• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Seriously look at this shit. Look how much better it is:

W7Qc3l9.jpg

Put this shit in as a toggle for the next update pls

Fuchsdh

Seriously look at this shit. Look how much better it is:

Put this shit in as a toggle for the next update pls

Using it with old designs doesn't really demonstrate the flaw, though, which is that without the space diaper a lot of the GEN2 designs look really bare without the colored undersuit.

Using it with old designs doesn't really demonstrate the flaw, though, which is that without the space diaper a lot of the GEN2 designs look really bare without the colored undersuit.

That is true, however like in the first pic, there could be a triangle piece added that isn't necessarily the full "space diaper"

Realistically I don't see them changing it for H5, but for H6 they definitely could rework the armor to make it look better

Didn't see them mention if we were getting new gametypes in the next update.... that will be extremely disappointing.
I'm hoping Assault gets put back in TA. It was actually fun in the most recent preview playlist.

No more having to slay the opposite team 2-3 times in order to score.

jem0208

The problem with the vehicles is the weird-ass physics. A grenade will barely move a Warthog but drive over a slightly pointy pebble and you’ll go into orbit.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's amazing how little KD and WL correlate in Slayer. Last season I played quite well and had an 1.2KD with a 0.7WL, now I have been total shit with 0.9KD yet I have 1.07WL

The problem with the vehicles is the weird-ass physics. A grenade will barely move a Warthog but drive over a slightly pointy pebble and you’ll go into orbit.
I'm generally fine with how the vehicles control in Halo 5 (I don't hate them), but yeah this is so true lol, they could use some improvements. With the Hog, you really need to abuse the brakes to maintain control, constantly feathering it when driving through bumpy terrain or making sharp turns.

belushy

Banned
I'm hoping Assault gets put back in TA. It was actually fun in the most recent preview playlist.

No more having to slay the opposite team 2-3 times in order to score.

Assault would be cool.

Just think they played up the "modular" gametype thing, and now we've still only seen the ball gametype.

Where is the modular flag gametype that lets up set up gametypes like One-flag and Stockpile? Or the Strongholds variant that lets up easily set up KOTH? It was such a good idea but they are not really taking advantage of it.

My Avalanche remake is using the Tundra vehicle set.
Nice, I hope we see it in matchmaking.

Slight tangent, but any updates on the classic playlist? How's the map gathering coming along?
Assault would be cool.

Just think they played up the "modular" gametype thing, and now we've still only seen the ball gametype.

Where is the modular flag gametype that lets up set up gametypes like One-flag and Stockpile? Or the Strongholds variant that lets up easily set up KOTH? It was such a good idea but they are not really taking advantage of it.
Perhaps with the next Halo.
<-- 'Tis the life of a Halo fan.

Not as well as expected. Many of the better remakes are not being submitted.

Streaming Avalanche build right now. https://beam.pro/NOKYARD
IIRC, is that because the map creator has to be the one to submit it? If so, any logistical reasons as to why that is? I was hoping all maps would be fair game, despite who submitted it.

Either way, I blame nilla. He should have remade every Halo 1 & 2 map by now! lol
Why don't we have a forge playlist
Why isn't BTB pistol starts
Why does G0SU suck
Why is the matchmaking so bad

Why does FUNKNOWN hate radar so much
Why did they make Breakout
Why is Halo dad
Slightly triggered.

Karl2177

in how they handle or look?

Vehicles have bothered me since Reach, when they switched to the separate health model without much indication to the player as to what damage it is truly at. Halo CE worked because there was a UI piece that showed how much health was left on vehicles that had health. Indestructible vehicles were entirely tied to the player's shields and health. Halo 2 switched so every vehicle has health, but its destruction was tied to your shields and health. It worked, although there were times when it was too powerful. Reach comes out and vehicle health is completely separate again, but there's no indicator of health aside from visible damage. A vehicle's destruction can come when the player is at perfect health and shields. What was even worse was the Banshee had a shield system on top of that and there was no indicator. Halo 4 and 5 just continued Reach's system, but they've added more vehicles that have a separate shield(Mantis, Wasp).

