• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

TCKaos

My comments on Bear's novels are as follows:

Bear's an old-school scifi author, not a plug-and-play franchise writer, so his books being a little more cerebral and harder to parse is unsurprising. Even at the time I knew that people were going to be bewildered, expecting another videa game storybook. I think the space magic and lack of absolute clarity made sense, because it maintains some of the sense of mystery of the Forerunner era, even while exploring it.

However, the pacing of his trilogy was actually terrible. 90% of the notable events shouldn't happen in the last 20% of the book. The last two books especially felt like he lost track of the deadline, and got friendly reminder call that the rest of the chapters were due by Tuesday.

This is why I only read the first one. I didn't like meandering around for 75-90% of the book only for the plot to take off in the last couple dozen pages, if even that. Mendicant Bias going on a rampage probably should have kicked off act two instead of the first some 275-300 pages explaining retcons that didn't need to happen and didn't necessitate that much exposition to justify.

daedalius

Bear's an old-school scifi author, not a plug-and-play franchise writer, so his books being a little more cerebral and harder to parse is unsurprising. Even at the time I knew that people were going to be bewildered, expecting another videa game storybook. I think the space magic and lack of absolute clarity made sense, because it maintains some of the sense of mystery of the Forerunner era, even while exploring it.

However, the pacing of his trilogy was actually terrible. 90% of the notable events shouldn't happen in the last 20% of the book. The last two books especially felt like he lost track of the deadline, and got friendly reminder call that the rest of the chapters were due by Tuesday.

Yes this.

Ade

Fully agree.

On a related note, I finished Broken Circle today. Enjoyed it more than I'd been lead to believe I would.

The Flash

Banned
Anyone here ever get one of those Halo Loot Crate things? Are they any good? Debating ordering one as a bday present for myself tomorrow.

Anyone here ever get one of those Halo Loot Crate things? Are they any good? Debating ordering one as a bday present for myself tomorrow.

First crate ships in late August/early September. You have until the 15th to sign up to get the first crate. Also, not sure if this was already mentioned, but each time a crate is sent out one person is getting a Mythic Crate valued at over $2500. All the stuff for the first Mythic Crate is listed here.

OH man Forge on PC is gonna be something else. Customs at 4k ehrmahgawd.

And no variable resolution!

...is variable resolution going to be an option for PC users? My GTX 970 wouldn't need to worry about that, but my buddies play on GTX 660s and 760s. Old cards that aren't too strong anymore.

The Flash

Banned
First crate ships in late August/early September. You have until the 15th to sign up to get the first crate. Also, not sure if this was already mentioned, but each time a crate is sent out one person is getting a Mythic Crate valued at over $2500. All the stuff for the first Mythic Crate is listed here.

I could use those headphones...

wwm0nkey

Really hope Halo 5 Forge comes out next month on Windows 10. I really just want to play customs with friends who didn't buy an Xbox lol

The Flash

Banned
We pretty much have the Needler Rifle right now. I'd like something more unique like the Bruteshot or pro-pipe.

tumblr_n2j3w2RitZ1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

belushy

Banned
Really hope Halo 5 Forge comes out next month on Windows 10. I really just want to play customs with friends who didn't buy an Xbox lol

I think it's close. A month is a safe bet imo.

Fuck I'm excite for PC halo.

As for the rest of the update they said new places to play. Means we might be getting a new map :)

Nice to see they are doing an action sack playlist (hoping ricochet will be in there). that and talk of other playlist being in the works. maybe the new reqs we can hope for variants of the wasp like that gauss one i'm always hoping for and maybe an oni variant that has explosive chaingun bullets and improved AOE rockets. in terms of weapons I always want the needler rifle to come back cause i don't count the blood of susan as a replacement. all of this is hoping a lot but would be nice none the less.
also btb pistol starts

Please be my crate. Please be my crate.

I have to admit the recurring ordering options were pretty funny, just stuck with every other month for now.

The Flash

Banned
I wish there was a way to play the campaign without the AI teammates. One of the things that I like to do in Halo games is hear all the different taunts and IWHBYD lines. It's a little more difficult to do when you're constantly signalling your squad to go back and not shoot.

I like some aspects of these, but I feel like they're just way too overdesigned. Lots of needless post-processing and lens flare.

Better than what we have now. The menus are so plain and unexciting.... I need hyped in every menu like when I open a gold pack! Shower me with b-day giftsssss

Madness

How did THIS not get in the final game? Current UI in the REQ section is absolute pure garbage.

Because they needed the game out by October of 2015. Look at how much they have improved basic UI functionality and things like the post game carnage report. It is obvious a lot of Halo 5 was still work-in-progress or barebones when it released and they have slowly refined it.

jem0208

How did THIS not get in the final game? Current UI in the REQ section is absolute pure garbage.
They’ve got to maintain 60fps and not have long times.

Imagine the X1 having to render and hold 150 or so highly detailed models in memory whilst also doing all that post processing. The load times would be insane, without a tonne of optimisation they probably didn’t have time for.

Welfare

They’ve got to maintain 60fps and not have long times.

Imagine the X1 having to render and hold 150 or so highly detailed models in memory whilst also doing all that post processing. The load times would be insane, without a tonne of optimisation they probably didn’t have time for.

I'm not talking about the graphics/detailed helmets, I'm talking about how it is structured. That is infinitely better management than this garbage.

halo-5-guardians-leak-shows-req-system-helmets-weapons-more-492911-3.jpg

Looking at the concept art, I already know Copperhead's description, what the base helmet's rarity is, how many different skins it has, and cool lore on who manufactured it, along with an actual close up for the helmet. No cluttered screen with repeating helmets and you know what, actual colored helmets and not random Red or Blue team colors.

How do you even let 223 different options laying around when you can do what both Reach and the concept showed and have a top layer for all base armors and then a sub layer for all the random skins? The UI for the REQ collection is a mess.

jem0208

I'm not talking about the graphics/detailed helmets, I'm talking about how it is structured. That is infinitely better management than this garbage.

halo-5-guardians-leak-shows-req-system-helmets-weapons-more-492911-3.jpg

Looking at the concept art, I already know Copperhead's description, what the base helmet's rarity is, how many different skins it has, and cool lore on who manufactured it, along with an actual close up for the helmet. No cluttered screen with repeating helmets and you know what, actual colored helmets and not random Red or Blue team colors.

How do you even let 223 different options laying around when you can do what both Reach and the concept showed and have a top layer for all base armors and then a sub layer for all the random skins? The UI for the REQ collection is a mess.

That’s the req collection screen. If you use the customization tab you get a description, a close up, the lore etc.

I do agree it’s not particularly well ordered though and the skins need to be tabbed like reach.

That’s the req collection screen. If you use the customization tab you get a description, a close up, the lore etc.

I do agree it’s not particularly well ordered though and the skins need to be tabbed like reach.

Thing is, if you use the customization screen, you see armors in the order you unlocked them, not the order they're organized in.

Can we get a twitter campaign going for black undersuits?

I remember seeing some photoshops of people taking Halo 5 armor and removing the blue/red colour on the undersuits. It's crazy how such a small change makes the armor look more "halo-esque"

Can we get a twitter campaign going for black undersuits?

I remember seeing some photoshops of people taking Halo 5 armor and removing the blue/red colour on the undersuits. It's crazy how such a small change makes the armor look more "halo-esque"

We need a catchy hash tag

Quick! someone be creative!

Top Bottom