• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

You know who else loves Doom? Master Chief.

vlxLgNo.jpg

Sauce

[/LIST]

its-so-beautiful-gif.gif

So does everyone else miss maps like high ground, Powerhouse, last resort? (Not that these are the best examples, but maps with natural terrain/areas like them and or not symmetrical either)

Halo 5 really doesn't have anything in Arena matchmaking other than Big Team (And those are all forge maps) that covers these styles of maps, everything is just "arena" like and while I enjoy maps like Truth, I don't want every map to just be like that.

Am I just out of luck now that the game/series is catering to the super competitive? I enjoyed Reach/3 a lot more in normal multiplayer because of this (And back then we actually had a good amount of playlists and game types to choose from).

So does everyone else miss maps like high ground, Powerhouse, last resort? (Not that these are the best examples, but maps with natural terrain/areas like them and or not symmetrical either)

Halo 5 really doesn't have anything in Arena matchmaking other than Big Team (And those are all forge maps) that covers these styles of maps, everything is just "arena" like and while I enjoy maps like Truth, I don't want every map to just be like that.

Am I just out of luck now that the game/series is catering to the super competitive? I enjoyed Reach/3 a lot more in normal multiplayer because of this (And back then we actually had a good amount of playlists and game types to choose from).

I don't miss any of those maps. Though I do miss that type of map, loved Zanzibar and Stonetowm, Last Resort didn't play very well.. High Ground and Powerhouse were bad. Sanctuary was natural, but symmetric, which was nice, same goes for Battle Creek. If they do more arena maps, I'd be happy to see natural settings. Give them a Halo sky box to boot.

Have you seen my post history since H4? :)

I'm in love with the pure assault playlist so I shouldn't complain but 1-sided OBJ and asymmetrical maps away from MLG type settings would be real nice. Stealth bomb/flag and light vehicles are solely missed in OBJ.

So many great maps and memories.

Also we are total asshats in MCC swat. After a few games of sticking out really disadvantaged host games we objective held CTF Swat for a laugh and Aussie host, those guys stayed for a long time getting spawn killed. I stopped killing them out of guilt, my buddies went like 100+ before capping finally.

Have you seen my post history since H4? :)

I'm in love with the pure assault playlist so I shouldn't complain but 1-sided OBJ and asymmetrical maps away from MLG type settings would be real nice. Stealth bomb/flag and light vehicles are solely missed in OBJ.

So many great maps and memories.

Also we are total asshats in MCC swat. After a few games of sticking out really disadvantaged host games we objective held CTF Swat for a laugh and Aussie host, those guys stayed for a long time getting spawn killed. I stopped killing them out of guilt, my buddies went like 100+ before capping finally.

Oh gosh I completely forgot Arena doesn't have any vehicles outside of big team, that's something that also makes me sad :/ I'm just not into getting SUPER competitive in MP games, sure I like winning but I don't give a shit what my "Rank" is. Mix that in with the game just having an abysmal amount of modes compared to even 4. I can't put too much blame on this part I guess though since the engine was probably so overhauled for the One that bringing everything back wasn't going to be easy like from Reach to 4. Still, I don't get how 1 flag isn't some kind of custom game option. Hell, how come we can't make King of the Hill from Strongholds?

Fuchsdh

Oh gosh I completely forgot Arena doesn't have any vehicles outside of big team, that's something that also makes me sad :/ I'm just not into getting SUPER competitive in MP games, sure I like winning but I don't give a shit what my "Rank" is. Mix that in with the game just having an abysmal amount of modes compared to even 4. I can't put too much blame on this part I guess though since the engine was probably so overhauled for the One that bringing everything back wasn't going to be easy like from Reach to 4. Still, I don't get how 1 flag isn't some kind of custom game option. Hell, how come we can't make King of the Hill from Strongholds?

