• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Wow I had to go to the second page. Halo is mom.

Anyways, looks like Halo 5 will continue to be bundled with xbox's.

Taken from another thread:

From ekim's Twitter:

EIf9YPy.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/ekim_gaf/status/752506812226830336?s=17

Chittagong

Gold Member
Halo 5 is now work career compatible. The multiplayer against in-region players is so sublime, I can land hits like never before, so satisfying. However around 1AM on week nights match making seems to run out of in-region players and I get matched out-of-region. I suddenly struggle to keep up to >1 KD ratio, and begin to get a shit ton of assists. Always a step behind. Before the MP improvements the change wasn't noticeable, but now it is (quite literally) night and day.

It's like Halo 5 telling me - go to bed.

Halo 5 is now work career compatible. The multiplayer against in-region players is so sublime, I can land hits like never before, iso satisfying. However around 1AM on week nights match making seems to run out of in-region players and I get matched out-of-region. I suddenly struggle to keep up to >1 KD ratio, and begin to get a shit ton of assists.Always a step behind. Before the MP improvements the change wasn't noticeable, but now it is (quite literally) night and day.

It's like Halo 5 telling me - go to bed.

I know this feeling.

Never thought I'd see the day where Ozzy wasn't complaining about server issues. If it's really fixed, kudos Tashi. Don't let it happen again! Keep that switch flipped up.

Never thought I'd see the day where Ozzy wasn't complaining about server issues. If it's really fixed, kudos Tashi. Don't let it happen again! Keep that switch flipped up.

I really have to hand it to them, it's nuclear hot fire these days and has been since about 2 weeks after the focused, balanced, expanded release/updates. I'm literally not finishing Doom solo, I'm ditching friends in full parties of Overwatch and not buying Inside as I'm addicted to Assault and FF. H5 is a real Halo gem and the connections really don't fee like the reason I lose an encounter or game. Finally, after all these years and game releases. I don't get pissed at losing, I missed shots or reacted slow etc and not my connection losing it for me. Solo queue and individual rank would be nice but I can live with just having great connections.

I hate to say it but Halo buddies for a decade plus, annual paintball and LAN parties at my place are fucking nuts to not be playing H5 somewhat daily. They love FF but just don't tough it out in Arena. Sure Overwatch is a pull away for them and has great connections but it's not Halo baby.

They'll be back, they always come back :) It's also great to see ACL (Aussie Halo pro league) players returning to play and running into them in matchmaking, at least the ones I knew. Added a few of them back as friends or dormant accounts now getting Halo playtime again.

*A huge massive chunk is 343 fixing things, I won't take that away but a small part of it is also changing from Australian DNS settings for ISPs to Google Public DNS. For some reason when playing Halo this makes a different to the latency and matchmaking filters being more effective IMO. It's like Aussie ISPs have issues at the DNS level talking to local Azure datacentres.

I can not win a match of Firefight to save my life. The difficulty is so imbalanced.

Let me tell you. When ff launched, i did not win a single game until the following week.

I lost at all rounds different times. It wasn't always an issue with round 5 or a round 3. Its a bit tough solo too. Especially when you need good/decent reqs for certain rounds.

http://i.imgur.com/JBcFWko.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I know I love the new Doom too, it doesn't help I'm at a shitty checkpoint spot with low ammo in all guns right before a couple of waves of enemies hit. 4 or 5 times I've given it a crack only to fail on the final cyber demon (hurt me plenty mode).

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ayVV4G5.jpg

Was just 1 Hannibal scorpion shot away from killing the final mythic hunter on stormbreak and my power goes out (which never happens).

The timing... I'm spewing!!!

And how am I going to heat up my chicken nuggets now?

Let me tell you. When ff launched, i did not win a single game until the following week.

I lost at all rounds different times. It wasn't always an issue with round 5 or a round 3. Its a bit tough solo too. Especially when you need good/decent reqs for certain rounds.

I don't get it, only solo all modes and I don't see how it's that hard.
I usually go for a ghost or scout hog in the early rounds for splatters, then good wraith or tank in the later rounds for spongy bosses... I'm finding others do the same.

If they made it easier it would be a walk in the park for anyone who knows what they are doing imo

Join t have to be prepared to use good reqs

Was just 1 Hannibal scorpion shot away from killing the final mythic hunter on stormbreak and my power goes out (which never happens).

The timing... I'm spewing!!!

And how am I going to heat up my chicken nuggets now?

Fill a pot with the absolute hottest water from a tap or bathtub. place nuggets in plastic Ziploc sanwhich bag, and submerge it in the water. Then put the pot in the oven (even if it can't turn on, you can use it as an insulator).

^^ this right here is how bored I am at work that I'd type that shit out

I don't get it, only solo all modes and I don't see how it's that hard.
I usually go for a ghost or scout hog in the early rounds for splatters, then good wraith or tank in the later rounds for spongy bosses... I'm finding others do the same.

If they made it easier it would be a walk in the park for anyone who knows what they are doing imo

Join t have to be prepared to use good reqs

I sold all of my vehicle reqs as i was a arena mainly type of player. Now that ff is out ive saved up vehicles because like you said, they make rounds easier.

