• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Tawpgun

Halo 4 was truly legendary levels of bad.

Like I remember being on here when the MP details were leaking, and we ALL called them bullshit/fake because customized loadouts, random weapon spawns and calling in your own weapons was the dumbest thing ever and there was no way 343 would do something like that.

AND THEN THEY DID.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah vehicles having infinite ammo makes them sooooo much better. And the armor makes it so you'll much more likely actually get something done with them. Can't say how many times I lost a REQ before even firing because a soldier teleported in on me, a sneaky IC knight that apparently spawned away from the group stepped around a corner, 5 soldiers that were ignoring me all decide to shoot at me in the same split second, etc.

I also agree about enemies teleporting into armories. I've lost many REQs because I went to get one and then enemies spawned in there either as I was still in the menu or just as I finsihed. There is a difference between an interesting challenge and a dick move in your design. Here is an example.

An entire base spawned on me start of round while I was still in menus. I respawned in the middle of nowhere the whole level filled normal enemies, snipers, rockets, vehicles, and my team was really far away so I just escaped in any direction I could. I made it back to this place which already had enemies in it. I grabbed some ammo and as I did this guy with a splinter turret appears, so I kill him and 3 guys with splinter turrets appear. And while I am here dealing with/recovering from spawning into solo hell a mile from nowhere, the time for the match objective whittles away and if I died it'd be 30 seconds of no playing at all.

If the point is to get you to use REQs so you want to buy them, I have to ask: Why would I ever spend money on REQs if I think there is a good chance a lot of them will get wasted due to the design?

jem0208

I can't find a game of slayer at the moment. Tried quitting the build a couple of times, found a Firefight match. Can't find a slayer game though, no way the pop is so low that I can't find one, that would be ridiculous.

Found an Team Arena game in seconds though. Anyone else having issues with the Slayer playlist?

Nah I'm not. It's been very frustrating but I decided to reinstall it and start the process of installing it again now. 5% done, its gonna after like an hour and a half but if this fixes the issue, I'll do anything.

I would have done a complete restore on the xbox if you were gonna reinstall it anyway. Just to be safe. Too late now.

Hope it works.

TCKaos

So this entire time did no one realize that the Wrath skin/variant that's used as a background for the Firefight playlist is a new one? It's got flame decals on it.

So, um, future content confirmed?

So this entire time did no one realize that the Wrath skin/variant that's used as a background for the Firefight playlist is a new one? It's got flame decals on it.

So, um, future content confirmed?
I think we can safely assume new reqs and forge items will still be coming. I don't think we'll see new dev maps though.

Fuchsdh

The Talon version. Not sure which warden level though. And i believe it was tashi?

Talons are good against any vehicle and heavy armored enemies. You'll need a couple people to call them in if you want to take a boss down, though, as their damage is tempered pretty heavily by their shallow ammo pool. You'll be out in no time.

Zereta

Why do ppl bother playing FF if you aren't willing to spend the REQs just to make it to the next round? What a waste of time.

When targets are bullet sponges in overwhelming numbers that kill in literally 2-4 shots, I can understand why someone might be a bit reluctant to use a REQ only to lose it because they engaged an enemy and oh no Prometheans spawned directly behind me and I'm dead.

Or oh hey Phantom oh oh god oh let me get out of here *dead*

When targets are bullet sponges in overwhelming numbers that kill in literally 2-4 shots, I can understand why someone might be a bit reluctant to use a REQ only to lose it because they engaged an enemy and oh no Prometheans spawned directly behind me and I'm dead.

Or oh hey Phantom oh oh god oh let me get out of here *dead*

You take a banchee and theyre all shooting at you, literally never missing a shot. I died under 30 seconds. Why the hell would i use my good reqs.

This is why i hate 343s AI compared to bungie. I feel like im playing COD on veteran all over again.

Fuchsdh

You take a banchee and theyre all shooting at you, literally never missing a shot. I died under 30 seconds. Why the hell would i use my good reqs.

