• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

It would be interesting regarding Halo Wars 2 lore if Professor Anders and Srgt. Forge had a close relationship kind of like Halsey and Keyes, before and/or during the events that took place in Harvest. And what I am curious is if it would be very possible for Anders to be pregnant right when she went into Cryogenic sleep 28 years ago. She would carry hers and Forge's legacy in the future of Halo lore.

For the thousands of hours I put into CE, I rarely ever played it with a radar, and you're disregarding custom games from later games. If you played competitive Halo from 1-4, you played them without radar. The argument is silly bruh, what you define as Halo may not be what another defines Halo as.

On a tangent, you brought up Reach: What are your thoughts on having another marketing push for TMCC if 343 decides to fix its issues and include Reach as an incentive to attract people? It'd be great if they offered it for free to those who got ODST for free and $5 for anyone else. New purchases of TMCC would have it included. Maybe even go a step further and offer H5's multiplayer for free with new purchases of TMCC as well, $10-20 as a standalone.

You're right, I certainly don't have a great opinion on a ton of custom games and modes that I have never personally gotten into. But I still totally believe the majority of players would be for keeping radar. Myself included.

And for your Reach idea, I'd love it as long as it was updated to 60fps like everything else. I still play Reach a couple times a month, I'm horrible now, but the screen tearing just seems really obvious now.

But an updated Reach with an actual community?
I'd play that more than 5.

TCKaos

I wish they hadn't changed the Boltshot from H4 to 5. H4's Boltshot was a really interesting weapon which only got a negative rep due to it being a loadout option. H5's Boltshot is really quite dull in comparison...

I'm okay with having only two shotguns in the sandbox instead of three.

jem0208

I'm okay with having only two shotguns in the sandbox instead of three.
The boltshot is more than just a shotgun though. The current Boltshot is being as fuck whereas the old design was actually interesting.

I also didn’t say I wouldn’t be up for any adjustments, there was a post a few pages back which I agree with. Biggest change being to make it so the charge is only strong enough to knock out shields

Karl2177

The boltshot is more than just a shotgun though. The current Boltshot is being as fuck whereas the old design was actually interesting.

I also didn’t say I wouldn’t be up for any adjustments, there was a post a few pages back which I agree with. Biggest change being to make it so the charge is only strong enough to knock out shields
So why use a boltshot instead of a plasma pistol?

The other problem with the Halo 4 boltshot that hardly got mentioned(and Halo 5 has this problem too) is that there's a delay between when you pull the trigger and when it actually fires on charge-able weapons. When you pull melee in midair, there's a slight delay because the game is determining if you're going to ground pound or regular melee. It was the same thing when using the boltshot in Halo 4. If you do a regular trigger pull, there's a fairly noticeable delay between the trigger and the actual shot. There seems to be a change between Reach and 4 in how the engine sees inputs and holds that imo has negatively impacted things.

In terms of boring(or being as your autocorrect assumed), I don't understand why the boltshot is being discussed when there's a Forerunner version of the needler that fires slightly faster and doesn't explode enemies. At least the boltshot acts as a precision tracking weapon, as dumb as the idea sounds.

The Flash

Banned
ZiEcWgo.gif

Found the source video

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm a dad for the 3rd time, send me your congrats halo brothers (and sisters)

FyreWulff

I still don't know why they just don't hire and work with Blur to create a CGI Halo movie. They are 10 years late on doing the obvious at this point.

They explained this last time, Microsoft doesn't want to get into the movie distribution business and would rather have actual movie companies handle the heavy lifting.

Sanjuro

I've been playing a lot more of this game the last few weeks. Finally found some sort of groove, where in the initial release stages just found nothing welcoming. Trudged through legendary solo. Absolutely despised it, but kept my Halo tradition ongoing.

I've been focusing now on the MP. Still doesn't feel like the Halo I love, but it's kind of somewhere in between.

Fuchsdh

I just don't find Legendary that fun in any Halo, it's really just a matter of how frustrating certain aspects of it are. I appreciate 343 is trying to move away from the noob combo combat rhythms, to mixed success. I hope we see more stuff in-game like the Grunt mech that break with tradition in terms of how we expect to deal with the various factions.

Cranster

Banned
They explained this last time, Microsoft doesn't want to get into the movie distribution business and would rather have actual movie companies handle the heavy lifting.
The Halo movie falling apart was alot more complicated than that though from my understanding. Everything from licensing deals, Microsoft's stake in the project, creative control and Neill Blomkamp being a relatively new and inexperienced director caused everything to fall apart.

