• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

IHaveIce

Banned

yeah I meant more interviews and vidocs where he is explaining and praising the game, trailers are fine for me to watch but everytime he tries to sell a game now I have to think about the MCC

I seriously moved on from it and love Halo 5 but still think the internet and everyone else let 343 too easy off the hook for the MCC

yeah I meant more interviews and vidocs where he is explaining and praising the game, trailers are fine for me to watch but everytime he tries to sell a game now I have to think about the MCC

I seriously moved on from it and love Halo 5 but still think the internet and everyone else let 343 too easy off the hook for the MCC

Yet you're putting it all on one guy, making him a symbol for your dissatisfaction with the MCC.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yet you're putting it all on one guy, making him a symbol for your dissatisfaction with the MCC.

no I don't. Please don't try to assume things

I put a completely different blame on the guy who promoted this game and was a spokesperson for the company and then vanished from social media after the launch for months after ensuring at each prelaunch event that it would still be issues with the prebuild.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I feel like everybody already knew 343i's matchmaking was trash?

You'd think, if they wanted to push team play, they would have incentivized teamplay in some capacity. Like, I don't know, allowing teams thrown together teams that managed to win together the opportunity to party up the lobby before immediately being scrambled for the next match, or providing EXP or REQ bonuses for teams that stuck together for match after match after match.

The Halo 5 matchmaking suite feels like a prototype for the Halo 2 matchmaking suite in both player experience feature-set and efficiency.

I guess they are going up the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs, they first needed to sort the server lag and US host advantage, which they have done now to the most extent (aside of Splinter grenades not being an one hit kill, and rocket fired on opponent's face killing you but not the opponent), the connection is much improved.

You kinda get a sense that they know allowing teams into MM is unfair, as there is absolutely no indication of teamed players, even post-match. You actually have to look at their game history to figure out who plays in a team.

Starting to think halo 5 is going to die soon. Guessing no more updates to come and I hardly see anybody play it anymore. Great game but I feel like some of the ways 343 handled the game hurt it.

I liked monthly updates (when they did them) but waiting and relaseing them in clumps would of brought more people probably.

Focusing too much on pro leauge actively killed arena. Lack of game types and not doing stuff like solo queuing. That and making team arena the only playlist with objective and only putting stuff in there that is accepted in pro leauge.

Hate the whole population reason of why nothing will get added when if they would of just done it as soon as the game came out.

Just too many small things that turn people off and prevent them from coming back from the game. Hate being a broken record but problems like these are the reason why hardly anybody ever plays. Hell I play the game every day I can but its harder to keep playing when there is no one to play with.

Madness

Don't think it is a Halo 5 specific issue. In the era of annualized releases, unless you have a low cost to ownership, games will struggle beyond the first month, 3 months, 1 year etc. Unless you're Nintendo, a game like GTA, you're going to flame out quickly. Look at Battlefront and Hardline and other games.

Also, people just playing less. Half the people on my friends list are just watching HBO or Netflix on their consoles and not gaming. Amongst younger kids who game more, for them Halo is a nonfactor.

Chittagong

Gold Member
They really need to make Halo 5 multiplayer F2P and then monetise on REQs, tourneys etc. The game is just too damn good to be limited to people buying the whole packaged game. The platform is there, now Microsoft just needs to do something that hasn't been done with consoles before.

Welfare

Halo 5 doesn't need to go F2P, only flops go that route. Hundreds of thousands play the game every day, they won't disappear in a month, and we'll still got updates, just not on a monthly schedule.

wwm0nkey

Halo 5 doesn't need to go F2P, only flops go that route. Hundreds of thousands play the game every day, they won't disappear in a month, and we'll still got updates, just not on a monthly schedule.

Going F2P doesn't mean a game is a flop, but yeah Halo 5 doesn't need to go that route. They should sell the MP by itself at a reduced price though.

I put a completely different blame on the guy who promoted this game and was a spokesperson for the company and then vanished from social media after the launch for months after ensuring at each prelaunch event that it would still be issues with the prebuild.

