• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Fedelias

Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up an Xbone S today for Halo 5 and I had a few questions. (For reference, I was a huge fan of 3 and Reach but 4 lost me)

How is the population compared to the first year of Reach? How is the multiplayer's staying power compared to other Halos (I got bored within ~50 hours of 4 but could play Reach and 3 endlessly)? How good are the maps? Thanks in advance, I hope this is the right place to ask.

Karl2177

Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up an Xbone S today for Halo 5 and I had a few questions. (For reference, I was a huge fan of 3 and Reach but 4 lost me)

How is the population compared to the first year of Reach? How is the multiplayer's staying power compared to other Halos (I got bored within ~50 hours of 4 but could play Reach and 3 endlessly)? How good are the maps? Thanks in advance, I hope this is the right place to ask.
From my perspective, they claim the population has the highest retention since Halo 3 but I've come across a lot of repeat players, so I don't know how true their claim is.

The maps are better than Halo 4, but there aren't any standouts. The best map is either Truth, which is a faux Midship, or Coliseum, which is a new mirror symmetric map.

Having said all that, I really enjoy the multiplayer. My personal favorites for multiplayer are Halo 2 and 3, so take what you will out of that. There's some occasional bullshit that the game produces every once in a while, but largely it's pretty good.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just watched it and it clearly shows he hit your back. He ninja'd you.

I don't get it, don't all melees from the behind result in assassination? Pure melee is much quicker and thus less risky than the long assassination animation.

Because he got behind me, meleed and BOOM dead. Like in a SC from behind (quick but risky because of trajectory) or assassination (slow and risky because of vulnerable time), but without a risk.

I don't get it, don't all melees from the behind result in assassination? Pure melee is much quicker and thus less risky than the long assassination animation.

Because he got behind me, meleed and BOOM dead. Like in a SC from behind (quick but risky because of trajectory) or assassination (slow and risky because of vulnerable time), but without a risk.
In all halo games since Halo CE, a melee to the back is a one hit kill. I'm honestly amazed this is apparently the first time you've ever been back smacked. How is that possible? Are you the most aware player of all time?

Chittagong

Gold Member
In all halo games since Halo CE, a melee to the back is a one hit kill. I'm honestly amazed this is apparently the first time you've ever been back smacked. How is that possible? Are you the most aware player of all time?

Certainly not, I've got SC'd and assassinated tons from behind, but don't think I have been smacked very often. What determines whether it becomes a smack or assassination then? Naturally the former is always preferable.

Um, yeah, welcome to Halo.

Since assassination animations were introduced in Reach, you could always skip the animation if you were quick enough on the melee button, which even gives you a different medal- Beat Down.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Um, yeah, welcome to Halo.

Since assassination animations were introduced in Reach, you could always skip the animation if you were quick enough on the melee button, which even gives you a different medal- Beat Down.

Well I'll be damned. So a quick tap melee button, or better timing to skip assassination?

Well I'll be damned. So a quick tap melee button, or better timing to skip assassination?

Quick tap, but it's always been pretty inconsistent, presumably due to server/host latency issues. It being too hard to not do the animation was something that's been complained about since Reach.

They even give us the option to disable assassination animations for those people who prefer the quick back smack.

I still like mine on :p

BUT DO I EVEN ASSASSINATE PEOPLE THOUGH!? T_T .....

Certainly not, I've got SC'd and assassinated tons from behind, but don't think I have been smacked very often. What determines whether it becomes a smack or assassination then? Naturally the former is always preferable.
Hold the button for assassination, tap for best down. It's been like that since reach. H5 even gives the option to disable assassinations so that you don't accidentally perform one when going for a beat down.

No, Bravo on reddit said it was bugged for some reason but I thought I saw they fixed it.

This is my first time getting on this week and I was hoping to open my arena req packs but they weren't there, then I realized my daily wasn't either. Played a match figuring it would take awhile to show up and I got my arena win req pack but the others still were missing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hold the button for assassination, tap for best down. It's been like that since reach. H5 even gives the option to disable assassinations so that you don't accidentally perform one when going for a beat down.

Quick tap, but it's always been pretty inconsistent, presumably due to server/host latency issues. It being too hard to not do the animation was something that's been complained about since Reach.

Cheers guys. 1,432 games into Halo 5, I learned something new. Disabling now.

Fedelias

From my perspective, they claim the population has the highest retention since Halo 3 but I've come across a lot of repeat players, so I don't know how true their claim is.

The maps are better than Halo 4, but there aren't any standouts. The best map is either Truth, which is a faux Midship, or Coliseum, which is a new mirror symmetric map.

