• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
ONI hogs will actually make quick work of them. If you position your hogs towards the armoury and just pepper at Warden, you should be able to finish him off. He shouldn't aggro you at all, but if he does, just move the hog behind a rock to avoid his attacks and quickly pop back out.
So you either have a teammate who is in on the plan or somehow magically keep all your teammates from hopping in and driving you straight into them.

Moa

So you either have a teammate who is in on the plan or somehow magically keep all your teammates from hopping in and driving you straight into them.

Yeahhh. Downside to this is you need to be playing with at least another person. Solo queuing you should still expect a loss.

Anyone bought gold packs on sale? i'm done with silver and wondering if it's worth it to buy some gold packs.

Not really. Best saving them until you get all the loadout weapons and emblems. Basically, use it when you're close to the finishline. Otherwise you'll be spending cash on stuff you don't want/need.

Dice

So we have the 4 Hunters finish on a Round 5. I was in the walkway shooting through the gap to kill one that moved forward. Two teammates were along the entrance side walkway. They were shooting at the Hunter with me and it just died. They weren't shooting anymore so I figured it's clear and turned the corner right into a fucking Elite with a sword. Why weren't my teammates shooting him? Who the fuck knows, because he sure as hell wasn't cloaked. Of course AFTER I'm dead they throw (waste) grenades at him instead of saving them for the remaining hunter. And with 45 seconds of me not in the fight we lose.

So lesson of the day that for some reason hasn't sunk in after 5 billion times: Never ever ever ever ever trust your teammates.

Dice

I did some calculations and not even counting emblems there are 230 unlocks left that I don't give a flying fuck about. I technically could just give fuck all about any unlocks and save up all the credit needed to get everything in one go rather than have so many individual disappointments, but then REQ packs are how you get a constant replenishment on your weapons and vehicles, so I guess I have to somehow lower my expectations of getting cool permanent unlocks to zero so it doesn't get to me.

Or maybe I'll just play RDR for the first time..

Yeah a big number are rare emblems from commendations. They really need to find a better cosmetics than emblems. It's really frustrating.
They did change it tho. Emblems won't take the place away from a permanent unlock like weapon certs/vehicles/armor/skins. At release, you had the chance to get an emblem instead of weapon certs or vehicle. That sucked.

Poster#1

They did change it tho. Emblems won't take the place away from a permanent unlock like weapon certs/vehicles/armor/skins. At release, you had the chance to get an emblem instead of weapon certs or vehicle. That sucked.

Really? didn't know that! Glad it doesn't take Perm Req spot anymore.

So what's the consensus on Krith's Left Hand? I don't have many weapon REQs left (maybe 6 or 7), and I was curious what people's thoughts on it were.

So what's the consensus on Krith's Left Hand? I don't have many weapon REQs left (maybe 6 or 7), and I was curious what people's thoughts on it were.

That burst fire beam rifle? I pulled one from a random weapon card before, went on a killing frenzy with it. Don't think it is top tier though, if you want to pull a legendary sniper might as well go with Nornfang.

pieface

Is there a system to what weapons you should use against specific enemies in Friefight?

Ie, do Human weapons do more damage against Promethians than Covenant?

3v4 are so much fun.

We still won, no thanks to me!

Trup1aya

Did anyone watch Tsquared casting the Open Circuit Finals yesterday?

It was actually the most entertaining bit of competitive halo since the XGames.

There were quite a few series that came down to game 5, and that were decided by 1 or 2 points. Also Towey and T2's analysis was excellent.

Spoilers:

Unfortunately, the last series of the night ended with Elevate beating 3sUP do to DQ (they had internet trouble). 3sUP had beaten Elevate in painfully close reverse sweep earlier in the tournament.

Anyway, Denial (formerly French Toast Mafia) and Elevate will be facing off against Liquid and Optic on July 30th in a fight to qualify for Pro League.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of these AM teams end up making it into the fall pro league at Optic and Liquid expense.

I also would be surprised to see players from any of the 3 aforementioned AM teams replacing some of the currently underperforming Pro Players.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Did anyone watch Tsquared casting the Open Circuit Finals yesterday?

It was actually the most entertaining bit of competitive halo since the XGames.

There were quite a few series that came down to game 5, and that were decided by 1 or 2 points. Also Towey and T2's analysis was excellent.

Spoilers:

Unfortunately, the last series of the night ended with Elevate beating 3sUP do to DQ (they had internet trouble). 3sUP had beaten Elevate in painfully close reverse sweep earlier in the tournament.

