• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

HaloGAF, as I've been getting more and more back in Halo 5, I've unlocked a couple of legendary REQs and that led me to a question...

Why would I ever use any of those if I lose them after one use? (or in the case of Firefight, lose them after 5 seconds becaue 5 Knights and 15 Crawlers spawned right in front of me)

Like I got Tartarus' Gavel and Nornfang earlier and was PUMPED and then I realized I will never use those items ever because I like having them and what are the odds I'll see them ever again.

Legendary and Mythic REQs shouldn't be a one-time use, rather an item that can be re-obtained with RP. They're like trophy weapons, once you have em, they're yours but you gotta spend RP that you would spend on packs to get them again.

I was looking forward to getting the Halo CE Pistol after using it on one of the BTB maps, now not so much.

Speaking from personal experience, you have to get over that mental block and call in rare REQs more often. They aren't doing anything sitting in your inventory.

You can only play X amount of games in a day/week, so you might as well call in something special, especially if you're in a game and things are already going well. While you might not see another one for a while, you'll get another randomly soon enough, and you're guaranteed to get the Cert later on. In the meantime, you'll be getting a bunch of other stuff to try by opening packs, more than you could ever really use.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I REQd a Tartarus' Gavel and rekt a Warden. It was pretty fun. I also REQd a SPNKr EX and died before firing it once... four times. Hopefully I'll be able to actually use my last one, but that isn't going to happen just sitting in the inventory.

I do think they should let guns persist on the ground so you can't just lose them to the wind and all the energy you spent on them, but you gotta try to have fun to have fun.

I REQd a Tartarus' Gavel and rekt a Warden. It was pretty fun. I also REQd a SPNKr EX and died before firing it once... four times. Hopefully I'll be able to actually use my last one, but that isn't going to happen just sitting in the inventory.

I do think they should let guns persist on the ground so you can't just lose them to the wind and all the energy you spent on them, but you gotta try to have fun to have fun.

That's probably the only thing I hate about REQs. I don't mind that they're single use items, but what's annoying is they disappear.

Although if you spawn early with the mongoose trick, the weapon is still there

Round 5. Spawned a tundra mantis. Map = apex

Spawned across the map. Took me a minute to walk to the boss wraith lux. Teamates killed him before i got there.

Guess thats cool i didn't have to do anything. But i wasted a req :(

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeahhhh, no thanks. I've only heard bad things about that workplace.

I just hope the person replacing Bravo gives just as much shit about the community as Bravo and bs angel did.

you also seem to be happy with ESL so I just thought of someone that is a well known person in the community, in Europe and a nice person.

See it as a compliment <3

Of course we get matched against a Team full of Onyx ~2700 in our last game. Crushed us 15-50. lol

I can't complain. We still have a 53% win percentage each Season, but it's so good to not have to rely on randoms.

Wow I wonder how high of an onyx level you need for champion

Akai__

and a nice person.

m4MrceI.gif

Wow I wonder how high of an onyx level you need for champion

The #200 Champion is currently at 3199 CSR as per Halotracker.com. Remember, this is a 2 Month Season.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That's probably the only thing I hate about REQs. I don't mind that they're single use items, but what's annoying is they disappear.
I wonder how much is to prevent conflict between players. For instance, the other day someone on a ghost was killed so I grabbed it. They came back and started running at me, hitting me to let me know it was theirs and I turned it over to them. I hope they weren't mad, because it would have just exploded if I hadn't grabbed it, but I can see a lot of players not turning it over and even running over the person harassing them because they weren't paying attention to who had it first.

Obviously all speculation, but it wouldn't be the first time "This is why we can't have nice things" came into play with online games.

I wonder how much is to prevent conflict between players. For instance, the other day someone on a ghost was killed so I grabbed it. They came back and started running at me, hitting me to let me know it was theirs and I turned it over to them. I hope they weren't mad, because it would have just exploded if I hadn't grabbed it, but I can see a lot of players not turning it over and even running over the person harassing them because they weren't paying attention to who had it first.

Obviously all speculation, but it wouldn't be the first time "This is why we can't have nice things" came into play with online games.