You said you can't watch videos with Dan specifically, do you avoid media of all 343 employees? I doubt it, you're singling him out.

This guy is a fucking joke, I can't watch anything Halo Wars 2 related media because of this.

What bizzaro world do I live in that you guys don't think H5 needs to go F2P? The game will be straight dead by December, you guys must never leave Warzone lol.

When you and your one time opponent join the same team and become best friends

ZiEcWgo.gif

what it's a reference to

I can't stop staring...why?...

Trup1aya

They should've had Open Hand or Closed Fist act like the original Bolt Shot.

The H5 bolt shot should have worked like the original bolt shot.

It was really only broken due to Promethean vision. With that gone, they should have added some video and audio cues to minimize camping, but kept the guns function sessentially the same.

Instead we got a homing BR.

Trup1aya

What bizzaro world do I live in that you guys don't think H5 needs to go F2P? The game will be straight dead by December, you guys must never leave Warzone lol.

They definately will need to do some sort of aggressive promotion for the fall/holiday season. F2P would definitely be good for the population.

Really more MP games should go f2p when their population is on the downswing.

Madness

Yeah I am also on the no F2P route. Even people like Cliffy championing F2P before are cutting back now.

I would say MCC and H5 being quite barebones at launch harmed H5's population and longterm viability than any of their content plans or whatnot. I mean there is still no in game file browser. Plus Xbox One is struggling as a console. Essentially dead outside US/UK/Canada/Australia and even then it is second against PS4 in these countries.

Had we got what H5 is now at launch, the game would have been loved much more.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
omggggggggggg this is my favorite thing in the world right now

I hope Chief and Locke are bros in H6.

I was wondering if that vid would come out. I was setting up the Warzone Firfight stations one morning and I turned around to...that.

Mistel

Banned
Like the Plasma Caster, I think the Boltshot could use a buff. Either that or replace it with one of the variants, along with the Suppressor. I feel like these are the only weapons that aren't picked up. Also, the Carbine feels one shot too weak imo, but at least that gets used in Arena.
Carbine could definitely do with a buff it feels a fair bit weaker than the 4 version.

Yeah I am also on the no F2P route. Even people like Cliffy championing F2P before are cutting back now.

I would say MCC and H5 being quite barebones at launch harmed H5's population and longterm viability than any of their content plans or whatnot. I mean there is still no in game file browser. Plus Xbox One is struggling as a console. Essentially dead outside US/UK/Canada/Australia and even then it is second against PS4 in these countries.

Had we got what H5 is now at launch, the game would have been loved much more.

Yeah but cliffy's game isn't out yet (is it?) whereas H5 has had almost a year of being full priced, retail sales are at a legit crawl by now. You admit the pop has gotten smacked but dont want F2P...you just want to watch it slowly bleed out? Plus it would be perfect marketing for HW2 and H6.

The 2017 HWC will be a joke compared to 2016 if it doesn't go F2P, unless they are saving all the REQ sales from April 16-March 17. I don't see it breaking 1.5mil (assuming MS puts up 1mil)

Trup1aya

Ok, at this point in halo 5's life cycle, what are the arguments AGAINST going F2P.

From where I sit, the population boost would only be a good thing for all parties.

Existing H5 owners would have more people to play with
New players would get a new game for free
343i/MS would get more req sales

There may be a couple dollars left to squeeze out of the retail market. And I bet they want to bundle H5 with Xbox One S. But there will come a time in the near future where copies of H5 just aren't being sold. F2p would come to the rescue

Welfare

You guys act like there are less people playing than Halo 4 right now. All they would need to do this year is have a "GOTY" edition that comes with the game, all those preorder REQ shortcuts, that Welcome REQ pack, and maybe another special REQ pack. Price it at $50.

Also, there is this
1931164_0.jpg

So there will be a population boost anyway, F2P will not happen this soon after launch.

