• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Akai__

Been getting back into Halo after stopping playing back in January.

Is it just me or is the sound in headphones off? I'm have the audio settings on headphones but I'm often having trouble figuring out where gun fire is coming from. I hear it, turn to where I assume it's coming from and it's no where near there?

Just me?

Rocking Astro A40's + MixAmp TR via Optical and 7.1 with no problems. Can pinpoint sounds pretty easily.

What's your setup? People often forget that you only get Stereo sound through the controller adapter and that you have to disable the game sound, if you are having a Headset via Optical plugged in. The Gamesound will be doubled otherwise.

Rocking Astro A40's + MixAmp TR via Optical and 7.1 with no problems. Can pinpoint sounds pretty easily.

What's your setup? People often forget that you only get Stereo sound through the controller adapter and that you have to disable the game sound, if you are having a Headset via Optical plugged in. The Gamesound will be doubled otherwise.
I'm using the Xbox stereo headset? With most games I can hear sound perfectly and recognise where it's coming from, just with Halo I'm having trouble.

I'm using the Xbox adaptor on the bottom if the controller If that's what you mean?

pieface

- BTB pistol starts
- Solo queue for Slayer

Game is perfect

Yup!

Maybe add a few real developer made BTB maps too.

I haven't been in this thread much lately, has there been any word on dev made BTB maps? They did promise them at launch, and it's been what.... 10months now?!

What happened to Zanzibar and Coagulation?

Why no "One bomb" games in BTB?

BTB is feeling the neglect. Warzone sucks and always will.

I get the impression that 343 really do not care for BTB. They probably look at their stats and see more people playing Warzone and think "that's where we should focus our attention on".... but maybe if they actually made BTB good more people would play it. BTB has always been a huge part of Halo and it's a shame the way it's being treated.

Akai__

I'm using the Xbox stereo headset? With most games I can hear sound perfectly and recognise where it's coming from, just with Halo I'm having trouble.

I'm using the Xbox adaptor on the bottom if the controller If that's what you mean?

That would be news to me, as Stereo Headsets will always give you Stereo sounds. All they can do is simualting directional sounds on the 2 channels those Stereo headsets have, so you could only hear left and/or right, but that's really not comparable with a Dolby Sorrounds Headset, where you can basically hear every direction.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

I haven't been in this thread much lately, has there been any word on dev made BTB maps? They did promise them at launch, and it's been what.... 10months now?!

They did? All I can remember is that they said BTB is comming, but they never confirmed on launch or dev made.

What happened to Zanzibar and Coagulation?

Zanzibar is the most overrated map in the history of BTB maps, imo. No thanks. Coagulation was also only remade like 30 times by now.

If they are going to add dev made BTB maps ( good luck) then we need new ones. I don't think we have ever had a Covenant styled BTB for example. Get creative and don't give us the same old and boring remakes.

Why no "One bomb" games in BTB?

Because 343i forgot to add one sided Objectives.

Answers in bold.

pieface

Coag rocks. I still have fond memories of playing it at LAN parties on Halo 1.

Coag was great for CTF
Zanzi was amazing for One bomb

The new BTB absolutely suck. The best ones are the Halo 2/3 remakes. The others blow.

To me it's like they've made a Halo game with the best gun mechanics ever. Yet have completely ballsed it up by the direction they decided to take Halo in terms of gamestyle direction. Lack of BTB, KOTH, Assault etc...

Yet include Infection ffs. 343 you lost me. All the things I used to love about Halo are seemingly gone. Which is why I guess I don't really play the game too much any more.

Sadface.

That would be news to me, as Stereo Headsets will always give you Stereo sounds. All they can do is simualting directional sounds on the 2 channels those Stereo headsets have, so you could only hear left and/or right, but that's really not comparable with a Dolby Sorrounds Headset, where you can basically hear every direction.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
Thanks man. Usually with the stereo headphones I can make out the direction pretty well in games like Gears, Battlefield and Titanfall. Just seems to be Halo I'm having trouble with. Couple of times I've been playing Firefight and running in the wrong direction thinking that's where the enemies are, only to have to turn around and run back.

I've been getting shot in the back with no audio que, just a visual que of red and slight rumbles in my controller.
A little weird sometimes, but whatever. I still ground pound for the revenge.

jg4xchamp

Started the campaign for the first time on legendary. Did they make the Knights more stupid? because it seems like you have to shoot them in the back after dropping their shields, in single player, while they have shotguns. What the fuck?

Started the campaign for the first time on legendary. Did they make the Knights more stupid? because it seems like you have to shoot them in the back after dropping their shields, in single player, while they have shotguns. What the fuck?

I dunno, but theyve never been particularly fun to fight. I honestly rather 343 do a "reboot" and bring the elites back as the main villains.

Only the first game of Firefight has music in the intro, every match after that during a session has no music during the fly in into cutscene.

