• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

lol why cant we just compromise? I don't know many people that would be upset at a 25m radar showing other players if they clamber, sprint, thrust, ground pound, or hover. Radar is a crutch, but id be perfectly fine with the above.

IHaveIce

Banned
What's delusional about my posts? I think it's naive to say with certainty (key word there because no one can be sure one way or the other) that removing radar would have a negative impact on population when there are gameplay benefits to be achieved from removing it. I've provided tons of examples over the years as to how radar causes bad habits and limits the potential of creative play, especially with lesser skilled players who disregard other systems like friendly indicators under fire just because they're focused on 5% screen estate with red dots.

The main argument people latch onto against removing radar is how Halo would die without it.. I mean, how fickle do people think Halo fans are? It's crazy to me how some think radar is the main thing keeping people invested in Halo lol.

EDIT: SWAT, for example, is one of the most popular playlists in Halo and it doesn't have radar, so what's the reasoning for that? For sure it's a combination of reasons, but it's safe to believe no radar is one of them.
In no way did I say that Halo would have less success without radar, but to say it would have more without is as dumb as the reverse.

Swat is popular for the same reason COD is popular, it has one shit kills, fast respawns and a high possibility for multikills, which satisfy players. Radar might be a point to its success but I highly doubt it is one of the main reasons.

Also you fight for your point in a game where just removing radar would not work, it would cause huge rebalancing in terms of automatic weapons, and spartan abilities.
The maps would have to be altered, sprint speed may have to be looked at.
You just have to realize that the better variant for H5 is a motion tracker that only shows you once you sprint, thrust, jump or spartan charge.
And this is not a point some of us make up, most pro players already tested No radar H5 with the whole sandbox and it was not fun and did not work as well. Not in 4v4 at least, cause people are way too fast around the map, call outs become wrong way too many times. 2v2s work.

Welfare

So the two cheapest Xbox One S bundles come with both MCC and Halo 5 and they are coming out August 23. Population will see a big boost over the coming months.

In no way did I say that Halo would have less success without radar, but to say it would have more without is as dumb as the reverse.
I wasn't criticizing you, I was asking you what's delusional about my post lol. Me saying it's naive to say with certainty that the population would increase was directed at Trup, Ozzy and whoever else believes that. And I said the bit about the population increasing followed up by how no side of that can be proven anyway, so it's a moot point to discuss.
Swat is popular for the same reason COD is popular, it has one shit kills, fast respawns and a high possibility for multikills, which satisfy players. Radar might be a point to its success but I highly doubt it is one of the main reasons.
I don't think it "might" be a point to its success, I think it definitely is a reason. It's one of the key differences from regular Slayer. I know a bunch of people who play SWAT because it has no radar, as I'm sure you know people who couldn't care less about the lack of radar and only play for the one-shot kills.
Also you fight for your point in a game where just removing radar would not work, it would cause huge rebalancing in terms of automatic weapons, and spartan abilities.
I disagree that there would need to be some monumental redesign of multiplayer without radar.
The maps would have to be altered,
No way.
sprint speed may have to be looked at.
Not a bad thing.
You just have to realize that the better variant for H5 is a motion tracker that only shows you once you sprint, thrust, jump or spartan charge.
I don't know how many times this has been said, but it should be common knowledge by now that most people who get involved in these discussions find this to be the fairest compromise right now. What some of us occasionally discuss is radar vs no radar though. You know, the cycle of Halo.. etc. etc.
And this is not a point some of us make up, most pro players already tested No radar H5 with the whole sandbox and it was not fun and did not work as well. Not in 4v4 at least, cause people are way too fast around the map, call outs become wrong way too many times. 2v2s work.
To my understanding, it wasn't clear cut. Trup said the other day how the pros were split on radar. And anyway, how were these tests conducted? Just a couple of days, only a few games? I don't think those short sessions hold much weight in the great radar debate.

I'm firmly in the keep radar camp. Spartan charging isn't any worse than old school double meleeing (you can miss easily) and if you can't hear and avoid those charging a ground pound well that's on you.