Anyway, Denial (formerly French Toast Mafia) and Elevate will be facing off against Liquid and Optic on July 30th in a fight to qualify for Pro League.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of these AM teams end up making it into the fall pro league at Optic and Liquid expense.

With the way OpTic has been playing lately, I would be pretty scared. Denial looks hungry and dangerous. Rammy is a monster. We'll see what happens on the big stage though. OpTic is made of veterans who have competed and won with lots on the line.

When Xbox Live's new feature Clubs, becomes available, are we going to make a HaloGaf one?

Seems like you will be able to communicate with all membes within the club with your xbox app too. might it replace discord for some folks?

screenshot-original-18.png

So I've been teasing it for a while, but I finally have a working, finalized version of the map formerly known as Refraction. It's now called Glass House. It's named for the large panels of glass covering the exterior of the map. It stems from the phrase "don't throw stones in glass houses" and so I decided to incorporate that into the name and it's description.

Some of y'all have played on the alpha version of the map, and not a lot has changed since then. The map layout largely remains the same, with some slight changes to accommodate the desired aesthetics or from feedback received during the testing. I'm very appreciative of all the feedback I received in my playtests and hopefully I was able to address the issues without getting rid of the things that people liked. Having said that, there are still some changes that I wanted to make, but I'm still limited by the pieces available and the mechanics behind some aspects of building a map.

The design was originally done in 2009, as a more vertical take on The Pit. It was revised in December 2010 when Anchor 9 released and some concepts were taken from it. It as then left abandoned for years because Reach wasn't a fair vertical game and Halo 4 was well... I figured with Halo 5's great mobility additions now was the best time to bring it to life. It also helped that Halo 5's Forge was such an improvement over previous versions.

screenshot-original-14.png

I'll write more on this later, but I wanted to use lines on the ground to help guide the players' eyes along paths that I want them to take. These lines will hopefully guide players to the Sniper and the lift.

Halo Waypoint: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...Karl2177_f11354d9-92e4-460c-a900-a6584f11774c

this looks great. something about the aesthetics that i love. need to download and try

I stopped playing this game when, after grinding gold REQ packs all day, I finally got a Legendary armor drop and it was Locke's helmet, literally the only Legendary item in the game that people could get for free before the game even came out. I was fucking furious. What are the odds out of all the Legendary helmets that I get the one that's utterly worthless because everyone else already had it?

I stopped playing this game when, after grinding gold REQ packs all day, I finally got a Legendary armor drop and it was Locke's helmet, literally the only Legendary item in the game that people could get for free before the game even came out. I was fucking furious. What are the odds out of all the Legendary helmets that I get the one that's utterly worthless because everyone else already had it?

I think that was just a preorder bonus from Gamestop.

Meaning, that out of the people currently playing, only a tiny tiny percentage have it unLOCKEd

Is there a system to what weapons you should use against specific enemies in Friefight?

Ie, do Human weapons do more damage against Promethians than Covenant?

I think human weapons in general are better vs Prometheans. You want a ghost or scout warthog to splatter them, not shooting them.

Fuchsdh

I think human weapons in general are better vs Prometheans. You want a ghost or scout warthog to splatter them, not shooting them.

Generally using a faction's own weapons are best. Covenant melt to plasma and overcharged bolts, Suppressors keep a bead on Soldiers teleporting around, et al.

Generally using a faction's own weapons are best. Covenant melt to plasma and overcharged bolts, Suppressors keep a bead on Soldiers teleporting around, et al.

Yeah I think this is the case.

I wish there was a 3rd faction (maybe brutes), where there's a triangle of Supereffectiveness.

Like maybe if Brute beats Plasma, Plasma beats Promethean, and Promethean beats Brute.

Trup1aya

I think, unless you are using kinetic bolts, human weapons aren't really effective against Promethean's.

The light rifle for example is far better against the Soldiers than the standard BR. And the Boltshot and Surpressor both home in on Knight weak spots.

Did they mention what features the clubs have? Does it aso function as a "board" for posts too? Or is it just a collection of people from a community.

i can't imagine many would use that unless they have a keyboard. I guess it would be cool to share clips quick with clubs though.

Oh yeah I didn't mean having full out discussions or anything. More along the lines of something like a twitter feed of only stuff from your community you're in. So You could post a funny clip or screenshot with a little blurb, and have it exposed to your whole community, without having to send the clip manually via xbl msgs.