JIRA bug 10567. Will not fix.

jem0208

The Knights are massively improved, IMO best designed enemies in the game.

Shoot the glowing orbs on either side of their body. When one of their wing things explodes you can get a one hit kill by shooting them in the head during the scream animation. Otherwise shoot off the other wing and get them in the back, or shoot their mask a few times to destroy that then you can get a one hit kill to the head.

jg4xchamp

Shoot the glowing orbs on either side of their body. When one of their wing things explodes you can get a one hit kill by shooting them in the head during the scream animation. Otherwise shoot off the other wing and get them in the back, or shoot their mask a few times to destroy that then you can get a one hit kill to the head.
Okay so you can definitely still get them in the mask and face?

Because trying to strafe to shoot them in the back didn't really work, unless they got occupied with my AI teammates, and you know, they aren't exactly reliable.

jem0208

Okay so you can definitely still get them in the mask and face?

Because trying to strafe to shoot them in the back didn't really work, unless they got occupied with my AI teammates, and you know, they aren't exactly reliable.

Yeah, I think it's only a 5 or 6 shot with the BR if you manage to hit them in the face during the scream animation.

If you can aim they're not bullet spongy at all anymore.

Nah jem, nah.

If you don't get them during the scream you have to get them in the back?

I'm just glad they have weak points a bit easy to hit now. Two on the side and once those two are gone, they usually open up their mouth time to time for you to take a shot at. but the campaign weapon availability is different than warzone, so i feel your pain.

JaggedSac

Closest game of FF I've ever played.

S9Xuu1F.gif

Hopped out of my Mantis to try and kill the Knight, couldn't believe I actually won us the game.

Wow, nice.

Trup1aya

Knight are massively improved, but still aren't as fun to fight as elites.

Why you take down a room of elites, you feel like you outsmarted a room full of enemies who were your physical equals.

When you take down a knight it just feels like you outlasted a bullet sponge aimbot (Halo 4), or you are decent with precision weapons (Halo 5). You never have to put your thinking cap on to fight these guys. They are robots, and the process of combating them is just as formulaic as you'd expect.

I hope Halo6 brings more fighting organic life forms... who appear to interested in self preservation and avoiding pain. It makes for much more engaging encounters.

I Really hate crawlers. They just crawl behind you and shove you a nice BOLT in the arse and then ... you die.

NacoLibreNotPleasedFace.jpg

edit:

They are not even FUN to shoot at.
Comparinson:

Grunts - Very fun to shoot at and always will be. "gruntpocolyse is real"
Jackals - Sheilds create a process to eliminate them, creating a challange with precision weapons.
Elites - The enemies who will throw a sticky, dodge roll and then smack you dead laughing. - Fun challenge
Hunters - mini-bosses that require you to get behind them for 'extra' damage. meh, was the funnest during CE

Crawlers - They run straight at you or flank you with boltshots that have homing bullets.... nothing fun
Soldiers - they teleport right to you or flank you with lightrights or supressors that have homing bullets ... nothing fun, more like a carnival game gone wrong
knights - Behemoths that will insta kill you if you mess up. they are challenging but a bit bullet spongy like Hunters post CE
flying thingies - no purpose in halo 5 what so ever anymore. In halo 4 they actually sheilded their allies and resurrected knights; A challenge added into the fray, but not anymore.

Trup1aya

I Really hate crawlers. They just crawl behind you and shove you a nice BOLT in the arse and then ... you die.

NacoLibreNotPleasedFace.jpg

edit:

They are not even FUN to shoot at.
Comparinson:

Grunts - Very fun to shoot at and always will be. "gruntpocolyse is real"
Jackals - Sheilds create a process to eliminate them, creating a challange with precision weapons.
Elites - The enemies who will throw a sticky, dodge roll and then smack you dead laughing. - Fun challenge
Hunters - mini-bosses that require you to get behind them for 'extra' damage. meh, was the funnest during CE

Crawlers - They run straight at you or flank you with boltshots that have homing bullets.... nothing fun
Soldiers - they teleport right to you or flank you with lightrights or supressors that have homing bullets ... nothing fun, more like a carnival game gone wrong
knights - Behemoths that will insta kill you if you mess up. they are challenging but a bit bullet spongy like Hunters post CE
flying thingies - no purpose in halo 5 what so ever anymore. In halo 4 they actually sheilded their allies and resurrected knights; A challenge added into the fray, but not anymore.

That's the thing, how do you design an interesting encounter, when the enemy is has no interest in preserving itself? They all are just heavily armored objects that test your twitch precision skills.

The closest analog in Halo is the flood, who were similarly bullish. But they were designed to encourage the use all of the weapon types. You constantly found yourself using the AR for crown control, targeting the bloated guys for makeshift explosions, shooting the arms off of enemies with ranged attacks, shot gunning when available and doing all sorts of platforming to stay alive. It was a glorious dance. THEN their were covenant enemies thrown in mid fight.