Honestly, I don’t think it matters what they do at this point. The player bases as already shrunk and come this fall when all the heavy hitters come, this game will pretty much be dead. Sure, the hardcore Halo fans will still play. However, most of the player base will have moved on to whatever is next. Arena will just be filled with nothing but parties and the hardcore type. Warzone will fare a little better since it’s pretty much the only casual mode in the game and still you go up against parties.

So there are only really a couple of options here:

Going F2P, they already did a number of significant price cuts for it, so everyone that wanted the game probably has it by now. So make the multiplayer at least F2P and get money from the Req packs. If you want the campaign you can pay like $20 or something.

Some type of significant expansion needs to come out if you want to keep a player base. People start to leave if there is nothing new. So no more monthly updates are going to hurt. Monthly updates is one reason why I believe Halo 5 retained its pop as long as it did. There was always something new and the end of the month you could look forward to.

Personally, there are a number of things that killed the game for me:

1) Matchmaking is the big one; constantly going against parties, leavers, and just bad mm in general. I can take subpar maps and I can take the lack of game modes. However, what I can’t take is being fucking smashed every game going against non-stop parties.

2) The lack of a social playlist and game modes; we never got true social playlists. Unranked games pretty much use the same system they just hid the rank so people think it’s social (If this isn’t true then how come there are people that had Champion on things like Rocket Rumble).

3) No fucking reason to play. What’s the point of trying to do decent in arena when your rank gets reset and everyone gets the same rewards (it’s a really shitty reward to; it’s just the same emblem reused every month, what a joke). How about getting to max SR? No thanks, takes a ridiculous amount of time and all you get is an emblem. At least in Reach you had cool ranks such as Nova, Legend, Hero, and etc. Here you are just SR XXX, nobody gives a shit. Once I left the SC, I felt no reason to play. Achilles grind was one of the only things keeping me.

4) Horrible playlist management and just management in general. Sure, it improved significantly over launch; however most of this should have been there at launch to begin with.

There are a lot more reasons, but I don’t feel like ranting and writing an essay about this. Plus everyone here knows the issues this game has so I don’t see the point of constantly repeating myself. Halo 5 is a good game, one of the best Halos when it comes to gameplay. However, in my view, poor management pretty much killed it.

BTB pistol starts.

IHaveIce

Banned
You said you can't watch videos with Dan specifically, do you avoid media of all 343 employees? I doubt it, you're singling him out.
Wtf. Did you read the other words in the post? I did say I put a different blame onto him and since we was the one promoting the mcc I feel uneasy everytime I see him promoting something. No worry I give other 343 for the MCC itself also their shit if that makes you feel better.

Am I in the twillight zone or what.

So I just bought a legendary loot crate, really don't like how it's subscription based so you need to cancel or it will charge you bi-monthly.

Just let my buy the qty I'd like, I can be in charge of my purchases thanks.

Better be worth it!

I want to keep playing Slayer but idk sometimes.... this is from last night

A group of Random lowly Plats vs Onyx and Diamond players. .... Ranks are such bs.

HOW the F did they get matched against us? Did it really pair us up because of the guy who is placing still? gtfo.

I don't even do focused anymore because they are way too sweaty for my liking, and they still pair me up against diamond and onyx players. Here, i was thinking balanced would keep me within my platinum pool. NAH.

Fix the Matchmaking

SPOILERS: People get jobs in hopes of promoting goods and services in order to earn money, which can, in turn, be used to purchase goods and services

So I just bought a legendary loot crate, really don't like how it's subscription based so you need to cancel or it will charge you bi-monthly.

Just let my buy the qty I'd like, I can be in charge of my purchases thanks.

Better be worth it!

You and me both, I'm curious what will come in the first crate. I think start of August for my first one to arrive.

Danny 117

Stole a Mythic boss kill last night in Warzone. I was panicking so I called in the only Phaeton I had and just unloaded the rockets on the boss and somehow got the credit for our team (he was less than 5% health with the other team doing most of the damage.)

