• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

so uh

it's not anything more than a static mesh of a bush wrapped in tinsel and sound effects, but, i mean, uh

gravity gauntlet is actually a thing now

that is all

#onlygafkidsremember

It's pointless to ask for BTB pistol starts when the bulk of Halowaypoint forum posts and Twitch stream chatter is demanding BR starts in Arena.

At best, we're staying status quo. Which is fine.
While I'm not surprised because I've seen it before, is it really that common? I haven't ventured into Waypoint for a while, and I personally haven't seen it on Twitch.

TCKaos

The whole BR/Pistol thing is baffling but understandable from an outside perspective. We spent the last four games screaming about this shit and then they finally give us a pistol worth using, which immediately stops the problems, but then with lowered magnetism and aim assist you have BKs screaming about how we need BR starts because the magnum isn't good enough and the AR is too powerful.

So I could imagine somebody in a business suit at a long table at a teleconference just shrugging and asking "What the fuck is going on?"

The whole BR/Pistol thing is baffling but understandable from an outside perspective. We spent the last four games screaming about this shit and then they finally give us a pistol worth using, which immediately stops the problems, but then with lowered magnetism and aim assist you have BKs screaming about how we need BR starts because the magnum isn't good enough and the AR is too powerful.

So I could imagine somebody in a business suit at a long table at a teleconference just shrugging and asking "What the fuck is going on?"
I do dislike how powerful the AR is.

Also since it's been a while,.. fuck ADS.

Akai__

Feel like 343i is trolling me...

1st Team Arena match of the day: Strongholds Plaza against Danoxide and Who is King Nick. Gonna stop playing Arena Matchmaking again. This shit is unbelievable.

LOicMJA.gif

So I've posted my map to the Arena submission thread over on Waypoint- fingers crossed! Had to redo my trailer as there were some pretty big lighting/geometry changes leading up to general release, so I've linked it below.

Fever Pitch

Having an MCC-esque session on H5 here. Game seems like a ghost town. Taking an age to find games in BTB, Warzone assault on 'balanced' search parameter. Can't find a game in FFA at all. Games I have found have been against people better than me in coordinated teams. Finally got JIP'd into a strongholds guillotine game after moving to 'expanded' search. My team was 14-130 down and the first thing I hear is a guy on my team say how our team sucks. Game then froze in the post game lobby.

Such a shame that the policy of matching teams against randoms has seemingly cost this game its population. I don't care about Brav posts on Reddit with no figures. If I can't find games on a weekend afternoon there's something wrong. Social assault playlist was great, I was playing randoms in that and unsurprisingly, the game was a joy.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Having an MCC-esque session on H5 here. Game seems like a ghost town. Taking an age to find games in BTB, Warzone assault on 'balanced' search parameter. Can't find a game in FFA at all. Games I have found have been against people better than me in coordinated teams. Finally got JIP'd into a strongholds guillotine game after moving to 'expanded' search. My team was 14-130 down and the first thing I hear is a guy on my team say how our team sucks. Game then froze in the post game lobby.

Such a shame that the policy of matching teams against randoms has seemingly cost this game its population. I don't care about Brav posts on Reddit with no figures. If I can't find games on a weekend afternoon there's something wrong. Social assault playlist was great, I was playing randoms in that and unsurprisingly, the game was a joy.

Where are you? I'm UK and slayer games at least match reasonably well

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Feel like 343i is trolling me...

1st Team Arena match of the day: Strongholds Plaza against Danoxide and Who is King Nick. Gonna stop playing Arena Matchmaking again. This shit is unbelievable.

LOicMJA.gif

did dan body disrespect you?

honestly, i wish i was good enough for the game to match me against pros and semi-pros to get shit on. i mean, thats pretty cool. the closest i get is matching with platinums with MLG in their gamertags.

Akai__

I love Frankie

But I still want that explanation over MCC.

For curiosity if anything else.

I believe Frankie, of all people, would love to talk about it, but he was probably told to not do it.

No matter what they say, though... I won't believe the cop-out statement that they didn't knew. It's not like they had to restart the build at every tournament or convention they attended for example. You have 100 maps and maybe like 20 gametypes and nobody checked if MP was actually working? Sure...

This guy is a fucking joke, I can't watch anything Halo Wars 2 related media because of this.

Blur alone is doing amazing work, though.

honestly, i wish i was good enough for the game to match me against pros and semi-pros to get shit on. i mean, thats pretty cool. the closest i get is matching with platinums with MLG in their gamertags.

