• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Guess I'll write up my full thoughts on Firefight now,

Overall yes it's a fun mode, but it still has a lot of stuff that should be changed or fine tuned. One, re spawning needs a rework. It isn't exactly fun to have to wait upwards of 30 seconds only to be spawned on the other side of the map and not even be able to make it back to help in time. We should probably have some control over our spawn point like we do in Warzone, especially if they don't want to lower the re spawn time itself.

Another Small issue that really shouldn't be hard to change is how the next round/next enemy wave is conveyed and spawned. It's just a tad bit annoying we find out what the next round is and then have to wait for such enemies to spawn in the round itself, which can take up precious time that could be needed. Just have that UI pop up in the last 15 secs of downtime, and have the AI spawn at :00 (Could this somehow just be a AI limitation though? idk maybe they need more time to get the area ready somehow).

Some objectives still don't feel thought through either, having to defend the forerunner core or whatever on Urban is usually a shit show. Especially since people are never near the area it spawns and by the time people get there the enemies have already damaged it 25% or more. The final wave objective of defending three cores on Sanctum is significantly better and a good example of a change (Why isn't it three cores on Urban anyway?) Plus, some goals such as those that pop up at round 2 like Multiple Upgraded Knights or Vehicles can be a shit show. No one is really going to be at more than REQ level 3 (I'm 2 half the time anyway) and if you don't have that many REQs overall anyway, you can't help that much.

This brings me to my BIGGEST issues with the mode ultimately being my dislike of the Promethean enemy class and that the mode is dependent upon REQs. I severely hate fighting Prometheans in Firefight, aside from crawlers a little bit, they feel like bullet sponges. Pumping half a BR clip into a Solider, seeing no change in his model or reactions and then having him teleport all over the place and lock on aim me to death is never fun. I miss the Knights having shields like they did in 4, it at least conveyed the information of damage done. Even enemies like the Jackals and Grunts at least flinch decently more when being shot. Knights do have those two pulses on their sides now, but that's because they got "upgraded" from 4 and just have more health overall now. I wouldn't mind if they died by you just blowing those two points up, not both points and then doing more to them.

With the Prometheans not only being bullet sponges but having basically nothing but weapons that lock on to you, 75% of the time I feel like I can't actually fight them and move around like I can other enemies, cause my movements don't mean shit when they just gang up and all lock on aim me. Too many insta death moments in the mode overall, which gets worse with the long re spawn time.

And lastly, REQs favor those who have actually put a lot of time into the game or purchase the micro transactions. If I was new to Halo 5 and played Firefight, I wouldn't be having a good time at all. I understand why the mode is based around REQs though ($$$). It's a double edged sword , they help the game make money which helps the series, but ultimately to me, brings the quality of the Warzone modes down overall to me.

Now lets talk about some of the good stuff. Firstly, 343 your post launch support being free completely is great. The series needs to continue this method. When you get the rounds that aren't bullshit, and the people in your match aren't "Insane" the mode is some of the best fun you can have in Halo 5. Raining fire down on a Phantom with a banshee while your teammates are also fighting below feels great. Working together to take down a boss with some on power weapons, some on Vehicles and others protecting you from normal enemies is awesome. I just wish those moments happened more in the mode, though some of those issues obviously can't be fixed right now (Obviously gonna have to wait till 6 to see what changes they could make to Prometheans) and Others are too dependent on changing the REQ model or putting more stuff to find on the maps themselves. But there is a lot of little stuff and quality of life changes that could make the mode more enjoyable that shouldn't take too much to fix.

Also thank you for the 20 gold packs 343 just for playing, that was great and gave the idea of working towards something overall in matches. Halo 6 should incorporate stuff like this overall with bringing back Daily and Weekly challenges.

TCKaos

Crossposting from the Forge thread...

phew long day

geo-complete, hype

ZA06xmX.gif

Now I have to place all the mechanicals ofcourse, aswell as finalizing the skybox and colors

its really freaking annoying that it takes 6 minutes everytime I generate lighting...

