• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

The Flash

Banned

tumblr_m30g4bVV7G1qb978l.gif

343 just updated MCC playlists and shit. WHAT YEAR IS IT!?!?!?

That's cool and good on them but can they now get parties to stay together without crapping out in MCC and solid dedis in place of P2P fallback?

I know this is 4 player coop in ODST but just an example of getting a group of buddies together recently and the game crapping out on us, again:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/b5d00e42-8422-4f75-b040-457f016ad963

We had to do that part 3 times over from the start of that mission. The above dropout due to P2P, which I understand was never dedis of course. Then that same section Virgil got stuck and wouldn't open the door at all so we had to restart. Third time we got lucky.

Sai

The old variant was broke, because you could spawn with it. Now you can't... The fixed the main issue, then threw out the design.

The new version is useless if you are decent with the pistol. It doesn't get touched in matchmaking
It's the last weapon commendation I have to work on. I'm at Level 5, 10/50... And it's tiring, to say the least.

Bessy67

I have one win on Urban out of 31 games completed in Warzone Firefight. So many of the encounters on that map are extremely unfair.

I got the door of the mall with my OG in hand to sell and couldn't do it. I kept hearing Deacon Pipap's taunts and decided I needed to let him break my important parts on a more continual basis.

Any word on plans for Team Objective or Team Action Sack in Halo 5? I know Assault may be coming back to Team Arena next season, but it would still be nice to have a larger variety of objective modes.

Any word on plans for Team Objective or Team Action Sack in Halo 5? I know Assault may be coming back to Team Arena next season, but it would still be nice to have a larger variety of objective modes.

A pure Team Objective would be bloody nice. On a positive note 343 appear to have returned population to objective, kudos well deserved there given the history of pure objective playlists EOL H3/Reach. Assault Preview was a huge success IMO, always found fast matches and had some great games against diamond/onyx teams.

I get my ass handed to me in Arena diamond slayer as it's really not my playstyle at all. I'm an OBJ guy and would kill for a playlist of that exclusively. I'm fine with CTF being in there but please leave out strongholds. I also feel leaving out strongholds and things like territories, headhunter etc keeps the population active. It's not fun playing solo or buddies and sitting in a stationary kill box both teams are focusing on. Sure it's great full teams vs full teams but I feel CTF/assault allow solo, buddies and teams to really move and outplay without the locked down or cheap kills feelings of gametypes like strongholds.

Edit, thought I would check out my Assault Preview stats:

eCOrpbd.jpg

Cool I had almost 95 arms with 300 bomb kills and over 2 hours of bomb time for 128 games played. Not bad even if I say so myself. Damn I traverse offense and defense pretty evenly though. K/D sucks but accurate for a guy always going for the bomb. I also played this 95% solo.

NOKYARD

All they did was add Halo 3 Grifball and then reshuffle the playlists based on player base.

This was quite a surprise.

The maps are from the original Xbox 360 Halo 3 playlist, not the remakes i had to build from scratch because MCC can not import original Halo 3 Forge maps.

The maps also appear in your MCC Halo 3 Forge map list after playing on them.

Sai

Warzone or warzone assault, open hand or closed fist.
That's what I've been doing in Warzone, but I keep getting matched against a bunch of try-hard teams that won't let me mess around with them long enough. :p

I had like 60 Open Hands when I started this grind. Now I'm down to around 20.

Ok I know I'm way behind on this but after taking a loooong break from Halo, I jumped back in to do a Legendary run through H5. And... Can someone help me verbalize just what the fuck is going on with the difficulty? I guess I forgot that it felt weird or maybe it's just exacerbated on Legendary, but are Spartans weaker in this game to compensate for revive? Or... I don't know, something feels very off connected to the squad and how much damage I can (or cannot) take.

Also, what seems to be the feeling around here about the purported leaks regarding changes imposed on 343 by MS regarding the campaign/story? I know the first time I played through, the story felt very truncated in its telling especially coming after H4 which, while divisive, it's story was elegantly and efficiently told.

jfoul

Dudes, not having a content road-map got me sad. I feel abandoned!