I really don't wanna play a game where I have to have my best team of four just so I have map awareness. And I hate the 180s I have to constantly do when there is no radar. Plus the idea of only showing up while sprinting just nerfs sprint even more. It's very balanced as is with the shield recharge.

But then again this is the 100th time I've seen this discussion on here, let alone elsewhere online.

I've learned that regardless of gametype or game I simply don't wanna play the "BRs only, no radar, no melee variants" game that some Halo fans desire. Sounds boring as hell to me. People can go back and play Halo 2 or 3 any time they want. But oh wait, those have radar. Huh.

I wasn't criticizing you, I was asking you what's delusional about my post lol. Me saying it's naive to say with certainty that the population would increase was directed at Trup, Ozzy and whoever else believes that. And I said the bit about the population increasing followed up by how no side of that can be proven anyway, so it's a moot point to discuss.

I don't think it "might" be a point to its success, I think it definitely is a reason. It's one of the key differences from regular Slayer. I know a bunch of people who play SWAT because it has no radar, as I'm sure you know people who couldn't care less about the lack of radar and only play for the one-shot kills.

I disagree that there would need to be some monumental redesign of multiplayer without radar.

No way.

Not a bad thing.

I don't know how many times this has been said, but it should be common knowledge by now that most people who get involved in these discussions find this to be the fairest compromise right now. What some of us occasionally discuss is radar vs no radar though. You know, the cycle of Halo.. etc. etc.

To my understanding, it wasn't clear cut. Trup said the other day how the pros were split on radar. And anyway, how were these tests conducted? Just a couple of days, only a few games? I don't think those short sessions hold much weight in the great radar debate.

B-b-but they were tested by pro-player senpais. so its cool to just blindly follow what the pros say.

I really don't wanna play a game where I have to have my best team of four just so I have map awareness.
Come on man lol, radar is only 18m in Arena, do you really need it to know where enemies are?
And I hate the 180s I have to constantly do when there is no radar.
This goes in line with what I say about forming bad habits. You're relying too much on radar to cover your back when enemies can crouch around or sit in an area until they see your red dot moving; you think you're safe because you don't see any red dots, which could open you up to being attacked from behind more often than you would if you had to pay more attention to your surroundings. Now imagine fighting against a coordinated team, how easy it would be for one of them to see your red dot and relay that information to their teammates. Radar empowers teams more than it helps players who aren't communicating.
I've learned that regardless of gametype or game I simply don't wanna play the "BRs only, no radar, no melee variants" game that some Halo fans desire. Sounds boring as hell to me. People can go back and play Halo 2 or 3 any time they want. But oh wait, those have radar. Huh.
No one's discussing BR's only without melees lol.. Why do you associate radar with those things as if the design is connected?
B-b-but they were tested by pro-player senpais. so its cool to just blindly follow what the pros say.
While I disagree with your tone, your points can be valid. Just because a pro player holds an opinion on something does not mean it's the de facto way that thing should be designed. Don't some pros want BR starts? :\

I'm sorry but you shouldn't get banned for quitting out of a 3v4 Strongholds game. It's just wasting everyone's time. Take a page out of Overwatch's book on how to deal with quitters 343.

I'm sorry but you shouldn't get banned for quitting out of a 3v4 Strongholds game. It's just wasting everyone's time. Take a page out of Overwatch's book on how to deal with quitters 343.

or how a match will automatically end if there aren't enough players at the start or if someone leaves in the first few seconds.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So today I come across this player who just stands by the wall. I do a spartan charge on him and intend to finish him with an easy shot. He's not moving so
I can't miss the SC... BAM!! . . . nothing, no effect on the guy. Like he is immune to the SC. So I shoot, but it's too late. Here's what it looked like in a replay.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Chittagong/video/19959374

I don't even.

BizzyBum

FireFight Daily Win Req Pack plz...

PBkdKng.png

Also, WTF happened to my melee here? Please excuse my shit aim.

http://xboxclips.com/BizzyBum/42021d57-6699-4181-a5a3-2b1e43c97cda

So today I come across this player who just stands by the wall. I do a spartan charge on him and intend to finish him with an easy shot. He's not moving so
I can't miss the SC... BAM!! . . . nothing, no effect on the guy. Like he is immune to the SC. So I shoot, but it's too late. Here's what it looked like in a replay.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Chittagong/video/19959374

I don't even.