With Prometheans it's: find cover, precision shot until they are dead or they teleport to your flank, repeat. They just need to find away to make them feel more organic.

That's the thing, how do you design an interesting encounter, when the enemy is has no interest in preserving itself? They all are just heavily armored objects that test your twitch precision a skills.

The closest analog is the flood, who were similarly bullish. But they were designed to encourage the use all of the weapon types. You constantly found yourself using the AR for crown control, targeting the bloated guys for makeshift explosions, shooting the arms off of enemies with ranged attacks, shot gunning when available and doing all sorts of platforming to stay alive. It was a glorious dance. THEN their were covenant enemies thrown in mid fight.

With Prometheans it's: find cover, precision shot until they are dead or they teleport to your flank, repeat. They just need to find away to make them feel more organic.

So spot on. MMM.. that moment you find out about the flood and the lil poppers just came in flooding after you. nothing but your AR saving your life, with your back to the wall wondering what in the hell are these !!?!?!?

I think i screamed when i first played that level. haha. Then the library happened and i was using every weapon i could find. Shotgunning the dudes who jumped at you, ar bursts to kill the poppers, rockets to explode the big guy to make it an even bigger explosion around them... running for my life to the next checkpoint cause i was out of ammo. good times.

jem0208

If you don't get them during the scream you have to get them in the back?

No, destroy both wings then hit them a couple of times in the face and the mask will pop off allowing them to be destroyed in one shot to the face.

Pretty sure you can just pump lots of bullets into them and they'll eventually die as well.

Nah jem, nah.

Well pretty much every other basic enemy basically requires you to just shoot until the shield pops then get a headshot.

Knights reward being able to aim properly far more than any other enemies.

I don't really get why people dislike soldiers but love elites, mechanically they're extremely similar.

That wasn't my experience at all with H5. I don't think there was a single moment in the game when I just sat back and shot with precision weapons. The only time I ever took cover was to regenerate shields then I'd be back on the move.

No, destroy both wings then hit them a couple of times in the face and the mask will pop off allowing them to be destroyed in one shot to the face.

Pretty sure you can just pump lots of bullets into them and they'll eventually die as well.

Well pretty much every other basic enemy basically requires you to just shoot until the shield pops then get a headshot.

I don't really get why people dislike soldiers but love elites, mechanically they're extremely similar.

I agree with you. The difference is that they teleport, so they become fucking annoying

my year of XBL just ran out, so I'm reduced to scrounging around my game cases like a pleb for 2-day codes. Thankfully, Halo 5 came with a 14 day code I've never used.

Soldiers are worse than Elites because they've got less hit feedback and less interesting animations/visuals. They're also way more common, and can TELEPORT. Knights fill a good role as a Hunter-tier enemy, but Soldiers are way too numerous and quick to be Elites.

my year of XBL just ran out, so I'm reduced to scrounging around my game cases like a pleb for 2-day codes. Thankfully, Halo 5 came with a 14 day code I've never used.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that 14 day free trial is for member who never had gold before.

I only know this cause i tried to use it :(

(groupon usually has gold for $40)

Eh, the teleport is just a fancy dodge.

Doesn't bother me.

A Soldier can TELEPORT across buildings and onto Roofs. Have you not seen in WZFF 10 soldiers just TELEPORT to the rop of the standing structure next to an amory? (stormarch map)

Elites cannot. It is not a Fancy Dodge. It is not a fancy dodge.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that 14 day free trial is for member who never had gold before.

I only know this cause i tried to use it :(

(groupon usually has gold for $40)

A Soldier can TELEPORT across buildings and onto Roofs. Have you not seen in WZFF 10 soldiers just TELEPORT to the rop of the standing structure next to an amory? (stormarch map)

Elites cannot. It is not a Fancy Dodge. It is not a fancy dodge.

You can use trials if you had gold. Use them via xbox.com

Soldiers are worse than Elites because they've got less hit feedback and less interesting animations/visuals. They're also way more common, and can TELEPORT. Knights fill a good role as a Hunter-tier enemy, but Soldiers are way too numerous and quick to be Elites.

Hopefully there's some refinement in Halo 6.

I really wish they'd change their art style, but not much hope for that.

Ah, then there is my mistake. I used it on the xbox one itself and told me i wasnt allowed to use that trial and give it to a friend LOL....

T_T

Yeah, you can't use them via xbox one. But you can via xbox 360 ( I think). It's strange. That's why you should always use xbox.com for prepraid codes.

On the other hand I finished the Req Packs. It was a good ride :p
0$ spent

Trup1aya

No really, the Coventant enemies allow for more dynamic encounters. Sneak in close, assasinate 1 elite, and stick the other before he catches on, then Take out the remaining grunts with a nade.

