• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Welfare

Community update is out

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/comic-con-preview

The multiplayer team has been keeping a close eye on Community Doubles feedback, and currently working on Doubles-ready dev maps as well. Over the course of the next two weeks, we’ll be working directly with community Forgers on improvements to the maps, and then holding a poll to determine which of the community-created maps will be included with the dev maps in the next iteration of Doubles. Stay tuned for more details and related info.

172.24.201-28e9d311721e43f293511a132e89c166.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Renegades fails to beat Liquid and now EG has a chance to grab that last spot for Pro League finals. But they gotta beat CLG. Last match of the night is going to be lit.

renegades nooooo. such a hard team to follow. i love these guys but i don't think they are geling

Glad to see Doubles sticking around, Super Fiesta getting a mention, and a Classic playlist on the way. Hoping for the Classic playlist sooner rather than later though.

Doubles dev maps?!
I noticed that too. But I think it means the current forge maps, but adjusted by 343.

Could this be proof that forge BTB maps DO indeed count towards the free content figures they gave?

Because the BTB maps were also created with forge, but tested in-house at 343.

This means there aren't any more maps we could reasonably expect except for the 1 missing WZ Assault map.

renegades nooooo. such a hard team to follow. i love these guys but i don't think they are geling

CLG 3-0'd EG so Renegades is going to the finals. The EG decline since Xgames is crazy. Wouldn't be surprised if they blow up the team for next season.

Now that Pro League is done, anybody want to play some Halo? Just hit me up on XBL. GT is boltsnrays1109

BizzyBum

CLG 3-0'd EG so Renegades is going to the finals. The EG decline since Xgames is crazy. Wouldn't be surprised if they blow up the team for next season.

After that disappointment, EG has to disband. No way they can keep the same team for next year. I would just keep Snip3down and cut the rest.

Trup1aya

Very disappointed about EG.

It really wasn't a decline so much as everyone else improved while they stayed stagnant.

They lost two games early in the season that were likely due to back to back player vacations. I'll give them that.

But the real pivotal moment was when they played nV in back to back weeks mid season. The first time the played them, EG ended up losing in a game 5, but the game 4 should have been where EG seeled the deal, they were seconds away from securing the game winning stronghold, but nV made a sneaky play to contest the hill at the last second. Had EG won that game, they'd be in the finals right now.

As the season went on, EG dropped games to teams that were seeing improvements. E6 beat CLG, nV took CLG to a game 5. ALG poached some players from the AM circuit and improved tremendously.

I just hope for next season they can fine some players who can spend more time practicing

Trup1aya

I can't stress enough how terrible soldiers are. So poorly designed...

And having an enemy that can spawn waves anywhere at any moment is just uninspired.

Thought you cleared this room? Well here's 10 more enemies, with homing projectiles, spawning right behind you. Enjoy.

Very disappointed about EG.

It really wasn't a decline so much as everyone else improved while they stayed stagnant.

They lost two games early in the season that were likely due to back to back player vacations. I'll give them that.

But the real pivotal moment was when they played nV in back to back weeks mid season. The first time the played them, EG ended up losing in a game 5, but the game 4 should have been where EG seeled the deal, they were seconds away from securing the game winning stronghold, but nV made a sneaky play to contest the hill at the last second. Had EG won that game, they'd be in the finals right now.

As the season went on, EG dropped games to teams that were seeing improvements. E6 beat CLG, nV took CLG to a game 5. ALG poached some players from the AM circuit and improved tremendously.

I just hope for next season they can fine some players who can spend more time practicing

I really hate Soldiers too. I think everyone does

Trup1aya

I really hate Soldiers too. I think everyone does

Oh yeah. I just hope that constant complaints encourage 343 to go back to the drawing board on how they are designed.

I perfectly understand wanting to differentiate from the covenant. And I have no idea how hard it is to create an entirely new faction, but prometheans have been a failure thus far, with soldiers being by far the worst offender.

It's only warzone where I don't like soldiers, they're fine in the campaign.