What do you mean by the bolded? Danoxide teabag'ing me? Don't think he did, but he streamed the match earlier this morning, so maybe check it out. Timestamp.

Anyways... If you are Platinum and you have to play against Onyx all the time aren't you frustrated aswell or feel treated unfair? Because that's literally my problem right now. These Pros are not a "Oh hey, you are pretty high in Silver, let's start to give you Gold enemies" challenge. These Pro's are at least like 4 ranks above you. You don't stand a chance and even 1 Pro makes a significant difference. I've played against so many EU Pro's and a coupple US Pro's and not once did I actually ever had a chance to win the game. 99% of the time, it's an easy Steak, 3-0 in CTF or a 100-0 Strongholds win for them. There is a large Skill Gap between Onyx and Champion. Heck, there's even a large Skill Gap in the Champions Division. This is really not comparable to any other Divisions and I don't see how it is cool or why I should feel honored to play against them.

Just to be clear. I don't have anything against Pro's and I respect them. It's this dumb matchmaking lately, that makes me want to stop playing anything Arena related again.

op_ivy

I believe Frankie, of all people, would love to talk about it, but he was probably told to not do it.

No matter what they say, though... I won't believe the cop-out statement that they didn't knew. It's not like they had to restart the build at every tournament or convention they attended for example. You have 100 maps and maybe like 20 gametypes and nobody checked if MP was actually working? Sure...

Blur alone is doing amazing work, though.

What do you mean by the bolded? Danoxide teabag'ing me? Don't think he did, but he streamed the match earlier this morning, so maybe check it out. Timestamp.

yeah, bit of a HCS joke. thats what stongside calls tea bagging and body shooting and danoxide seems to like doing it.

Anyways... If you are Platinum and you have to play against Onyx all the time aren't you frustrated aswell or feel treated unfair? Because that's literally my problem right now. These Pros are not a "Oh hey, you are pretty high in Silver, let's start to give you Gold enemies" challenge. These Pro's are at least like 4 ranks above you. You don't stand a chance and even 1 Pro makes a significant difference. I've played against so many EU Pro's and a coupple US Pro's and not once did I actually ever had a chance to win the game. 99% of the time, it's an easy Steak, 3-0 in CTF or a 100-0 Strongholds win for them. There is a large Skill Gap between Onyx and Champion. Heck, there's even a large Skill Gap in the Champions Division. This is really not comparable to any other Divisions and I don't see how it is cool or why I should feel honored to play against them.

Just to be clear. I don't have anything against Pro's and I respect them. It's this dumb matchmaking lately, that makes me want to stop playing anything Arena related again.

oh, no doubt its frustrating matching teams that are clearly better then you (i'm diamond btw), but i'd honestly get a kick out of pros dumping on me.

I got placed into Platinum despite being in Onyx the last season I played. I was still playing Onyx, but it'd be 3 onyx and a diamond against platinum and diamonds. This was with "focused" matchmaking too. Makes little sense. The 3 onyx were probably partied up, wish they'd match parties against parties. Also further illustrates the need for a solo queue playlist.

Cranster

Banned
P2p and dedis mixed system wasn't tested lol
It seemed like alot wasn't tested. The netcode in Halo 2 and Halo 3 co-op was horrid, achievements glitched, game randomly crashes, missing UI options like Halo 3's change gametype in Forge and change teams in Halo 2, lighting glitches in Halo 4, ect.

I just can't see how nobody at 343i would not have noticed any of these problems before launch.

jem0208

I wish they hadn't changed the Boltshot from H4 to 5. H4's Boltshot was a really interesting weapon which only got a negative rep due to it being a loadout option. H5's Boltshot is really quite dull in comparison...

I wish they hadn't changed the Boltshot from H4 to 5. H4's Boltshot was a really interesting weapon which only got a negative rep due to it being a loadout option. H5's Boltshot is really quite dull in comparison...

Kind of nice to have other tracking weapons besides the Needler, the boltshot also serves as a nice semi-noob combo against Soldiers and Knights.

Like the Plasma Caster, I think the Boltshot could use a buff. Either that or replace it with one of the variants, along with the Suppressor. I feel like these are the only weapons that aren't picked up. Also, the Carbine feels one shot too weak imo, but at least that gets used in Arena.

mcrommert

Banned
Like the Plasma Caster, I think the Boltshot could use a buff. Either that or replace it with one of the variants, along with the Suppressor. I feel like these are the only weapons that aren't picked up. Also, the Carbine feels one shot too weak imo, but at least that gets used in Arena.

