• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

From Reddit
tQED2Uy.gif

This looks awesome, replace Antifreeze with this please.

On that note, BTB that should stay:

Scavenger
Deadlock
Guillotine
Altar
Boulevard
Eagle Square
Viking

Maps that should go:

Antifreeze - Awful design, choke points, choke points everywhere.
Basin - Dated and sloppy forging, also redundant with Viking as a solid box canyon map
Recurve -Dated forging, sun glare, combat encounters not compelling.

Maps I'm impartial too:
Fracture - As I simply haven't played it enough.
Entombed - I actually really like Strongholds on this map, but that actual forging is sloppy and outdated.

I know maps like Viking have cross mapping problems with the BR, but hopefully 343i will switch over to pistol starts someday.

For both BTB and 4v4, there needs to be a better effort in quality control. There are simply too many well crafted maps for the likes of Antifreeze and Pegasus to exist in MM. While we're getting some classic maps in dedicated playlists, the core modes need their forge support revamped. This is especially important now that we're exiting the monthly update cycle.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah you can climb up there. Pretty neat to do ground pounds from.

yeah, i'm aware of the ledge and jumping to the horizontal window, but from that angle whatever it was i was throwing nades at looked like a small vertical gap. i've never noticed it before, must have just been a reflection with that angle playing tricks with my mind.

yeah, i'm aware of the ledge and jumping to the horizontal window, but from that angle whatever it was i was throwing nades at looked like a small vertical gap. i've never noticed it before, must have just been a reflection with that angle playing tricks with my mind.

Oooh. Yeah its interesting. Like the little Windows into mid on Tyrant.

This looks awesome, replace Antifreeze with this please.

On that note, BTB that should stay:

Scavenger
Deadlock
Guillotine
Altar
Boulevard
Eagle Square
Viking

Maps that should go:

Antifreeze - Awful design, choke points, choke points everywhere.
Basin - Dated and sloppy forging, also redundant with Viking as a solid box canyon map
Recurve -Dated forging, sun glare, combat encounters not compelling.

Maps I'm impartial too:
Fracture - As I simply haven't played it enough.
Entombed - I actually really like Strongholds on this map, but that actual forging is sloppy and outdated.

I know maps like Viking have cross mapping problems with the BR, but hopefully 343i will switch over to pistol starts someday.

For both BTB and 4v4, there needs to be a better effort in quality control. There are simply too many well crafted maps for the likes of Antifreeze and Pegasus to exist in MM. While we're getting some classic maps in dedicated playlists, the core modes need their forge support revamped. This is especially important now that we're exiting the monthly update cycle.

Anti-Freeze has actually grown on me over time as the number of maps in the BTB rotation has increased. I disliked it when it felt like I was playing every other match on it, but since it's come up less regularly, it feels different enough from the other BTB maps to provide a bit of variety as far as 'feel'.

Recurve is trash.

Basin doesn't look great anymore, but I still enjoy it. Had a ton of great engagements on that map, with a healthy mix of both vehicles and infantry going back and forth at each other.

Akai__

Why do people grief in trivial gamemodes like BTB? What a surprise that the person has already a "Reputation: Needs Work" rating.

Akai__

Just played Basketball in Custom Games. :O

It's actually pretty cool to be able to relax for a little and play some fun games. I actually miss the Halo 3 Custom Game nights with my friends. Playing Halo on Halo, Duckhunt, Jenga, Trash Compactor, Whirlwind and other Fun Games was so good.

The Tower/base look like when a video game is still in pre-alpha and the textures aren't finished so everything is white. Is their not a way in Forge to make those pieces it darker/better looking?

Nilla wanted the white. Personal choice..

Ill be on in 30 minutes if anyone wants to play with a scrub

Leyasu

Banned
Probably not a popular opinion but I wish they would have remade a few BTB maps from Halo 4.... I hated the rest of that game but had a lot of fun playing BTB.

Not at all unpopular
as far as I am concerned
. Halo 4 had some great BTB maps. Some of the best in series imo. I would love to have them remade for 5.

343 have other priorities though

jem0208

The problem with the arena maps is they all basically look the same

Like they all share 80% of assets (like the buildings)

Halo 3 was the GOAT

67iuU2O.jpg
I honestly never really got the love for H3's maps.

At launch the only decent to good arena style maps were Narrows, Guardian and the Pit. The rest were BTB maps or just bad.

Art style wise they were decent though I guess.
Colloseium
Truth
Tyrant
Fathom
Molten
Regret
Plaza
The Rig
Fathom remix (im drawing a blank)
Torque remix (im drawing a blank)
Torque
Ovegrowth

Thats my rank on the arena maps.
What? Stasis (Torque remix) is really, really good.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I never played Firefight in ODST or played Horde mode in GoW. I'm not really a fan of PvE.