Someone with barely any vehicles and any power reqs wont provide much of help after round 2. Theyll just use their br/ar and waste time to see what req might work against whatver round they are at.

One thing I really hope they look at in Halo 6 is the way all the Spartan Abilities are mapped. I mean, I know they have a lot to fit onto a single controller, but some of the abilities are downright detrimental to the ability to play effectively depending on your control scheme - disabling auto-Stabilizers with Bumper Jumper is probably the most egregious example. Also, why the heck can we only stabilize while zoomed-in? Seems like it'd have a multitude of other applications if that weren't the case.

I've experimented a bit with mapping stuff in my own original-content-do-not-steal gamedev environment, and so far the most comfortable thing I've found for a Stabilizers-esque mechanic was requiring the player to double-tap Crouch while in the air, and holding down the Stabilizer button (e.g. toggle crouch disabled) for as long as you wanted to hover. This covers most of the big problem areas, notably:
- Can be used out of scope
- Doesn't invade the space of traditional functions - a bread-and-butter crouch jump is completely unaffected, and the hold time on the second tap ensures that you can still Gandhi-hop unobstructed
- Allows you to keep both thumbs on the sticks and retain control over movement, even if you don't exactly have a lot of mobility while stabilized

While I think Clamber works great for H5, I also developed a duct-tape-and-PVC-pipe replacement tentatively dubbed the "hover jump", which will give the player a weak "shorthop" that provides just enough leverage to go over ledges, windows, walls, etc. if they hold down Stabilizers for the entire duration (in my case, about 3 seconds). I know one major concern with no radar is that the mobility options (especially Clamber) meaning the player's being attacked from all sides at all times like never before, so nerfing Clamber a bit into something like a hover-jump for no-radar play would also be something I think would be interesting.

Fill a pot with the absolute hottest water from a tap or bathtub. place nuggets in plastic Ziploc sanwhich bag, and submerge it in the water. Then put the pot in the oven (even if it can't turn on, you can use it as an insulator).

^^ this right here is how bored I am at work that I'd type that shit out

I'm going to try this :)

I know I love the new Doom too, it doesn't help I'm at a shitty checkpoint spot with low ammo in all guns right before a couple of waves of enemies hit. 4 or 5 times I've given it a crack only to fail on the final cyber demon (hurt me plenty mode).

ayVV4G5.jpg

Use your chainsaw when you are low on ammo, and use glory kills when you are low on health, you don't need to find any supplies other than armor (even this can be ignored when you have the glory kill armor rune) and chainsaw fuel, Also having upgrades help, things like double shot super shotgun, normal shotgun explosive blast, gauss cannon siege mode and rocket lock on burst make anything below ultra violence a cakewalk,

I sold all of my vehicle reqs as i was a arena mainly type of player. Now that ff is out ive saved up vehicles because like you said, they make rounds easier.

Someone with barely any vehicles and any power reqs wont provide much of help after round 2. Theyll just use their br/ar and waste time to see what req might work against whatver round they are at.

Yeah even if you have a good power weapon you are far too exposed, one sniping jackel or a couple of crawlers will take you out and you're facing a long countdown to respawn.

I'm in a vehicle from req lvl 2 'till the end, splat with hogs and ghosts, strafe in and out of cover with a wraith, snipe with a tank.
You are more protected and you have unlimited ammo.
As long as some of your team mates have the same strat you are a good chance of winning.

A team should win most of the time, that's why I think the difficulty level is just about right.

TCKaos

You know who else loves Doom? Master Chief.

vlxLgNo.jpg

Sauce

So today there were a few things that I discovered on Stream after I had to can the SPV3 stream (thanks OBS!). The REQ property swap allows you to create the following neat things:
  • Non-silenced Whispered Truth (Closed Fist -> Magnum)
  • Silenced Pistol (Any silenced loadout weapon -> Magnum)
  • Silenced Hydra (Any silenced loadout weapon -> Hydra)
  • Incoherent Spray of Bullets (Closed Fist -> HCE Magnum)
  • No Optic BR (Extended Magazine AR or Magnum -> BR)
  • No Optic DMR (Extended Magazine AR or Magnum -> DMR)

Use your chainsaw when you are low on ammo, and use glory kills when you are low on health, you don't need to find any supplies other than armor (even this can be ignored when you have the glory kill armor rune) and chainsaw fuel, Also having upgrades help, things like double shot super shotgun, normal shotgun explosive blast, gauss cannon siege mode and rocket lock on burst make anything below ultra violence a cakewalk,

I have to admit I have most of those, I'm just in a bad spot and can't source ammo around before the encounter. I'll try the siege mode, just unlocked it. I do glory kills but I think I'll need to go for the air glory kills double bonus or whatever that is to get past this bit. I've been saving the gauss ammo and rifle missiles for the cyber demon, chainsaw goes to those bastards that run at you, 6 of them coming at me so bye bye fuel. I just have to grunt past this part, as you say it's basically been a cakewalk otherwise. I think I've only had one other part I got semi-stuck on repeat to pass so far. It's a small area so the run and gun dodging is getting me one hit melee'd at the end of the waves basically.

