• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Trup1aya

Receipts for bolded? I've often had the opposite experience.

I don't have receipts, cause I rarely use it or have it successfully used on me, but I'm sure I can find the frame data and post it. After a successful Spartan charge, both players are staggered, but the charger regains control first.

It is the opposite experience. The charger can't fire until the animation has finished and the camera has snapped back to first person while there is no time that the chargee is stopped from firing.

Here's my thoughts on the subject from earlier in the thread:

Not true. The person who is hit by the Spartan charge gets knocked back, and can't fire for just longer than the charger.

yeah I use it when getting from A to B (between slide boosts), or to make a longer jump without using my thrust (just in case).

i'm not so sure the charger gets the first shot when you melee, then still have to go through that funny animation before shooting.

anyway, I have 2 examples where I comfortably kill chargers.

the first is probably the safest way to avoid being hit, thrust back and they don't get close.
as you can see it's predictable because he's sprinting, I was ready it.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Blood GuIch/video/20352457

the next is one where I didn't have as much time to react as he comes from around the corner, but I smacked that bitch because I got a couple of shots in... sit down Matty Bix! (he's a mate from way back).
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Blood GuIch/video/20352694

I don't want 343 to nerf it, I want people to use it because it's usually goes in my favour :)

I want 343 to nerf it because it requires no skill currently. It pisses me off most in "clean up" situations. Previously, one found himself in a 2v1 or engaged by someone prior to getting a chance to recover his shields, superior footwork and gun skill would allow him a CHANCE to come out on top.

In Halo 5, the second opponent can just Spartan Charge. it takes all skill out of the equation.

Edit: aha here is how people are able to get a ridiculous turn radius w/ Spartan charge.

I don't have receipts, cause I rarely use it or have it successfully used on me, but I'm sure I can find the frame data and post it. After a successful Spartan charge, both players are staggered, but the charger regains control first.
Could you please? I'd appreciate it.

Not true. The person who is hit by the Spartan charge gets knocked back, and can't fire for just longer than the charger.
I mean, I just don't see any break in my ability to melee or shoot the charger... Does your voice come out of your anus? Or do you actually have "frame data"?

I want 343 to nerf it because it requires no skill currently. It pisses me off most in "clean up" situations. Previously, one found himself in a 2v1 or engaged by someone prior to getting a chance to recover his shields, superior footwork and gun skill would allow him a CHANCE to come out on top.

In Halo 5, the second opponent can just Spartan Charge. it takes all skill out of the equation.

1) That's obviously not the case since people miss with it all the time and it's very situational.
2) That's still the case, perhaps more so than in any Halo game since 2.
3) And you can just counter/avoid it. Not buying what you're selling, bruh.

Trup1aya

Could you please? I'd appreciate it.

I mean, I just don't see any break in my ability to melee or shoot the charger... Does your voice come out of your anus? Or do you actually have "frame data"?

1) That's obviously not the case since people miss with it all the time and it's very situational.
2) That's still the case, perhaps more so than in any Halo game since 2.
3) And you can just counter/avoid it. Not buying what you're selling, bruh.

Why are you an asshole?

There's no issue with meleeing a Spartan charger simultaneously, but if you get knocked back, your recoil will take longer.

Looks to me like you didn't get knocked back in this instance to due network shit. I'm putting my infant back to sleep, but I'll find you some stuff later...

Just because people miss and/or avoid SCs occasionally doesnt mean the mechanic requires skill...

Why are you an asshole?

Looks to me like you didn't get knocked back in this instance to do network shit. I'm putting my infant back to sleep, but I'll find you some stuff later...

I'm not. I've not had the experience you have.

I did get knocked back. Notice I thrusted forward to prevent falling off of the map? Which I did immediately after killing the charger with a Snipunch? It's almost like I had complete control the whole time...

EDIT: Here's another. This time, I don't do anything until after the charge. Still complete control.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can't wait. I listened to the latest Listen In podcast today and it was really good. Lethal and Snakebite were on it. The stories about Frosty were great.

Frosty stories were nuts. Strongside and I were in the podcast room looking at each other like, wtf? lol

jem0208

Remove or massively reduce the auto aim and remove the third person animation and spartan charge would be alright.

Currently it’s pretty much a skill-less mechanic who’s only slightly positive addition is the extra mini forwards thrust you can do with it.

Can someone who’s defending spartan charge actually explain how it improves the game? Beyond encouraging people to just sprint around everywhere and into combat without a thought for tactics at all.

Trup1aya

I'm not. I've not had the experience you have.

