• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Fuchsdh

Not really a great feeling when, on R4 generator defense on Darkstar, the announcer can't even keep up with how quickly it fails

That's usually my experience getting steamrolled in Warzone Assault defense too... Palmer's telling me they're attacking the core and then it's wiped.

For defense missions, objectives need double the health or half the enemies, because those are frickin' unmanageable, even with a good team.

All about the splatters. Had an Urban match we crushed the first round defend the garage and third round generator defense just with judicious application of Ghosts.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
For defense missions, objectives need double the health or half the enemies, because those are frickin' unmanageable, even with a good team.

i LOVE the earlier defense missions with covenant, but something needs to happen with the prometheans. rather than dropping health or decreasing the amount, i'd propose just not spawning knights. its a nice challenge and totally doable till those fuckers show up to the lvl 1 party.

EYEL1NER

My FF match looked like this:

Round 1: Defend the armory

Thanks for wasting my time.
Ha! Same here. Darkstar used to look like that for me but recently I have gotten a rash of "Wave 1: Kill 'X' number of Covenant" waves that eventually saw us winning the maps. Those "Defend the armory" objectives on round one were pissing me off for a while and made me wish that my teammates would just stand back and let them take it. Better for the match to end and start a new one instead of us crashing against a bunch of shitty Prometheans.
Wave 1 "Defend the armory" on Apex is still irritating when someone takes off on a Mongoose and won't take anyone with them, leaving us to make the trudge from the beach to the armory on foot.

I agree with Ivy that just the removal of Knights, or even less Knights, would make the defense objectives more manageable.

"real maps"

since when is this:

wreckage_env_1.jpg

more beautiful than this?

3027602-5.jpg

real maps / real beauty

Cranster

Banned
FFA is still terrible it seems. Word of advice for 343i in the future. Next time you make most CQB weapons useless due to infinite sprint, thruster packs and Spartan Charge. Make sure the maps are large enough so I can not get ambushed by two random players consistently within the first 3 seconds of me spawning.

Holy shit Assault is actually fun. I'm so glad they made it so that games don't just end in 0-0 or 1-0. That was my biggest gripe before: it was way too hard to cap.

Now it's actually a lot better. Of course, I want to play it with more competent teammates...

I had one guy bring the ball to our own base and was confused as to why nothing was happening.

BizzyBum

FFA is still terrible it seems. Word of advice for 343i in the future. Next time you make most CQB weapons useless due to infinite sprint, thruster packs and Spartan Charge. Make sure the maps are large enough so I can not get ambushed by two random players consistently within the first 3 seconds of me spawning.

Depends on the map. FFA can be fun on some of the more open maps with good lines of sight but on maps like Molten and Overgrowth it's just terrible.

In FFA? Did I just read that right?

jem0208

Useless?

CQC weapons have never been more powerful in Halo.

Trup1aya

Not sure I understand the complaint. Close quarter weapons are plenty powerful, and are actually MORE EFFCTIVE ON small maps... Especially with Radar... Too power really...

Oh MCC you still can't hold a large aussie party together. Ugh. Had one great nostalgia game of BTB with 6 of us then back to resets, drop-outs and endless search/console restarts.

link1201

Did they give any indication when we would see new Forge maps in mm? I know they posted threads requesting some awhile back.

Fuchsdh

Did they give any indication when we would see new Forge maps in mm? I know they posted threads requesting some awhile back.

We got the Doubles in, dunno about broader BTB updates or Slayer.

"real maps"

since when is this:

wreckage_env_1.jpg

more beautiful than this?

3027602-5.jpg

real maps / real beauty

I'm still really fond of Shatter's aesthetic:

345.jpg

Had a lot of fun on that map, especially with Extraction, but it always felt weird to me because there was no central path between bases—you had to go around, and there was that funny central area you could only drop into.

Trup1aya

Let's say this survey does exist (it doesn't) and someone (hypothetically) filled it out but didn't get any RP. Should he suspect that they'll come later? Or cry hypothetical tears of disappointment?

Some more Ground Command stuff.