FyreWulff

Not Wraith, Wrath. The Emile armor variant.

Though that would have been a cool nod. #FlameDecalHog2016

aw

also i always thought it could have been nice if each halo game progressively acknowledged LE owners as they went. Reach got the closest with the previous game nameplates.

jfoul

Yay, Lone Wolfed my way to Diamond 1 in Team Arena.

Ranking up reminds me of gambling. I need to jump into a different playlist if I'm having a bad day, or just call it quits for the day.

TCKaos

The fun part about that is modders actually found the Reach LE stuff still in Halo 4's data. So if you mod 4 you can turn on the Legendary and Blue flames for spartans.

How hard do you think it'd be to crossreference unlocks and cheevos and such to unlock stuff in later games? With how much most of the Halo games still cost on the Live marketplace you'd think they would have been pushing for that. Unlocking Recon in Reach and 4 through the Vidmasters would have been awesome.

FyreWulff

How hard do you think it'd be to crossreference unlocks and cheevos and such to unlock stuff in later games? With how much most of the Halo games still cost on the Live marketplace you'd think they would have been pushing for that. Unlocking Recon in Reach and 4 through the Vidmasters would have been awesome.

The LE stuff can be tracked through purchase history - Rock Band 4 used it to give everyone their existing RB1/2/3 DLC on the One for free. They can check achievements too.

343 unlocked Recon for everyone in 3 on the 360 because it was hooked into Bungie.net stats feed (because Bungie didn't want people just modding the achievements and getting Recon for 'free') and Halo 3 is no longer hooked into that.

Although personally I'm sort of the opinion that they really should just open up all the retailer/LE exclusive stuff on the 360 side of things, Especially Sgt Johnson for ODST. I may be a rare case with the Legendary flames stuff, but at minimum the retailer/preorder exclusives should all be opened up. And those don't require patches, all they have to do is mark those offers as 1) public and 2) free and just let people download the unlock keys.

#HireUnfriendlyTimeTraveler since as my name says I know what will work and won't before it even happens.
btb pistol starts fail and riots consume the earth from the 1 million people that play halo 5

In other news wish I had more wasp to use (only have 3). I really like the vehicle even though it's pretty paper like when it comes to armor and if you just stay in one place you are begging to be shot down. Hope they make some variants of it or something. Like a guass cannon version or a oni variant. Also obligatory
btb pistol starts

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
At double Wardens on Urban. Lots of time left and I have 5 Hannibal Scorpions so I figure I'll spend one. I easily blow up the Wraith but I get stunlocked between the two Wardens because our own Wraith won't get out the fucking way. I move to gunner for a sec but a Banshee comes, I get back inside to main controls and somehow Banshee kills me anyway? Regardless, NO ONE GETS IN THE PERFECTLY FINE HANNIBAL SCORPION. THEY JUST USE THEIR FUCKING LOADOUTS ON MYTHIC WARDENS FROM THE FRONT. So naturally I respawn and get into the groove and there isn't enough time left.

Why... why do I even bother trying to carry. Any team that needs carry can't be carried.

Edit: Also apparently Fuel Rod Canon doesn't count? We had the mission to destroy the Diving Sun. I killed some FRC grunts so I had one with 18 shots. Eventually I decide to destroy it so while it's low and slow I fire away nonstop. It goes from full HP to dead but I got no credit for the kill. I wasn't even on reload. But then later we had to kill the soldier bandits and I shot one with my BR and like a minute later while I was dead someone killed it and I got credit for that one.

Edit 2: Halo 2 Alpha Beam Rifle also apparently doesn't count. I shot Mythic Warden several times, hurting him badly, until he died exactly from my last shot with no one else shooting at him, and I got no credit.

