343 that it makes you question their development abilities as a studio. Everything from grammatical errors to not informing the players of the upcoming round to putting Wardens in the back of a home base; it's mind-boggling at times lol.

It's always been this way, and while I don't think they're a b-tier studio, you can understand the perspectives of people who have been claiming that since 343 took over the Halo franchise. How do these things happen? How does TMCC get botched when the clear answer should have been to add each game separately to the package as time went on? Why was Halo 5's story so convoluted after the criticisms of Halo 4? Why do we have to suffer through poor playlist management when Stinkles said there are "hundreds of thousands of daily players?" Are they all sitting in Infection and SWAT? Why can't we get an Action Sack playlist or something that rotates in community-made maps/gametypes, perhaps a beta playlist many have suggested?

So many questionable decisions. Many felt this way with Bungie too, albeit in a different light since they created Halo, but they are certainly not clear from scrutiny either. LUV for 343, but goddamn lol.. Halo 6 has to be flawless and full of content at launch, much like Halo 5 had to be but wasn't. I'll remain optimistic, but the grizzled Halo fan in me will keep expectations in check.

I have no doubt that BTB would be more popular with dev maps, but I dont think it would be higher than WZ.

But even so, it's not like there's some population problem with BTB right now. I was playing it this morning and finding matches fast with different people.

If you have a problem with BTB maps being forge made, I get that. But I don't see a problem with them cause they play well. And I don't think the quality of BTB is lessoned with them. I think there's other issues about BTB (br starts, overpowered banshees, paper thin vehicles that aren't banshees, weapon placements), but it isn't the maps. Then again, I never cared for the graphics on maps, as long as there's variety.

I should also note that it's been months since the BTB maps were refreshed with new forge textures/pieces, so I think it would be cool to make them look better as forge gets better.

All I know is that moving forward, WZ has taken the role as the "chill halo with a group of friends" playlist that BTB used to fill (for myself and many others).

The quality is absolutely lessened by the fact that all the maps are forge only. If you were to take out all of the 343 maps in the arena or slayer and replace them with forge ones only, I guarantee you people would bitch about it to no end. Don't tell me that those maps don't change anything because they absolutely do. Forge should be a cherry on the top type of thing, not the whole cake. Breakout for example is a super fun game type and no one is playing it. Oh and by the way it's also all Forge.

The quality is absolutely lessened by the fact that all the maps are forge only. If you were to take out all of the 343 maps in the arena or slayer and replace them with forge ones only, I guarantee you people would bitch about it to no end. Don't tell me that those maps don't change anything because they absolutely do. Forge should be a cherry on the top type of thing, not the whole cake. Breakout for example is a super fun game type and no one is playing it. Oh and by the way it's also all Forge.

Yeah, that's breakout first problem.

I take it back. Pipap is a fuck.

Glad to see you've recognized the error of your ways.

That "invis" shit is because after a certain distance, enemy fire and enemies themselves just aren't visible in firefight. It's really noticeable if you spend any time in a Wasp.

Apex Pipap is a fuck. Even after killing him, you have two Hunters in the fucking tunnel system. And we had 1:35 left. Fuck Apex. Fuck it in the face.

Glad to see you've recognized the error of your ways.

That "invis" shit is because after a certain distance, enemy fire and enemies themselves just aren't visible in firefight. It's really noticeable if you spend any time in a Wasp.
Speaking of invis, it sucks that Camo is useless in Firefight. I tried using one to save the Garage, but nope lol.

All I wanna do is play firefight fam

Got Witcher 3 expansion to finish, got Bloodborne expansion to play, got Infamous: Second Son to start, and Hyper Light Drifter to get through, and all I want to do is slay.

Laws00

I was getting like 5 REQ packs for what seemed like 2 games even if I lost a match or warzone game

Now im not even getting anything (but a daily log in) lol

Fuchsdh

Speaking of invis, it sucks that Camo is useless in Firefight. I tried using one to save the Garage, but nope lol.

The fact that camo has been useless since CE in campaign has always bothered me. I never recall a situation where it actually worked in Reach and 4 at all.

I was getting like 5 REQ packs for what seemed like 2 games even if I lost a match or warzone game

Now im not even getting anything (but a daily log in) lol

I think I only have like 2 more gold packs left from doing commendations now, but I'm not complaining, one thing they did right with this is the fact I've gotten like 20 free gold packs just from playing.....

I'll write up my full thoughts on Firefight soon since it's almost been a week, when you get those highs in the mode it feels great, but I still find there to be too many lows. (Also this coming from someone who has saved/horded up a shit ton of REQs since launch and not someone who maybe hasn't played as much. I can imagine the mode being worse for them obviously)

Though I need to say this, the fact this is free is great no matter my issues currently. 343 has done some great post release work.

Apex Pipap is a fuck. Even after killing him, you have two Hunters in the fucking tunnel system. And we had 1:35 left. Fuck Apex. Fuck it in the face.

Beam Rifle staggers him and lets you puncture his shield if you hit him in the side and shoot through his arm. It's a bug, but all you need to do is stagger him with a shot and aim for where the pilot would be when he lifts his arm. Fire a shot, and the grunt inside dies.

It's not the best solution to bullshit, but if 343i is gonna play dirty, I don't see why we can't.

Laws00

I think I only have like 2 more gold packs left from doing commendations now, but I'm not complaining, one thing they did right with this is the fact I've gotten like 20 free gold packs just from playing.....

I'll write up my full thoughts on Firefight soon since it's almost been a week, when you get those highs in the mode it feels great, but I still find there to be too many lows. (Also this coming from someone who has saved/horded up a shit ton of REQs since launch and not someone who maybe hasn't played as much. I can imagine the mode being worse for them obviously)

Though I need to say this, the fact this is free is great no matter my issues currently. 343 has done some great post release work.

i dont know if it was because of the promotion that they had with Halo 5 being free but damn it was GREAT!

they certain have improved.

i just wish everything wasn't drip feed

I don't use it much. Never worked out for me. What's the best way to utilize it?

It has an aoe so i try to aim for a group or the heavy vehicle as small.units try to use it for cover. Itll just suck them in, dmg them and let you do whatever you want to them clegane style. :eek:

It would be too op in arena. That vortex lol

Edit: the white shielded grunts drop it i think during ff

Top Bottom