• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Cranster

Banned
People complaining that Halo 5's marketing mislead everyone and for some reason neglect to mention this!

latest

Also Halo 5's campaign mode is great, I have criticism's aswell regarding them making similar mistakes they made with Halo 4's campaign and the lack of Blue Team stages, but it was a huge improvement over Halo 4's corridor crawl.

People complaining that Halo 5's marketing mislead everyone and for some reason neglect to mention this!

latest

Thats not even remotely similar. That ad was obviously setting up a context of high stakes, not saying chief will die.

Halo 5 had ads, an audio show, interviews, and more that specifically stated and discussed a premise and context that was completely absent from the game.

Cranster

Banned
Thats not even remotely similar. That ad was obviously setting up a context of high stakes, not saying chief will die.
Actually the Believe campaign did hint about his death. The game's campaign also had no similarly scaled battles and even lacked the grittiness and atmosphere of the advertisements. There was alot of disapointment at the time from some fans and newcomers that the game was nothing like the Believe Diorama.

Halo 5 had ads, an audio show, interviews, and more that specifically stated and discussed a premise and context that was completely absent from the game.
None of it was absent, the Chief went AWOL, ONI dispatched a team to hunt him down, ONI created a cover story, major events were being rumored to be occurring in the outer colonies and it all unfolded in Halo 5's campaign.

I'm noticing a double standard here.

Meh, Halo 5 was presented far differently from what we got. I was expecting ONI lies, Chief and Locke having their paths crossed throughout the story, two conflicting viewpoints on what it means to serve, and a whole heaping helping a moral grey area. What I got was location hopping, the return of those pesky Prometheans, and what should of been a late game twist revealed in the second mission.

I'm not particularly upset by it, I still enjoyed my time with the campaign, but expectations had to be reaaaaaaally recalibrated once it was apparent that none of what was marketed was going to happen in any meaningful way.

The Hunt the Truth stuff bums me out cause we aren't even going to follow up on the ONI spy craft stuff in Halo 6. There's just no way to fit that in a game where humanity is on the backfoot, trying to regroup and find a way to defeat a seemingly immortal AI and her followers.

Actually the Believe campaign did hint about his death. The game's campaign also had no similarly scaled battles and even lacked the grittiness and atmosphere of the advertisements. There was alot of disapointment at the time from some fans and newcomers that the game was nothing like the Believe Diorama.

None of it was absent, the Chief went AWOL, ONI dispatched a team to hunt him down, ONI created a cover story, major events were being rumored to be occurring in the outer colonies and it all unfolded in Halo 5's campaign.

I'm noticing a double standard here.

Hmm. I didn't remember that, but I never thought that one ad had much to do with what we would expect from the game. I suppose you are right though. However we did at least fight for earth and had several large battles Halo style in the first 3/4 missions.

Btw, for Halo 5 I'm referring to a lot of the ONI drama, Chief conspiracy, and violent chief vs locke portrayals. It was barely there. What was there was really empty and shallow. I think the campaign was a lot of fun to play, but it is still hugely disappointing especially after the incredible Hunt The Truth series.

*shrug*

raindoc

What's this Lootcrate thing about? Digital goodies? I think I saw pic of a box containing shirts and other physical merch too? Any reason to go for one?

jem0208

But didn't the first few missions of H5 start with Locke chasing down Chief. He did hunt him down, they did battle. Sure it was weaker than the Hunt The Truth and trailers had us believe but it's not like zero content.

There's even a line early on where Locke talks to Buck about chasing down John that when replaying makes you realise he's chasing Chief to give him a chance and find out the truth for himself. Buck even says the line "you know they'll all hate us, right?". Isn't that hunting the truth and cutscenes around the marketing build up? It's not like 343 outright lied.

How about the comparison to H3's diorama where Chief lights a sticky when appearing to be dead in a Brute's hand? Can we really bitch this much about H5 marketing?