I did get knocked back. Notice I thrusted forward to prevent falling off of the map? Which I did immediately after killing the charger with a Snipunch? It's almost like I had complete control the whole time...

EDIT: Here's another. This time, I don't do anything until after the charge. Still complete control.

Right we have differing experiences about this. So Why would you accuse me of "talking out of my ass?"

Why would I make some shit up when everyone is capable of playing the game and seeing for themselves?

I'd love to know that I'm wrong on this, and it's all some fucked up shit on my end. For example, I didn't notice, nor did I ever consider thrusting forward after getting charged.

Like I said, I don't personally have any footage, because it rarely happens to me and I don't usually sprint into combat unless I know the enemy is weak enough to die from the charge.

So I'm looking around online for footage and seeing some people complain about the time it takes to shoot after being charged, while others are saying has no effect on their controls, so something strange is definately at play. I don't think people are making shit up.

Watching that last clip you posted almost makes me feel like we are playing two different games. If that was my experience, I'd probably never complain about the mechanic.

Edit: I'm just gonna concede that the issue is on my end. I tried to make a video, but after 45min of trying to get people to Spartan charge me, I have no way of proving that I couldn't shoot (it just looks like I'm not shooting)... For what it's worth, I tried it a second time, an was able to thrust melee, so I probably could have shot that time. Oh well.

Trup1aya

The story of my life in fucking BIG TEAM STRONGHOLDS YOU FUCKS THERE'S ALMOST NO REASON TO TRIPLE CAP WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

Like, go for two of them. Go for the easiest two to defend. It's not hard to figure out which two. Boulevard? Taxi and Red Bend. Fuck Blue, they can keep Blue. Standoff? Either base and mid. The map that's like Wreckage but good? Top whatever and the one almost right under it. Entombed? Red and Trench. Shit isn't fucking rocket science, randies.

"B-but senpai we need blue base for the triple c-"

FUCK THE TRIPLE CAP. If you run them out of Blue then they'll just spawn at Red and fucking steal it from right under our noses while we're defending whatever the neutral point is because NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND is going to fucking follow you to the other base because THEY KNOW that it'd flip the spawns. You fucking idiots. It's infinitely worse on aysmmetrical maps like Entombed and Boulevard because if they cap Red Bend on either of them then they have infinitely easier access to Taxi/Trench, which is infinitely harder to defend from Blue. So if a randy goes for the triple cap then there's a 75-90% chance that they'll get the script flipped on them in such a way as to GIVE THE ENEMY TEAM A TRIPLE CAP. ONE GUY can fuck it up for the entire team almost instantly and infinitely because they and they alone get greedy.

It's happened to us more than once in a full party of moderately semi-competent players.

And while I'm here fuck all of you people that don't go for Monument either ironically or out of incompetence. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you. I didn't know your opening gambit was to drop your pants and start lubing up so you can get fucked for 18 minutes.

Yeah I don't play BTB much. I imagine that lack of skill and coordination would make a successful trip-cap a rarity.

It's perfectly fine for 4v4 though, with a decent team. You just shouldnt overextend unless your team has numbers.

Just remember the mechanics and experiences with them differ based on latency of players in the encounters. Sometimes your data is used and other times it's a server choice or enemy override etc.

This is why melee/SC has long been a thorn in online gaming. That's without even going into network prediction and approximation routines, from what I understand about it.

Nowise10

yeah I use it when getting from A to B (between slide boosts), or to make a longer jump without using my thrust (just in case).

i'm not so sure the charger gets the first shot when you melee, then still have to go through that funny animation before shooting.

anyway, I have 2 examples where I comfortably kill chargers.

the first is probably the safest way to avoid being hit, thrust back and they don't get close.
as you can see it's predictable because he's sprinting, I was ready it.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Blood GuIch/video/20352457

the next is one where I didn't have as much time to react as he comes from around the corner, but I smacked that bitch because I got a couple of shots in... sit down Matty Bix! (he's a mate from way back).
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Blood GuIch/video/20352694

I don't want 343 to nerf it, I want people to use it because it's usually goes in my favour :)

I don't know if its because you just don't play enough, or you aren't a high enough rank to play with players that use SC "effectively", but just because you have two clips of you killing someone who spartan charge doesn't somehow make it balanced and not a gimmick. Yes, I have killed people who have tried to spartan charge me countless times. But I've also been killed because of Spartan charge as well, in a situation where the charger had no control over other then he was sprinting blindly. For example, in your 2nd clip, if you have been shot ONCE by any gun from a different player or previous battle, the other player would have won. He would have won because he blindly ran through a hallway and you were unfortunate enough to be their when he was sprinting.