I feel so dirty but we got the win because of that so.... :D

Ha, that's nearly identical to my low Gold experience I posted about above - sustain a positive KD, yet end up with low WL ratio.

I dont give a shit about KD any more, I just make sure I'm top of the board in objective participation and damage dealing, but those won't help with shitty teammates whatsoever.

Here's an idea for the Boltshot (or a variant):

Out of scope: standard shot is a three-round burst with no homing, charge shot is a Halo 4-style Boltshot blast, except it's only strong enough to take out shields, rather than making it an instakill

In-scope: Charge shot disabled, uses Halo 5-style homing three-round burst

jem0208

I feel like I must have been quite lucky with the matchmaking...

I’ve got a win percentage of 58 in Arena and 54 in Warzone.

Out of scope: standard shot is a three-round burst with no homing, charge shot is a Halo 4-style Boltshot blast, except it's only strong enough to take out shields, rather than making it an instakill

I like that a lot.

Trup1aya

Works for me.

I'd also be fine with the charge shot being 1HK if fully charged, but the reticle should shrink the longer you hold it, meaning going for the the 1HK would be a high risk play.

Madness

Yeah but cliffy's game isn't out yet (is it?) whereas H5 has had almost a year of being full priced, retail sales are at a legit crawl by now. You admit the pop has gotten smacked but dont want F2P...you just want to watch it slowly bleed out? Plus it would be perfect marketing for HW2 and H6.

The 2017 HWC will be a joke compared to 2016 if it doesn't go F2P, unless they are saving all the REQ sales from April 16-March 17. I don't see it breaking 1.5mil (assuming MS puts up 1mil)

The game is down to $19.99 in most sales. That is how much it is on sale for in Canada. It will be bundled soon with the new Slim variants. Would make no sense for them to make the game free. Plus they even had that free to download and try for Gold members thing a few weeks ago with the launch of warzone firefight.

Who knows though. I mean they could make it free. Watch as tons of holdouts download and try it and then vanish forever. If they haven't bought it buy now they never would have. In a game with rampant quitting and absolute bonkers rankings can't even imagine how much the free players would wreck things. See and things like this could be seen with population counters. All because of Fyrewulffs post and the decline of H4 not only did they remove them from the game, major nelson stopped doing the top 10 list and they even removed most played from the xbox one in console store.

I think I’ve played two matches with people in my party. I didn’t have a mic though...

You're just really good in Halo. Onyx to high diamond sustain. slayer win percentage is 48%. Arena is 61%. Overall 58% is most likely including your 100% win in breakout or maybe im wrong because i cant do mathss.

The only problem with stuff like the Wahrer Boltshot is while that logic sounds fine on paper and would be kinda intuitive after figuring it out, if you try applying similar logic to even 50% of the existing sandbox things start falling apart and become a bit too complicated for someone just jumping in. I mean hell, just look at how many people here had no idea you could charge the new Incineration Cannon.

I honestly think it'd be worth exploring a KI Dojo-type series of tutorials if we got more technical weapons (and it would also allow new players to pick up on Halo mechanics, e.g. shields versus health, headshot capability, etc.), but at the same time I can't imagine the average shooter player would subject themselves to weapon tutorials like that.

Trup1aya

The only problem with stuff like the Wahrer Boltshot is while that logic sounds fine on paper and would be kinda intuitive after figuring it out, if you try applying similar logic to even 50% of the existing sandbox things start falling apart and become a bit too complicated for someone just jumping in. I mean hell, just look at how many people here had no idea you could charge the new Incineration Cannon.

I honestly think it'd be worth exploring a KI Dojo-type series of tutorials if we got more technical weapons (and it would also allow new players to pick up on Halo mechanics, e.g. shields versus health, headshot capability, etc.), but at the same time I can't imagine the average shooter player would subject themselves to weapon tutorials like that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a little bit of nuance. If some people aren't invested enough to figure out everything a weapon has to offer, so be it. That's something that comes with depth.

There were people in who never figured out how to crouch jump.

Top Bottom