• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Fuchsdh

y u do this??? :(

image.php

ExWife's crew getting wrecked by Funk :p

Thought people would be interested in this

Halo 5's core MP is a thing that would be refined and tuned in the future, not rebooted, reinvented or reset. That doesn't preclude any number of improvements, additions or completely new modes and methods of play, but the team does recognize the core strengths, advantages and extensibility of the current MP tune.

That's very positive news. And completely logical; why would they radically alter it after the huge investments made in the development of Halo 5? The hardest part has been accomplished.

Really glad to hear we're looking at an iteration, rather than a whole new thing. I know some people want them to go full evergreen, and we're almost there, but repackaging everything in Halo 6 with a graphics overhaul, a full set of expected modes and maps on day 1, and perhaps most importantly that "new game" shine would go a long way to getting people to come back. Halo 5 suffered because of 4 and the MCC; let's see Halo 6 benefit from H5's positive WoM, THEN go evergreen.

You know. Since they made the halo 5 engine for win10 with dx12, i imagine they are already prepared to have the next halo mainline mirror halo 5's lines of code. Or something like that.

So im pretty confident they will build on halo 5 mp, just with a new engine they transitioned to a dx12 build. Pretty excited to see what ppl find in the halo 5 win10 version.

Well get a tatse of how halo 5 would loook in 4k too

Fuchsdh

Really glad to hear we're looking at an iteration, rather than a whole new thing. I know some people want them to go full evergreen, and we're almost there, but repackaging everything in Halo 6 with a graphics overhaul, a full set of expected modes and maps on day 1, and perhaps most importantly that "new game" shine would go a long way to getting people to come back. Halo 5 suffered because of 4 and the MCC; let's see Halo 6 benefit from H5's positive WoM, THEN go evergreen.

Yep. Rebuilding and retooling a game to be your own is a big thing, but I can't fault some people for not feeling at home with Halo 5 because the modes and their niche in Halo isn't there.

(Hopefully we're getting goddamn Ricochet in matchmaking, speaking of...)

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm really liking the Molten map as I get to know it.

Love the sniper rifle placement and that little window and overall view you get.

Man, you know how people say that working a retail job should be mandatory for the perspective sometimes? Anyone who whines about game design should try some programming, even if it's basic stuff. That's not to say that the "if X want more Y in their games, why don't they make their own games" argument actually has any credence beyond mild dogwhistling, but I mean, like, having started to implement certain mechanics myself, I can totally understand why certain decisions were made, even in some of the past Halo titles.

More specifically, gonna soapbox about ADS for a minute. Like, I know one of the common complaints about the ADS in H5 is that it feels like zooming in takes a little too long, and while "loading times" aren't really an issue with it relative to the engine, classic-scoping has a ton going for it on the backend that allows the mechanic to appear more seamless, namely:

- Camera is just shoved forward, with adjustments to FOV optional - while with ADS, the camera is usually moved slightly forwards or backwards with the FOV almost always being modified. The important part of this is that with classic-scoping, you don't actually have to try and fudge first-person gun animations in a way that makes sense - you basically get to strip out all the elements of the first-person player model in favor of a basic overlay, which is way, way less work compared to some of the more intricate ADS things going on in H5

- Going from standard "player-holds-gun" stance to disembodied classic-scope "feels" like it makes sense if it's near-instant, whereas doing so instantly with ADS can feel janky

- The most important part - player input: again, going from standard "player-holds-gun" stance to disembodied classic-scope and being able to fire seamlessly throughout "feels" like it makes sense, even if it really doesn't. I mean, especially in situations with some of the alien weapons like the Beam Rifle and Carbine - if you scoped in with the Carbine, you're probably going to end up beaning yourself in the face when you fire. You're definitely going to hit yourself in the face if you go straight from scoping-in to a reload, and you're also inhaling lethal amounts of radiation, but I digress - when you go from standard "player-holds-gun" stance to ADS, there's sort of an expectation that the player / Spartan is doing ADS stuff, so it kinda sorta makes sense that you wouldn't be able to fire. That being said, this is an obvious and disorienting leap going from classic scope to ADS - and it definitely feels slower.

I know some people around early H5 launch suggested that lag on zooming in with the Sniper Rifle was a "limitation of the engine" and that 343 essentially shot themselves in the foot (I don't know how much you know about gamedev culture, but I'm an expert and development and game are huge parts of it) by somehow capping themselves as though "let player shoot after X delay" was some type of insurmountable complication. Even though, y'know, later down the line we got classic-scope weapons. We got the Halo 1 scope, even. If I had to guess, it's either:

A) An intentional design choice in order to make the delay on input times consistent across weapons, to avoid player confusion, OR
B) It wasn't considered a substantial enough departure from ADS pre-launch to completely re-do that particular input delay system, though feedback was obviously taken into account when creating weapons such as the H2BR or CE Magnum

Personally? I think having full control and being able to fire while cycling between unscoped and ADS would be an "easy" solution, but at the same time I have a feeling that would probably break a lot more than one would expect, at least in H5's current breed of engine. I think it could be accounted for, for sure, but there's also certain "alt-fires" dependent on scope, namely Hydra lock-on, which could be kind of confusing for the player if they aren't given a clear indication as to when the alt-fire begins.

I think one possible solution for future titles would be:

- Precision (headshot-capable) weapons have classic scope, as well as traditional descope.

- Weapons that aren't headshot-capable have ADS (or smart-link), and have the "flinch" mechanic return. That being said, if the player sustains a certain amount of damage, they could be taken out of smartlink, just not as easily as with the precision weapons. Additionally, scope-dependent alt-fires would only be present on ADS weapons, not precision weapons.