I can see why Arena doesn't have maps with limited vehicles, but Team Slayer could easily use forged maps in that category.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man this loss streak, I'm top of my team nearly every game, got dealt 3-18 players to my team constantly

EDIT - ah just needed to git gud, 13K 4D was enough for a victory thankfully

http://cuddlebuggery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/its-so-beautiful-gif.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

+1 for Happy Endings...wait a minute that didn't come out right.

[quote="Will the Thrill, post: 209890278"]Oh gosh I completely forgot Arena doesn't have any vehicles outside of big team, that's something that also makes me sad :/ I'm just not into getting SUPER competitive in MP games, sure I like winning but I don't give a shit what my "Rank" is. Mix that in with the game just having an abysmal amount of modes compared to even 4. I can't put too much blame on this part I guess though since the engine was probably so overhauled for the One that bringing everything back wasn't going to be easy like from Reach to 4. Still, I don't get how 1 flag isn't some kind of custom game option. Hell, how come we can't make King of the Hill from Strongholds?[/QUOTE]

Arena is very much focused on the esports small arena symmetrical style maps, while the pro team and 343 delivered an insanely good sandbox that sort of mentality immediately rules out design and development around a core element of Halo objective; ranked or social. WZ is great and on paper fills that void for larger vehicle based non symmetrical maps but in reality the numbers involved and the chaotic nature completely removes the core 2-4 players team work or stealth or solo beast mode to cap/plant a win in classic asymmetrical light vehicle maps.

WZ with flags you steal only after securing a base would be very interesting, they could even cut down the size of maps for smaller numbers. I'm still a little skeptical why they implemented a BTB mode compared to a stripped back WZ mode for Arena/BTB during development phases. It would have crossed over nicely. I suppose forging in Arena would be a counter as you can't forge WZ. Which leads to the question of why we can't forge things like KOTH or 1-sided.

I assume the scripting isn't directly compatible with the new engine and too much work for a lacklustre result, that or they simply don't want competing modes for what they set out to achieve with H5.

The Flash

Banned
Finished replaying the campaign to get all the intel and skulls. Definitely better the second time around imo. Very excited for Halo 6 now.

Finished replaying the campaign to get all the intel and skulls. Definitely better the second time around imo. Very excited for Halo 6 now.

Right?!

I don't know what changed with that last update but me and my brother had a blast with the 2nd run campaign a week or so back, it didn't feel like such a grindy mess and the warden didn't give me a headache.

Plus campaign scoring makes you feel good.

I don't miss any of those maps. Though I do miss that type of map, loved Zanzibar and Stonetowm, Last Resort didn't play very well.. High Ground and Powerhouse were bad. Sanctuary was natural, but symmetric, which was nice, same goes for Battle Creek. If they do more arena maps, I'd be happy to see natural settings. Give them a Halo sky box to boot.

I really enjoyed playing custom games on High Ground but I always thought it was a but crap in normal multiplayer.

Taking a guess here, you're talking about slayer on those maps? Yes slayer was average on these maps.

1-flag/bomb on those were gold though.

The Flash

Banned
Right?!

I don't know what changed with that last update but me and my brother had a blast with the 2nd run campaign a week or so back, it didn't feel like such a grindy mess and the warden didn't give me a headache.

Well I'm approaching it from a "I was really not happy with there only being three Master Chief levels and everything else was with Mr. Oh-I'm-So-Dark-And-Edgy-And-Mysterious-Look-At-Me" perspective. It affected my first impressions of the campaign in a way that wasn't positive. But now that I have given some time and blah blah blah I'm able to appreciate the campaign more for what it is and not what I wanted it to be.

Madness

That Bregman post was solid. I wonder if we can get a Halo OT overall community thread again when Halo Wars 2 out. This thread definitely not what it was. Don't think mods even care about HaloGAF anymore.

Long story short: Kittens was a user on NeoGAF/HaloGAF who pissed of Evilore in Off-Topic, and Evilore erased him from the internet.