Yeah I was going to make it when it goes live.

Alright, sounds good! HOPEFULLY I CAN JOIN

Did they mention what features the clubs have? Does it aso function as a "board" for posts too? Or is it just a collection of people from a community.

I imagine something along the lines of a board considering it will have a lot of capabilities for the moderator n such.

From: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/11/scorpio-microsoft-xbox-one-s-future-video-games?

Now it wants to remind us of all that with a bunch of new Xbox Live features, designed to better organise social play. This autumn, there will be three new services: Clubs, Looking for Groups and Arena. Clubs lets you set up themed groups of players who can meet up online and play whatever they like. During an E3 demo, Tom Langan, a group program manager on Xbox services, showed a few examples of possible Club titles such as “West Coast Players” and “Women Only”. Club members are able to communicate via real-time chat, and can track what other members are playing, and these social options work on any Xbox Live app, so you can quickly check on your phone what people are up to.

“When I was in college, I had a regular group of people I always played with,” says Ybarra. “We sat in IRC channels to talk to each other - it was like Slack is today. Even when you weren’t playing you were still communicating with these people, because your friendship goes beyond just gaming. I thought, how do we bring that back? So now you can create a club, you can manage it, invite people, kick people out, but it’s a persistent place that’s sort of a home – it’s a set of friends you can always go back and talk to”.

Looking for Groups, meanwhile, is more like a matchmaking app, which lets you quickly discover like-minded players to compete beside or against. When you load it up, the UI shows how many people are currently looking for groups. If you select something you want to play, it narrows down the list to similar people, then you go through a set of filters – such as ‘No trash talking’, ‘Must be experienced’, ‘Mic required’ – so you can gradually narrow in on a select group. You can then enter tournaments as a group, and can invite people to play with you at certain times.

“With Looking for Groups you can say, ‘I’m looking for a group at 8pm to play Gears’ – and you’ll get notifications saying, here are the people who applied, here is their level of experience and you can select a group and you’re ready to go,” says Ybarra. “Groups already exist today, but a lot of people have to go off their console, get on their PC, open a browser and go to, say, DestinyLFG.net for example. Looking for Groups kind of answers that. We’re just taking the best of the PC gaming world, uniting it with console, and delivering an experience that lets people find other players who fit a specific criteria.”

Finally, Arena is a sort of eSports for All section of Xbox Live which lets players enter public tournaments and win prizes. “The heart of Xbox has always been competitive multiplayer so this is a tournament platform that lets developers and tournament operators like FaceIt, ESL, etc, to be able to say we’re going do a Gears 4 competition this weekend, we can take 1000 players and the prize is, say, 12 months free Xbox Live Gold membership for your whole team, and you just start competing. It’s going back to the LAN days of 15 years ago when people brought their PCs into a conference room, wired them up and played together. That’s what we’re trying to get at.”

Oh yeah I didn't mean having full out discussions or anything. More along the lines of something like a twitter feed of only stuff from your community you're in. So You could post a funny clip or screenshot with a little blurb, and have it exposed to your whole community, without having to send the clip manually via xbl msgs.
Yeah, I gotta say I would be more inclined to watch clips people post here if it has that.

I was starting to play badly and getting frustrated, but it was good. It's better to play with someone!

Yeah it started out fine because we were getting Plats/Diamonds/Onyxes. Then near the end we were going against Onyx groups mainly. That one group was like +2000 Onyxes lol. The Rig game pissed me off. They played so fucking passively, just crouching all the time. I hate Rig because it promotes that type of gameplay. Oh well, it was still fun.

My hands start to hurt if I play for too long. I think I grip the controller too hard when I'm in competitive games. lol

Yeah it started out fine because we were getting Plats/Diamonds/Onyxes. Then near the end we were going against Onyx groups mainly. That one group was like +2000 Onyxes lol. The Rig game pissed me off. They played so fucking passively, just crouching all the time. I hate Rig because it promotes that type of gameplay. Oh well, it was still fun.

My hands start to hurt if I play for too long. I think I grip the controller too hard when I'm in competitive games. lol

I fucking hate Rig. They had 25 kills at 5 minutes! Holy fuck.... Crouching with a scattershot. It's so bad. #BanRig

Invite me next time GUYZ... we'll be the THREE HUSEKTEETS!

T_______T ....

I just join people. They had to deal with me or kick me :p

Top Bottom