What about the bet ya can't stick it line from H2 marketing? Or the invasion of Earth advertising etc.

Shit even BvS had similar misleads, the trailer part where Batman dodges the red beam appears to be Supes, but it's Doomsday in the movie and not even an encounter of BvS at all.
Every single Locke mission except for the very first involves Osiris trying to get to the Chief in some way. It wasn't particularly well written and the chief is only considered rogue for a part of it but you definitely spend quite a bit of time hunting/chasing the Chief.

Regarding the oni spy drama, that was only really present in Hunt the Truth right? IIRC correctly, 343 always said that it was a side story with little relevance to the main plot. At least that's what I remember.

Trup1aya

Eh.... I don't think Halo marketing has ever been particularly representative of the final game.

Halo 2 is probably the most egregious, considering they gave the impression that Earth would be a primary setting AND the the fight would be finished.

I think the issue with Halo 5 is that the marketing uniquely hit at some very specific and interesting plot points that never appeared in the game:

The whole 'chief as a traitor angle" never materializes. Of course WE never thought he'd done anything to cause these disasters, but no one in the game did either.

ONI as a shadowy, manipulative agency also never materialized

The various rebellious human factions never materialized.

Unlike any other Halo marketing, this campaing gave the impression that the game would actually portray a massive universe filled with intricate conflicts. But in reality is was quite restrained.

Pretty sure Chief does go 'rogue', in that he ignores orders and buggers off, and pretty sure there is a 'Hunt', as Osiris are constantly chasing Blue Team's shadows. In terms of the reaction to Chief, we see one side. HTT et al could reasonably be set up as the 'rest of humanity's perspective' - i.e. another side to the story, complementing, not reflecting the game's own story directly. Given the feedback about H4, I guess 343 wanted to gee up the story in the universe elsewhere, and have the game story be simpler and more direct.

Whether that's as exciting and magical as everyone hoped, is another matter.

I thought the campaign was pretty damn good, for the most part. I liked HTT but I didn't think it was mindblowing, so perhaps that was part of it. I found the Cortana stuff much more exciting than anything else (and I thought her presentation was terrific: more powerful, still the cool cat lady we know and love, but just with that edge of crazy).

jem0208

Probably my biggest disappointment with the story was the inclusion of Blue Team.

I really like the lone wolf aspect of the Chief and I feel like the story would have been far more interesting had the Cheif been alone.

Trup1aya

Probably my biggest disappointment with the story was the inclusion of Blue Team.

I really like the lone wolf aspect of the Chief and I feel like the story would have been far more interesting had the Cheif been alone.

I feel like the story was just disappointing all the way around. I had lofty expecations due to the HTT campain and the Ntkrnl leaks, but even if I kept my expectations in check, I would have been let down.

I would have been fine with my time as Locke and Osiris, had it actually allowed for some interesting exposition. I figured they'd use the fact that we were playing as a team of new characters, they'd use that perspective to inform the player on the characters who already had a history in the franchise. Instead EVERYONE was glossed over. It was the perfect time to dive deeply into Blue Team, ONI, M'dama and Halsey in a way that previously would have been only possible in the books.

Secondly, I never felt like a Hunt was taking place; not a Hunt for Chief nor a Hunt for the Truth. This opinion was partially informed by the ntkrnl leaks; it seems like their actually WAS a plan for more of an open ended approach to the story telling (as evidenced by the two 'Hub' missions). However, I never felt like I was tracking the Chief: instead I was moving through linear missions, with conspicuously placed bread crumbs to pickup using the juvenile and superfluous Artemis tracking system. The game was doing all the 'hunting' for me. "The Truth" was never a mystery. It was just 'dues ex machina" that revealed itself in the first act.

I could forgive the revelation of the games true antagonist, if there had been any sort of decent explanation as to why motivations would change so dramatically. But even as someone who is familiar with the extended lore, it doesn't make much sense. I can imagine that anyone who's only played the games would walk away thinking that "the domain" is some space macguffin that turns people into tyrannical dictators.