If I recall correctly, Kittens pointed something out that he disagreed with Evilore via Twitter and as a result Kittens was banned. I liked him. He was cool peeps.

If I recall correctly, Kittens pointed something out that he disagreed with Evilore via Twitter and as a result Kittens was banned. I liked him. He was cool peeps.

He wasn't just banned, all of his old posts were deleted. If you find his profile now, instead of "member" or "banned" it says "guest," lol.

Nowise10

Posts on this page saying Last Resort and Powerhouse are a bad maps and that Halo 5's campaign is good. Where am I and who are you people

Fuchsdh

Posts on this page saying Last Resort and Powerhouse are a bad maps and that Halo 5's campaign is good. Where am I and who are you people

The only way I see arguing Halo 5's campaign is bad is if you went into it with a pretty narrow view of what you thought the campaign was going to be about story-wise.

Nowise10

The only way I see arguing Halo 5's campaign is bad is if you went into it with a pretty narrow view of what you thought the campaign was going to be about story-wise.

Each Sangehelios missions are goooood. Good atmospheres, good gameplay, good design, good music. So good job to the team that made those ones. Everything else is BAAAAD.

Cutscenes | BAD (Actually any cutscene with Blue team was GOOD).
Mission Design | BAD
Gameplay | AVERAGE
Polish-ness | BAD
Co op Campaign | BAD
Characters | BAD
Music | GOOD
Story | BAD
Ending | BAD
Easter eggs | BAD

I'm the type of guy who plays through Halo campaigns like 25+ times over. Halo 5 I've played through like 5 or 6 times.

And I went into the story thinking it was what they were telling us it was going to be about.

I thought the game got Halo 4 kinda boring around the last 3rd or 4th when it feels like you go through pronethean stadium, followed by promethean stadium with wardens sprinkled everywhere

Fuchsdh

Each Sangehelios missions are goooood. Good atmospheres, good gameplay, good design, good music. So good job to the team that made those ones. Everything else is BAAAAD.

Cutscenes | BAD (Actually any cutscene with Blue team was GOOD).
Mission Design | BAD
Gameplay | AVERAGE
Polish-ness | BAD
Co op Campaign | BAD
Characters | BAD
Music | GOOD
Story | BAD
Ending | BAD
Easter eggs | BAD

I'm the type of guy who plays through Halo campaigns like 25+ times over. Halo 5 I've played through like 5 or 6 times.

And I went into the story thinking it was what they were telling us it was going to be about.

Why would you do that?

I don't get all the story-focused people actually all betrayed and "343 lied". They must have all had traumatic brain injury to forget all the shit from previous Halo commercials and marketing that never happened.

Halo 2—"wait we're leaving earth?"/"Wait we're playing as this alien?"
Halo 3—"The Ark isn't on Earth?"/"Chief gets captured by Brutes?"
Halo 4—"So Chief gets captured by the Didact at some point?"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you do that?

I don't get all the story-focused people actually all betrayed and "343 lied". They must have all had traumatic brain injury to forget all the shit from previous Halo commercials and marketing that never happened.

Fuchsdh

I should add, I completely understand being disappointed with where the plot went, and the actual mechanics involved (not so much with the "how can Cortana be evil?" bit, because good god we've been talking about that since Halo 1 came out and it's completely in keeping with the character.)

But the marketing for a Halo game has never been fully descriptive and explanatory. Mostly, it falls under "tone poem" pieces—"Starry Night" and "Remember Reach" mostly fall under this category—and then expositional pieces to invest you in the world, of which you have "Believe" and "Hunt the Truth". The idea that an outside marketing firm making a podcast would be setting up the entire plot of the game was laughable. And the fact that Locke hunting Chief was fairly quickly resolved is probably a matter of a) time constraints (thus the loss of the whole Infinity hub) and b) that was never their full intention anyhow (again, see Halo 2's quick move to Delta Halo.)