We've seen PRO players complain about it, people complain about it on Reddit, Twitter, streams, NeoGaf. Do you really somehow think people just "don't know how to dodge!" is the reason people think it doesn't belong in the game?

Akai__

Spartan Charge is the only ability I dislike. It's straight up cheap and reminds me of those idiots that used to Sprint + Double Punch in Reach. Game could do without it.

New envyUs squad looks promising - Snip3down, Ola, Mikwen, Huke. They wrecked potential ALG team last night most of the games. Sad if Snip3down is really leaving Roy and Lunchbox though. End of an era.

belushy

Banned
I'm more surprised at Huke leaving E6 to be honest. That team looked pretty good. Cratos was the only bad factor but that is just because he is inconsistent as a player. Shooter was going off at the tournament.

I hope Shooter finds a good team. nV should compete with CLG eventually but I wouldn't be surprised if they look bad at the beginning.

Right we have differing experiences about this. So Why would you accuse me of "talking out of my ass?"

Why would I make some shit up when everyone is capable of playing the game and seeing for themselves?
Maybe not "making shit up" per se, but isn't GAF supposed to be about facts and evidence prevailing? I mentioned talking out your ass because it seemed so opposite my *evidenced* experience. One of my favorite rules of thumb (credit to AronRa) is "If you can't show it, you don't know it."

I'd love to know that I'm wrong on this, and it's all some fucked up shit on my end. For example, I didn't notice, nor did I ever consider thrusting forward after getting charged.

For what it's worth, I tried it a second time, an was able to thrust melee, so I probably could have shot that time. Oh well.
I mean, it's entirely possible that your internet just isn't conducive to clean play. Or you have slower reaction times. Or something to do with control schemes. Who knows? But I don't see it as the state of the game that I'm playing.

Yeah I don't play BTB much. I imagine that lack of skill and coordination would make a successful trip-cap a rarity.

It's perfectly fine for 4v4 though, with a decent team. You just shouldnt overextend unless your team has numbers.

We've had a full party and still have to remind decent players not to trip cap in BTB unless the other team is dog shit. In Arena it is an effective strategy on many maps, especially if your team can keep rotating. But the thing with Strongholds, as a gametype, is that the bigger the map gets, the less advantageous getting all the strongholds becomes.

I don't know if its because you just don't play enough, or you aren't a high enough rank to play with players that use SC "effectively", but just because you have two clips of you killing someone who spartan charge doesn't somehow make it balanced and not a gimmick. Yes, I have killed people who have tried to spartan charge me countless times. But I've also been killed because of Spartan charge as well, in a situation where the charger had no control over other then he was sprinting blindly. For example, in your 2nd clip, if you have been shot ONCE by any gun from a different player or previous battle, the other player would have won. He would have won because he blindly ran through a hallway and you were unfortunate enough to be their when he was sprinting.

We've seen PRO players complain about it, people complain about it on Reddit, Twitter, streams, NeoGaf. Do you really somehow think people just "don't know how to dodge!" is the reason people think it doesn't belong in the game?

I think the reason people complain (for the most part) isn't because they don't know how to dodge, but rather that they didn't dodge. When you get caught off guard by SC, it's embarrassing/annoying. I'd argue the knockback is the one part that I would tweak. I think that's unnecessary and would agree with the naysayers on that point. But implying that skill is the only reason someone wouldn't be bothered by SC is stupid (and I'd consider myself a counter to that assertion).

I mean, if it wasn't a thing, people would still just thrust+melee. I only spartan charge because of company commendations at this point. There's few situations where it's the correct play.

I wish the clips of me killing the guy charging, seeing his body fall, and still getting hit by it were still on xboxdvr.
I remember the clip, but that's just an example of a poopy server, wouldn't you say?

Edit: I see Rag's continuing his time-honored tradition of shitposting and having nothing to say in a driveby

Trup1aya

Maybe not "making shit up" per se, but isn't GAF supposed to be about facts and evidence prevailing? I mentioned talking out your ass because it seemed so opposite my *evidenced* experience. One of my favorite rules of thumb (credit to AronRa) is "If you can't show it, you don't know it."

I mean, it's entirely possible that your internet just isn't conducive to clean play. Or you have slower reaction times. Or something to do with control schemes. Who knows? But I don't see it as the state of the game that I'm playing.

Holy shit man, minutes after me saying I was going to try to round up and post footage, you accused me of "talking out of my ass". I don't record clips generally and it was like 2am for me on a work night, so I needed to get out of bed and find or create the footage.