Sanjuro

I just don't find Legendary that fun in any Halo, it's really just a matter of how frustrating certain aspects of it are. I appreciate 343 is trying to move away from the noob combo combat rhythms, to mixed success. I hope we see more stuff in-game like the Grunt mech that break with tradition in terms of how we expect to deal with the various factions.

Legendary Halo 1 & 3 are some of my favorite campaign moments ever in any video game.

Fuchsdh

The Halo movie falling apart was alot more complicated than that though from my understanding. Everything from licensing deals, Microsoft's stake in the project, creative control and Neill Blomkamp being a relatively new and inexperienced director caused everything to fall apart.

The biggest issue was ultimately Microsoft wasn't willing to play by feature film rules, and the studios weren't willing to play ball.

I'd still love an adaptation of the trilogy, because you could retell the events of the games with a much wider and inclusive scope and if they did it sooner rather than later you could still have people like Taylor and Downes reprise their voice roles. But it does seem like a pipe dream at this stage.

I am happy Blomkamp didn't get his hands on it, overall.

Akai__

Loved the Panel and loved which direction Halo Wars 2 is going. They quickly mentioned that Halo 5 still has some surprises, just not on any scale like the Firefight update. Want to hear more about that soon.

Frankie with that "Will there be MP?" question at the panel like promised. :D

Congrats.

Trup1aya

So why use a boltshot instead of a plasma pistol?

The other problem with the Halo 4 boltshot that hardly got mentioned(and Halo 5 has this problem too) is that there's a delay between when you pull the trigger and when it actually fires on charge-able weapons. When you pull melee in midair, there's a slight delay because the game is determining if you're going to ground pound or regular melee. It was the same thing when using the boltshot in Halo 4. If you do a regular trigger pull, there's a fairly noticeable delay between the trigger and the actual shot. There seems to be a change between Reach and 4 in how the engine sees inputs and holds that imo has negatively impacted things.

In terms of boring(or being as your autocorrect assumed), I don't understand why the boltshot is being discussed when there's a Forerunner version of the needler that fires slightly faster and doesn't explode enemies. At least the boltshot acts as a precision tracking weapon, as dumb as the idea sounds.

The current bolt shot just doesn't add anything interesting to the sandbox. It's the most egregious of all the Promethean weapons which suffer from from the same issue.

Grats!

The current bolt shot just doesn't add anything interesting to the sandbox. It's the most egregious of all the Promethean weapons which suffer from from the same issue.

Agreed, its currently a waste. I would give it H4's shotty ability except nerf it to be super close quarters. Would be a FANTASTIC counter to SMG/SR people shooting you for .2 seconds then meleeing you.

Actually after thinking about it, this NEEDS to happen.

TCKaos

Grats!

Agreed, its currently a waste. I would give it H4's shotty ability except nerf it to be super close quarters. Would be a FANTASTIC counter to SMG/SR people shooting you for .2 seconds then meleeing you.

How about it fires five non-tracking shots that could drop shields? Same travel time as the standard projectiles. Incredibly difficult to land ranged shots but up close it's possible to rapidly drop shields.

Fuchsdh

Grats!

Why bother changing the shotgun feature at all? The only issue with it in H4 was that you could spawn with a potential 1HK weapon. Having it as an on-map pickup removes that issue.

I think Halo 5 could work without radar in arena.

Radar was a necessity in previous Halos, because the relative size and spread of the maps, combined with slower traversal, created a need for a system to encourage players toward encounters and combat. The radar was essentially there as a waypoint to tell you where to go to shoot some guys.

In Halo 5, the maps are so cramped by comparison and the movement is so much faster, you don't need the push towards combat. It's never more than a half-second away.

Trup1aya

I think Halo 5 could work without radar in arena.

Radar was a necessity in previous Halos, because the relative size and spread of the maps, combined with slower traversal, created a need for a system to encourage players toward encounters and combat. The radar was essentially there as a waypoint to tell you where to go to shoot some guys.

In Halo 5, the maps are so cramped by comparison and the movement is so much faster, you don't need the push towards combat. It's never more than a half-second away.

Halo has always played better w/o radar. It was never neccisary and has always had the effect of slowing how quickly people engage, rather than move people towards an encounter.

I'm not so sure it'll work in h5, and your so called "cramped" maps have nothing to do with it. It's not like radar previously helped you cover ground. It's because Spartan abilities make enemies much more unpredictable .

Sanjuro

Halo has always played better w/o radar. It was never neccisary and has always had the effect of slowing how quickly people engage, rather than move people towards an encounter.

I'm not so sure it'll work in h5, and your so called "cramped" maps have nothing to do with it. It's not like radar previously helped you cover ground. It's because Spartan abilities make enemies much more unpredictable .

I still like the radar due to the stealth gameplay mechanic.