Having said all that, I really enjoy the multiplayer. My personal favorites for multiplayer are Halo 2 and 3, so take what you will out of that. There's some occasional bullshit that the game produces every once in a while, but largely it's pretty good.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll be picking up Halo for the first time in years today :)

Cross posting from the Forge thread, because why not?

Any try hards got any suggestions for a good piratey themed weapon set?

lMcjryZ.png

E177xAI.png

KAYFGa5.png

Cranster

Banned
Gotta love Gaming sides bias. Claim that 343I lied about Halo 5's story even though they never did, but a indie developer outright lies and misleads about the online portion of their PS4 exclusive game and the defense force is all hands on deck.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta love Gaming sides bias. Claim that 343I lied about Halo 5's story even though they never did, but a indie developer outright lies and misleads about the online portion of their PS4 exclusive game and the defense force is all hands on deck.

Yeah, it's a joke.

Magwik

Banned
The marketing of Halo 5 was incredibly misleading though.

The Flash

Banned
Halo 5's marketing is on a completely different level compared to the other games in the series.

Someone in this thread did a good job of explaining why Halo 5 was more misleading but I can't find it.

I dislike those who say they don't have a bias but clearly do with their history....

But I'm very hopeful in a hunt the truth season 3. Please happen......

Trup1aya

Halo 5's marketing is on a completely different level compared to the other games in the series.

Someone in this thread did a good job of explaining why Halo 5 was more misleading but I can't find it.

I dunno, we never hunted for the truth... Just like we never finished the fight in Halo 2.

I just felt like Halo5's campaign was more disappointing because the excellent HTT campaign hinted at this massive universe filled with strong characters, conflict, deceit and espionage, and the game delivered none of that.

to be fair Halo 5's marketing was pretty terrible to a non-Halo fan.

It was obvious that Cortana was going to become the new villain and anything to do with Locke vs Chief wasn't going to be some epic showdown. I expected what we basically got which was Chief going after Cortana, Locke being sent after him because UNSC thinks Chief is an idiot and will help her or some shit

Cross posting from the Forge thread, because why not?

Any try hards got any suggestions for a good piratey themed weapon set?

Absolutely positively has to be played with the Goonies soundtrack blasting down the party chat. There is no other theme option, who cares about weapons :)

Looks great. What about that grappling hook hack thingy from the one forge video?

Karl2177

Harupsis makes good points and bad points, and a lot of his opinions are just dissatisfaction with how the story went as opposed to actual lies. I get it, you wanted Jul to live and fight another day. That doesn't mean that 343 is killing characters at the rate of Game of Thrones.
Eh. It feels like 343i(and here I'll specifically point out Brian Reed) tends to just go along the "once I'm done with it in the narrative, fuck it up" route. See: the didact, throwing the planet into the sun, Jul mdama. I'm not too involved with the extended universe, I know a few key plot points that happen outside the games, but it's the picture that I see. And a lot of that picture is "Jul mdama? He doesn't contribute anything now that SpOps is done, let's just kill 'im.”

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Eh. It feels like 343i(and here I'll specifically point out Brian Reed) tends to just go along the "once I'm done with it in the narrative, fuck it up" route. See: the didact, throwing the planet into the sun, Jul mdama. I'm not too involved with the extended universe, I know a few key plot points that happen outside the games, but it's the picture that I see. And a lot of that picture is "Jul mdama? He doesn't contribute anything now that SpOps is done, let's just kill 'im.”

Halo is filled with fluff that won't get resolved until someone remembers.

Remember the planet sized, dimension hopping, Onyx installation? Still there.
The Anus key? The Forerunner dreadnought fleet?
The Prophets and the Brutes and the Huragoks?
Diadact's re-resurrection and re-death?
The five extra Composers and the Composer Forge?
Mendicant Bias?
Guilty Spark's resurrection?
Librarian still being alive?
The planets not glassed by the Covenant?

Yeah, they have made it abundantly clear that all the different stories are highly siloed when they're created. That characters continue to exist sometimes seems to be the only continuity they care to handle.

I completely gave up after all the cool ideas from the Greg Bear novels went absolutely nowhere. Precursors? Nah, let's have robots take over because that's never been done in sci-fi before.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yeah, they have made it abundantly clear that all the different stories are highly siloed when they're created. That characters continue to exist sometimes seems to be the only continuity they care to handle.

I completely gave up after all the cool ideas from the Greg Bear novels went absolutely nowhere. Precursors? Nah, let's have robots take over because that's never been done in sci-fi before.

Brian Reed against Greg Bear isn't even a contest.

o-RESTORATION-570.jpg

Top Bottom