It's perfectly fine that you are stating that you have a different experience, but you should at least let someone try to produce the receipts before you shift into asshole mode. I'm not sure if there's something being lost in translation, but saying someone is talking out of their ass is calling them a liar. Which I think is unneccisary at this point.

Like I said, after about an Hr of play, I was able to recreate both your and my experience, but video can't prove that I was unable to fire after being charge. It just looks like a guy not shooting.

We've had a full party and still have to remind decent players not to trip cap in BTB unless the other team is dog shit. In Arena it is an effective strategy on many maps, especially if your team can keep rotating. But the thing with Strongholds, as a gametype, is that the bigger the map gets, the less advantageous getting all the strongholds becomes.

Yeah I can see it being pointless in BTB. Even if you have numbers, what are the chances you can get to the 3rd stronghold before the next spawn cycle?

I'm not sure if there's something being lost in translation, but saying someone is talking out of their ass is calling them a liar
No. It's saying they're talking about something without anything to back it up. Lying implies intent.

I don't think it's unfair to assume that some footage or YouTube video analysis or w/e exists when one brings up "frame data". I wasn't suggesting you get out of bed and play for hours to get the footage you'd need to make your point. I'm open to having my mind changed.

I'm also open to functional debates and disagreements about the gameplay and philosophy ideas behind SC and I understand that some people will just have different opinions on the subject, but when we're talking about actual mechanics, we're then debating fact, not opinion.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok seriously either 343 is lying abut the player numbers or this ranking system is utter garbage, before reset I was a high Plat or low diamond in Arena, didn't played for weeks on this acc.

Now I wanna play Arena and my placements matches all consist of playing against high diamonds and Onyx people in every game.

I'm so sick of this nonsense

Ok seriously either 343 is lying abut the player numbers or this ranking system is utter garbage, before reset I was a high Plat or low diamond in Arena, didn't played for weeks on this acc.

Now I wanna play Arena and my placements matches all consist of playing against high diamonds and Onyx people in every game.

I'm so sick of this nonsense
It could be the case that they were lower ranked last season and just to Onyx I dunno.

I do notice that there's a lot of players who don't deserve Onyx this season. I've never been Onyx once in Team Arena yet, but I get matched in games where I'm literally the only diamond and all the other players are onyx...except...they were all garbo players

I know it's probably just a matter of "Get gud", but I really hate the magnum on this game. It's super strong and I constantly get killed long range from people using it. I can't aim with it for shit and it just isn't something I like using.

Trup1aya

No. It's saying they're talking about something without anything to back it up. Lying implies intent.

I don't think it's unfair to assume that some footage or YouTube video analysis or w/e exists when one brings up "frame data". I wasn't suggesting you get out of bed and play for hours to get the footage you'd need to make your point. I'm open to having my mind changed.

I'm also open to functional debates and disagreements about the gameplay and philosophy ideas behind SC and I understand that some people will just have different opinions on the subject, but when we're talking about actual mechanics, we're then debating fact, not opinion.

You didn't have to assume anything. I literally told you I was going to try to find some support and post it. So it was really just a rude comment for you to make. You said 'please do', then moments later suggested I was making it up. Just an unneccisary order of events.

its not like I was ever AGAINST bringing in supporting evidence. Its your remarks while I was actively trying to find/create supporting video.

I know it's probably just a matter of "Get gud", but I really hate the magnum on this game. It's super strong and I constantly get killed long range from people using it. I can't aim with it for shit and it just isn't something I like using.

Yeah, definately a 'get gud' thing. If the magnum was any less effective, the backlash would be unbearable: people generally want to spawn with a weapon that is atleast serviceable in most situations. That's the magnums roll. It's not the best at anything, but it's useful for just about anything.

Played against the GOAT a little bit ago. My team got rekt, but I killed him the most!

Screenshot-Original.png

My Halo career has been made.

You didn't have to assume anything. I literally told you I was going to try to find some support and post it. So it was really just a rude comment for you to make. You said 'please do', then moments later suggested I was making it up. Just an unneccisary order of events.

Dude. It was literally like 3 hours after asking if you had any evidence. Then another 30 minutes after you mentioned what sounded like potentially available "frame data". You made it sound like someone had already done some analysis or whatever in favor of your side of the argument. How was I or anyone else supposed to know you were talking about getting new footage on the spot in the middle of the discussion? All while continuing to flat out insist that I and others were just plain wrong (again, without evidence or reason in your favor)? Give me a goddamn break and get over it.