The issues are amplified in Warzone for sure. But they aren't fun to fight in campaign either. Where the covenant damage models and behaviors allow for varied strategies, with the solidiers it's always: widdle health, wait for opening, hope they don't teleport, headshot, repeat.

jem0208

I perfectly understand wanting to differentiat
The issues are amplified in Warzone for sure. But they aren't fun to fight in campaign either. Where the covenant damage models and behaviors allow for varied strategies, with the solidiers it's always: widdle health, wait for opening, hope they don't teleport, headshot, repeat.
Honestly I enjoy fighting them just as much as elites.

I disagree that the covenant allow for all that much more strategy than prometheans. Pretty much all of Halo's enemies are fairly one dimensional when it comes to defeating them. There's only really one way of dealing with each enemy.

Elites - throw shit at them till the shield pops then hopefully get a headshot before it regens.

Soldiers - throw shit at them till the armour pops then get a headshot.

Grunts - get a headshot, avoid suicide grunts.

Crawlers - get a headshot, watch the walls

Jackals - shoot their hand then their head in the stun animation

Etc...

The strategy comes from how the levels and encounters are designed and the equipment provided for you. I agree with the somewhat shitty hit reactions for the Prometheans but as far as mechanical gameplay and strategy goes the covenant don't offer all that much more.

Trup1aya

Honestly I enjoy fighting them just as much as elites.

I disagree that the covenant allow for all that much more strategy than prometheans. There's rarely much strategy required in Halo's campaigns at all.

strategy probably isn't the right word. tactics I should say.

But are you serious?

With the covenant you can play the same mission 10 times and employ different tactics every single time. And the enemies will as well... And you had to employ them to get through Heroic and Legendary. It was alway about being outnumbered and outgunned, and being crafty to bring the odds back into your favor.

Will you find a plasma weapon, and and noob combo the elites causing the low ranking enemies to scatter as you pick them off.

Are you low on ammo, so you instead sneak around and assassinate the leaders, or surprise! stick him with a plasma, instantly taking out your biggest threat and giving you the tools you need to kill the rest

Or will you take out the grunts and jackals first, relying on precision skill as you duck and dodge a barrage of Plasma grenades. Now frustrated and without cover fire, the elite pulls out his sword and charges right into your trap.

There are always a plethora of ways to approach the covenant, and all of the weapons in the games were effective when used correctly.

With Promethean enemies your options are severely limited in comparison. Widdle their health. Then hit the weak spot with a precision weapon. Rinse and repeat.

op_ivy

knights and soilders need some tweaks, such as better hit feedback, but are ok. crawlers are just fucking awful though. theres always a shit ton of them, they are fast, they rush forward, and the spew nonstop guided bullets. yes, like grunts, you can head shot them, but that doesnt mean they arent the most annoying halo 5 enemy by a large margin.

Trup1aya

knights and soilders need some tweaks, such as better hit feedback, but are ok. crawlers are just fucking awful though. theres always a shit ton of them, they are fast, they rush forward, and the spew nonstop guided bullets. yes, like grunts, you can head shot them, but that doesnt mean they arent the most annoying halo 5 enemy by a large margin.

Soldiers and crawlers have Similar flaws, except the crawlers have a weak spot that is ALWAYS EXPOSED. That's a mitigating factor.

Soldiers rush forward with Surpressors (guided bullets), teleport to your flank and use light rifles with the accuracy of aimbots. To expose their weakspot you have to do poorly indicated amount of damage first. And the most effective way to do this is by using unsatisfying weaponry. They are essentially crawlers on steroids.

Just giving them better feedback isn't the solution. They need to have interesting behavior and a battlefield hierarchy. They need to have an interest in self-preservation that the player can leverage into a tactical advantage. THAT's what has made enemy encounters so good in previous halo games, and it's totally nonexistent in Prometheans.

jem0208

strategy probably isn't the right word. tactics I should say.

But are you serious?

With the covenant you can play the same mission 10 times and employ different tactics every single time. And the enemies will as well... And you had to employ them to get through Heroic and Legendary. It was alway about being outnumbered and outgunned, and being crafty to bring the odds back into your favor.

Will you find a plasma weapon, and and noob combo the elites causing the low ranking enemies to scatter as you pick them off.

Are you low on ammo, so you instead sneak around and assassinate the leaders, or surprise! stick him with a plasma, instantly taking out your biggest threat and giving you the tools you need to kill the rest

Or will you take out the grunts and jackals first, relying on precision skill as you duck and dodge a barrage of Plasma grenades. Now frustrated and without cover fire, the elite pulls out his sword and charges right into your trap.

