• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

BizzyBum

The true grind doesn't start until Golds.

Luckily 343 were generous enough by allowing you to spend hundreds in cash to quickly complete them.

Kalentan

Gaming side is on fire, they sure love Halo.

Once again proving that Halo threads on the gaming side, minus the Lore Thread, are nearly always horrible. Like in that suggestion threads people make suggestions like:

1. Make new IP (even though 343i was made to make only Halo, and people applied to work there to specifically work on Halo)
2. Get rid of Prometheans (Cause 343i is totally going to just remove an entire enemy faction from their game)
3. Retcon Halo 4 and Halo 5 out of the series (Again, cause 343i is totally just going to put all of their efforts to waste and all that money spent.)
4. Go back to the old style of gameplay (please no.)

Rather than be titled: "What should 343i do?"

It should be: "What extremely horrible and unlikely ideas should 343i do?"

I think I saw one post, which I quoted, that actually had good suggestions.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Once again proving that Halo threads on the gaming side, minus the Lore Thread, are nearly always horrible. Like in that suggestion threads people make suggestions like:

1. Make new IP (even though 343i was made to make only Halo, and people applied to work there to specifically work on Halo)
2. Get rid of Prometheans (Cause 343i is totally going to just remove an entire enemy faction from their game)
3. Retcon Halo 4 and Halo 5 out of the series (Again, cause 343i is totally just going to put all of their efforts to waste and all that money spent.)

Yup

And you know, it would be one thing is there was a sense of irony in their posts (if that makes sense, maybe I mean sarcasm?) or like them realizing it sounds crazy. But it isn't. There are people who really do think they should do those things.

don't forget all the people who didn't play halo 5 who think it has killstreaks/loadouts/etc

daedalius

Well prometheans are still no fun to fight, but that doesn't mean they need to be retconed out, just designed in a new way that makes them not miserable.

The covenant-heavy levels were way more fun to me in the campaign.

Kalentan

Well prometheans are still no fun to fight, but that doesn't mean they need to be retconed out, just designed in a new way that makes them not miserable.

The covenant-heavy levels were way more fun to me in the campaign.

That's different tho. You just want them to be more fun to fight. That's far different than going on about how they need to just remove them.

TCKaos

Is there anything that Prometheans do better than the Covenant from a gameplay perspective? The only thing I enjoy are the introduction of the auxiliary role that Halo 5's Watchers play and the new Hunter-like roles that the Knights play given their new weaknesses. I'd enjoy a more aggressive combat rodeo with them, though. In lieu of making Hunters fun to fight again I'd like them to act more like Halo 1 Hunters. Have them attack in ways that make them vulnerable and reveal their weak points so that it rewards the player for dodging the attack.

Defect

I get around 40 kills in a btb match and someone reports me for cheating because I "Wasn't looking at him when I killed him"

Why are people stupid

TCKaos

Holy hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKyR6vqVLs

The Halo 4 Beta mantis was fucking OP!

Stinkles, bring back Halo 4 beta mantis as Legendary REQ. I'd love to pilot that thing around Warzone Firefight.

If the Mantis is essentially supposed to be a bigger SIV then it should have a thruster like those evasion animations would imply it did. Either that or make it harder to board and give it a bit of a damage buff.

This seems somewhat left over from the fact that the Mantis is not a vehicle in the engine but actually a biped so it technically naturally inherited all the Spartan moves from the engine. The animators just gave it some plausible animations as placeholders

Also this. CMT was going to implement the Mantis by making it a biped that the player could interact with like a vehicle but I don't think it panned out.
8516176188_85f2171c7b_b.jpg

FyreWulff

Holy hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKyR6vqVLs

The Halo 4 Beta mantis was fucking OP!

Stinkles, bring back Halo 4 beta mantis as Legendary REQ. I'd love to pilot that thing around Warzone Firefight.

This seems somewhat left over from the fact that the Mantis is not a vehicle in the engine but actually a biped so it technically naturally inherited all the Spartan/Elite moves from the engine. The animators just gave it some plausible animations as placeholders. AI bipeds have directional melee in Reach and 4

This seems somewhat left over from the fact that the Mantis is not a vehicle in the engine but actually a biped so it technically naturally inherited all the Spartan/Elite moves from the engine. The animators just gave it some plausible animations as placeholders. AI bipeds have directional melee in Reach and 4

Is that why it feels a bit different from Halo 4 to 5? the Mantis in 5 doesn't feel as heavy as it did, when you were in a Mantis in 4 it felt like you were welding a powerhouse of destruction even when using the nerfed multiplayer one.

In 5, it just feels like you're using a walking wasp, strong but anything really can take you out. does this make sense? I hope it does.