- A handful of heavy weapons (Rockets, Laser etc.) could have a composite where they zoom in using a disembodied camera, but have the illusion of some type of model covering up the peripherals for balance reasons. Could go either way in terms of descope or flinch.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
When I tried to find a match earlier it wouldn't even enter a lobby so I downloaded RDR instead. I'll try again now.

Agreed, I'd like to see matchmaking and tournies have a rule of 1 or 2 matches and that map is removed from the next game selection pool. Keep the weightings and all that but halt the map coming up 3 times in a row, twice in a row is bearable and allows the higher weighted maps to shine without the dragging repetition.
If they would just have the game not end until someone caps the 3rd flag, that would be best, but yeah. I just prefer a mixup.
You missed the point of the analogy. The point is that you're advocating switching gametypes instead of playing until you have a winner. Changing the overtime system could work and that's not the issue. Gametype choice (veto system) is equivalent to the homefield advantage in the analogy. I wasn't advocating for Halo's specific overtime system, but the fact that they keep playing the same gametype/map combo.
That's totally fair. I haven't been on gaf for most of the day, so just now responding.

Dice

I don't know why but I just bought the 47 gold pack bundle.

Got a bunch of cool shit I'll probably never use since I don't really play Warzone except to get my daily pack

Dice

RIPOFFFFFFFFFFFF

I got Tartarus Gavel, which just sounds like it should be badass so I'm hoping it is
It is. It is completely badass. The slam is huge but there is also a massive deadly shockwave so don't think you have to be right on em to do work.

Edit: Round 1 defend the armory. Team lasted a whole 3m20s. Prometheans not OP at all.

Edit 2: JIP round 3 protect the forerunner core. No fucking chance. Prometheans SO FUN TO PLAY AGAINST.

Wasting my life on load screens here.

mo60

I rarely get above 30 kills in a match(I'm not counting firefight) in halo 5 but, but I got pretty lucky in this warzone match. This match is tied for my second highest match in terms of spartan kills in halo 5.

Screenshot-Original.png

Akai__

That's very positive news. And completely logical; why would they radically alter it after the huge investments made in the development of Halo 5? The hardest part has been accomplished.

Yeah, that wouldn't really make any sense. I wouldn't be surprised if they add new features, though. Something like the Double Jump and Vault comes to mind, that got cut during development.

Reconfirming what Tom French said, basically.

We will probably know more after MS wraps up the Fiscal Year, which is on the 19th I believe.

MouldyK

Went into the SWAT Lobby...

...got put in a FFA Match...

...quit...

...played a SWAT game...

...banned for 4 minutes for quitting too much...

...343i, Plz.

Trup1aya

So how do you all feel about Assault..

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it does feel better. Games actually end before the time limit!

But my god, seems like Assualt brings out more clueless teammates than any other objective mode.

So how do you all feel about Assault..

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it does feel better. Games actually end before the time limit!

But my god, seems like Assualt brings out more clueless teammates than any other objective mode.

I liked it, mainly because it's an objective gametype to play besides Strongholds. Had one troll teammate who kept shooting us and made the game impossible because I couldn't tell if it was him being an idiot or an enemy coming from behind since neither would show up on radar

but had an ok teammate in another. I never played Assault in this game so he give helpful tips like double dashing if you have the bomb where most people would just be raging and yelling at shit teammates that dont even know how to play

Trup1aya

I liked it, mainly because it's an objective gametype to play besides Strongholds. Had one troll teammate who kept shooting us and made the game impossible because I couldn't tell if it was him being an idiot or an enemy coming from behind since neither would show up on radar

but had an ok teammate in another. I never played Assault in this game so he give helpful tips like double dashing if you have the bomb where most people would just be raging and yelling at shit teammates that dont even know how to play

FYI if a teammate causes you damage, you'll see a green marker indicator on your HUD, detailing where the damage came from.

Bessy67

I love firefight but sometimes it can be so frustrating. Like, if I have the attention of 2 hunters in a kill the hunters round, get behind them and shoot. Stop just spraying fire into the armored front.

I love firefight but sometimes it can be so frustrating. Like, if I have the attention of 2 hunters in a kill the hunters round, get behind them and shoot. Stop just spraying fire into the armored front.

It's shocking that after like 7 Halo games to have Hunters that people still have no idea how to fight them. Sure there's some new players, but not that many.

Akai__

Akai dedicated about 8 hours per saturday with two 4 hour sessions to accommodate people with different time zones.

Dont think anyone will do that much for gaf again. But i know exwife hosts some wz matches toward the evening of mountain time.

Akai is GOAT tier ;)

You give me too much credit. :p

Someone got a link to the confirmation or more stuff coming to the game?

Also warzone firefight makes me want brutes so bad.

From the last CU: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/rtx-recap

Speaking of, we’ve seen many inquiries about what’s to come for Halo 5. We're glad you're asking. While you won’t be seeing updates every month moving forward, nor updates the size of the Warzone Firefight release, we’re happy to let you know that there’s still more on the way. Things we have yet to talk about or discuss. Things that I have seen, and I think you will like. These and more are in the works, so in short, there is indeed more to come. Rest easy.

Akai dedicated about 8 hours per saturday with two 4 hour sessions to accommodate people with different time zones.

Dont think anyone will do that much for gaf again. But i know exwife hosts some wz matches toward the evening of mountain time.
I wont be on until late tonight, if at all, so feel free to make your own lobbies. Or hit up Prinz Eugn or whoever. Just flood him with tweets or something. I'm sure he'd like that.

Top Bottom