I had a random teammate in a warzone assault game a couple days ago repeatedly Spartan charging my ghost for some reason. So naturally, I splattered him and went on my merry way.

Unless you were dumb enough to pay actual money for REQs, who the hell cares if somebody takes your weapon or vehicle after you died?

You clearly failed to make the best use of it, let somebody else try.

BradC00

Unless you were dumb enough to pay actual money for REQs, who the hell cares if somebody takes your weapon or vehicle after you died?

You clearly failed to make the best use of it, let somebody else try.

they are talking about someone intentionally killing you for your weapon, like what happens in BTB for snipe.

This game is such a love hate relationship. Played a bunch and finally got to play Molten a number of times (it’s actually decent). I love everything about the gameplay and it makes me want to play more. However, fuck the fucking matchmaking, it’s just terrible. It’s nice to be playing again though. I experience the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. H5 is the type of game you just can’t quit because the core gameplay is just too good.

That couldn't happen in Warzone, there's no friendly fire.

You apparently don't play much Warzone.

In other news, I finally got around to mass-selling all the REQs I wasn't going to use after spending all 630k RP on stream the other day. Result: I'm back up to 188k RP. Maybe I should make this a monthly stream thingy since apparently I get back up there in bank so quick. You guys agree?

In other news, I finally got around to mass-selling all the REQs I wasn't going to use after spending all 630k RP on stream the other day. Result: I'm back up to 188k RP. Maybe I should make this a monthly stream thingy since apparently I get back up there in bank so quick. You guys agree?

Please tell me of all the times you were killed by friendly fire in Warzone.

Splattering is the only way you can kill teammates in Warzone. Now, granted, there's a ton of 'WTF' moments that come from 343i's vehicle physics and damage modelling, but that's another discussion.

This game is such a love hate relationship. Played a bunch and finally got to play Molten a number of times (it’s actually decent). I love everything about the gameplay and it makes me want to play more. However, fuck the fucking matchmaking, it’s just terrible. It’s nice to be playing again though. I experience the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. H5 is the type of game you just can’t quit because the core gameplay is just too good.

You should have waited until tomorrow to play with me :(

I would watch a stream of yours.
Like I'm the only viewer o TCKaos.

You are aware that vehicles still deal damage, right?

I get betrayed in Warzone all the time, especially when camo'd - I'm cursed.

Are you intentionally splattered by people specifically looking to take your weapon?

I hate the fact that players can nudge me with a warthog and kill me, while running headlong into an enemy will only drop their shields in some cases, but that seems a different balancing issue.

Please tell me of all the times you were killed by friendly fire in Warzone.

Splattering is the only way you can kill teammates in Warzone. Now, granted, there's a ton of 'WTF' moments that come from 343i's vehicle physics and damage modelling, but that's another discussion.
I'm very good at running over teammates

Insert love for Assault Preview playlist here...

Safe to say I'm loving the Assault Preview playlist, it's taken me away from FF in fact. So much fun, it's like I'm back in a Halo 3 objective playlist. Hawt. The cherry would be the return of 1-sided OBJ.

Solo matching standout game was this one, got scored on and our team punished them for it but I took the overkill credit :)
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/1e978e24-8ec7-43bb-9e87-a1e5276a3a50

Then I went on a rampage for the rest of the game, defended like a champ and scored twice to bring back the win. Randies in Assault are such a mixed bag for both teams.
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

A nice play for a triple, had the overkill stolen but moved the bomb from our arm to their arm as well, felt good.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/32262680-71c7-48dd-9997-fa7d1c08fd2a

I kept it going all night, something like 7/8 wins in a row solo, 2/3 bomb arms a game, 5+ defends and +20 kills most games. It was a total blast for an assault superfan like me. Love this playlist 343i, can we just keep it as is for a full release? I hope the population in this list is big.