Of course theirs also the fact that they removed the custom HUD and destroyed animations from 4's mantis in 5. I mean seriously have you seen when the mantis gets destroyed in 4 compared to 5? why the fuck does it ragdoll like that its not a spartan.

Trup1aya

Is there anything that Prometheans do better than the Covenant from a gameplay perspective? The only thing I enjoy are the introduction of the auxiliary role that Halo 5's Watchers play and the new Hunter-like roles that the Knights play given their new weaknesses. I'd enjoy a more aggressive combat rodeo with them, though. In lieu of making Hunters fun to fight again I'd like them to act more like Halo 1 Hunters. Have them attack in ways that make them vulnerable and reveal their weak points so that it rewards the player for dodging the attack.

Thought long and hard and I can't think of any improvements prometheans bring to the table. As you've mentioned, the H5 watchers and knights decent and give me hope for the future.

FyreWulff

Is that why it feels a bit different from Halo 4 to 5? the Mantis in 5 doesn't feel as heavy as it did, when you were in a Mantis in 4 it felt like you were welding a powerhouse of destruction even when using the nerfed multiplayer one.

In 5, it just feels like you're using a walking wasp, strong but anything really can take you out. does this make sense? I hope it does.

Of course theirs also the fact that they removed the custom HUD and destroyed animations from 4's mantis in 5. I mean seriously have you seen when the mantis gets destroyed in 4 compared to 5? why the fuck does it ragdoll like that its not a spartan.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibfY97qePCU

As far as I'd assume it's still internally a biped, which is why it can ragdoll when destroyed. The rest of all that stuff just sounds like design / artistic decisions, not anything to do with the engine itself particularly.

It's possible they wanted the Mantis to full ragdoll in Halo 4 but the CPU wasn't there, so you blow it up and can use more basic physics on the pieces that fly off. Halo 2 actually shuts off ragdolls when there's more than 8 players in game (it's possible H2PC turned this off, can't check right now), and 3/Reach/4 also have various strategies to reduce physics calculations for ragdolls when a lot of players are in the game. Since Halo 5 is all dedis then they now have more overhead for physics and there you go.

This is also why in most Halo games, the Pelicans actually have the physics collision of a sphere and engine properties of a Banshee, because calculating the actual Pelican realistically wasn't possible due to it's complex shape. Scorpions were (and probably still are) the most costly vehicle for CPU usage - it was remarked that putting a single Scorpion on a map in 360 Halo titles was the same CPU cost as putting 16 Warthogs, so the first target for getting a MP map's framerate up was usually to delete the Scorpions..

jfoul

well, right bumper on my Master Chief controller just broke off.... Out of warranty too. Fuck.

This happened with my Lunar White controller. I opened it up, used gorilla glue on the snapped bumper and it has worked fine since. You don't need to buy a Torx Security Screwdriver for the screws. The standoffs are very thin, and break off easily with a small flathead screwdriver. You also don't need a pry tool to pull off the controller panels, just use your finger nails and start at the bottom. Hope this helps.

Note: The launch controller and 3.5mm controller have different housings for the bumpers. Hoping to see an S controller teardown to see if they fixed the bumper housing for good this time.

This happened with my Lunar White controller. I opened it up, used gorilla glue on the snapped bumper and it has worked fine since. You don't need to buy a Torx Security Screwdriver for the screws. The standoffs are very thin, and break off easily with a small flathead screwdriver. You also don't need a pry tool to pull off the controller panels, just use your finger nails and start at the bottom. Hope this helps.

Note: The launch controller and 3.5mm controller have different housings for the bumpers. Hoping to see an S controller teardown to see if they fixed the bumper housing for good this time.

Here is iFixIt's teardown of the S controller.

Shit that sucks... Lol

you would have been better off trying to splatter your way through...

Still, why can't we choose where we spawn again? Imagine if that weren't a wraith, you wouldn't have lasted half as long as you did.

I can't boost until I move up that ramp, which means I can't move AT ALL with all the splinter grenades pinning me down...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Someone pinch me. Just beat apex pipap with a team full of randoms with a minute still left on the clock.

Am I already dead?

Now, was that enough time to also beat the next two bosses spawning cave underneath spire?

Trup1aya

I can't boost until I move up that ramp, which means I can't move AT ALL with all the splinter grenades pinning me down...

No doubt you were screwed. I was just saying your maybe best bet woulda been to try to power through... Prolly woulda died anyway.

The fault is in the game design.

On an unrelated note: I keep reading this article and trying interpret it in a way that says we'll get a better spectator mode out of the tech

http://news.xbox.com/2016/08/11/microsoft-acquires-beam/

Top Bottom