I know 343i is pushing Halo Wars 2, and probably shifted most resources to Halo 6, but it would be nice to get some info on future updates. Future support for H5 has been really vague since the Firefight update. Realistically, I think we'll just see general updates for Forge, UI, and balance. Maybe later a content update tie in with Halo Wars 2.

Trup1aya

Ok I know I'm way behind on this but after taking a loooong break from Halo, I jumped back in to do a Legendary run through H5. And... Can someone help me verbalize just what the fuck is going on with the difficulty? I guess I forgot that it felt weird or maybe it's just exacerbated on Legendary, but are Spartans weaker in this game to compensate for revive? Or... I don't know, something feels very off connected to the squad and how much damage I can (or cannot) take.

Also, what seems to be the feeling around here about the purported leaks regarding changes imposed on 343 by MS regarding the campaign/story? I know the first time I played through, the story felt very truncated in its telling especially coming after H4 which, while divisive, it's story was elegantly and efficiently told.

Which leaks?

I did see something that suggested MS forced the 4 played co-op angle, which lead to characters being thrown in for no reason.

That explains SOME of the character development issues. But not the poor narrative, useless and ineffective exposition, terrible choreography, lack of connection to H4, and failure to explain the motivations of key characters (warden, Halsey, cortana, Roland), or the over reliance on EU knowledge.

I can believe MS' tampering could have made delivering a story more difficult. But I can't see how anything they've done could make the writing this bad.

the malus

Neo Member
nerf CE-Pistol on Recurve please (16 perfects, 7000 damage dealt):
You can really wreck with that thing, especially since you have basically infinite ammo because they respawn so fast. But I sure hope if they ever make a classic playlist (which they should have done long ago) they don't use it as a starting weapon. It is just far too easy to use for how fast it kills.

Bonus:
"1 way to find out your ISP hates you! Number 1 made me throw my controller!"

Trup1aya

nerf CE-Pistol on Recurve please (16 perfects, 7000 damage dealt):

You can really wreck with that thing, especially since you have basically infinite ammo because they respawn so fast. But I sure hope if they ever make a classic playlist (which they should have done long ago) they don't use it as a starting weapon. It is just far too easy to use for how fast it kills.

Bonus:
"1 way to find out your ISP hates you! Number 1 made me throw my controller!"

They should make it projectile like the original.

link1201

Dudes, not having a content road-map got me sad. I feel abandoned!

I know 343i is pushing Halo Wars 2, and probably shifted most resources to Halo 6, but it would be nice to get some info on future updates. Future support for H5 has been really vague since the Firefight update. Realistically, I think we'll just see general updates for Forge, UI, and balance. Maybe later a content update tie in with Halo Wars 2.
Hopefully we'll see some more news this week since we didn't get a community update last week. I know I got spoiled with all the updates and will have to readjust my expectations going forward.

Which leaks?

I did see something that suggested MS forced the 4 played co-op angle, which lead to characters being thrown in for no reason.

That explains SOME of the character development issues. But not the poor narrative, useless and ineffective exposition, terrible choreography, lack of connection to H4, and failure to explain the motivations of key characters (warden, Halsey, cortana, Roland), or the over reliance on EU knowledge.

I can believe MS' tampering could have made delivering a story more difficult. But I can't see how anything they've done could make the writing this bad.

That's the same leak, from Latenitegaming (sp?) on YouTube, that I'm talking about. There was more to it than mandating 4-player though. The rest of the leak said that MS, who had requested that Cortana exit the series so that she could become their new Siri and not be a name so closely associated with video games anymore, overreacted to the fan backlash over her death in Halo 4. They demanded that she be put back in, resulting in the original plot and game structure having to be altered or thrown out.

Supposedly the original plan was going to be very ODST-like where Locke plays a detective role, jumping from location to location following the Master Chiefs trail. When you found a clue as Locke, you then would enter into a flashback mission as the Master Chief showing what happened. The origins of the weapons down missions lie in the fact that that's mostly how you played as Locke.