Hello all, Spartan Derek here!
Considering the imminent release of Halo: Ground Command, our very exciting 1/100th scale massed battle game, we thought it would be a good idea to open up a dialogue on the game from a wargamers’ perspective and answer some of your questions.
We have worked really hard, and with the close co-operation of 343 Industries, to embrace the tactical first-person-shooter feel you get in the Halo video games as well as the strategic real-time-strategy feel of video games like Halo Wars and the upcoming Halo Wars 2. But how does that all translate in real terms to the wargaming table? In this and upcoming blogs, we will discuss how we’ve achieved this.
Firstly, let’s think about the challenge of creating a wargame that exists in both FPS and RTS video game genres. One is singular, fast paced, bloody and the action never stops – FPS. The other is more general, measured and requires intense forward planning to execute perfectly – RTS. Both have the wonderful Halo Universe as a backdrop of course, but both provide entirely different experiences. Let me tell you that the task of melding the two together has been challenging, but also huge fun!
In order to allow us to distil all of this diverse game-play that exists in this Universe on the tabletop, we effectively divided Halo: Ground Command into two key gaming spaces: Pre-Game and In-Game. The former refers to the Strategic/RTS part of the game and latter to the Action/FPS part of the game. In this Blog we will focus on the Pre-Game aspect of the rules, saving In-Game for Blog 2.
Pre-Game allows players to flex their RTS muscles, building their Forces strategically to complete their chosen missions. In general play, all scenarios are encouraged to be rolled PRIOR to Forces being chosen, so players can go away and plot their enemy’s eventual demise. This gives the game a planned-outcome-feel since players have had time to reflect on the mission to hand and have brought the right tools for the job (hopefully!).

The rest of the blog goes into the pregame in detail. I like the idea of building your list AFTER the objectives get determined, gives them more flexibility balancing things, since units can be only situationally useful and still have a place. There's some other cool stuff in there to, for those of you sufficiently nerdy to find miniature gaming appealing.

Pics:

Covenant_Attack_Blog_1.jpg
Warthogs.jpg

Covenant_Stealth_Pylon.jpg
Hunters_Web.jpg

singhr1

Therearethosewhosaidthisdaywouldnevercome.gif

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/7-15-16-halo-5-hotfix

Basically you get an extra round before the difficult objectives spawn in, slightly lower kill counts for wave clearing.

Good start I guess. My biggest gripe is still with Urban with the round 5 kill 4 soldier bosses + 3 wardens with huge number of DELAYED promethean spawns of knights and soldier.

I still don't think I have a win on Urban :((

Urban
■Moved “Defend the Garage” objective from Round 1 to Round 2
■Moved “Defend the Forerunner Powercore” (Hill) objective to Round 3

■Moved “Eliminate Knight Sublimis and the Phaeton Helmsmen” objective to Round 4
■Moved “Eliminate the Banshee Raiders” objective to Round 4
■Moved “Kill 35 Prometheans” objective to Round 3

Raid on Apex 7
■Reduced number of knight waves that come in with Grunt Boss in Round 5

Thank The Created for listening to my woes!!!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
those changes sound pretty good. were there any changes to make any combos more difficult rather than easier? don't get me wrong, i enjoy the usual steam roll on sanctum...

Trup1aya

They should have done something with the round 5 Wardens on Urban as well, reduce banshees or knights.

I think this is my favorite round. Every other round five feels too easy, or too difficult due to cheese.

This one sorta gives everyone something to do whether they have high Reqs or not, in vehicles or on foot. And it makes use of the entire play space.

I think this is my favorite round. Every other round five feels too easy, or too difficult due to cheese.

This one sorta gives everyone something to do whether they have high Reqs or not, in vehicles or on foot. And it makes use of the entire play space.

Good luck getting in vehicles with all of those barricades making navigation an absolute chore.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Urban
Moved “Defend the Garage” objective from Round 1 to Round 2
Moved “Defend the Forerunner Powercore” (Hill) objective to Round 3
Moved “Eliminate Knight Sublimis and the Phaeton Helmsmen” objective to Round 4
Moved “Eliminate the Banshee Raiders” objective to Round 4

Skirmish at Darkstar
Moved “Defend the Armory” (Promethean) to Round 2
Moved “Defend the Armory” (Covenant) to Round 1
Moved “Eliminate the Soldier Commandos” objective to Round 4
Moved “Eliminate the Phaeton Helmsmen” objective to Round 4

Escape from A.R.C.
Moved “Defend the Garage” objective to round 4
YES

Now let power weapons stay on the ground so you can go get them if you were killed.

Top Bottom