Also I would have been able to actually use two different Typhoons if they had remained on the ground after I died so I could go get them, but I guess cheap one-shot deaths and sitting around waiting for the respawn timer to finish after wasitng my REQ energy is more important to the game experience or whatever. I know it is SO IMPORTANT but if you want people to use something other than vehicles, maybe changing that could help.

Edit 3: Gotta keep stylin on em

I know I just wrote a long post but I went back to Reach this evening. It's really crazy to me how the AI in the series has regressed, like I find the AI in 5 and Reach to be different in an alarming way. Reach's enemies feel like they don't need insane amounts of health or crazy lock on aim to take you down.
Not to mention the way they move around and actually fight, just so much more hectic while at the same time making you feel like you're in control, but if you mess up that really was on you and not the game going "Eh fuck you".
Also keep forgetting how much variety they had, Elites AND brutes, Jackels, Skirmishers, Grunts, Engineers, Buggers and Hunters.

I really want a full Reach Remaster :( I'd pay full price even after The Master Chief Collection

I know I just wrote a long post but I went back to Reach this evening. It's really crazy to me how the AI in the series has regressed, like I find the AI in 5 and Reach to be different in an alarming way. Reach's enemies feel like they don't need insane amounts of health or crazy lock on aim to take you down.
Not to mention the way they move around and actually fight, just so much more hectic while at the same time making you feel like you're in control, but if you mess up that really was on you and not the game going "Eh fuck you".
Also keep forgetting how much variety they had, Elites AND brutes, Jackels, Skirmishers, Grunts, Engineers, Buggers and Hunters.

I really want a full Reach Remaster :( I'd pay full price even after The Master Chief Collection

Are you talking about Reach's campaign, or Firefight? Because Firefight in Reach and Firefight in Halo 5 are two very different things.

Similarly, the AI in the campaign versus the AI in Firefight are even more substantially divorced. Seriously, go play the campaign. The AI there is really smart and very fair; it's just a matter of 343i deciding Firefight should be challenging, so everything is an enormous bullet sponge with heat-seeking ammunition (and also that Prometheans should attack you like a swarm of bees, which they almost never did in the campaign).

There's a lot of stuff wrong with FF in Halo 5, but the enemy AI in Halo 5 as a whole? It's really good. It's just that the issues with Warzone's AI in general (in that in order to make fighting over bosses viable, they need huge health pools) were not addressed in the shift from a PvPvE sandbox, to an exclusively PvE sandbox.

The Reach Elites were really fun to fight against. Halo 2 and 3 were a step down in that regard, but Reach felt like a return to form. Shout-out to knocking off the Brute armor in Halo 3 though, that was fun. Shooting off pieces of the Flood soldiers was cool too. You could have a Flood soldier shooting you with some weapon, shoot that arm off, then they'll frikkin leap at you and slap your shit with the tentacle arm they still had.

CE was such an amazing experience at that time. From the Pillar of Autumn to Halo, from the Sniper section on Truth and Reconciliation to the vast battles of the stages that followed. From the incredible Flood reveal and the tension that gameplay dynamic brought, to the final escape sequence of The Maw. Goddamn was that an incredible campaign. Covenant, Sentinels, Flood, and the multiple classes within them. What a time that was. Fast forward to today and consider all the enemy types we have now.

There's so much to work with in a variety of ways. So much potential diversity that I hope we see them all together in the same game.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So confirmed user error, then rage for no reason, then somehow #lazydevs.

Got it.

No, I never said lazy devs or anything similar. 343i made the best console online multiplayer shooter, possibly ever. Anything involving transactions I assume comes from Microsoft.

I can only use my Req points right now on either Silver Packs or Bronze Packs.

Every Gold Pack, or combo Gold Pack, costs something whether it's $2.89 or more.

It usually takes a few seconds for my Req points to load since I got the game at launch and have logged over 14 days in multiplayer (probably more) so I'm used to the lag when it comes to loading Req points.

I guess I didn't convey that properly but I can only use my Req points on Silver or Bronze packs without a transaction.

