• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yo I just had a round on ARC that was protect the forerunner cores from covenant. I died and while I was on the countdown timer I watched the covenant ships shoot the cores the entire time as they were dropping off units. That is cheap as fuck!

Trup1aya

I like that the soldiers exist as sort of an analog to the covenant elites/brutes, since the Knights really failed at that in H4. But they just need to make their behavior more interesting.

Decent Hit response would go a long way. Maybe you could force them to change their tactics by shooting off their limbs. Maybe crawlers would try to drag damaged soldiers away to repair them or disassemble themselves to fix wounded soldiers. Maybe plasma fire should disable their teleportation ability. Maybe certain weapons have a knock back effect on them. I dunno, maybe all that is stupid, but they need to do somethings that allow for a visual indication that your actions are causing a measured reaction and to make the selfless robot angle much more interesting... Like the flood angle was.

Well the game mode was partially created to make you use your reqs. This is how the game makes money,

The problem is not having to use reqs, but the lack of options in these extremely difficult early rounds, plus the low ammo count on power weapons compared to the massive number of enemies.

Dice

I like that the soldiers exist as sort of an analog to the covenant elites/brutes, since the Knights really failed at that in H4. But they just need to make their behavior more interesting.

Decent Hit response would go a long way. Maybe you could force them to change their tactics by shooting off their limbs. Maybe crawlers would try to drag damaged soldiers away to repair them or disassemble themselves to fix wounded soldiers. Maybe plasma fire should disable their teleportation ability. Maybe certain weapons have a knock back effect on them. I dunno, maybe all that is stupid, but they need to do somethings that allow for a visual indication that your actions are causing a measured reaction and to make the selfless robot angle much more interesting... Like the flood angle was.
It would be nice if being shot made them glow to indicate that their teleportation was temporarily disabled. Two improvements in one.

Trup1aya

The problem is not having to use reqs, but the lack of options in these extremely difficult early rounds, plus the low ammo count on power weapons compared to the massive number of enemies.

The best thing to do in the early rounds is, wait to complete the objective. Kill the supporting cast for as long as you can to get your req level up.

The low ammo on power weapons is dumb though. At least in FF you should spawn with full ammo.

The best thing to do in the early rounds is, wait to complete the objective. Kill the supporting cast for as long as you can to get your req level up.

The low ammo on power weapons is dumb though. At least in FF you should spam with full ammo.

You can't control how randoms do in... randoms. 9 out of 10 you'll be fighting twin Wardens with BRs. Hell even in the campaign they give you The Answer and Arclight for that encounter, you can even bring a tank.

Trup1aya

You can't control how randoms do in... randoms. 9 out of 10 you'll be fighting twin Wardens with BRs. Hell even in the campaign they give you The Answer and Arclight for that encounter, you can even bring a tank.

No doubt. But doing so yourself, and trying to explain to others give you your best shot. I bet after a few weeks most randoms will have picked up on this behavior.

JaggedSac

Right now, default is practically useless other than with round 1-2. After that, its absolutely pointless to keep the default. Its pretty much required that you use your cards or you will not win.

That is my point. Only way to solve it, is to make it not be a part of Warzone and not have the use of REQs.

EYEL1NER

I managed to check my stats last night and it looks like my Firefight stats (not by map but overall) are 6 wins out of 31 matches. So a ~20% win ratio, I guess.

I didn't intend to be too whiny about Firefight over the weekend though. I saw more than a couple people ITT that are good at the game voicing concerns and opinions on it and decided to jump in. I'm going to walk some of my complaints back a bit until the Free Play is over tomorrow though. I have some things that I said I don't like that affect the difficulty but I guess I realized earlier that it is possible that I have been getting matched with some people who are REQ-less and new to the game. I'll give it a couple more days and then see how things are going then.

wwm0nkey

So I can't imagine the overall win rate in WZFF is high at all, so I really hope 343 fixes the final round soon.

I would have won sooo many more if the wardens didn't spawn in the back of the base where no one could get

Dice

So I can't imagine the overall win rate in WZFF is high at all, so I really hope 343 fixes the final round soon.