As ever, there is no proof for this, but even if it is fake it speaks to the need to explain such a baffling mess of a story. Check out the guys videos, they are a little long and the information is spread across 2 or 3 clips but again, even if not true, they are constructed well because to fit the need for a story for what happened.

Since we will likely never know the truth, and the truth may be as mundane as that people just fucked up on this game, they make for a really interesting food for thought.

Trup1aya

That's the same leak, from Latenitegaming (sp?) on YouTube, that I'm talking about. There was more to it than mandating 4-player though. The rest of the leak said that MS, who had requested that Cortana exit the series so that she could become their new Siri and not be a name so closely associated with video games anymore, overreacted to the fan backlash over her death in Halo 4. They demanded that she be put back in, resulting in the original plot and game structure having to be altered or thrown out.

Supposedly the original plan was going to be very ODST-like where Locke plays a detective role, jumping from location to location following the Master Chiefs trail. When you found a clue as Locke, you then would enter into a flashback mission as the Master Chief showing what happened. The origins of the weapons down missions lie in the fact that that's mostly how you played as Locke.

As ever, there is no proof for this, but even if it is fake it speaks to the need to explain such a baffling mess of a story. Check out the guys videos, they are a little long and the information is spread across 2 or 3 clips but again, even if not true, they are constructed well because to fit the need for a story for what happened.

Since we will likely never know the truth, and the truth may be as mundane as that people just fucked up on this game, they make for a really interesting food for thought.

Ok. I never knew the source of this info. I'll check it out.

The whole cortana things doesn't make much sense to me though. MS allegedly had her killed, while she was a good guy, so they could use her as a Windows personal assistant.

Then they bring her back, as a murderous bad guy, while still using her as a Windows personal assistant.

Of the billions of Windows users, so few know or care about Cortana's origins that it all seems like a ton of irrational over reactions.

Misc

Check out the guys videos

Thanks, but no, thanks. Latenightgaming is a scam that spread a lot of false information even going as far as accusing other youtubers of corruption just because his "leak" said so. You can tell that everything he says in that video is a bunch of made up lies: Cortana was killed off because Microsoft wanted a Siri competitor? How can people fall for this crap? It's not even food for thought: it is ridiculous that people need to make up conspiracy theories to explain why halo 5 story wasn't so great. It just wasn't,deal with it people

Trup1aya

Hmm well I just listened to the leak, and it really doesn't read like a leak. Rather a collection of mostly logical extrapolations made using information we already know or suspect.

The ntkrnl leak prior to H5's reveal already suggested that the game would be an ODST-style, semi-open world mystery. His leaks were extremely accurate, so it doesn't take a stretch to assume this was part of 343s initial plan.

We've already seen concept art that suggests there were plans for Palmer and Thorn to be a part of Fire Team Osiris at on point.

The conspiracy behind the death/life cortana makes no sense at all

MCC was very obviously a rush job. And there were comments from 343i that already suggested that they considered separating the anthology into separate releases rather than cramming it all into one disk.

It's clear to me that there was a rewrite. But none of this screams he has insider info.

Cranster

Banned
Ok. I never knew the source of this info. I'll check it out.

The whole cortana things doesn't make much sense to me though. MS allegedly had her killed, while she was a good guy, so they could use her as a Windows personal assistant.

Then they bring her back, as a murderous bad guy, while still using her as a Windows personal assistant.

Of the billions of Windows users, so few know or care about Cortana's origins that it all seems like a ton of irrational over reactions.
Don't see the point in that considering Microsoft owns the Halo IP and therefore owns Cortana to begin with.

According to 343i though the ending to Halo 5 was written or atleast planned before they even had Halo 4's ending. So Cortana was always planned to become the villain.

Fuchsdh

Dude, Late Night Gaming is a troll. Why would you trust anything the guy has to say, he's out to make videos about how 343 isn't making Halo "right" (read: the way he wants).

The guy has no special knowledge. Everything that he's said that is true can be gleaned from the portfolios of artists and designers from the game—public info, not some mysterious source.