Lets start a movement.

Frankie and Tashi take note.

#Halo5ArenaNoRadar

someone tweet them some good jibby jabby about a playlist without radar.

i
ll be on rainbow seige this weekend tho...

I hope the classic playlist doesn't have radar, but I wonder what the progress is on that anyway. There were some decent remakes NOKYARD was checking out.

I hope the classic playlist doesn't have radar, but I wonder what the progress is on that anyway. There were some decent remakes NOKYARD was checking out.

I feel like we're that old married couple that vote for two different things and then complain about how all we've done is cancel out each other's vote.

But people don't like the current Boltshot? The old variant was broken as fuck, mostly because you could spawn with it. I enjoy the current iteration. I've had great moments of success killing someone that may normally out BR me if they're within a certain range.

I certainly wouldn't mind a 4th variant for Warzone where it had the old school shotgun function. But it would be redundant in the arena sandbox. Plus I was never fond of how it really weakened melee in H4. But again, that's mostly because everyone had it. If it was on map it wouldn't be any worse than the Brute Rifle, which I'm happy they finally included.

wait wut? classic playlist?

Why bother changing the shotgun feature at all? The only issue with it in H4 was that you could spawn with a potential 1HK weapon. Having it as an on-map pickup removes that issue.

True, all I remember from H4 is drop kicking my monitor from the boltshot rage, I only played it for a week, I heard they nerfed it?

Fuchsdh

True, all I remember from H4 is drop kicking my monitor from the boltshot rage, I only played it for a week, I heard they nerfed it?

They tuned the range so the 1HK range was lessened. Honestly it seems like the nerf was mostly psychological; I could still wreck with it post-patch but it seemed like a lot of people stopped using it in loadouts after that.

The Flash

Banned
Just finished reading Shadow of Intent. I quite liked it. Any other good Covenant perspective heavy books or novellas out there? How's Escalation?

I feel like we're that old married couple that vote for two different things and then complain about how all we've done is cancel out each other's vote.
<3 lol
Where are you getting this from??
They announced it last month IIRC. There's a Halo Waypoint thread for posting Halo 1 and 2 remakes, but they haven't given many details on how it'll be designed. They're looking at pure remakes, as in maps that are designed to be true to the originals along with no Spartan Abilities, and they're looking at maps redesigned with the new abilities in mind. For the CE remakes you'll spawn with the CE Pistol and for Halo 2 you'll spawn with the H2 BR.

<3 lol

They announced it last month IIRC. There's a Halo Waypoint thread for posting Halo 1 and 2 remakes, but they haven't given many details on how it'll be designed. They're looking at pure remakes, as in maps that are designed to be true to the originals along with no Spartan Abilities, and they're looking at maps redesigned with the new abilities in mind. For the CE remakes you'll spawn with the CE Pistol and for Halo 2 you'll spawn with the H2 BR.

Oh god the time to kill in those modes is gonna be absurd. So are they doing variants without abilities and then remade versions that will include abilities in the same playlist? That gives me horrible memories of having to vote for TU Slayer in Reach. Ugggh.

Oh god the time to kill in those modes is gonna be absurd. So are they doing variants without abilities and then remade versions that will include abilities in the same playlist? That gives me horrible memories of having to vote for TU Slayer in Reach. Ugggh.
I'm perfectly fine with it. We're not babbies, people will understand it just fine after a few times playing.
343 just updated MCC playlists and shit. WHAT YEAR IS IT!?!?!?
Don't get hyped, they only reordered the playlists in terms of population, removed Rumble Pit and gave us H3 Grifball.

I'm perfectly fine with it. We're not babbies, people will understand it just fine after a few times playing.

Sure but the issue was always getting the map you wanted but not the variant you wanted. So you want Hang em high without abilities? You'll always see the version with abilities. Every time. But I doubt there's a way to do it right without adding two playlists which would be a waste. Either way I'd be excited to play some fun remakes.

Trup1aya

But people don't like the current Boltshot? The old variant was broken as fuck, mostly because you could spawn with it. I enjoy the current iteration. I've had great moments of success killing someone that may normally out BR me if they're within a certain range.

I certainly wouldn't mind a 4th variant for Warzone where it had the old school shotgun function. But it would be redundant in the arena sandbox. Plus I was never fond of how it really weakened melee in H4. But again, that's mostly because everyone had it. If it was on map it wouldn't be any worse than the Brute Rifle, which I'm happy they finally included.

The old variant was broke, because you could spawn with it. Now you can't... The fixed the main issue, then threw out the design.

The new version is useless if you are decent with the pistol. It doesn't get touched in matchmaking

Top Bottom