Different game but I love the OHK bomb beatdowns and double thrust. Perfect addition to assault 343.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/3da5e350-eaab-4718-b3e0-a77e38f0b5da

Another game but I just had to betray this randy for the bomb arm with rockets and a triple.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/d68e23f7-0817-4036-93fd-21d5769729cb

I might be slowing down these days, old man reflexes not as quick as the mind but a nice play nonetheless.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/f558bc41-bef0-4dda-a09c-244f8c7fcb21

Yeah yeah, randies that don't know how to play assault. You be quiet and don't ruin this old man's fun :)

Round 1
Defend the armory!

Round 2
Kill the ghost scouts!

Round 3
Defend the spire

Round 4
Kill banshee raiders

Round 5
Kill deacon pipap! .....And then kill 3 knights in the cave....

Yay apex!

Graciaus

Do I play with terrible randoms or is firefight really hard? Out of 7 games I only won once and it was when we had 4 tanks shooting at two eternal wardens. Every other game we run out of time way before the objective is close to being done.

Trup1aya

Do I play with terrible randoms or is firefight really hard? Out of 7 games I only won once and it was when we had 4 tanks shooting at two eternal wardens. Every other game we run out of time way before the objective is close to being done.

Probably a combination of both

I would love some more varied FF waves, especially for rounds 1 and 2. Like, "Kill the active camo Hunter pair", "Kill the Elites driving around on Mongeese", a Black Hawk Down-esque "Defend the downed Pelican", or "Capture the Armory being held by the Needler-fanatic Grunts"

I would love some more varied FF waves, especially for rounds 1 and 2. Like, "Kill the active camo Hunter pair", "Kill the Elites driving around on Mongeese", a Black Hawk Down-esque "Defend the downed Pelican", or "Capture the Armory being held by the Needler-fanatic Grunts"
Cool ideas, I'd like to hunt around the map for a couple of Camo Elites. It'd be awesome if you get bonus points for clearing bosses in a certain way too, like assassinating those Camo Elites for extra RP.

So much potential with this mode and Firefight in general.

Round 1
Defend the armory!

Round 2
Kill the ghost scouts!

Round 3
Defend the spire

Round 4
Kill banshee raiders

Round 5
Kill deacon pipap! .....And then kill 3 knights in the cave....

Yay apex!

The worst offender on Apex is twin wardens at round 3. Good luck killing them with BRs and maybe some normal ghosts.

Wish I could play some halo but with the recent move I'm going to have to wait a week or two to get internet. But already am going to hate the rust I will have when I try to play again. Want to play some more firefight and warzone cause I have yet to get the new map or fight the mythic grunt boss.

Karl2177

screenshot-original-18.png

So I've been teasing it for a while, but I finally have a working, finalized version of the map formerly known as Refraction. It's now called Glass House. It's named for the large panels of glass covering the exterior of the map. It stems from the phrase "don't throw stones in glass houses" and so I decided to incorporate that into the name and it's description.

Some of y'all have played on the alpha version of the map, and not a lot has changed since then. The map layout largely remains the same, with some slight changes to accommodate the desired aesthetics or from feedback received during the testing. I'm very appreciative of all the feedback I received in my playtests and hopefully I was able to address the issues without getting rid of the things that people liked. Having said that, there are still some changes that I wanted to make, but I'm still limited by the pieces available and the mechanics behind some aspects of building a map.

The design was originally done in 2009, as a more vertical take on The Pit. It was revised in December 2010 when Anchor 9 released and some concepts were taken from it. It as then left abandoned for years because Reach wasn't a fair vertical game and Halo 4 was well... I figured with Halo 5's great mobility additions now was the best time to bring it to life. It also helped that Halo 5's Forge was such an improvement over previous versions.

screenshot-original-14.png

I'll write more on this later, but I wanted to use lines on the ground to help guide the players' eyes along paths that I want them to take. These lines will hopefully guide players to the Sniper and the lift.

Halo Waypoint: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...Karl2177_f11354d9-92e4-460c-a900-a6584f11774c

Moa

The worst offender on Apex is twin wardens at round 3. Good luck killing them with BRs and maybe some normal ghosts.

ONI hogs will actually make quick work of them. If you position your hogs towards the armoury and just pepper at Warden, you should be able to finish him off. He shouldn't aggro you at all, but if he does, just move the hog behind a rock to avoid his attacks and quickly pop back out.

Top Bottom