But I love Warzone Firefight. Love it. But holy shit does it further reinforce the fact that the Prometheians suck and are not fun to fight. Just give me waves of Covenant instead even if that means the game is harder. It'd be harder but at least more fun.

I didn't really mind them in the single player even though I disliked them.

But the constant teleportation with a one shot weapon that takes out my Level 7 Mantis right after I used the Req? Fuck that.

The Prometheians can be fun potentially in Halo 6 but I think step 1 to #MakePrometheiansFunToFight would be get rid of teleportation or at least minimize it almost completely.

Colloseium
Truth
Tyrant
Fathom
Molten
Regret
Plaza
The Rig
Fathom remix (im drawing a blank)
Torque remix (im drawing a blank)
Torque
Ovegrowth

Thats my rank on the arena maps.

Switch Molten with Stasis and I agree.

Just played Basketball in Custom Games. :O

It's actually pretty cool to be able to relax for a little and play some fun games. I actually miss the Halo 3 Custom Game nights with my friends. Playing Halo on Halo, Duckhunt, Jenga, Trash Compactor, Whirlwind and other Fun Games was so good.

SOOOO much fun, try ultimate frisbee too. Things that anger me: 1. no auto pickup like H2A, people i play with have a awful time trying to catch the bomb, 2. obj doesnt show up on your radar, so if your running backwards facing the so called QB you could run in the direction that the ball is relative to you (sucks for griffball aswell)

I wonder if this can be replicated.
I honestly never really got the love for H3's maps.

At launch the only decent to good arena style maps were Narrows, Guardian and the Pit. The rest were BTB maps or just bad.

Art style wise they were decent though I guess.
The thing about Halo 3 was that the gameplay wasn't great, so it made some of those maps worse. If you take H5's weapons for a map like Epitaph or Isolation , those maps would play fine. But due to the longer kill times, inconsistency, lack of ranged combat and sluggish movement of Halo 3, some of those maps were terrible to play on, especially if you weren't host. And we also had to deal with H3 AR/Pistol starts for too long.

jem0208

I wonder if this can be replicated.

The thing about Halo 3 was that the gameplay wasn't great, so it made some of those maps worse. If you take H5's weapons for a map like Epitaph or Isolation , those maps would play fine. But due to the longer kill times, inconsistency, lack of ranged combat and sluggish movement of Halo 3, some of those maps were terrible to play on, especially if you weren't host. And we also had to deal with H3 AR/Pistol starts for too long.
Ehh, with some major tweaks Epitaph could maybe work.

Isolation is just awful though, top mid is the only power position and has strong lines of site to every approach, bottom is just a complete mess, the bases are useless. Isolation is irredeemable.

Ehh, with some major tweaks Epitaph could maybe work.

Isolation is just awful though, top mid is the only power position and has strong lines of site to every approach, bottom is just a complete mess, the bases are useless. Isolation is irredeemable.
I don't necessarily believe in bad maps as much, just more so lending it to poor gameplay. Look at a map like Chiron in CE; it's still fun because CE's gameplay works for it. Imagine Halo 3's AR/Pistol starts and longer kill times for a map with so many teleporters? It's also why H3 maps with shield doors played better without them, like Epitaph (Epilogue) and Snowbound (Boundless).

Halo 3 has a lot of maps that could work with better mid ranged combat as well. Spawning with the AR/Pistol against BR's was terrible in Halo 3, especially if the other team had host. Isolation was particularly bad for this due to its design.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why do people grief in trivial gamemodes like BTB? What a surprise that the person has already a "Reputation: Needs Work" rating.

i've noticed griefing is becoming rampant in firefight. not really a huge deal, but i'm constantly getting spartan charged or ground pounded away from REQ stations mid-REQ shopping between rounds. pretty annoying.

Was getting matched with Aussie friends searching in Assault, party up and go on a mini win streak then get matched with some Aussie H2 friends who are far better than us on the other team for 2 games and got absolutely wrecked.

Assault is fun but man do I crave some mid sized maps and stealth of the old bomb games. The smaller maps really enable an out slay approach, which is a valid team strategy but not the sort of competitive fun I want all the time in OBJ.

Also I had a weird crash, dedis problem red screen and the game locked up in this screen so I had to restart H5 to party up again.

Screenshot-Original.png

First time I've had that one but my friends went into the game just fine.

Karl2177

I don't necessarily believe in bad maps as much, just more so lending it to poor gameplay. Look at a map like Chiron in CE; it's still fun because CE's gameplay works for it. Imagine Halo 3's AR/Pistol starts and longer kill times for a map with so many teleporters? It's also why H3 maps with shield doors played better without them, like Epitaph (Epilogue) and Snowbound (Boundless).

