• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Karl2177

Great clip.

Just posting to say how much I love multi team, still love the menu music and thoroughly loathe Torque. No excuse for that map to be in the game when the excellent Stasis does the job so much better.
It's probably too niche, but Torque works really well with SWAT. I'd be interested to see if there's some link between some maps and how they perform in relation to the kill time.

I think the best thing they could so with spartan charge is just straight up remove the auto aim.

Making it require even a modicum of skill would massively improve it.

I was basically thinking it could be turned into a short-range Shinespark, or a lateral ground-pound of sorts: disable autoaim, while sprinting hit the button, brief windup period, then it fires you forward, dealing damage when you impact something.

BradC00

I might stop playing if they don't fix matching against to4 as a solo player. this shit is dumb as fuck going up against non stop teams. I know there's 7 other dudes playing solo, why am I not being matched against them?

sweet now I'm playing against 2gre and EG>

Not sure if it's 100% official, but 2gre was streaming with an EG shirt running games with Roy and Lunchbox. Seemed pretty obvious. lol

I was just lurking Beyond to see what they were saying about team changes and I didn't see any mention of 2gre joining EG. Would be cool to see him back though. People were saying EG could be RoyBox, Ninja, and Naded. But that NV squad of Mikwen, Ola, Snipedown, and Huke sounds awesome.

belushy

Banned
Comparison of MLG Orlando Open and ESL's HCS Season 1 Finals Analyst desks.

(from beyond)
28e7eac16bba2a066e5258b3b91999ea.jpg

BradC00

Comparison of MLG Orlando Open and ESL's HCS Season 1 Finals Analyst desks.

(from beyond)

pretty sad.

MS couldn't give them some Surface's for their notes?

The maid couldn't have ironed the bed sheet?

The cam name overlays were using the EU ones for a match or two.

They could have streamed the first two regulation matches, considering there were only 8 teams total in the two tournaments.

Oh, and the trophy for US was garbage, even compared to the EU one.

It's so many small mistakes. And they really need to start pumping out some developer quality maps. The base game is so good but it doesn't matter when half the maps can't even be used in HCS because they are trash for competitive. Why even make maps that can't be used for competitive play?!?

belushy

Banned
CoD has Puckett while we have Simms and Gaskin... Think about that for a second...

Halo has no really good commentators right now, it really sucks. Tsquared is getting better. If I was ESL/343 I'd have him and try their best to get Walshy back in the booth.

Glass

I mean, I get the impression ESL is a lot smaller an organisation then MLG right?

I'm guessing there was no way for Halo to carry on with MLG after they were acquired by Activision, which is a big shame, what with their history together.

BradC00

I mean, I get the impression ESL is a lot smaller an organisation then MLG right?

I'm guessing there was no way for Halo to carry on with MLG after they were acquired by Activision, which is a big shame, what with their history together.

MLGAdam said they were never contacted by 343i or MS. He says they would do it.

IHaveIce

Banned

ESL is around for years in Europe and were THE company to run CS tourneys and leagues.

belushy

Banned
The ideal set up would be the ESL pro league with actual lans to go to for the players (via MLG and others) periodically. Say, after the mid point of the season there is a two week break for an MLG open LAN tournament (oh hey we need LAN thats right.......)

edit: I just hope when H6 comes it is released on PC too. Then the "lol console shooter" stigma might lift and Halo just might actually grow.

jem0208

Watching Ninja play with RoyBox and Naded and they're talking about how to communicate so it's looking like this is the new EG squad.

Roybox is just trying out Naded and Ninja at the moment.

The ideal set up would be the ESL pro league with actual lans to go to for the players (via MLG and others) periodically. Say, after the mid point of the season there is a two week break for an MLG open LAN tournament (oh hey we need LAN thats right.......)

edit: I just hope when H6 comes it is released on PC too. Then the "lol console shooter" stigma might lift and Halo just might actually grow.