Trup1aya

No, I never said lazy devs or anything similar. 343i made the best console online multiplayer shooter, possibly ever. Anything involving transactions I assume comes from Microsoft.

Every Gold Pack, or combo Gold Pack, costs something whether it's $2.89 or more.

It usually takes a few seconds for my Req points to load since I got the game at launch and have logged over 14 days in multiplayer (probably more) so I'm used to the lag when it comes to loading Req points.

I guess I didn't convey that properly but I can only use my Req points on Silver or Bronze packs without a transaction.

Persecution Complex in effect? What are you talking about man?

Gold packs can be purchased for 10,000 RP... As they always have. Alternatively you can buy them with cash, and they are currently offering a 40% discount.

If you don't see the RP option, I dunno, maybe your game is bugged or something. Care to make a video? Also, Try using waypoint to Get your req packs.

Seriously, I frequent multiple halo related sites and reddit. You are the only person making this complaint. If this were an actual issue, it would be THE TOPIC of discussion everywhere.

Gwyn

Probably a bug even though i never heard anything like it.

Try to:
1. Hard reset console(?)
2. Delete local save from Halo

Really happy I was able to make my way to Onyx a few days ago (team slayer). And definitely happy to see that the seasons seem to be lasting longer now. I feel the matches are getting much better/competitive and theres actual team communication. I just hate how often I get lag on my end...

Dice

Plasma pistols actually work pretty well against the Phaetons... but you run out of ammo before you have gotten back energy for another.... and your team will just watch how highly effective it is and yet not do it themselves... and there are those damn ghosts & soldiers on the ground everyone will allow to live so you could die before you use much of one... and there isn't enough time to do literally everything yourself (though I have killed 2 ghosts, 3 soldiers, and 3 phaetons).

pieface

Has anyone from 343 ever given a reason for not making a solo play list? This game is just soul destroying coming up against a party to the point where I just stop playing.

Has anyone from 343 ever given a reason for not making a solo play list? This game is just soul destroying coming up against a party to the point where I just stop playing.

With how their current server performance is ATM, i dont think they will implement more options with networking.

How many times, a day, do we hear people have server issues? It can range from REQs not loading fast enough or not working at all. It also ranges from being disconnected or being connected to a server that is out of their region. Arena and Warzone have their own set of common server/networking issues, i think everyone here can agree.

I WISH they could insert a solo type of option, to cater to those of us who que up solo, but i dont think they will.

With how their current server performance is ATM, i dont think they will implement more options with networking.

How many times, a day, do we hear people have server issues? It can range from REQs not loading fast enough or not working at all. It also ranges from being disconnected or being connected to a server that is out of their region. Arena and Warzone have their own set of common server/networking issues, i think everyone here can agree.

I WISH they could insert a solo type of option, to cater to those of us who que up solo, but i dont think they will.

Now you won't be hired.
But unfortunately it's true.

Sai

What exactly are you supposed to do against the two Mythic Warden Eternals on the last round of Firefight on Urban? If you try to bring out tanks, the game keeps spawning you from the garage, right in between them both of them, with a bunch of cars and barricades restricting your movement, and enemy Banshees peppering you as you're being stun locked by the jerks.

Then if other players try spawning their own tanks, they can't get anywhere because the guy who brought out the first tank is in the way.

Phaetons and Banshees are probably the only vehicles that could get out of that mess. Just gotta survive the swarm of enemy Banshees, while/avoiding all the EMP lasers from the Wardens enough to start dealing any kind of meaningful damage to them. ._______.

Dice

Another SPNKr EX gone before I can even use it. I even made sure to clear EVERY LAST ENEMY except the boss before getting it but more spawned in behind me while I was at the REQ station and I got hit in the back with a Void's Tear from a Grunt.

Maybe I'll be able to actually fire the last one once.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Caught up on last weeks HCS matches. Evil Geniuses are a mess right now. They really need to win this week. E6 is looking great (except their logo).

Top Bottom