• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is the consensus in the Halo community that Molten is "bad"?

Haven't gotten Molten yet and have been too busy to check HaloGAF very often

i REALLY like it. i mean, i've only played a handful of games on it, but it feels great to me. certainly much better than overgrowth, which after a single game, you could tell was bad. then again, i like the rig, so theres that...

Is the consensus in the Halo community that Molten is "bad"?

Haven't gotten Molten yet and have been too busy to check HaloGAF very often

It's not too bad. However, it can get really passive and campy at times. Overgrowth is easily the worst in the rotation atm though.

jem0208

There is plenty difference between the elite shield pop and the Promethean armor. The shield is like The Thing that separates Halo from other shooters.

You have a variety of options when deciding how to deal with shield. Against a basic shield, You can widdle it with ballistic fire, you can more quickly drain it with plasma fire. You can immediately nullify it with a well placed explosive. Or you can bypass it altogether with a sniper headshot, stuck plasma grenade, super combine, backsmack, or rocket. Most importantly you have a clear understanding of how close to death your opponent is.

Almost every thing you mentioned there applies to Prometheans as well; You can instantly kill soldiers with a snipe, you can quickly destroy armour with hard light weapons, you can immediately destroy it with explosives. You can bypass it with sniper headshots, stuck plasmas, well placed splinters, backsmacks and rockets. Also whilst the hit reactions aren't great it's extremely obvious when they're one shot and close to death and as I said before the fact that armour permanently gone when you pop it is a good thing.

Against covenant You start out in a situation against numerous opponents who are physically your equal and superior in number. But you have a plethora of options to instantly and/or systematically swing the odds in your favor. And all of these (human, and covenant) weapons are fun to use.

Again, you can say the exact same thing about Prometheans.

The majority of their Arsenal is projectile and relatively slow moving. Their hitscan weapons are almost always in the hands of enemies who have their weak spots permanently exposed.

Elites regularly hold carbines and a lot of the light rifles are in the hands of the 1 hit kill soldiers.

The 1HK options (back smack, plasma stick, sniper shot), reward cunning maneuvers in an immediately gratifying way. It also a fun way to deal with a lack of ammo when in a tough spot.

Alright, replace what I originally said with a soldier. Knights aren't a direct analogue with Elites.

Also, there's nothing random about the needlers super combine. It takes a specific number of needles, and you can see and here when you are getting close to that threshold.

It's random in the sense that you have very little indication of when you're going to die. You could be at half shields and get hit a few times in the back and explode without warning.

Against the prometheans, especially soldiers, your options are extremely limited. There is no way to bypass their armor. It's widdle armor, then shoot in face. MAYBE you can assassinate them, but they could just teleport away randomly. It's bullshit.

The H5 Knights are better, but not by much.

The bolded is just straight up false. I literally 2 minutes ago just instantly killed a soldier with a snipe, and a stuck plasma, and a well placed splinter, and a rocket.

So what Arena maps in this game are considered significant or memorable? I never hear any praise for the Arena maps or their remixes.

The Arena maps in Halo 5 range from mediocre to poor IMO. It's probably the weakest element of design in the game. I appreciate the verticality in many of them, and the movement options through them, but the actual flow of combat feels more in line with the cramped, staccato battles of a COD than the back and forth, flowing, tactical battles of Halo games past.

I'd argue NONE of these maps will stand the test of time the way that maps in Halo:CE, Halo 2 or Halo 3 did. Hell, even Reach had a few standouts via DLC, and Halo 4 had that one cool symetrical map (the name escapes me at the moment... Haven?).

Coliseum and Fathom are probably the closest the game has to legitimately GREAT maps.

EDIT: Truth is also great, but it's a remake, the bulk of the foundational design work was done for 343i by Bungie in Halo 2.

Honestly, I feel like Halo 5 feels the most like Halo of old in some of the community BTB maps. But that might just be me.

jem0208

The Arena maps in Halo 5 range from mediocre to poor IMO. It's probably the weakest element of design in the game. I appreciate the verticality in many of them, and the movement options through them, but the actual flow of combat feels more in line with the cramped, staccato battles of a COD than the back and forth, flowing, tactical battles of Halo games past.

I disagree with this statement completely. I don't think there are any stand out classics but there are a number of very solid maps.

I'd say; Great maps:

Eden
Colliseum
Fathom
Truth
Plaza
Rig Strongholds

Decent maps:

Tyrant
Stasis (could also be in great honestly...)
Empire
Rig Slayer
Regret

Meh to bad maps:

Torque
Riptide
Overgrowth

On another note, we need party restrictions like 6 months ago. Getting bodied by a team of 4 fucking sucks.

op_ivy

I disagree with this statement completely. I don't think there are any stand out classics but there are a number of very solid maps.

I'd say; Great maps:

Eden
Colliseum
Fathom
Truth
Plaza
Rig Strongholds

Decent maps:

Tyrant
Stasis
Empire
Rig Slayer
Regret

Meh to bad maps:

Torque
Riptide
Overgrowth

On another note, we need party restrictions like 6 months ago. Getting bodied by a team of 4 fucking sucks.

where is molten?

jem0208

where is molten?

I haven't actually played it yet, been playing too much Firefight to bother with arena. Just went into the Slayer playlist to have a few games and try it but I got matched with a team of 4 and got steaked so I'm played some Red Dead.

Coliseum, Fathom, and Stasis feel the most like classic halo maps imo

And truth but that'd obvious

I actually really enjoy Stasis as well...