This is why i hate 343s AI compared to bungie. I feel like im playing COD on veteran all over again.

Not saying 343 might not have amped the difficulty or "cheapness" of the AI, but Bungie is the proud bringer of such bullshit as "Fuel Rod Turrets that can home on you" and "unavoidable insta-kill Elite kicks" so they can't be held up as some sterling standard.

Not saying 343 might not have amped the difficulty or "cheapness" of the AI, but Bungie is the proud bringer of such bullshit as "Fuel Rod Turrets that can home on you" and "unavoidable insta-kill Elite kicks" so they can't be held up as some sterling standard.

I disagree, i still find Destiny's AI much more halo like and fun to fight then what 343 do now. This feels like everything i hated about COD at the hard difficulties. Feels super cheap.

B3N1

Whose idea was this?

l2iX8jV.jpg

Throughout the weekend we've spent like 10 minutes loading previous Score Attack missions, because whenever I opened up Campaign Screen, my first thing was to select a map. Oh but the selector is now a continue button too. Well fuck.

Once I did this 3 times in a row...

jem0208

Whose idea was this?

Throughout the weekend we've spent like 10 minutes loading previous Score Attack missions, because whenever I opened up Campaign Screen, my first thing was to select a map. Oh but the selector is now a continue button too. Well fuck.

What's wrong with it?

Whose idea was this?

It's not? You have a continue option and a select option. The design could be better, that's absolutely true

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Warzone Firefight has a quitting problem and apparently when the right person quits, it boots the ENTIRE team out of the game? Multiple times today, someone leaves and I just get booted back to the mode select screen. Multiple times today it has happened in round 5.

I mean people are quitting because Firefight is ridiculously unbalanced but man,getting punished for it is a god damn bummer.

That's wasted reqs, wasted time and after 15 minutes of wasting everything, I've got nothing to show for it.

/rant

Edit: Just happened in Warzone. I assume its something to do with the way the server handles match hosting or something. I don't know, haven't play the game since launch but if an entire game can end because one person quits, that seems like a huge fucking glaring problem. Not to mention the game kinda stays frozen and none of the buttons work except in the start menu, meaning I have to quit the game entirely and reboot it.

Again, time wasted, REQs wasted, just such a waste.

Halo 5's gameplay is solid, its so good. The post-launch support has been great. Kudos. But stuff like this is a problem.

An hour ago, I had 7205 req points. I have attempted to play 4 other games in that hour. I have been booted out of the game 4 times, as a result the game has frozen on me 4 times, I've had to reboot the game 4 times. I'm still at 7205 req points.

/rant 2

I think you're seeing either a total connection failure (everyone dropping) or you're the one dropping, but it's expressing at your end as if someone else has. PM me your GT and a couple of session links.

B3N1

What's wrong with it?

My first glance is at the Mission name in the corner, which meant that it opens up a select menu. Up until now, when it starts a score attack on said mission.

It's not? You have a continue option and a select option. The design could be better, that's absolutely true

Exactly. It's the same selector kind of button for two different interactions.

If I'd read through all the options everytime, It'd be clear, but I don't usually do that in menus. As soon as I see what I need, I click it. I'm looking for mission select type button from the top, BAM, it's Score Attack, fuck. It's just me then I guess.

My luck in firefight has been horrible,

lost in round 1 once, round 2 three times, round 3 twice, final round once.
have yet to win...

but its a lot more fun than i thought it would be. better than the beta. getting silver packs is a bonus too

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Worse than any design element of the game:
-Randoms who fucking stand in front of you with a goddamn pistol in motherfucking round 4.
-Awareness-challenged morons who bodyblock your exit and thus make you both dead.
-Cowboy fucktards who run you over as they rush in to get blown up seconds later.

Whose idea was this?

3 times. :D Muhaha. :D

3 times. :D Muhaha. :D
Yep, I've had that happen multiple times this week, also. What's worse is that it loads the level for like 20 seconds and then does "Deploying...3...2...1" during which time there is no option to cancel. But yeah, it's just bad UI. The resume option, which immediately loads the level, is not differentiable from the level select list option.