Unless you've got something to actually show or point to for the topic of the discussion (SC), I'm sorry but I don't see how a colloquialism that accurately described the state of affairs is a big deal, and I'm done with this conversation. If you really really want to keep going on that point, put it in PMs.

Everyone says Halo 5 has a lot of ugly helmets, but everyone has a different sense of which ones are ugly.

Seeker looks like a space-age Kuerig machine, but not space-age in the futuristic sense, space-age as in launched into space in hopes of inflicting its ageless horrors on another race.

...but video can't prove that I was unable to fire after being charge. It just looks like a guy not shooting...

One thing I've been curious about with H5 dedis is the saved films feature. Does it come from your local Xbox version of the game or does it come from the post server decisions version of the game. Obviously previous P2P based games you could compare P2P videos from two different player's version of the games, something that really highlighted shit like being sniped through walls on the pit.

I'm curious when I see the "bookmark film" feature on Waypoint and it makes me think it's all server side e.g. API for Xboxclips or XboxDVR etc. It's never recording your version of events?

Any 343 staffer care to confirm my guess?

Chittagong

Gold Member
One thing I've been curious about with H5 dedis is the saved films feature. Does it come from your local Xbox version of the game or does it come from the post server decisions version of the game. Obviously previous P2P based games you could compare P2P videos from two different player's version of the games, something that really highlighted shit like being sniped through walls on the pit.

I'm curious when I see the "bookmark film" feature on Waypoint and it makes me think it's all server side e.g. API for Xboxclips or XboxDVR etc. It's never recording your version of events?

Any 343 staffer care to confirm my guess?

It posts the server version, I have that one film where my SC foes no damage although it was bang on in my view, film shows I miss by meters and teleport backwards.

Karl2177

I remember the clip, but that's just an example of a poopy server, wouldn't you say?

Which clip did you see, the on Overgrowth, Coliseum, Riptide, or one of the non-SWAT ones? To me the fact that it's happened that much says that there's some kind of technical problem (likely with how much delay can a user have on an ability that the game will still register it) with it that could be remedied. I have my personal "balances" to it, but those are whatever. Not like they'll be seen by anyone who can make a difference.

Halo 3 Scout might be the ugliest helmet of all time.
FUNWRONG at it again. Will he ever stop?

Everyone says Halo 5 has a lot of ugly helmets, but everyone has a different sense of which ones are ugly.

Halo 5 has a lot of uggos, it's got a few beauts. It's also got a lot of slightly different variations of the same helmet that annoy the fuck out of you when you've unlocked the Athlon helmet or armor for the 20th time.

i'm not saying those 2 clips prove you wrong, it's simply 2 examples of ways to deal with chargers... both clips are from my last game, I get these battles all the time and it's to my benefit.

also, you need more than 1 shot on you for a charger to finish you off... unless you've been sniped of course.
the odds are against someone who sprints around looking to charge.

I dunno man, i'd hate to see it go because I kill those fuckers for fun, and I LOVE a good mid jump charge myself... it looks awesome!

I think 343 should remove grenades, takes no skill, makes it hard for me to hide while my shields recharge.

I admit I have played it only a handful of times since Overwatch was released. Just give us Forge maps in matchmaking holy shit, there's so many good ones.

Is support from 343 absolutely done now?

The monthly updates are done. They'll continue to "support" the game though. I know Frankie mentioned that they are working on some updates about a page or so back.

Madness

H5 has a lot of ugly helmets but I feel like it also has a lot of really good looking ones too.

The best are the ones based off of the old games in my opinions or the one off specialized ones they designed that they knew would be a hit like Achilles. Otherwise I feel like their armor and helmet designer just dialled a lot of them in. Certainly not as bad as H4 which some were just stupid dots and lines. I like the helmets that have decent shapes and decrnt visors most, the ones that resemble the helmets of old or something you would see as a motorcycle or BMX helmet.

Fuchsdh

Halo 5 has a lot of uggos, it's got a few beauts. It's also got a lot of slightly different variations of the same helmet that annoy the fuck out of you when you've unlocked the Athlon helmet or armor for the 20th time.

Yeah I really don't know why they didn't collapse stack the variants. I like them, but they're just visual noise when you're sorting through options.

mo60

Anyone here noticing any weird spikes while playing halo 5 online. I haven't been able to play halo 5 as much as I like lately because everything single time I try to play anything in halo 5 online after a few matches my latency skyrockets to a really high number and it's impossible to even shoot enemy players or move anywere.

Top Bottom