So there are these glaring plot disappointments, and writing deficiencies. Then on top of that there are tons these Promethean enemies, who just aren't as fun to fight as the covenant. The only way to defeat them efficiently is to use Promethean weaponry, which again isn't fun as its Covenant and UNSC counterparts. Then there is the annoying squad AI, and the tedious and repetive Warden fights.

It's just upsetting to know what couldn't have been, and realize that 343i fell woefully short of that.The only saving grace for me is that, despite the linearity, The campain level design is pretty excellent.

Madness

Every single Locke mission except for the very first involves Osiris trying to get to the Chief in some way. It wasn't particularly well written and the chief is only considered rogue for a part of it but you definitely spend quite a bit of time hunting/chasing the Chief.

Regarding the oni spy drama, that was only really present in Hunt the Truth right? IIRC correctly, 343 always said that it was a side story with little relevance to the main plot. At least that's what I remember.

Just saying that they're looking for Chief doesn't really mean anything. The inclusion of Osiris Team did absolutely nothing for the story or change any aspect of the gameplay. They were literally just Not Chief's designed to present these characters as heroes so that when Chief is eventually killed off, the Halo series can move forward or they can sell additional products with these characters. Case in point, the new Loot Crate which mentions being inducted as part of the Spartan-IV program which features legendary spartans like Commander Palmer and Fireteam Osiris in the description, as if anyone buying the Loot Crate considers those people to be Legendary Spartans already.

Halo 2 is a great example for gameplay and story. I never liked the campaign, but playing as the Arbiter not only did you get much different gameplay with the ability to use cloak and sword and Covie weapons a lot of the time, but you also got a look at the Covenant side of the story that could never have been told if we only played as Chief. Contrast with Halo 5, we visit almost the same locales Chief does with Fireteam Osiris, the only gameplay change is a slight ability to find ammo crates or intel items better. The story was a jumbled mess with no coherency, and key moments just done away with altogether. Level design and encounter wise it was much better than H4, but probably the worst storyline in the series. Just in the series for the MP now.

Halo marketing is the greatest marketing EVA!!!!

Don't you all get ya bungholes in a pinch now. Each time, they provide us with something awesome and memorable. I can't think of any other game that also makes me think of their marketing.

Why not just be glad that we were catered to? Hunt the Truth was absolutely amazing. If you have not listened to either of the seasons, please do. First time i've ever listened to an audio story podcast like that, and it's changed my mind on them. I secretly hope for a season 3 because of the characters. It actually made me more engaged into the LORE, as before i didn't really care outside of the games.

Halo marketing is HYPE. I really think that if you really want to downplay the marketing and relate it to the actual game and argue they need to be 1:1, i'd say you have some weird expectations in life and your opinion on how entertainment should have teaser trailers, marketing is invalid. Seriously. No form of entertainment is ever fully representative of the real product when releasing teaser information. Ozzy had a great example of BvS.

Anywho. REMEMBER TO GET YA LOG IN REQ PACK FOR THE DAY FOLKS!!! :p

Halowaypoint.com -> Sign in -> Service Record -> Req -> Unopened Packs

link1201

I mostly agree. I want to play as MC. I hope they ditch the squad aspect unless you're playing co-op.

I'm just disappointed with where they took the Universe in general with Halo 4 after Halo 3. Felt like it had so much build up with 4's announcement and then within the second mission we're already introduced back to humanity. Chief just ends up back where he was all along at the end
I had a small glimmer of hope that Chief would be the only human in 4, and that was how they were gonna try and humanize him more, instead he just talked more I guess.
That and The Prometheans and the Didact
(lol killed off in a comic after 4)
really weren't that interesting at all to me.

I wanted way more of a "reboot" in a lot of ways with the story and universe I guess. 5 also didn't feel like anything special.

