• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Madness

Do I buy an Xbox One S?

maxresdefault.jpg

If you have a 4K television, sure. Otherwise I would just wait for Scorpio next year.

Harupsis makes good points and bad points, and a lot of his opinions are just dissatisfaction with how the story went as opposed to actual lies. I get it, you wanted Jul to live and fight another day. That doesn't mean that 343 is killing characters at the rate of Game of Thrones.

Yeah I know the article has a lot of personal opinion and critique in it, but I thought he also did a good job of how the marketing lied and was misleading, as well as how it affected the story that was being built up these past few years.

I just gained a new appreciation for the Didact.

Halo has some pretty fascinating and well written lore to it, Greg Bear did a great job with the Forerunner trilogy. Reading his level-by-level analysis of 4 and 5 also show how fantastic of a job 343i was doing with the Halo Universe up until now due to the decisive nature of this new direction.

Halo is filled with fluff that won't get resolved until someone remembers.

Remember the planet sized, dimension hopping, Onyx installation? Still there.
The Anus key? The Forerunner dreadnought fleet?
The Prophets and the Brutes and the Huragoks?
Diadact's re-resurrection and re-death?
The five extra Composers and the Composer Forge?
Mendicant Bias?
Guilty Spark's resurrection?
Librarian still being alive?
The planets not glassed by the Covenant?

Stuff to bring up with Grim, if he ever shows up here. I know he hangs out at HBO though on occasion.

daedalius

Yeah, they have made it abundantly clear that all the different stories are highly siloed when they're created. That characters continue to exist sometimes seems to be the only continuity they care to handle.

I completely gave up after all the cool ideas from the Greg Bear novels went absolutely nowhere. Precursors? Nah, let's have robots take over because that's never been done in sci-fi before.

Greg Bear is amazing; I wish he had a more prominent role than the current writers...

TCKaos

Halo is filled with fluff that won't get resolved until someone remembers.

Remember the planet sized, dimension hopping, Onyx installation? Still there.
The Anus key? The Forerunner dreadnought fleet?
The Prophets and the Brutes and the Huragoks?
Diadact's re-resurrection and re-death?
The five extra Composers and the Composer Forge?
Mendicant Bias?
Guilty Spark's resurrection?
Librarian still being alive?
The planets not glassed by the Covenant?

The Super Halos and the Super Ark (or whatever they're called).

Had a guy approaching behind me which I heard early in my headphones and went for the stand-still-fake-out-dodge...failed. I'm not sure if it was me with bad timing or poor latency getting me whacked:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/281cbb71-264c-4dca-a201-2ef8c213e3a5

Tried to play some MCC with mates the other night, went about as well as expected:

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/8f4df876-6dce-48d1-a88b-a79ccb8bb223

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/2487b4e8-179f-4752-a1ca-32706db58cfd

Trup1aya

Unpopular opinion:

I went through all the halo books on audio book and hated the forerunner trilogy and really like kilo-5. Bear's walking and talking bored me to tears. Traviss' espionage was pretty intriguing. Nylund by far was the best.

Akai__

Unpopular opinion:

I went through all the halo books on audio book and hated the forerunner trilogy and really like kilo-5. Bear's walking and talking bored me to tears. Traviss' espionage was pretty intriguing. Nylund by far was the best.

I don't see why this would be unpopular opinion, considering that all of the Forerunner books are very boring to read, until like the last 1/4. Travis was okay, but Nylund remains the best Halo book writer, imo.

One day, I'll have to rebuy all of the Halo books, but I'd wish they would all come in the same size.

*cough* if only there was an MS employee that could do more Halo writing but is too busy with ReCore *cough*

Well, he did write the short "Halo: Shadow of Intent" novel, which was pretty good actually. I'd love him to return to Halo and be a lead writer again, but if he doesn't want to after all these years, it would be understandable. Although, he said that he really enjoyed writing the Novel.

Trup1aya

I don't see why this would be unpopular opinion, considering that all of the Forerunner books are very boring to read, until like the last 1/4. Travis was okay, but Nylund remains the best Halo book writer, imo.

One day, I'll have to rebuy all of the Halo books, but I'd wish they would all come in the same size.

Well, he did write the short "Halo: Shadow of Intent" novel, which was pretty good actually. I'd love him to return to Halo and be a lead writer again, but if he doesn't want to after all these years, it would be understandable. Although, he said that he really enjoyed writing the Novel.

Everywhere I go I see people saying Nylund>Bear>>>>>>>>>>>Traviss

So I feel like I'm the only person who'd say
Nylund>Traviss>Bear

I really felt like Bears novels were a boring, convoluted, mess. I agonized over the use of 'Space magic' instead of sci-fi. There was Too much exposition, and too much of that relied on having ways to bring one persons conscience into another... They even had a character brush up on thousands of years of history by biting someone... It's was nonsense.