I wonder what's going to happen with the HCS if H6 releases on PC. Halo is very much designed around the limitations of the controller, playing with m/kb could cause some big shifts at a high level.

Random*, but regarding Spartan Charge - I had some ideas on how to implement a balanced version of it, but in terms of the actual damage it can deal, would you guys rather it:

- Do persistent damage over time as the player lunges, sort of like Mewtwo's neutral-aerial in Smash Bros.
- Only be able to hit a single target for damage (more or less its current incarnation)
- Have an AOE-type impact at the end similar to Ground Pound, but obviously weaker and with less range

Or some combination of the three?
Less range/magnetism would probably be best. Persistent damage and an AOE trait would reward misses, but the AOE could be cool if you collided with a wall. And nice Smash reference btw.
Great clip.
Thanks. Inching towards that Bubble Shield was tense lol, and that ending was the cherry on top.

TMCC is so damn fun when mixed in with Halo 5, but only when it works.

belushy

Banned
Roybox is just trying out Naded and Ninja at the moment.

I wonder what's going to happen with the HCS if H6 releases on PC. Halo is very much designed around the limitations of the controller, playing with m/kb could cause some big shifts at a high level.

Either the scene will have to shift completely to PC, or force controllers on PC. Both have pros and cons but forcing controllers is probably the best since it means Xbox and PC can play together and hopefully that means more teams competing.

edit: and of course this just refers to the competitive side of things. Hopefully there is still mouse and keyboard playlists.

Either the scene will have to shift completely to PC, or force controllers on PC. Both have pros and cons but forcing controllers is probably the best since it means Xbox and PC can play together and hopefully that means more teams competing.

edit: and of course this just refers to the competitive side of things. Hopefully there is still mouse and keyboard playlists.

Competitive Halo will probably stay on Xbox. Pretty sure that's what is happening with Gears 4.

Sorry, but the Spartan charge isn't that bad, if you keep getting caught you need to get better at avoiding it.

Be aware, watch your radar, most of the time you see it coming then it's time to react.
Thrust out of the way, either to the side or jumping back thrust.

Avoid it and you have the advantage.

If you don't avoid it make sure you get a melee in yourself as it does the same damage, if they are weak (shoot them as they sprint at you) you will get the kill, if they aren't weak its a matter of beating them to the no shield kill.

A charger cannot shoot on approach and their action is predictable, plus they can easily miss heir target... All this for standard melee damage.

I'm not a good player, but I eat chargers for breakfast man.

Been busy so had most of the week off playing halo 5, kinda thought I was burnt out, not sure if I was done?

Decided to play a few games today though, triple team slayer... Had a ball man, no other game comes close imo.
I love the movement and traversal, I love a good ninja and I especially love a beastly ground pound or mid air Spartan charge.

Halo 5 multi is sublime!

Trup1aya

Sorry, but the Spartan charge isn't that bad, if you keep getting caught you need to get better at avoiding it.

Be aware, watch your radar, most of the time you see it coming then it's time to react.
Thrust out of the way, either to the side or jumping back thrust.

Avoid it and you have the advantage.

If you don't avoid it make sure you get a melee in yourself as it does the same damage, if they are weak (shoot them as they sprint at you) you will get the kill, if they aren't weak its a matter of beating them to the no shield kill.

A charger cannot shoot on approach and their action is predictable, plus they can easily miss heir target... All this for standard melee damage.

I'm not a good player, but I eat chargers for breakfast man.

Spartan charge is BS, at all levels of play. The range is ridiculous as is the turning radius.

This should not be a part of Halo... At least not in its current form. It's indefensible.

what turning radius? can you turn mid charge?

I didn't even know this, I do my turning on approach... it's a good way to finish off a weak opponent who's hiding around a corner.

Trup1aya

what turning radius? can you turn mid charge?

I didn't even know this, I do my turning on approach... it's a good way to finish off a weak opponent who's hiding around a corner.

Maybe turning radius isn't the best word to describe it, but you can use cheese the autoaim to get well over 90deg. it's trash

Top Bottom