It appears the server sent you back without counting your SC, to me it looks like you teleported back 10 feet as the dedis reset your position. You may have lost connection for a moment so the player appears still? Something like that.

I've had similar, just last night, skip to 13secs - perfect ground pound I'd say, only dropped the shields:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/61cd1c52-712c-4fd2-bdce-0a0cc8d0a77f

Also this cracks me up at low solo Plat level in slayer, same game as above. I couldn't stop laughing I got away with this shit. Still no rank up, we lost 49v50 this game:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/f073f9f9-5bca-4e8d-b2ed-aeca754a28ca

Chittagong

Gold Member
It appears the server sent you back without counting your SC, to me it looks like you teleported back 10 feet as the dedis reset your position. You may have lost connection for a moment so the player appears still? Something like that.

I've had similar, just last night, skip to 13secs - perfect ground pound I'd say, only dropped the shields:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/61cd1c52-712c-4fd2-bdce-0a0cc8d0a77f

Also this cracks me up at low solo Plat level in slayer, same game as above. I couldn't stop laughing I got away with this shit. Still no rank up, we lost 49v50 this game:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/f073f9f9-5bca-4e8d-b2ed-aeca754a28ca

Wow, that slam. As if crap team mates weren't challenge enough on low Plats, hits not hitting is pretty rough.

Last clip is amazing, haha. Live that feel of just somehow mashing your way through a tight spot.

Come on man lol, radar is only 18m in Arena, do you really need it to know where enemies are?

This goes in line with what I say about forming bad habits. You're relying too much on radar to cover your back when enemies can crouch around or sit in an area until they see your red dot moving; you think you're safe because you don't see any red dots, which could open you up to being attacked from behind more often than you would if you had to pay more attention to your surroundings. Now imagine fighting against a coordinated team, how easy it would be for one of them to see your red dot and relay that information to their teammates. Radar empowers teams more than it helps players who aren't communicating.

No one's discussing BR's only without melees lol.. Why do you associate radar with those things as if the design is connected?

While I disagree with your tone, your points can be valid. Just because a pro player holds an opinion on something does not mean it's the de facto way that thing should be designed. Don't some pros want BR starts? :\

My tone is simply one of annoyance. It's been five numbered games and how my spinoffs now? All of which had radar. If we are as you say "forming bad habits" it's both bungies and 343s fault at this point. All games have radar and if you were to change that, for say Halo 6, it would be a slap in the face to all those who play this game for this basic structure. Shields, the shooting/melee/nades trifecta, radar, solid vehicle vs infantry gameplay, all of these make Halo what it is. To take away one of those is to fundamentally change the game people have played for 15 years.

Remember how people fumed over the fiveshot BR before Halo 4 turbo was updated? Imagine that anger a thousand times over if radar was removed. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic when I say the forums would have more players wanting it back than the amount of people who want it adjusted or removed.

And to your point of it being an 18meter radar, yes I do need it. I close the gap far more frequently than other players, you know that. Shit it could be 10meters and I'd still find a use for it. It's not always for callouts or sweet ninja tricks. As a sword guy I can't tell you how many times I've rushed a room of four enemies and was able to attack in the correct order simply because I knew who was the closest enemy that was next in line. It lets you see outside of the scope of the helmet and to take that away would severely weaken a player like me who enjoys (and plays well with) getting close.

Thus that gets me back to my anti BR fest rant. You take radar away and force someone like me to have to play the same as everyone else. If I can't see that someone's above the vent I'm going to use that makes ground pounds less likely. If I'm holding hallways but don't have any radar I'm circling around like a madman and that makes things like Spartan charges almost useless. If I'm playing defense, or even offense and don't have the awareness that radar allows after grabbing a flag your forced to give up those game saving ninjas and your no longer nearly as self sufficient.