.....I got the Halo 2 Battle Rifle the other day btw, thing is a monster

jem0208

Just saying that they're looking for Chief doesn't really mean anything. The inclusion of Osiris Team did absolutely nothing for the story or change any aspect of the gameplay. They were literally just Not Chief's designed to present these characters as heroes so that when Chief is eventually killed off, the Halo series can move forward or they can sell additional products with these characters. Case in point, the new Loot Crate which mentions being inducted as part of the Spartan-IV program which features legendary spartans like Commander Palmer and Fireteam Osiris in the description, as if anyone buying the Loot Crate considers those people to be Legendary Spartans already.

Halo 2 is a great example for gameplay and story. I never liked the campaign, but playing as the Arbiter not only did you get much different gameplay with the ability to use cloak and sword and Covie weapons a lot of the time, but you also got a look at the Covenant side of the story that could never have been told if we only played as Chief. Contrast with Halo 5, we visit almost the same locales Chief does with Fireteam Osiris, the only gameplay change is a slight ability to find ammo crates or intel items better. The story was a jumbled mess with no coherency, and key moments just done away with altogether. Level design and encounter wise it was much better than H4, but probably the worst storyline in the series. Just in the series for the MP now.
I don't think the storyline was all that great, although I still enjoyed it. I was just disagreeing with the idea that the marketing was all a lie.

As a standalone and a follow up to 4 I think H5's story was pretty disappointing, there were so many places it could have been better. I think as a buildup to 6 it's done fairly well though. Humanity is on the back foot and is on the run again and I quite like what they did with Cortana. One disappointing entry doesn't mean the next can't still be good.

Halo marketing is the greatest marketing EVA!!!!

Don't you all get ya bungholes in a pinch now. Each time, they provide us with something awesome and memorable. I can't think of any other game that also makes me think of their marketing.

Why not just be glad that we were catered to? Hunt the Truth was absolutely amazing. If you have not listened to either of the seasons, please do. First time i've ever listened to an audio story podcast like that, and it's changed my mind on them. I secretly hope for a season 3 because of the characters. It actually made me more engaged into the LORE, as before i didn't really care outside of the games.

Halo marketing is HYPE. I really think that if you really want to downplay the marketing and relate it to the actual game and argue they need to be 1:1, i'd say you have some weird expectations in life and your opinion on how entertainment should have teaser trailers, marketing is invalid. Seriously. No form of entertainment is ever fully representative of the real product when releasing teaser information. Ozzy had a great example of BvS.

Anywho. REMEMBER TO GET YA LOG IN REQ PACK FOR THE DAY FOLKS!!! :p

Halowaypoint.com -> Sign in -> Service Record -> Req -> Unopened Packs

I have like 40 unopened packs. At this point I just don't give a fuck to open them.

Trup1aya

Can't say I'm in love with the execution of the cortana thing. It's not that I thinks she's sacred should've never been tampered with. I just don't feel like the writers did much to establish what limits of her power are.

Functionally, she is a God, right? Access to every single data network AND the domain means she can be everywhere and see everything, and As always, hijack systems, right? Well, she can't when it's not convenient for story. I have no clue how they can functionally portray a believable struggle going forward.

I have like 40 unopened packs. At this point I just don't give a fuck to open them.

What are you playing these days? My fire kind of died out a week n half after FF and in relation to the announcment of no monthly updates.

Plus, in arena where i go against onyx and diamonds when im only a low level wood tier plat, it frusturating.

What are you playing these days? My fire kind of died out a week n half after FF and in relation to the announcment of no monthly updates.
Plus, in arena where i go against onyx and diamonds when im only a low level wood tier plat, it frusturating.

Mainly, Overwatch and that got me playing Hearthstone (it's really fucking good and I never played a card game before lol). Other than those two I play a lot of strategy, like Hearts of Iron IV or Total War: Warhammer.