Back to Halo, here's me getting bitch slapped for the opening OS last night:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ozzy Onya A2Z/video/19541225

Also shout out to the highly skilled
at being AFK or quitting
randies in assault last night:
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

You know who else loves Doom? Master Chief.
Sauce

[/LIST]

Sweet model and texture work.

Trup1aya

For someone with no Reqs, the only way to be useful is to efficiently scavenge for req weapons and be a tank/hog gunner in the later rounds.

i barely looked at the screens, saw ball held and thought they finally added oddball

idk why because they're testing assault, they wouldn't just test another playlist randomly

I wish they'd update the ball games. Different models such as Skulls for the ball, medals and announcements for Oddball and Ricochet, etc...

Something I realized a while back: why bring back the one Halo Reach theme in Halo 5's soundtrack? Well, the major times it's used include:

- Jorge tossing Six out of the airlock
- Going up the space elevator on Meridian as the Guardian blasts it
- Flying around in a Phaeton above a huge chasm as you destroy the Kraken

Well, they already brought back the Halo theme, so why not also tie in the HALO theme?

Also no black under suits. Let us not forget that 343i hates kittens.

so does evilore, apparently

Long story short: Kittens was a user on NeoGAF/HaloGAF who pissed of Evilore in Off-Topic, and Evilore erased him from the internet.

I thought he was one of the folks who committed account suicide when the HaloGAF community thread was banned, but that wouldn't make sense since Evilore doesn't come in here.

RIP Halo
RIP G0SU
RIP Achilles
RIP RIP

Perhaps the notion that we will no longer get monthly updates (included new reqs) might have stopped people from playing/talking about halo 5 since they unlocked everything.

From my understanding a lot of folks kept playing to pool up their RP in anticipation of the new REQs incoming within 4 weeks.

Sure, we are getting updates, but the frequency has not been established yet. I'd wager it will be quaterly now, mainly focused with Forge updates.

-------
When battlefield 1, titanfall 2 and gears 4 comes out though ....

RIP

Perhaps the notion that we will no longer get monthly updates (included new reqs) might have stopped people from playing/talking about halo 5 since they unlocked everything.

From my understanding a lot of folks kept playing to pool up their RP in anticipation of the new REQs incoming within 4 weeks.

Sure, we are getting updates, but the frequency has not been established yet. I'd wager it will be quaterly now, mainly focused with Forge updates.

-------
When battlefield 1, titanfall 2 and gears 4 comes out though ....

RIP

I am curious what they have planned for the rest of Halo 5 life cycle. However, there are a lot of heavy hitters coming out this fall, so the population is only going to get smaller. I guess we’ll see.

Not an account suicide, but my favorite thing to stem from that.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1077689&highlight=locke

Lol that was a great post.

I am curious what they have planned for the rest of Halo 5 life cycle. However, there are a lot of heavy hitters coming out this fall, so the population is only going to get smaller. I guess we’ll see.

Lol that was a great post.

Are you going to party up with me in BF1?
kappa

Long story short: Kittens was a user on NeoGAF/HaloGAF who pissed of Evilore in Off-Topic, and Evilore erased him from the internet.

Ah, makes sense.

I thought he was one of the folks who committed account suicide when the HaloGAF community thread was banned, but that wouldn't make sense since Evilore doesn't come in here.

The good ol' days, when people would post erotic Halo fanart.

Not an account suicide, but my favorite thing to stem from that.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1077689&highlight=locke

LMAO this seriously brightened up my day

Cheddahz

Banned
I finally came back to Halo 5 after playing Overwatch for a month or so and man, this game just so much better (know that they are different from each other, but Halo 5 is just so much more satisfying to play)

Fuchsdh

Overwatch and Pokemon Go have come along to make me realize I am officially old.

With all the stuff getting punted my way with Games with Gold, and the realities of being an adult, I'm starting to think Halo is going to be the only AAA franchise I keep up with at this point and *buy*.

Overwatch and Pokemon Go have come along to make me realize I am officially old.

With all the stuff getting punted my way with Games with Gold, and the realities of being an adult, I'm starting to think Halo is going to be the only AAA franchise I keep up with at this point and *buy*.

I played a little bit of Pokemon Go, it seems to go by pretty fast if you're in a good area.

But yeah, I gave up on playing anything but Halo consistently a while back, unless my wife wants me to play something. I'm pretty surprised with how much Halo she lets me play as it is.

Fuchsdh

I played a little bit of Pokemon Go, it seems to go by pretty fast if you're in a good area.

But yeah, I gave up on playing anything but Halo consistently a while back, unless my wife wants me to play something. I'm pretty surprised with how much Halo she lets me play as it is.

Dota and Halo are probably 80% of my playtime. If I weren't such a completionist it'd probably be higher at this point, I'm still going through GwG and old games I have an achievement or two left in.

Top Bottom