I would have won sooo many more if the wardens didn't spawn in the back of the base where no one could get
Eh, I think they just need to add an extra minute on that. If people stick to vehicles that's their own dumb fault, but even if you only use your vehicles to clear the enemies to get access to the Wardens on foot, you usually lose after killing the first two Wardens (or close to) and the Mythic at full health. It just needs more time put on it. A lot of the worst offenders are Round 3s, such as defend the garage, which I do not believe they toned down at all (and I played the beta over 150 times) and they really seriously need to do.

It also might help when free days are over so we aren't Scrubs R Us.

Akai__

Playing against people from Colombia (while I'm in Europe) results in a match where people teleport all over the place. Asked the guy about his experience and he says he has to play like that all the time. I feel with him...

Halo 6 should have data center selection and servers with higher tickrates.

Trup1aya

Eh, I think they just need to add an extra minute on that. If people stick to vehicles that's their own dumb fault, but even if you only use your vehicles to clear the enemies to get access to the Wardens on foot, you usually lose after killing the first two Wardens (or close to) and the Mythic at full health. It just needs more time put on it. A lot of the worst offenders are Round 3s, such as defend the garage, which I do not believe they toned down at all (and I played the beta over 150 times) and they really seriously need to do.

It also might help when free days are over so we aren't Scrubs R Us.

I don't think they toned down garage, but the better communicated the objective.

I JUST had that round 3 with a bunch of randoms a few minutes ago, and we absolutely wrecked it. Just brought a couple of ghosts inside, and send some folks up to the roof with PPs for the phaetons. The req-less got the incinerator cannons dropped by the Knights. It was tough, but fun. I wish the rest of rounds 3-5 were like this (but with coveys instead of robots).

Was on Sanctum and had my first ground pound double kill. Wasn't terribly impressive but this bk has gotta take what he can get.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/XxDeputyMoonman/video/19284671

Eh, I dunno. I thought it was notbad.gif

Oddly enough, that's one of my favorite BTB maps. I just wish there was a good way to have the vehicle circuit include the top level.

Agreed. Eagle Square is great in BTB. Only complaints I've heard is that it's easy for the better team to get a good setup. I kind of like the separate vehicle/on-foot paths for the most part. Two different parts of the map that can be controlled in two different ways and all that.

Power weapons are crucial on that map but more importantly, so is *leaving the damn base*. Looking at you GAF lobbies :|

Dice

Well then the commendations would need to be altered to where they are only awarded at certain difficulty levels. Otherwise everyone cheeses easy difficulties for gold packs.
What's the problem if they do?

Goblin Jockeys

untitled-1q4uok.gif

EYEL1NER

Was on Sanctum and had my first ground pound double kill. Wasn't terribly impressive but this bk has gotta take what he can get.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/XxDeputyMoonman/video/19284671
Hell, I can barely ever get one ground pound kill. That was excellent timing on your part. I also learned that you can hop up on that piece of building to get to the roof from your video, so thanks for that. I can't wait to play Sanctum in regular Warzone, but I've only been playing WZFF (with the exception of a couple Arena matches for dailies).
1250/1250! Finally!
Now SR 152 #Kappa
Congrats! I'm a couple matches away from hitting SR70. I've still got quite a while to go.

TCKaos

Agreed. Eagle Square is great in BTB. Only complaints I've heard is that it's easy for the better team to get a good setup. I kind of like the separate vehicle/on-foot paths for the most part. Two different parts of the map that can be controlled in two different ways and all that.

Power weapons are crucial on that map but more importantly, so is *leaving the damn base*. Looking at you GAF lobbies :|

Yeah but sometimes you gotta scratch that itch to run the successfully captured flag back to the enemy base so they can return it.

Yeah but sometimes you gotta scratch that itch to run the successfully captured flag back to the enemy base so they can return it.

Hey! I captured that exact moment of that exact game! Other than my flagsassination, notice the enemy flag returns to the front of their lift, random is killed, and they return. THANKS RANDIE!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/18954897

We ended up winning that somehow, right? We capped the one I pulled in the clip IIRC.

TCKaos

Hey! I captured that exact moment of that exact game! Other than my flagsassination, notice the enemy flag returns to the front of their lift, random is killed, and they return. THANKS RANDIE!

We ended up winning that somehow, right? We capped the one I pulled in the clip IIRC.

I think we got an eleventh hour win in there during sudden death, right? It was close.