I still play Halo a few times a week, but most of my time is spent elsewhere. I want to play Halo, but goddamn the matchmaking is shit and I can’t stress this enough, it literally kills the game for me. Overwatch MM is heaven compared to it and OW MM can be shit sometimes. So that’s saying a lot.

Moa

Yeah, tons. I really hope theirs some WZFF balance changes coming, we've should've heard something by now.

Hope so, too.

It's a shame that the monthly updates have stopped because it probably means it will be multiple months before we see bug fixes, UI changes, new content and balance changes :(

So, we were told that 15 maps (9 arena, 6 Warzone ) would be released up to June 2016. Now that the monthly updates are done and June has passed, let's count.

Arena:
Overgrowth
Riptide
Torque
Tyrant
Stasis
Molten

Warzone:
Battle of Noctus
Urban
Skirmish at Darkstar
Attack on Sanctum
Prospect

So 3 arena maps and 1 Warzone Map are missing from what should have released up to last month. Hopefully we see more than that though, arena needs some natural maps.

So, we were told that 15 maps (9 arena, 6 Warzone ) would be released up to June 2016. Now that the monthly updates are done and June has passed, let's count.

Arena:
Overgrowth
Riptide
Torque
Tyrant
Stasis
Molten

Warzone:
Battle of Noctus
Urban
Skirmish at Darkstar
Attack on Sanctum
Prospect

So 3 arena maps and 1 Warzone Map are missing from what should have released up to last month. Hopefully we see more than that though, arena needs some natural maps.

You forgot to count BTB.

Hopefully Halo 6 is being made in a new engine or something so splitscreen can exist.

From what i remember, split screen is feasible with the current engine. It was the hardware that couldn't keep up with 60fps and splitscreen. It ultimetly came down to that being cut instead of something else.

The engine now is going to be used for Halo 6. The forge for win10 is a hint, since it is being re-made/tooled/whatever with dx12 and will support resolutions up to 4k (2160p).

I'm pretty sure Stinkles will comment on splitscreen when the new mainline halo starts to become talked about in the future.

Not worth it, considering Halo 5 was the largest change to the codebase to date.

but it always seemed like every change or addition they made had a risk of borking other aspects of the game. the team has made it seem the case plenty of times. how many times can you change an engine before it turns to mush?

Trup1aya

I'm just shuddering thinking of all the shit that would be left out of Halo 6 (again) if 343i tried to build a new engine AND shit a game by 2018.

Sounds like a horrible idea to me. Aren't we tired of 343i trying to reinvent the wheel, especially when the wheel we have now is pretty damn good.

They just need to walk back on their '60fps / no compromises' philosophy, and allow the game to run at 30fps when in split screen.

Cranster

Banned
From what i remember, split screen is feasible with the current engine. It was the hardware that couldn't keep up with 60fps and splitscreen. It ultimetly came down to that being cut instead of something else.

The engine now is going to be used for Halo 6. The forge for win10 is a hint, since it is being re-made/tooled/whatever with dx12 and will support resolutions up to 4k (2160p).

I'm pretty sure Stinkles will comment on splitscreen when the new mainline halo starts to become talked about in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this but I could be wrong...

Halo 6 on Xbox One/Xbox One S: No splitscreen.

Halo 6 on Project Scorpio: Splitscreen support.

I hope though that they don't redo an entire engine again though, otherwise they won't really get a chance to push graphics even further and we might end up having to wait again on gametypes like with Halo 5.

Ramirez

Pretty sure the only thing that would make me come back at this point is a true social play list. I have no interest in the game competitively anymore, but I still would like to play it. But you can't boot the game up once a week and have fun with the way the matchmaking works in 4v4.

Karl2177

but it always seemed like every change or addition they made had a risk of borking other aspects of the game. the team has made it seem the case plenty of times. how many times can you change an engine before it turns to mush?
That's just how software development is. One change can mess up other things and by the sounds of it, a lot of Bungie's code was pretty ramshackled together. So there were probably a lot of dependencies that shouldn't have existed, but did.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this but I could be wrong...