I know how you feel about this, and I don't expect to change your mind. Regardless, this is the Halo I've learned to play over years. And perhaps simply because I was originally more of an FFA player I cannot fathom making the individual player weaker. Yes it may reward team play differently but if these changes were going to be made they should have been made earlier in the series lifespan. Or perhaps Halo 4 when 343 made their debut, but I can only imagine how the fan base would have responded. But now, radar is a part of what Halo is, and I simply don't want to play a variant that takes away what I consider part of the series same as the pistol or BR.

Taking it away would be like taking out my sword. I wouldn't want to play this any more.

The stance of "Halo was always designed this way, so it should remain like that" doesn't really make much sense because there have been rather drastic changes between each Halo game (sprint, dual weapons, equipment, armor abilities, spartan abilities, loadouts, REQ's, perks, ADS, different jump heights, walk speeds, etc.). I don't think removing or altering the radar would have much of an impact in the grand scheme of things; I think it would help the meta game. The other things you're arguing, like saying how Spartan Charge would be useless, I think those in favor of radar would actually argue the opposite, how no radar would make Spartan Charge more prevalent, a concern I agree with. Again, fair compromise = sound/spartan ability-based radar.

And you know damn well you'd still play Halo if they removed radar. Halo 5's gameplay is too good.. What would you do, go back to TMCC Halo 4? lol

The stance of "Halo was always designed this way, so it should remain like that" doesn't really make much sense because there have been rather drastic changes between each Halo game (sprint, dual weapons, equipment, armor abilities, spartan abilities, loadouts, REQ's, perks, ADS, different jump heights, walk speeds, etc.). I don't think removing or altering the radar would have much of an impact in the grand scheme of things; I think it would help the meta game. The other things you're arguing, like saying how Spartan Charge would be useless, I think those in favor of radar would actually argue the opposite, how no radar would make Spartan Charge more prevalent, a concern I agree with. Again, fair compromise = sound/spartan ability-based radar.

And you know damn well you'd still play Halo if they removed radar. Halo 5's gameplay is too good.. What would you do, go back to TMCC Halo 4? lol

Heh there's always Pokemon. And to your point of spartan charge it's hard to tell if it'd be more or less prevalent. That could go either way.

And yes there have been a ton of changes, shit my favorite Halo (Reach) had the most drastic of them all. But you know what it still had? Radar. All those other things have come and gone. And while radar has been adjusted its never not been there. I'm open to adjusting it in certain ways but I still stand firm that it weakens the individual for (perhaps) the benefit of the team.

Removing it would really help players that stay out of the fray, and punish those who close the gap.

Like I said if literally any Halo had not had radar earlier in the series perhaps this argument would have validation but it's far too late to get rid of it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Grunt mech has a weak spot or glitch? I've taken him out several times with a single shot.

you can damage the "helmet" and shoot the blue (pink?) fire/sparky area. definitely not a one shot kill, but does give you critical hit hitmarkers

Like I said if literally any Halo had not had radar earlier in the series perhaps this argument would have validation but it's far too late to get rid of it.
For the thousands of hours I put into CE, I rarely ever played it with a radar, and you're disregarding custom games from later games. If you played competitive Halo from 1-4, you played them without radar. The argument is silly bruh, what you define as Halo may not be what another defines Halo as.

On a tangent, you brought up Reach: What are your thoughts on having another marketing push for TMCC if 343 decides to fix its issues and include Reach as an incentive to attract people? It'd be great if they offered it for free to those who got ODST for free and $5 for anyone else. New purchases of TMCC would have it included. Maybe even go a step further and offer H5's multiplayer for free with new purchases of TMCC as well, $10-20 as a standalone.

The Flash

Banned
They've got to give Reach the 1080p/60fps treatment at some point. It'd be such a glaring omission since they're releasing a definitive edition of Halo Wars. It'd be the only Halo not natively supported on the XB1.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They've got to give Reach the 1080p/60fps treatment at some point. It'd be such a glaring omission since they're releasing a definitive edition of Halo Wars. It'd be the only Halo not natively supported on the XB1.

I like the Reach campaign a lot and would welcome this.

Would like to see that happen eventually. Even an ODST treatment, with just the campaign.

I feel like an asshat bringing it up again but E3 came and went with no news about the Spielberg Halo TV series...again.

Dad or Mum? You decide.

Top Bottom