With Traviss, I understand people didn't like how she treated some of the series established characters, but I felt like the much more personal look at every character (when compared to Nylund) generally paid off.

But nothing topped Nylunds ability to make you feel like you were in the action.

Fuchsdh

Everywhere I go I see people saying Nylund>Bear>>>>>>>>>>>Traviss

So I feel like I'm the only person who'd say
Nylund>Traviss>Bear

I really felt like Bears novels were a boring, convoluted, mess. I agonized over the use of 'Space magic' instead of sci-fi. There was Too much exposition, and too much of that relied on having ways to bring one persons conscience into another... They even had a character brush up on thousands of years of history by biting someone... It's was nonsense.

With Traviss, I understand people didn't like how she treated some of the series established characters, but I felt like the much more personal look at every character (when compared to Nylund) generally paid off.

But nothing topped Nylunds ability to make you feel like you were in the action.

I like them all for different reasons. As you mention, Traviss focused on the headspace of each character much more effectively than Nylund, but I remember Nylund's action sequences after all these years. I think Bear's weird, spacemagicky ways were exactly what was needed to impart the right amount of alien mythos into the Forerunner Trilogy.

I still have a fondness for Dietz and The Flood, though. If he'd been given a bit more leeway not to go through the game blow-by-blow it would have been better, but everything he added was wonderful, from Jenkins to coming up with a whole inner life and background to that Elite you randomly blow up in the Autumn's corridor.

Trup1aya

I like them all for different reasons. As you mention, Traviss focused on the headspace of each character much more effectively than Nylund, but I remember Nylund's action sequences after all these years. I think Bear's weird, spacemagicky ways were exactly what was needed to impart the right amount of alien mythos into the Forerunner Trilogy.

I still have a fondness for Dietz and The Flood, though. If he'd been given a bit more leeway not to go through the game blow-by-blow it would have been better, but everything he added was wonderful, from Jenkins to coming up with a whole inner life and background to that Elite you randomly blow up in the Autumn's corridor.

Actually it sounded like we agreed on what made Nylund and Traviss good ;)

Another Nod to Nylund- his ability to personify the capabilities of the AI constructs. My memory is hazy, but that chapter where Cortana hacked into the covey ship Blew My Mind. He took a sci-Fi trope that is usually glossed over and stuffed with technobabble and managed to make it exciting and, somehow, relatable.

Traviss' made a great, powerful character in BB, but wasn't quite as effective in demonstrating his power.

But then there's Bear... It was just information dump and idiot lecture. I think the space magic was more-or-less a mechanism for explaining why the Didact would hate humanity than a well thoughtout Forerunner trait.

The Flood was awesome. If there WAS ever a Halo movie adaptation this should be it...

Fuchsdh

Actually it sounded like we agreed on what made Nylund and Traviss good ;)

Another Nod to Nylund- his ability to personify the capabilities of the AI constructs. My memory is hazy, but that chapter where Cortana hacked into the covey ship Blew My Mind. He took a sci-Fi trope that is usually glossed over and stuffed with technobabble and managed to make it exciting and, somehow, relatable.

Traviss' made a great, powerful character in BB, but wasn't quite as effective in demonstrating his power.

But then there's Bear... It was just information dump and idiot lecture. I think the space magic was more-or-less a mechanism for explaining why the Didact would hate humanity than a well thoughtout Forerunner trait.

The Flood was awesome. If there WAS ever a Halo movie adaptation this should be it...

Have you read the Halo movie scripts and/or the fan-produced one the former Ascendant Justice guys did? They're out there on the net to read, and they're pretty interesting. Based on the script alone Garland's Halo script might be the most faithful video game adaptation I've seen.

Trup1aya

Have you read the Halo movie scripts and/or the fan-produced one the former Ascendant Justice guys did? They're out there on the net to read, and they're pretty interesting. Based on the script alone Garland's Halo script might be the most faithful video game adaptation I've seen.

No I haven't, but you have certainly peaked my interest.

So official scripts actually existed?

Holy shit I'm agreeing with Trup1aya on something?

While the Halsey bashing got old FAST, the stories themselves were excellent. Lot of heart when it came to the last novel. Plus they gave us Black Box, thank the Created.

I would totally dig a survival-horror-flood-encounter type of halo movie.