There are always a plethora of ways to approach the covenant, and all of the weapons in the games were effective when used correctly.

With Promethean enemies your options are severely limited in comparison. Widdle their health. Then hit the weak spot with a precision weapon. Rinse and repeat.
You could say literally the exact same thing about the Prometheans just by swapping the elites for soldiers, and plasma weapons for Promethean weapons and it's just as true. You could take almost any of the encounters in H5, swap the covenant with Prometheans and you'll have just as many options in how to approach and tackle the situation as before.

You can pick up a scattershot and blain a few soldiers before turning around and mopping up the crawlers.

You can sneak around and assassinate a knight or melt it instantly with a well thrown splinter grenade. Followed by picking up the dropped incineration cannon and destroying the rest.

You can take out the crawlers and watchers first, relying on precision shots as you duck and dodge splinter grenades and hard light bullets. Then bait the knight into charging right into your trap.

The variety in options and tactics are created through the level design, you're going to have just as many or few options with Prometheans as you are Covenant in any given situation.

op_ivy

Soldiers and crawlers have Similar flaws, except the crawlers have a weak spot that is ALWAYS EXPOSED. That's a mitigating factor.

Soldiers rush forward with Surpressors (guided bullets), teleport to your flank and use light rifles with the accuracy of aimbots. To expose their weakspot you have to do poorly indicated amount of damage first. And the most effective way to do this is by using unsatisfying weaponry. They are essentially crawlers on steroids.

Just giving them better feedback isn't the solution. They need to have interesting behavior and a battlefield hierarchy. They need to have an interest in self-preservation that the player can leverage into a tactical advantage. THAT's what has made enemy encounters so good in previous halo games, and it's totally nonexistent in Prometheans.

i agree with the bold but disagree that soldiers rush like crawlers. as i said with tweaks (you outlined good ones) i could be satisfied with the other prometheans, but the crawler type of enemy i just dont like.

Trup1aya

You can day literally the exact same thing about the Prometheans just by swapping the elites for soldiers, and plasma weapons for Promethean weapons and it's just as true. You could take almost any of the encounters in H5, swap the covenant with Prometheans and you'll have just as many options in how to approach and tackle the situation as before.

You can pick up a scattershot and blain a few soldiers before turning around and mopping up the crawlers.

You can sneak around and assassinate a knight or melt it instantly with a well thrown splinter grenade. Followed by picking up the dropped incineration cannon and destroying the rest.

You can take out the crawlers and watchers first, relying on precision shots as you duck and dodge splinter grenades and hard light bullets. Then bait the knight into charging right into your trap.

The variety in options and tactics are created through the level design, you're going to have just as many or few options with Prometheans as you are Covenant in any given situation.

How do you pop a soldiers shields? How do you duck and dodge hitscan LR shots and homing BS rounds? How do you trap a charging knight, which is impossible to 1HK unless you have a powerweapon?

It's not even close to having the same sort of tactical diversity. It always boils down to having enough ammo and enough patience. There is no room for creativity.

i agree with the bold but disagree that soldiers rush like crawlers. as i said with tweaks (you outlined good ones) i could be satisfied with the other prometheans, but the crawler type of enemy i just dont like.

Soldiers don't rush like soldiers, since they don't swarm, but with their tendacy to teleport to your flank using Surpressors, their rushing is equally if not more annoying IMO.

I wish that Lock On times would differ the closer you are to the target. When the enemy team is spawn camping you with banshees etc., you should be presented to a table when trying to take down a Banshee or a phaeton. Its frustrating that he can easily take you out even when he is directly in front of you.

It would help against Banshee Bomb loop combo. Well. kind of.

jem0208

How do you pop a soldiers shields? How do you duck and dodge hitscan LR shots and homing BS rounds? How do you trap a charging knight, which is impossible to 1HK unless you have a powerweapon?
There's not much difference between popping elite shields and destroying soldier's armour. Actually a benefit of the Promethean armour system is that they can't jump behind a rock and regen their shields like elites.