Agreed on in arena change the variant...dont buff the standard as in firefight prometheans already wreck with the default variant

jem0208

Kind of nice to have other tracking weapons besides the Needler, the boltshot also serves as a nice semi-noob combo against Soldiers and Knights.

Eh, the Suppressor plays that role as well. The Boltshot is effectively just a semi auto version of the Suppressor.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy crap, after being a perma Gold-1 for the entire June-July season, I managed to level up this weekend to Platinum 1. It learned a lot about how the matchmaking works, and found out how the odds are rigged against a solo player in the low ranks.

(warning, long post incoming)

So, for all of the June/July season, I was just unable to climb up from Gold 1. I would play really well (like, 15K 5D well), but there would always be one 3K 20D in my team who would nullify my effort. Logic would say that the chances are that the shit player gets placed on either team are equal - but that is not actually true. Teams being included in the matchmaking skews the balance so that it's very unfavourable to the solo player. At some point, I had

W/L 39%
K/D 1.09

So I was contributing in every single game above par, but on average I was dragged down by the 'players in ranking' who'd have about 8 games under their belt. They'd always finish last with a stupid ratio like 3K 20D. Meanwhile, the opposing side would have teams every once in a while, which tips balance to their favour.

This went on for a month, and at some point Halo matchmaking figured - 'hmm... this Chittagong guy seems to be a really bad player since he just keeps on losing, so we better serve him some easier opponents'. Then, this weekend, this happened:

KAjjvSk.jpg

I was finally ranked so bad, that even with the bad players matched into my team, I could still pull the whole team to win in each game, and finally level up to Platinum. We'd win games like 50-8. After I got to Platinum today, I decided to review my stats. Was it me just imagining myself pulling the team almost every time, and being dragged down by others?

To answer this question, I decided to look at how I placed within my team over 165 games during the season - a big enough sample to ensure sufficient randomness. My hypothesis was that given randomness and functional matchmaking, I should have equal 25% odds at placing 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th within my team over a large enough number of games. Well, turns out this is not quite the case.

Placement within team - both winning and losing teams
(one bar is one match)

1/5 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 35%
2/6 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 34%
3/6 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 34%
4/8 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 10%

So in all games I played, I placed in top half 69%. In truly random matchmaking I would place top 50% half of the times. But the difference isn't that big. Where it really got interesting was looking at the matches I lost. These are the matches that prevented me from leveling up - and the ones that eventually led me to be served with insanely bad opponents.

Placement within team - losing teams

5 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 46%
6 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 36%
7 IIIIII 8%
8 IIIIIII 10%

In the losing games, I was within the top half 80% of the times. In other words, in 4 matches out of 5, other players were dragging me down. If the matchmaking was perfect, the odds should be 50/50. Now they are 80/20. This means that on low levels, it's almost impossible to level up as you'll be dealt with team mates so bad you just can't win. The reason, I believe, is that as a solo player, you get matched against teams every few games, so the odds of you as a good solo player getting dealt the shit player are significantly higher than the odds would dictate.

TL;DR - leveling up solo on low levels is futile, you'll get dealt bad team mates more often than you're due, because you are matched agaist teams

Ramirez

Why would you want to get shit on? lol

I'm assuming the only people still playing Arena at this point are the absolute best of the best at the higher ranks and more than likely teamed up. I really do not understand why the game can't have a true social playlist at this point in its life. I played Halo 3 for years because I could hop on at any time and just play games against a random group of people of all skill levels. Now that Halo 5 isn't my most played game, hopping on occasionally for a session and just getting slaughtered 5 games in a row before I turn it off is no fun. I'm a broken record at this point, but hell, I love the game, but my past 3 experiences have been miserable.

I think it's a test from 343 to see how far they could ride this train to:
  • See if there ever comes a point where people stop complaining about solo vs teams
  • What impact this has on population
  • Condition fans to disregard visual ranks and how long it will take for that to happen, if ever (Quinn wants everything to be ranked, for example. That's a philosophical shift that Halo fans are not accustomed to.)
  • Avoid giving us near-identical copies of existing playlists between ranked/unranked to avoid hurting the population of either playlist
  • Learn from all of this for Halo 6

I agree. I felt like the H4 Boltshot was essential a reworking of the Plasma Pistol. Now it feels like a less useful magnum variant.

I feel like the design doc for half the Promethean weapons was 'make the shots track players'.