The Flash

Banned
I should add, I completely understand being disappointed with where the plot went, and the actual mechanics involved (not so much with the "how can Cortana be evil?" bit, because good god we've been talking about that since Halo 1 came out and it's completely in keeping with the character.)

But the marketing for a Halo game has never been fully descriptive and explanatory. Mostly, it falls under "tone poem" pieces—"Starry Night" and "Remember Reach" mostly fall under this category—and then expositional pieces to invest you in the world, of which you have "Believe" and "Hunt the Truth". The idea that an outside marketing firm making a podcast would be setting up the entire plot of the game was laughable. And the fact that Locke hunting Chief was fairly quickly resolved is probably a matter of a) time constraints (thus the loss of the whole Infinity hub) and b) that was never their full intention anyhow (again, see Halo 2's quick move to Delta Halo.)

Much better

Moa

Right?!

Have you played Warzone Firefight since then? After playing that, campaign seems like a cake walk.

Nowise10

Why would you do that?

Live action trailers for Halo games have always hinted at the atmosphere and direction for the games. Remembering Reach. Being welcomed to Noble Team. Didact holding Chief. Of course that doesn't mean Chief if actually get locked up by Mr. Didact, but it does show in Halo 4, Didact will be the major threat for the game. Now with Halo 5's trailers, of course I'm not expecting Chief to kill Locke in the game, or vice versa. I'm expecting the two with be "enemies" with conflicting motives. Why else would they show them?

Now Live Action trailers aside, focus on the GAME trailers. Which Halo 5 still misleads in. Every single Halo games launch and campaign trailer gave clear insight as to what the campaign and story focus on. Please please please just watch all three of these and write to me with a straight face they didn't straight up mislead people about the non existent story of Halo 5.

Halo: Reach Launch Trailer
Halo 4 Launch Trailer
Halo 5 Launch trailer

Halo:Reach shows cutscenes and gameplay of the campaign to show the Fall of Reach. It shows just enough cutscenes and gameplay that get people really interested in how the story plays out. Perfect!
Halo 4 shows cutscenes from the campaign and multiplayer. Zero misleading edits. Good!
Halo 5 right away gives out of order cut-scenes and edited dialog to portray a situation and story that doesn't even exist. Edited in a way that is completely misleading. Those EMP pulses aren't what caused the destruction of five colonies. Masterchief isn't rogue. Chief isn't flying a pelican when Infinity tells him to return immediately, which he denies because he "doesn't like it.". In the real game, Chief is telling Blue team he doesn't like Infinities plan for Cortana while on Argent Moon.

*WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE BEST GOES ROUGE* "117 stand down! This is your once chance to come home peacefully." (He doesn't go rouge in Halo 5.)
*THE HERO BECOMES THE HUNTED* (Masterchief is not hunted in Halo 5, nor was it ever even a key part in the story. It's one cutscene that their is a confrontation over a misunderstanding)
*EXPERIENCE THE BEGINNING OF THE GREATEST HUNT IN GAMING HISTORY* (Their is no hunt in Halo 5, maybe they should have saved that lined for Halo 6.)

Every time one of these subtitles pops up, the foreground is of Masterchiefs back, walking into darkness. We get Avenged Sevenfolds ♪♪No ones gonna take me aliveeeeeee♪♪ While it cuts back between Locke, then Chief, then Locke, then Chief. The entire plot hinted from Halo 5's live action trailers is directly implied and showed to be what Halo 5's campaign is about. It is not.

And if that doesn't please you here is my final piece of for my argument.
Locke - "My target is clear. My mission is justified. Bring down a verified traitor."
Chief - "I've made my choice. My path is clear."
Locke - "Our greatest threat, is believing in a hero."
Chief - "I believe in completing my mission, whatever the cost."
Locke - "I believe in protecting humanity."
Chief - "I believe great threats, require great sacrifice."
Locke - "I believe in taking down a traitor."