Also, ~FOCUSED MATCHMAKING~

Karl2177

I don't want to say I see players running the flag in the wrong direction more in Halo 5 compared to previous games, because I certainly saw a lot of it back then. I think I just get more frustrated now because the UI literally says Capture right where you're supposed to take it. And yet somehow people still go the wrong way.

As for eagle square, I see what you mean about having separate control areas, and it's a good point. I'd like to see how it would play out if vehicles could go by the sniper spawn easily, but couldn't progress towards the center of the map because of the rocks.

Hell, I can barely ever get one ground pound kill. That was excellent timing on your part. I also learned that you can hop up on that piece of building to get to the roof from your video, so thanks for that. I can't wait to play Sanctum in regular Warzone, but I've only been playing WZFF (with the exception of a couple Arena matches for dailies).

Congrats! I'm a couple matches away from hitting SR70. I've still got quite a while to go.

I'm only at 120 too. It's way to hard to hit 152

I don't want to say I see players running the flag in the wrong direction more in Halo 5 compared to previous games, because I certainly saw a lot of it back then. I think I just get more frustrated now because the UI literally says Capture right where you're supposed to take it. And yet somehow people still go the wrong way.

As for eagle square, I see what you mean about having separate control areas, and it's a good point. I'd like to see how it would play out if vehicles could go by the sniper spawn easily, but couldn't progress towards the center of the map because of the rocks.

THIS! I've been baffled since H4 that this is somehow still an issue for people. It was more a funny moment in previous games (like a brain fart in the midst of the action), but now it's just frustrating because it implies illiteracy.

Thanks. I think ground pounds come down to lucky timing mostly. I needed a break from wz ff, so I played regular warzone all night and now I think I need a break from halo lol. There is no one more inept at using power weapons than myself. I somehow manage to either blow myself up or immediately lose the req I just spawned only to have it used against me later.

No way. H5 BTB could have been the goat BTB. Instead they shunned it like it was a smelly weird cousin. I'm still bitter.

Hopefully Halo 6
tf
will bring it back.

Why to this day, they dont just put the WZ maps in BTB is beyond me. Oh no wait, it isnt beyond me: They wanna sell REQs so they put team "forge community" on the creation of BTB maps.

They believed so much in WZ that they purposely crippled BTB for it. Now thats belief. Its one reason i dont believe in these guys anymore. They dont seem to know at all what we want. Its the same story every game with them: First completely fuck it up, then realize that thats not what the community wanted and end up fixing it in the next game.

Same story every single time.

How long do the paddles on an Elite controller take to get used to?

Mine is coming in today and I'm planning on putting jump on one paddle, and crouch on another (because I play on the superior fish dicks)

Why to this day, they dont just put the WZ maps in BTB is beyond me. Oh no wait, it isnt beyond me: They wanna sell REQs so they put team "forge community" on the creation of BTB maps.

They believed so much in WZ that they purposely crippled BTB for it. Now thats belief. Its one reason i dont believe in these guys anymore. They dont seem to know at all what we want. its the same story every game with them: First completely fuck it up, then realize that thats not what the community wanted and end up fixing it in the next game.

Same story every single time.

Except they made the right bet...seeing as Warzone is the most populated playlist (at least it was months ago as stated in a community blog)

Thanks. I think ground pounds come down to lucky timing mostly. I needed a break from wz ff, so I played regular warzone all night and now I think I need a break from halo lol. There is no one more inept at using power weapons than myself. I somehow manage to either blow myself up or immediately lose the req I just spawned only to have it used against me later.

You're not bad. Dontcha know by now? It has to be the game's fault.

As to EYELINER's point, there are actually a couple windows in the garages that you can use jumps to reach the roof fairly easily.

How long do three paddles on an Elite controller take to get used to?

Mine is coming in today and I'm planning on putting jump on one paddle, and crouch on another (because I play on the superior fish dicks)

I use two paddles. Took me maybe a week or two to get used to 'em. It's not too bad because if you do your normal button, it still works too so you aren't penalized other than mentally for forgetting to use the paddle.

Except they made the right bet...seeing as Warzone is the most populated playlist (at least it was months ago as stated in a community blog)

Of course it is, the only other option of something with big battles is a playlist with NOT ONE 343 made map and thats filled with community forge maps. Im stunned that everyone went into WZ instead. Stunned.

Top Bottom