B3N1

Jump into the daily Firefight match, we won the 5 rounds, 11 REQs waiting (5 gold)! <3!

Nice, I lost 4 rounds, but at least managed to record this.

I just love when teammates wake up when 2 minutes are left on the clock and start calling in Warthogs. Then we lose the round with one enemy left at 50% health.

TIL Blood of Susan works really well against Hunters.

Fixed.

Also, everyone here should know that RAZORS EDGE is the GOAT weapon for bosses.

Benefits:
- has a ton of ammo
- has crazy damage output because it supercombines every couple of seconds
- locks onto weak points
- only req level 4
- is a pretty weapon
- you'll get my approval by using it

EYEL1NER

Fixed.

Also, everyone here should know that RAZORS EDGE is the GOAT weapon for bosses.

Benefits:
- has a ton of ammo
- has crazy damage output because it supercombines every couple of seconds
- locks onto weak points
- only req level 4
- is a pretty weapon
- you'll get my approval by using it
Hmmm, I'll have to try out the Blood of Suban a lot more then. I have limited experience with it. By the time I hit REQ Lvl 4, I am swapping my AR to an SMG and upgrading my Lvl 3 BR to something good against vehicles or silenced or something, and thinking about if I am going to use a Wraith Req when I hit Lvl 5.

Hmmm, I'll have to try out the Blood of Suban a lot more then. I have limited experience with it. By the time I hit REQ Lvl 4, I am swapping my AR to an SMG and upgrading my Lvl 3 BR to something good against vehicles or silenced or something, and thinking about if I am going to use a Wraith Req when I hit Lvl 5.
I was talking about RAZORS EDGE, silly poopkins

Fuchsdh

Really the point is that Lvl 4 REQ tier has a lot of weapons that in combination waste bosses, so you're better off using them and saving REQ energy for blowing on the final round :)

EYEL1NER

I was talking about RAZORS EDGE, silly poopkins
I did read that correctly the first time but when I was replying, I glanced up at the post you were 'fixing' and mixed up the guns. I've been wrapped up in Mirrors's Edge Catalyst over the last two nights but I need to play some more Halo tonight, so I'll give the Razor's Edge a chance. I have used it but not on bosses. Gotta go play some X-Wing miniatures games in a bit but I'll be on later and will see who else is showing online at the time. I really want to try the "voice chat through Kinect" function out after breaking my Kinect out recently.

I guess for anyone that has tried it: How has the Kinect worked for voice chat? I calibrated it with decent volume and don't turn my TV up to a rediculous level since I play when my wife and kid are asleep, but I am still worried that it will pick up the TV.

Fuchsdh

I did read that correctly the first time but when I was replying, I glanced up at the post you were 'fixing' and mixed up the guns. I've been wrapped up in Mirrors's Edge Catalyst over the last two nights but I need to play some more Halo tonight, so I'll give the Razor's Edge a chance. I have used it but not on bosses. Gotta go play some X-Wing miniatures games in a bit but I'll be on later and will see who else is showing online at the time. I really want to try the "voice chat through Kinect" function out after breaking my Kinect out recently.

I guess for anyone that has tried it: How has the Kinect worked for voice chat? I calibrated it with decent volume and don't turn my TV up to a rediculous level since I play when my wife and kid are asleep, but I am still worried that it will pick up the TV.

Never had issues with Kinect voice chat. You can get some warble in the backchannel but it's never been annoying to my ears when using or hearing people use it. Bummed that it sounds like the Anniversary update with Cortana is gonna' change my commands around, though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I seriously have to spend money on a Gold Pack right now? Are you serious, Microsoft?

I thought the microtransactions were optional or obtainable through gameplay time in Slayer.

I almost bought a Gold Pack right now. I go to use my 12,000 hard earned Req points I got through Slayer and the shit almost charged me.

Top Bottom