Another thing that Reach did was incorporate the damage from small arms fire. Reach BTB was a mess because Warthogs got shredded by the DMR. Small arms weren't the only weapons involved in the aping of Reach's vehicles though. The Sniper Rifle became the de facto weapon on BTB maps, not just because of its ability to take down players at a distance, but because it did extra damage to vehicles. This meant that the Sniper had multiple roles and something that Jaime Griesemer would advise against. If you haven't seen it and are interested in game design, I highly recommend watching Jaime Griesemer's GDC talk Design in Detail.

griesemer-roles.png

Now that is in respect to weapons, but in my opinion, the 1:1 ratio of role:weapon should be applied to vehicles also. In Halo 5, what role does the Mongoose serve that the Gungoose doesn't? Does the Gungoose serve multiple roles? Should the GUngoose kill in a single trigger pull? What is the function of the Banshee from its introduction to the series to now? Does the Ghost serve as a mobility vehicle or should it be highly weaponized? Does the Wraith do a better job of balancing than the Scorpion in PvP? These are the questions I ask myself when I'm not having fun due to the vehicles.

I think that the Mongoose is entirely pointless now that the Gungoose exists. As a player I think "Why would I get on a Mongoose when I can get on one that has a form of offense?" When I'm Forging, I think "Do I want a player to be offensive when they are also playing the role of the speedy transport?" I look at the Gungoose and the only positive that I see in its design is on the single player side of things. There's actually a reason to get on a Mongoose in the single-player. To me, the rest of the design is entirely negative. In Halo 2 there were 3 vehicles that could kill from a single shot. In Halo 5 there are 9, and that's not counting all the variants of those vehicles in Warzone. The role of high damage output isn't a thing any more, as close to a third of the vehicles can do it. Getting killed in one shot isn't fun, and the prevalence of one shot kill vehicles is astounding.

Since I'm already getting tired of writing, and one day I'll actually sit down and get most of this in an article, I'm just going to end with what I would do if I were working on vehicles. I would sit down and decide on one health model across the board. Make it easily visible in the UI, whether it's the tied to health model or the separate health model. Then I would look at what roles need to be filled along side how vehicles performed in the past. The Banshee is introduced as a flying harass vehicle on the second mission in the series. I'd return it to its roots. The Mongoose was specced to be a fast, small, passenger vehicle. I'd return it to that. I'd look at how weapons play into the vehicle sandbox and make sure that no weapon takes an additional role of vehicle destroyer if it already fills another important role. Lastly, I'd make sure in playtesting that both being in the vehicle is fun and being attacked by it isn't completely frustrating.

sliding, thrusting and clambering is what I like most in halo 5.
I feel awesome out there, when I play something else I feel to limited to what I can do.

Wait, people are seriously complaining about the thruster now?

That's like the one great gameplay mechanic 343i added to the sandbox.
People don't like change.

S H O C K E R

Thruster is my favorite addition by far, it creates so many new gameplay possibilities and honestly, it's just fun to get around the maps using it. Really lends itself to the jet-fighter aspect of the Spartans.

Anybody want to play warzone? Playing with Unyshek and we have room for 4. Need a response asap.

Edit: lobby is full now. Just hit me up on xbl if you want to play and I'll invite when a spot opens up. GT is boltsnrays1109

NOKYARD

do the creators need to submit their maps by themselves? doesn't it still work if you just found them and submit them by yourself, I mean it is 343's content, they creators have no copyright what so ever.
The issue is that the builders must be available for feedback. I see no issue with submitting someone else's map so long as the builder has given permission and makes himself available for feedback.
Out of curiosity, why aren't you using Twitch?
I like the fact that Beam.Pro has next to zero delay. I was using the stream to adjust my webcam, and i could move around in Halo 3 Forge watching the stream on my iPad when my second monitor was busy.

Madness

Vehicles have bothered me since Reach, when they switched to the separate health model without much indication to the player as to what damage it is truly at. Halo CE worked because there was a UI piece that showed how much health was left on vehicles that had health. Indestructible vehicles were entirely tied to the player's shields and health. Halo 2 switched so every vehicle has health, but its destruction was tied to your shields and health. It worked, although there were times when it was too powerful. Reach comes out and vehicle health is completely separate again, but there's no indicator of health aside from visible damage. A vehicle's destruction can come when the player is at perfect health and shields. What was even worse was the Banshee had a shield system on top of that and there was no indicator. Halo 4 and 5 just continued Reach's system, but they've added more vehicles that have a separate shield(Mantis, Wasp).