Something with a good amount of grit. make it epic like prometheus :p practical effects with del toro's touch. and something suspensful like lights out

Gotta love Gaming sides bias. Claim that 343I lied about Halo 5's story even though they never did, but a indie developer outright lies and misleads about the online portion of their PS4 exclusive game and the defense force is all hands on deck.
Gaf only has a bit if a Sony bias cause most people own PS4s. It's just a demographic thing.

And although 343 didn't "lie" about the marketing, it was certainly misleading.

Akai__

People only hate on Travis, because of the Halsey thing which is probably justified. But other than that, the books are actually decent and good to read from start to the end, which I really can't say for Bear's work. I almost dropped Primordium. Luckily I was spoiled a little and I gained interest again and the last 1/3 or 1/4 was really good.

So yeah, my list also goes Nylund >
Joseph Staten > Frankie >
Travis > Bear.

It sucked so much that the last Forerunner book came out after Halo 4 and I'm eagerly awaiting the Primordial to appear in future games. Instead, like Prinz Eugn already said, we got stupid Forerunner robots. I really hope this gets incorporated into a game somehow. Imagine playing a sequel to all Halo's, where you play the great Human vs Forerunner War with the Flood chiming in. Just imagine playing any of those scenes from the Halo 4 terminals.

Any way to open this on mobile? On iPhone and it won't let me see it.

daedalius

I actually really enjoyed the Kilo-5 trilogy, too bad it felt like it ended up not really going anywhere after a ton of buildup.

Nylund definitely made my favorite books out of them all though. First Strike to this day is still incredible.

IHaveIce

Banned
People only hate on Travis, because of the Halsey thing which is probably justified. But other than that, the books are actually decent and good to read from start to the end, which I really can't say for Bear's work. I almost dropped Primordium. Luckily I was spoiled a little and I gained interest again and the last 1/3 or 1/4 was really good.

So yeah, my list also goes Nylund >
Joseph Staten > Frankie >
Travis > Bear.

It sucked so much that the last Forerunner book came out after Halo 4 and I'm eagerly awaiting the Primordial to appear in future games. Instead, like Prinz Eugn already said, we got stupid Forerunner robots. I really hope this gets incorporated into a game somehow. Imagine playing a sequel to all Halo's, where you play the great Human vs Forerunner War with the Flood chiming in. Just imagine playing any of those scenes from the Halo 4 terminals.

Any way to open this on mobile? On iPhone and it won't let me see it.

I also hated how she handled the other Spartans :(

Trup1aya

Both. The Spartan 3's were made redundant and the build up with Lucy led to nowhere.
The new Spartan 2s were all assholes or dumbasses

Lol I give her an A for effort. Spartan's didn't have much personality until she got onboard. Trying to make them all different probably wasn't easy.

The 3's weren't humanities best intellectual and physical specimens, and I think that was portrayed pretty well... Lucy was definately a missed opportunity, though.

The 2's were ok I thought. I liked Naomi and Sarin. I wish that Traviss would haven written it so that they were more conflicted over Halsey rather than just filled with disdain. Especially since they didn't seem to have any ill will towards Mendez or the Vice admiral. I did get a sense that at the end of the book Sarin would have gained a slight appreciation for Halsey's work. I liked that.

Trup1aya

OH man Forge on PC is gonna be something else. Customs at 4k ehrmahgawd.

Can't wait to see it in action.

When it launches We should get some controller v kb/m games going... Try to recreate the Halo2 vista salt.

"You only beat me because you have auto-aim"
"You only beat me because you have a mouse"

My comments on Bear's novels are as follows:

Bear's an old-school scifi author, not a plug-and-play franchise writer, so his books being a little more cerebral and harder to parse is unsurprising. Even at the time I knew that people were going to be bewildered, expecting another videa game storybook. I think the space magic and lack of absolute clarity made sense, because it maintains some of the sense of mystery of the Forerunner era, even while exploring it.

However, the pacing of his trilogy was actually terrible. 90% of the notable events shouldn't happen in the last 20% of the book. The last two books especially felt like he lost track of the deadline, and got friendly reminder call that the rest of the chapters were due by Tuesday.

My comments on Bear's novels are as follows:

Bear's an old-school scifi author, not a plug-and-play franchise writer, so his books being a little more cerebral and harder to parse is unsurprising. Even at the time I knew that people were going to be bewildered, expecting another videa game storybook. I think the space magic and lack of absolute clarity made sense, because it maintains some of the sense of mystery of the Forerunner era, even while exploring it.

However, the pacing of his trilogy was actually terrible. 90% of the notable events shouldn't happen in the last 20% of the book. The last two books especially felt like he lost track of the deadline, and got friendly reminder call that the rest of the chapters were due by Tuesday.

I can agree with this assessment

Top Bottom