Or should I pop the grunts first, reduce the risk of plasma Nades, then take the two elites head on with my boob combo. Etc etc

Whenever the prometheans are on screen, it's the Same song and dance. Widdle them down until their face is exposed, shoot them in the face.

That's all they reward. They aren't even fun to dodge. In previous games, when hunter's walked into the room. You were ready for a exciting fight. Not so with Knights

Not really. They are similar in size that's about it. The shield mechanic, the cloaks, the energy shield charge, the animations way they react to gunfire, the personality... Elite's are just way more engaging.

That wasn't my experience at all with H5. I don't think there was a single moment in the game when I just sat back and shot with precision weapons. The only time I ever took cover was to regenerate shields then I'd be back on the move.

I'm not suggesting you 'just sit in' cover (you have to move, because of the rediculous teleporting flanks, and the annoying crawlers with homing projectiles). But there is no reason to ever use any other part of the weapons sandbox when fighting Promethean enemies. It's LR/BR/mag or bust. Everything else is useless... Not to mention, prometheans also make the magnum unsatisfying to use thanks to the poor hit reactions, and the amount of damage they take.

Hopefully there's some refinement in Halo 6.

I really wish they'd change their art style, but not much hope for that.

I'm fine with their style, broadly speaking, but agreed on the refinement. The kind of improvement Knights got from 4 to 5 would work great. Incorporating the color variety we're starting to see in Warzone would go a ways as well. Big thing is still hit feedback, soldiers feel too resilient for how numerous and mobile they are. Part of that is because they actually ARE really tough, but a lot of it is how they just shrug off incoming fire until the armor pops.

Fundamentally, I think we're going to see some faction shuffling in 6 and onwards. It's going to be Created (so, Prometheans + Covenant w/ Cortana's toys), and Banished (Covenant with a Brute-y aesthetic).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Comes in on a ship and jumps in vs warps in sometimes right on you
Physically moves in on you vs teleportation (this is huge esp when guarding a building)
Physically reacting to your fire vs unflinching/teleportation
Plasma fire you can dodge vs lightbeam or homing fire
Grenades that void a space for 3 seconds vs 15 or whatever ridiculous amount of time it is
Break shields with one shot from one of the 100 plasma pistols around vs break shields with entire mag from one of the 100 suppressors laying around

If every elite had a carbine they would be closer to fighting soldiers, but still very different.

ryan299

Raid on Apex 7 in firefight is a mess. Yet to complete a game on there, they drop the most ridiculous things to do in round 2.

Also there's a bug that stops leveling from 2 to 3 for a full round, no matter how well you perform.

Really who the hell at 343 thinks having two Wardens at round 2 on Apex 7 is a good idea? It is basically "use your Wasps or die like a bitch lololol"

I play warzone wrong. I never use my reqs outside of vehicles. I either sell the chappy weapons or just leave the better ones to stockpile.

It was the same with Titanfalls burn cards.

All I use is Pistols then BRs like a scrub.

What's wrong with me

JaggedSac

Well the game mode was partially created to make you use your reqs. This is how the game makes money,

Well, the fact that REQs exist forces them to design encounters around them.

Either:

Enemies are at a difficulty where default loadouts can be used to defeat them on average with an average team. This results in REQs making the rounds much easier.

Or:

Enemies are at a difficulty where REQs can be used to defeat them on average with an average team. This results in default loadouts being insufficient.

Trup1aya

I play warzone wrong. I never use my reqs outside of vehicles. I either sell the chappy weapons or just leave the better ones to stockpile.

It was the same with Titanfalls burn cards.

All I use is Pistols then BRs like a scrub.

What's wrong with me

Generally do the same. And it's just the 1 man vehicles I use.

FF did bring the Reqs out of me. And I have a hell of a stockpile.

Comes in on a ship and jumps in vs warps in sometimes right on you
Physically moves in on you vs teleportation (this is huge esp when guarding a building)
Physically reacting to your fire vs unflinching/teleportation
Plasma fire you can dodge vs lightbeam or homing fire
Grenades that void a space for 3 seconds vs 15 or whatever ridiculous amount of time it is
Break shields with one shot from one of the 100 plasma pistols around vs break shields with entire mag from one of the 100 suppressors laying around

If every elite had a carbine they would be closer to fighting soldiers, but still very different.

Wellthereitis.gif

Well, the fact that REQs exist forces them to design encounters around them.

Either:

Enemies are at a difficulty where default loadouts can be used to defeat them on average with an average team. This results in REQs making the rounds much easier.

Or:

Enemies are at a difficulty where REQs can be used to defeat them on average with an average team. This results in default loadouts being insufficient.

Right now, default is practically useless other than with round 1-2. After that, its absolutely pointless to keep the default. Its pretty much required that you use your cards or you will not win.

Top Bottom