The problem with the arena maps is they all basically look the same

Like they all share 80% of assets (like the buildings)

Halo 3 was the GOAT

67iuU2O.jpg

Colloseium
Truth
Tyrant
Fathom
Molten
Regret
Plaza
The Rig
Fathom remix (im drawing a blank)
Torque remix (im drawing a blank)
Torque
Ovegrowth

Thats my rank on the arena maps.

Cranster

Banned

Halo 3 was the GOAT

67iuU2O.jpg
Nah, I sill think Halo 2's maps were overall more superior. The only issue was the weapon and vehicle balancing that Halo 3 sort of fixed.

op_ivy

Halo 3 was the GOAT

67iuU2O.jpg

gemini? ewwww

the rig and regret are both some of my favorite halo 5 maps.

belushy

Banned
Probably not a popular opinion but I wish they would have remade a few BTB maps from Halo 4.... I hated the rest of that game but had a lot of fun playing BTB.

I feel that most Halo 5 maps are designed with one sort of game type in mind, which would either be Slayer, Strongholds, or CTF (since those were the three initial game types). I have a lot of fun with the maps when they are paired with their proper game type. For example:

Slayer:
• Overgrowth*
• Riptide*
• Molten* (have only been able to find it in the Slayer playlist)
• Regret*

CTF:
• Truth
• Coliseum
• Tyrant
• Torque
• Stasis*
• Fathom

Strongholds:
• The Rig
• Plaza
• Eden*
• Empire (can work very well with CTF, too)

Now of course some of the more objective oriented maps, like Plaza, mix well with Slayer, but they're at their best with their intended game type.

One thing that bothers me is map shape variety, they seem to be all around the same size and are only fitted to square or rectangle pallets. There are no interesting, uniquely shaped maps like Ascension or Guardian. Sure, there may be asymmetrically built maps like The Rig, but it fits very nicely on a square pallet. All of 5's maps seem very oriented for professional play, as well as the game types that launched with the game. This has always been my biggest gripe with multiplayer since day one, I don't want to always have to turn to Warzone for more social play. And speaking of Warzone, I think treating it as the new big team/social playlist has hurt the map design a lot. Now since large maps are reserved for Warzone, there is no longer a need to design any map to accommodate more than eight players at a time, which leads to maps like Zanzibar or High Grounds to have no place in Arena. Sad to see proper BTB and the variety of sized maps that came with it die because of Warzone.

op_ivy

speaking of maps, is it just me or is sanctum a really bad warzone map?

I haven't played it that much, but Temple seems too powerful. Putting bosses directly above the power position? C'mon!

Seems bizarre that the center base in most WZ maps, which would already be the best base on a 2D plane, is more often than not on higher ground.

Welfare

I find that most of the map goes untouched in Warzone. Feels like it was made with Firefight in mind more than Warzone.

Also Temple is too powerful. The top part is just for holding the occasional boss. There should be ground pound-able floors up there for easier access into Temple.

I haven't played it that much, but Temple seems too powerful. Putting bosses directly above the power position? C'mon!

Seems bizarre that the center base in most WZ maps, which would already be the best base on a 2D plane, is more often than not on higher ground.
Go for the monu...errr...temple!

Nowise10

Am I the only one who cant stand the .3 second delay when meleeing in the air in Halo 5? Legit shakes me to the core everytime by how much is annoys me. Makes trying to ninja people feel really weird.

Am I the only one who cant stand the .3 second delay when meleeing in the air in Halo 5? Legit shakes me to the core everytime by how much is annoys me. Makes trying to ninja people feel really weird.

You can mitigate it somewhat by either

a) going classic pre-patch Halo 2 and hitting the melee and jump buttons at the same time,
b) making sure you're aiming as high as possible so as to avoid a lower aim axis immediately throwing you into groundpound, or
c) learning to let off the bumper as fast as humanly possible

Probably not a popular opinion but I wish they would have remade a few BTB maps from Halo 4.... I hated the rest of that game but had a lot of fun playing BTB.
Harvest was a great map. BTB Halo 4 was pretty fun, and I would like to see a Warzone Dominion gametype in the next game.

Harvest was a great map. BTB Halo 4 was pretty fun, and I would like to see a Warzone Dominion gametype in the next game.

Aside from Exile
(ONE TEAM GETS THE WARTHOG AND THE TANK WHY)
, the Halo 4 BTB maps were excellent. Harvest is probably my favorite Halo 4 map, in essence it is a BTB but it could also be played with less people which is definitely an indicator of good map design... for me at least.

op_ivy

Aside from Exile
, the Halo 4 BTB maps were excellent. Harvest is probably my favorite Halo 4 map, in essence it is a BTB but it could also be played with less people which is definitely an indicator of good map design... for me at least.

man, i loved exile. the battles over the caves were really fun.

klaus

Fuck firefight, fuck that so-called hotfix. Played 18 games in the last 24 hours and lost all but one. And I was in the top 3 for pretty much every single game that was not a jip.

Fuck Urban, have not won a single game on it yet.
Fuck March on Stormbreak for the very same reason.
Fuck the shitty matchmaking when you are not in a full group.
Fuck spawning an enemy Mantis in the upper base on Sanctum.
Fuck putting a shitton of obstacles on Urban, making tanks useless.
Fuck the super low ammo count on power weapons, making them useless. (honestly, you can't fucking pick them up again when you die anyways, so what the fuck?)
Fuck spawning the most egregious bullet sponges since a long time in the back of bases.

Now I feel better, thank you.

Still love the game, but damn fix that shit please, dear 343i ;)

Fuchsdh

Aside from Exile

Harvest would probably play much better in Halo 5, because you wouldn't have DMR-equipped load out guys pinging you from far hills in Infinity settings, and would probably just keep to the main part of the map.

Top Bottom