Fuchsdh

Your comments about "misleading" edits are nonsensical. The Halo 4 example you quoted pulls the Didact's speech from the epilogue and puts it contemporaneously with the first half of the campaign; taking dialogue and rearranging it and even combining it is not unique to games, movie trailers do this all the time. Hell, part of the point to an artful trailer is deliberately obscuring this stuff, otherwise you end up with the worst case scenario of trailers these days, where you know exactly what sequence everything is supposed to take place in and you watch it with a checklist in the back of your head.

The Halo Wars 2 trailer from E3 was pretty cool

Yes, yes it was. Looking back the Halo Wars announcement trailer was remarkably low-energy.

Nowise10

Your comments about "misleading" edits are nonsensical. The Halo 4 example you quoted pulls the Didact's speech from the epilogue and puts it contemporaneously with the first half of the campaign; taking dialogue and rearranging it and even combining it is not unique to games, movie trailers do this all the time. Hell, part of the point to an artful trailer is deliberately obscuring this stuff, otherwise you end up with the worst case scenario of trailers these days, where you know exactly what sequence everything is supposed to take place in and you watch it with a checklist in the back of your head.

Yes, yes it was. Looking back the Halo Wars announcement trailer was remarkably low-energy.

I honestly can't believe that is all you saw out of my entire post. That was a waste of time.

TCKaos

I honestly can't believe that is all you saw out of my entire post. That was a waste of time.

As someone with a modicum of experience in literary analysis, what Nowise is putting down that Fuchsdh doesn't seem to be picking up is that the Halo 2, 3, ODST, Reach and 4 trailers properly convey the Tone, Themes, and Motifs of the games that they represent while Alluding to the Plot via Foreshadowing, though they do not give away the plot, instead relying on Negative Capability to market the potential Conflict between the protagonists and their Nemesis. That is to say that all of the trailers for Halo 2/3/ODST/Reach/4 had some small amount of Verisimilitude to the plot of their respective games.

Halo 5's trailers and promotional material, on the other hand, choose to wholly make up a narrative that at no point in time appears in the game proper. Even thematically the Characterization of Chief and Locke as Foils never really occurs. From my Point of View, really the entire game itself from Prologue to Epilogue Circumlocates Locke's nonexistant Bildungsroman and Cortana's rise to power, ultimately leaving us with nothing from a narrative standpoint.

Or something like that, I guess.

Nowise10

Know your lore.

Muse. I'm actually sorry for that one.

As someone with a modicum of experience in literary analysis, what Nowise is putting down that Fuchsdh doesn't seem to be picking up is that the Halo 2, 3, ODST, Reach and 4 trailers properly convey the Tone, Themes, and Motifs of the games that they represent while Alluding to the Plot via Foreshadowing, though they do not give away the plot, instead relying on Negative Capability to market the potential Conflict between the protagonists and their Nemesis. That is to say that all of the trailers for Halo 2/3/ODST/Reach/4 had some small amount of Verisimilitude to the plot of their respective games.

Halo 5's trailers and promotional material, on the other hand, choose to wholly make up a narrative that at no point in time appears in the game proper. Even thematically the Characterization of Chief and Locke as Foils never really occurs. From my Point of View, really the entire game itself from Prologue to Epilogue Circumlocates Locke's nonexistant Bildungsroman and Cortana's rise to power, ultimately leaving us with nothing from a narrative standpoint.

Or something like that, I guess.
Shit man you're good! I think that is what my issues were and summarizes my post is a more elegant way.

To wrap up to Fuchsdh's reply, what I was trying to say was that Halo 4's isn't misleading. My entire point was about misleading editing or tactics. The Didact saying "We all Forerunners! Guardians of all that exist!" isn't driving some non existent narrative in the game. The games campaign is literally about the Forerunners and a Forerunner world. Specially when the shot shows a damn Promethean night.

Obscuring a story in a trailer so as to not spoil the experience is veeeeeeeerrry different from showing something that was not at all indicative of the experience.