Halo 6 on Xbox One/Xbox One S: No splitscreen.

Halo 6 on Project Scorpio: Splitscreen support.

People would be really upset if splitscreen was exclusive to scorpio. there are too many negatives to do that. "hey, we put in splitscreen! But you need to buy the premium version of Xbox, Project Scorpio"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm just shuddering thinking of all the shit that would be left out of Halo 6 (again) if 343i tried to build a new engine AND shit a game by 2018.

Sounds like a horrible idea to me. Aren't we tired of 343i trying to reinvent the wheel, especially when the wheel we have now is pretty damn good.

They just need to walk back on their '60fps / no compromises' philosophy, and allow the game to run at 30fps when in split screen.

Split screen is something we took and take very seriously. It has not been arbitrarily or tactically shelved for future software and is something we'd always look at trying to implement if schedules, hardware and engine accommodated it. Naturally we have nothing to promise, reject or explain at this time, so this is really just a philosophical reminder that split screen didn't make it last time for development rather than philosophical reasons.

It's also inaccurate to say that we wouldn't have considered 30fps or other fidelity compromises solely for split screen, since split screen IS automatically a compromised situation and we're well aware players know that going in. It certainly was a contributing factor, since the game simulation runs at 60fps, but not "the" reason.

I have even read conspiracy theories about "selling more Xbones" etc., which are simply false.

Yeah, that's just how code works. A seemingly innocuous change has the potential to create or expose numerous unforeseen bugs. Creating an entirely new engine would crank that shit up to 11.

Trup1aya

Split screen is something we took and take very seriously. It has not been arbitrarily or tactically shelved for future software and is something we'd always look at trying to implement if schedules, hardware and engine accommodated it. Naturally we have nothing to promise, reject or explain at this time, so this is really just a philosophical reminder that split screen didn't make it last time for development rather than philosophical reasons.

It's also inaccurate to say that we wouldn't have considered 30fps or other fidelity compromises solely for split screen, since split screen IS automatically a compromised situation and we're well aware players know that going in. It certainly was a contributing factor, since the game simulation runs at 60fps, but not "the" reason.

I have even read conspiracy theories about "selling more Xbones" etc., which are simply false.

It's always been clear to me that the lack of split screen isn't something you all have taken lightly. I just hope that in future installments, the feature makes it into the "make sure this works at all costs" section of the priorities list.

I hope you didn't take my comment to mean that I felt split screen was excluded arbitrarily. I fully believe that if time and the development realities permitted, this game would have had all the content that previous titles had and then some. I just don't want to see you guys start all over again, because this games basic ingredients are great.

I will say this though, there was some PR language around launch that gave people the impression that the engine was tuned to "60fps w/ no compromises" and "the" reason. Of course its Never THAT simple.

BizzyBum

Threads been slowling down, whatcha guys been up to? Havent posted in awhile.

I just got my new gaming PC this past Friday so I've been basking in games like Witcher 3, Doom, and Fallout 4 completely maxed out.

Haven't popped on Halo since then, but I'll try to get some games in today.

Arena:
Overgrowth
Riptide
Torque
Tyrant
Stasis
Molten

Warzone:
Battle of Noctus
Urban
Skirmish at Darkstar
Attack on Sanctum
Prospect

We were told 15 maps, and 6 Warzone - that doesn't mean we were owed 9 Arena maps. I imagine Tidal, Parallax and Glacier (the latter two weren't in base game, and were added with Forge release) all contribute to the count.

Feel bad Frank has had to repeat himself so much on the topic of splitscreen, but it's nice regardless.

I just remember something being said about underlying systems requiring 60fps which made splitscreen unfeasible at the time of development.

That said, I was playing splitscreen COD with my wife last night and Borderlands 2 and could care less about the framerate dipping and being unstable. We were just thankful to play together.

Top Bottom