Halo 3 has a lot of maps that could work with better mid ranged combat as well. Spawning with the AR/Pistol against BR's was terrible in Halo 3, especially if the other team had host. Isolation was particularly bad for this due to its design.
"Chiron...fun"

The arbitrator deems you 'Unfunknown'.

Fuchsdh

CE to me has hands-down the worst maps in the series. As much as I like them and have fond memories of them, the multiplayer was a rush job and the maps really feel like it. Corridors and teleports and campable spots galore, combined with a spawning system that was incredibly easy to abuse. CEA really highlighted that (and despite the gratuitous power weapon additions all of Certain Affinity's remakes were much better than the original Bungie maps.) With some love and the fact that people aren't spawning with 3SK weapons with basically unlimited ammo these days you can make them play a lot better.

But there's no saving Chiron.

jem0208

CE to me has hands-down the worst maps in the series. As much as I like them and have fond memories of them, the multiplayer was a rush job and the maps really feel like it. Corridors and teleports and campable spots galore, combined with a spawning system that was incredibly easy to abuse. CEA really highlighted that (and despite the gratuitous power weapon additions all of Certain Affinity's remakes were much better than the original Bungie maps.) With some love and the fact that people aren't spawning with 3SK weapons with basically unlimited ammo these days you can make them play a lot better.

But there's no saving Chiron.
If you said that on the Beyond forums you'd probably get lynched. They like their CE over there.

Hoping I can play some this week. Since I've moved I'm waiting for an Internet person to instal it. Playing nothing but single player games killing time, luckily most fps so hopefully I won't be as rusty as I fear.
at worst I could be as bad as G0SU

Also a little part in me wished while I was gone they secretly put out oddball and richocet. Those, extraction and btb is what made halo 4 in my eyes.
Dlc maps in halo 4 were also really well done and aside from a couple of bad eggs they were all pretty amazing. Just a shame those don't get any credit cause doubt many people bought the season pass or continued to play it after the first map pack released.
would replace overgrowth with monolith any day of the week. That and skyline would be nice.

Hoping I can play some this week. Since I've moved I'm waiting for an Internet person to instal it. Playing nothing but single player games killing time, luckily most fps so hopefully I won't be as rusty as I fear.
at worst I could be as bad as G0SU

Also a little part in me wished while I was gone they secretly put out oddball and richocet. Those, extraction and btb is what made halo 4 in my eyes.
Dlc maps in halo 4 were also really well done and aside from a couple of bad eggs they were all pretty amazing. Just a shame those don't get any credit cause doubt many people bought the season pass or continued to play it after the first map pack released.
would replace overgrowth with monolith any day of the week. That and skyline would be nice.

Skyline feels a bit too busy for me but yeah Monolith is great. Hell I want a Haven remake now.

From Xbox on Twitter:

ZVmVXkP.png

"When I grow up, I want to be kidnapped by the governing force that protects us all so I can fight militant insurgents who they consider threatening enough to follow the schemes of an unhinged scientist who values scientific pursuits over the healthy development of a child. Also, I have an Xbox in 2516."

Having a very irritating problem: my connection with the REQ service is non-existent, and has been for a few days. I have had the same patchiness everyone does over time, but that usually fixes itself after a game. With this, sometimes I can open and buy packs, but cannot access them in game at all.

On top of that, I cannot access custom maps/gametypes at will: sometimes they load, other times it's 'retrieving data' indefinitely. Never had that before.

I recently had a beta dashboard update, and I suspect the two are related, but wanted to see if anyone else has had issues.

IHaveIce

Banned
"When I grow up, I want to be kidnapped by the governing force that protects us all so I can fight militant insurgents who they consider threatening enough to follow the schemes of an unhinged scientist who values scientific pursuits over the healthy development of a child. Also, I have an Xbox in 2516."
Fuck off Karen Travis

TeamHalsey for life.

FyreWulff

Speaking of Epitaph, did Bungie ever comment on why they fell in love with shield doors in 3?

There was never any direct "this is why", but from a design perspective, I would think the desire was to have areas in certain maps where you could visually see people down a corridor, etc, but not damage/shoot them, which allowed them to make some maps like Snowbound have smaller bases that would usually be a deathtrap if people could just throw grenades and gunfire into them 24/7.

It was mostly a neat idea, but certain doors didn't work out as well as intended, which is why Snowbound still kept the inner shield doors to still make the bases liveable and Epitaph felt mostly like "here's a shieldless version to forge".

Since the DLC maps were made after they realized how far people would take Forge, that's when we saw shield doors become Forge objects.

What, I'm the weirdest thing you've seen all day? *laugh track*

Top Bottom