And you ignored most if not all of the other points Nowise made.

remember how those promises of expansive vistas and extensive vehicle combat gave way to 343 Guilty Spark and The Library

remember how taking the fight to earth in reality took the fight to Halo: 2™ and you were the dude who immolated Reach for half the campaign

remember how halo 3's ad campaign was just a bunch of pasty old dudes in a museum waxing lyrical about how their friend's dad worked at nintendo and saw master chief knock out the ghost of muhammad ali with his bare hands

pepperidge farm remembers

Spoilers: literally none of the third acts in any of the Halo titles haven't been without their twists (outside of Halo 3, but that's kind of cheating considering it's just Halo 2's third act stretched out to last an entire game). Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I remember a fair amount of people complaining about Cortana hijacking the third act of Reach around launch, too.

Nowise10

pepperidge farm remembers

Spoilers: literally none of the third acts in any of the Halo titles haven't been without their twists (outside of Halo 3, but that's kind of cheating considering it's just Halo 2's third act stretched out to last an entire game). Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I remember a fair amount of people complaining about Cortana hijacking the third act of Reach around launch, too.

Those people are lame-o's because Cortana being The Package is only brought up in the last mission as the "twist" for the game. And the mission The Package is great because you get to see the beauty of a glassed planet in a location you had previous fought at before.

Well, now you know your father's disappointment.

what is wrong with you

But didn't the first few missions of H5 start with Locke chasing down Chief. He did hunt him down, they did battle. Sure it was weaker than the Hunt The Truth and trailers had us believe but it's not like zero content.

There's even a line early on where Locke talks to Buck about chasing down John that when replaying makes you realise he's chasing Chief to give him a chance and find out the truth for himself. Buck even says the line "you know they'll all hate us, right?". Isn't that hunting the truth and cutscenes around the marketing build up? It's not like 343 outright lied.

How about the comparison to H3's diorama where Chief lights a sticky when appearing to be dead in a Brute's hand? Can we really bitch this much about H5 marketing?

What about the bet ya can't stick it line from H2 marketing? Or the invasion of Earth advertising etc.

Shit even BvS had similar misleads, the trailer part where Batman dodges the red beam appears to be Supes, but it's Doomsday in the movie and not even an encounter of BvS at all.

Nowise10

But didn't the first few missions of H5 start with Locke chasing down Chief. He did hunt him down, they did battle. Sure it was weaker than the Hunt The Truth and trailers had us believe but it's not like zero content.

There's even a line early on where Locke talks to Buck about chasing down John that when replaying makes you realise he's chasing Chief to give him a chance and find out the truth for himself. Buck even says the line "you know they'll all hate us, right?". Isn't that hunting the truth and cutscenes around the marketing build up? It's not like 343 outright lied.

Their is the underlying purpose of Osiris needs to get to Cortana, which is the same place Blue team is at, but the missions Glassed and Unconfirmed are the only time in the game where they are trying to stop and take back Blue team, and it isn't even urgent, or its not made out to be Urgent. After that they try to get a Guardian to get to Cortana, and then you unlock Blue team and thats the game.

So I mean its all opinion if someone wants to claim they lied, or just heavily exaggerated the story. ( º ͜つ º )

Their is the underlying purpose of Osiris needs to get to Cortana, which is the same place Blue team is at, but only the missions Glassed and Unconfirmed are the only time in the game where they are trying to stop and take back Blue team, and it isn't even urgent, or its not made out to be Urgent. After that they try to get a Guardian to get to Cortana, and then you unlock Blue team and thats the game.

So I mean its all opinion if someone wants to claim they lied, or just heavily exaggerated the story ( º ͜つ º )

I can agree it was a let down considering how much it was pushed as a narrative but I still enjoyed the campaign. I would have preferred more Chief missions over the discourse of Hunt the Truth to be honest.

Top Bottom