It's the laziest way to differential a weapon.

But then, they totally made the Light Rifle one of the most satisfying weapons to use. So props for that.

op_ivy

Why would you want to get shit on? lol

I'm assuming the only people still playing Arena at this point are the absolute best of the best at the higher ranks and more than likely teamed up. I really do not understand why the game can't have a true social playlist at this point in its life. I played Halo 3 for years because I could hop on at any time and just play games against a random group of people of all skill levels. Now that Halo 5 isn't my most played game, hopping on occasionally for a session and just getting slaughtered 5 games in a row before I turn it off is no fun. I'm a broken record at this point, but hell, I love the game, but my past 3 experiences have been miserable.

thats my fetish.

in all seriousness, i'm a fan of the pro scene and think it would be cool to match and play with pros from time to time, even if it led to my utter destruction and embarrassment.

Arena is a fucking joke

Halo is dad

It's a shame but I'm having the same problems. I try to play around 9-10am before all the really good people hop on twitch and it's a massive struggle to find games. I either have to deal with it or start playing at night and destroy my circadian rhythm and compete against pro streamers.

I'll be switching to cod4 100℅ unless h5 goes completely f2p.

Holy crap, after being a perma Gold-1 for the entire June-July season, I managed to level up this weekend to Platinum 1. It learned a lot about how the matchmaking works, and found out how the odds are rigged against a solo player in the low ranks.

(warning, long post incoming)

So, for all of the June/July season, I was just unable to climb up from Gold 1. I would play really well (like, 15K 5D well), but there would always be one 3K 20D in my team who would nullify my effort. Logic would say that the chances are that the shit player gets placed on either team are equal - but that is not actually true. Teams being included in the matchmaking skews the balance so that it's very unfavourable to the solo player. At some point, I had

W/L 39%
K/D 1.09

So I was contributing in every single game above par, but on average I was dragged down by the 'players in ranking' who'd have about 8 games under their belt. They'd always finish last with a stupid ratio like 3K 20D. Meanwhile, the opposing side would have teams every once in a while, which tips balance to their favour.

This went on for a month, and at some point Halo matchmaking figured - 'hmm... this Chittagong guy seems to be a really bad player since he just keeps on losing, so we better serve him some easier opponents'. Then, this weekend, this happened:

KAjjvSk.jpg

I was finally ranked so bad, that even with the bad players matched into my team, I could still pull the whole team to win in each game, and finally level up to Platinum. We'd win games like 50-8. After I got to Platinum today, I decided to review my stats. Was it me just imagining myself pulling the team almost every time, and being dragged down by others?

To answer this question, I decided to look at how I placed within my team over 165 games during the season - a big enough sample to ensure sufficient randomness. My hypothesis was that given randomness and functional matchmaking, I should have equal 25% odds at placing 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th within my team over a large enough number of games. Well, turns out this is not quite the case.

Placement within team - both winning and losing teams
(one bar is one match)

1/5 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 35%
2/6 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 34%
3/6 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 34%
4/8 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 10%

So in all games I played, I placed in top half 69%. In truly random matchmaking I would place top 50% half of the times. But the difference isn't that big. Where it really got interesting was looking at the matches I lost. These are the matches that prevented me from leveling up - and the ones that eventually led me to be served with insanely bad opponents.

Placement within team - losing teams

5 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 46%
6 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 36%
7 IIIIII 8%
8 IIIIIII 10%

In the losing games, I was within the top half 80% of the times. In other words, in 4 matches out of 5, other players were dragging me down. If the matchmaking was perfect, the odds should be 50/50. Now they are 80/20. This means that on low levels, it's almost impossible to level up as you'll be dealt with team mates so bad you just can't win. The reason, I believe, is that as a solo player, you get matched against teams every few games, so the odds of you as a good solo player getting dealt the shit player are significantly higher than the odds would dictate.

TL;DR - leveling up solo on low levels is futile, you'll get dealt bad team mates more often than you're due, because you are matched agaist teams

I feel like everybody already knew 343i's matchmaking was trash?

You'd think, if they wanted to push team play, they would have incentivized teamplay in some capacity. Like, I don't know, allowing teams thrown together teams that managed to win together the opportunity to party up the lobby before immediately being scrambled for the next match, or providing EXP or REQ bonuses for teams that stuck together for match after match after match.

The Halo 5 matchmaking suite feels like a prototype for the Halo 2 matchmaking suite in both player experience feature-set and efficiency.

Top Bottom