There are probably just as many hitscan carbines as light rifles. The homing rounds are still dodgeable and they don't have the fucking annoying supercombine ability where you can randomly explode, dying instantly without warning.

Why does it have to be 1HK? That makes it less interesting IMO, bait it into charging, splinter grenade it then thrust round for a couple of shots to its exposed back or a quick melee. Or shoot off a wing with a shotgun or some quick BR shots then take it out with a well aimed headshot during the scream animation. I think it's arguable that a knight actually has more unique ways of dealing with it than any other enemy due to the design of its weak spots.
It's not even close to having the same sort of tactical diversity. It always boils down to having enough ammo and enough patience. There is no room for creativity.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. In my experience Prometheans offer just as much creativity and variety as the Covenant. Although as I've said, it's the level design which allows for the vast majority of options.

My issue with Prometheans are the poor hit reactions.

op_ivy

Dang, the Halo 2 BR straight up feels a little too overpowered lol Ever since I unlocked this thing it's sooooo easy to just rip through people.

for some reason i dont like it in arena on the maps its located. i have a hard time aiming it compared to the h5 br. but i have been using it quite a bit in firefight and it seems better at taking down enemies there, so perhaps it is greatly superior and/or i've gotten more used to it. i'll give it a go for default warzone today.

for some reason i dont like it in arena on the maps its located. i have a hard time aiming it compared to the h5 br. but i have been using it quite a bit in firefight and it seems better at taking down enemies there, so perhaps it is greatly superior and/or i've gotten more used to it. i'll give it a go for default warzone today.

Oh really? Aiming is what I find easier with it tbh, feels like I don't even have to aim at someone fully to get hits on them, the bullet magnetism seems upped. In Arena it's harder to use for me cause you're not as far away as you can be in Warzone which is where it really dominates. Firefight is so so, still enjoy it over the H5 BR (It actually sounds like three bullets, H5 BR except back in the beta sounds like 2 shots to me for some reason)

Trup1aya

There's not much difference between popping elite shields and destroying soldier's armour. Actually a benefit of the Promethean armour system is that they can't jump behind a rock and regen their shields like elites.

There are probably just as many hitscan carbines as light rifles. The homing rounds are still dodgeable and they don't have the fucking annoying supercombine ability where you can randomly explode, dying instantly without warning.

Why does it have to be 1HK? That makes it less interesting IMO, bait it into charging, splinter grenade it then thrust round for a couple of shots to its exposed back or a quick melee. Or shoot off a wing with a shotgun or some quick BR shots then take it out with a well aimed headshot during the scream animation. I think it's arguable that a knight actually has more unique ways of dealing with it than any other enemy due to the design of its weak spots.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. In my experience Prometheans offer just as much creativity and variety as the Covenant. Although as I've said, it's the level design which allows for the vast majority of options.

My issue with Prometheans are the poor hit reactions.

There is plenty difference between the elite shield pop and the Promethean armor. The shield is like The Thing that separates Halo from other shooters.

You have a variety of options when deciding how to deal with shield. Against a basic shield, You can widdle it with ballistic fire, you can more quickly drain it with plasma fire. You can immediately nullify it with a well placed explosive. Or you can bypass it altogether with a sniper headshot, stuck plasma grenade, super combine, backsmack, or rocket. Most importantly you have a clear understanding of how close to death your opponent is.

Against covenant You start out in a situation against numerous opponents who are physically your equal and superior in number. But you have a plethora of options to instantly and/or systematically swing the odds in your favor. And all of these (human, and covenant) weapons are fun to use.

The majority of their Arsenal is projectile and relatively slow moving. Their hitscan weapons are almost always in the hands of enemies who have their weak spots permanently exposed.

The 1HK options (back smack, plasma stick, sniper shot), reward cunning maneuvers in an immediately gratifying way. It also a fun way to deal with a lack of ammo when in a tough spot.

Also, there's nothing random about the needlers super combine. It takes a specific number of needles, and you can see and here when you are getting close to that threshold.

Against the prometheans, especially soldiers, your options are extremely limited. There is no way to bypass their armor. It's widdle armor, then shoot in face. MAYBE you can assassinate them, but they could just teleport away randomly. It's bullshit.

The H5 Knights are better, but not by much.

Top Bottom