The bit with Cortana in particular is mind-boggling bullshit. If Microsoft cared so much about rebranding Cortana to their Windows assistant, why would they let 343 bring her back in Halo 5? And why would they turn her into an antagonist?

Haruko

After a bit of a break, I'm excited for this classic playlist to come. I've enjoyed customs on some of the early remakes; can't wait to play on more polished ones in matchmaking

BizzyBum

I know it's only been a month since the Warzone Firefight release but I already feel like the game is sorta in this stagnation mode. I guess the monthly updates spoiled me. Now that those are gone there's nothing to really look forward to. I guess the rankings lasting 2 months this time doesn't help, either.

edit: just checked the SC. We are never getting that helmet. lol

Man ... my drive to put up with the matchmaking is.. lacking.

Haven't played a game since the 24th.

And since rainbow six will be free this weekend, idk if ill play any halo for a few more days.

I've been playing a ton lately. However, don't have a team anymore.

:'(

My reasoning is because im a plat 3 and i go against diamonds (1-6) and onyx. i dont know how i can continue to win and place into diamond again. Atleast pair me with people in platinum and let me fight my way out of the platinum pool. Then ill gadly accept playing against diamonds and onyx players.

Sanjuro

My reasoning is because im a plat 3 and i go against diamonds (1-6) and onyx. i dont know how i can continue to win and place into diamond again. Atleast pair me with people in platinum and let me fight my way out of the platinum pool. Then ill gadly accept playing against diamonds and onyx players.

I have no idea what you just said. Hah.

The ranking system is confusing for us olds.

I have no idea what you just said. Hah.

The ranking system is confusing for us olds.

When im playing Slayer, im currently ranked as a Platinum 3. When i search for a game, the matchmaking system pairs me against higher ranked players, such as Diamond and Onyx. Yet, im not in that pool of rank.

So if im playing higher ranked players, that trends me having more losses than wins. Now, if they paird me up with other platinum players, it would suggest a more even chance to where i could rank up.

I just wish the match making would be a bit better and more reflective of my actual skill instead of me facing these higher ranked players.

Now, if a hidden match making rank is indicated i play at a diamond/onyx level, i would very much appreciate the rank to reflect properly across the board.

here are two screenshots from my past two games:

7/4 - outplayed and won vs a onyx, diamond and two plat 4.
Screenshot-Original.png

7/24 - we got outplayed and lost vs a onyx, diamond 6, diamond 5 and someone placing. None of the players on my team are in diamond to try to even it out. highly doubt the placement guy is a diamon or above...
Screenshot-Original.png

I don't want to keep playing games, wanting to win and increase my rank where i have these situations. This is only half of the issue. The other half is me being a solo que player and i go against full teams. ...

Sanjuro

Oh, yeah. I thought it was just for some league nonsense.

I think I'm Gold 5? I've been jumping around in game types though. Mixing in Warzone.

Trying to unlock the cat helmet of my dreams.

Cranster

Banned
Is there any good way for me to not die at the bottom of the lift to the detention center on Gravemind LASO? Because I always hit a checkpoint that = Instant death, even after I save and quit and resume I am dead instantly because I am being shot at by every enemy before I even hit the ground.

Why 343i did not include the Envy skull on Halo 2 LASO is beyond me.

Fuchsdh

Is there any good way for me to not die at the bottom of the lift to the detention center on Gravemind LASO? Because I always hit a checkpoint that = Instant death, even after I save and quit and resume I am dead instantly because I am being shot at by every enemy before I even hit the ground.

This conversation seems eerily familiar...

Honestly I don't care about LASO (I have thoughts about it! Thoughts!) and so if you're amenable to gltiching it via checkpoint sharing, I'd suggest you do it. True achievements has whole threads dedicated to it, and it saved me days of futility and pain. All I had to do was beat The Great Journey LASO and that was quite enough punishment.

(Still got ODST LASO to do though, we'll see if I can get a competent 4-Man team together for that one tho.

FyreWulff

It's too late now but whenever you get stuck in a death checkpoint like this, let yourself keep getting killed. You'll eventually get sent back to the previous checkpoint before that (in Halo 2)

Top Bottom