Another thing that Reach did was incorporate the damage from small arms fire. Reach BTB was a mess because Warthogs got shredded by the DMR. Small arms weren't the only weapons involved in the aping of Reach's vehicles though. The Sniper Rifle became the de facto weapon on BTB maps, not just because of its ability to take down players at a distance, but because it did extra damage to vehicles. This meant that the Sniper had multiple roles and something that Jaime Griesemer would advise against. If you haven't seen it and are interested in game design, I highly recommend watching Jaime Griesemer's GDC talk Design in Detail.

griesemer-roles.png

Now that is in respect to weapons, but in my opinion, the 1:1 ratio of role:weapon should be applied to vehicles also. In Halo 5, what role does the Mongoose serve that the Gungoose doesn't? Does the Gungoose serve multiple roles? Should the GUngoose kill in a single trigger pull? What is the function of the Banshee from its introduction to the series to now? Does the Ghost serve as a mobility vehicle or should it be highly weaponized? Does the Wraith do a better job of balancing than the Scorpion in PvP? These are the questions I ask myself when I'm not having fun due to the vehicles.

I think that the Mongoose is entirely pointless now that the Gungoose exists. As a player I think "Why would I get on a Mongoose when I can get on one that has a form of offense?" When I'm Forging, I think "Do I want a player to be offensive when they are also playing the role of the speedy transport?" I look at the Gungoose and the only positive that I see in its design is on the single player side of things. There's actually a reason to get on a Mongoose in the single-player. To me, the rest of the design is entirely negative. In Halo 2 there were 3 vehicles that could kill from a single shot. In Halo 5 there are 9, and that's not counting all the variants of those vehicles in Warzone. The role of high damage output isn't a thing any more, as close to a third of the vehicles can do it. Getting killed in one shot isn't fun, and the prevalence of one shot kill vehicles is astounding.

Since I'm already getting tired of writing, and one day I'll actually sit down and get most of this in an article, I'm just going to end with what I would do if I were working on vehicles. I would sit down and decide on one health model across the board. Make it easily visible in the UI, whether it's the tied to health model or the separate health model. Then I would look at what roles need to be filled along side how vehicles performed in the past. The Banshee is introduced as a flying harass vehicle on the second mission in the series. I'd return it to its roots. The Mongoose was specced to be a fast, small, passenger vehicle. I'd return it to that. I'd look at how weapons play into the vehicle sandbox and make sure that no weapon takes an additional role of vehicle destroyer if it already fills another important role. Lastly, I'd make sure in playtesting that both being in the vehicle is fun and being attacked by it isn't completely frustrating.

This is a solid post Karl. This is the kind of feedback that is great to read as well.

I like the fact that Beam.Pro has next to zero delay. I was using the stream to adjust my webcam, and i could move around in Halo 3 Forge watching the stream on my iPad when my second monitor was busy.

Fair enough. Avalanche is really coming together, fingers crossed it makes it into the BTB playlist!

Obviously, classic Halo is dead. Just said I preferred it.

I love classic Halo too but I've made peace with the fact that it will almost certainly never return. Maybe one of these days someone with the experience and skills to put together a team to make a classic Halo successor will come along and create a Kickstarter campaign.

Madness

Obviously, classic Halo is dead. Just said I preferred it.

Me too. Can't imagine what a joy H2A would have been to play if it released with ALL H2 maps remastered and as part of a game that wasn't broken. I still hold out hope a fixed MCC will eventually get a PC release. Then again, with H5 you can replicate classic Halo gameplay if you had the tools to turn off sprint, ground pound, spartan charge etc. Gotta see how Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 is. Can you imagine all H1 and H2 maps remade in forge? Maybe could have H1 maps with CE pistol starts. H2 maps with H2 Battle Rifle stats and toggles for things off.

Me too. Can't imagine what a joy H2A would have been to play if it released with ALL H2 maps remastered and as part of a game that wasn't broken. I still hold out hope a fixed MCC will eventually get a PC release. Then again, with H5 you can replicate classic Halo gameplay if you had the tools to turn off sprint, ground pound, spartan charge etc. Gotta see how Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 is. Can you imagine all H1 and H2 maps remade in forge? Maybe could have H1 maps with CE pistol starts. H2 maps with H2 Battle Rifle stats and toggles for things off.

If? Can't you already do that?

EDIT: see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSg9BrrrY-U

jg4xchamp

Anyone remember launch window Halo Reach Blood Gulch with the Scorpions? Good times. Even with how the rest of the vehicles becoming coffins in their own way, they basically made that map anti-fun as fuck thanks to the Scorpion. Not that I didn't pad the stats and get my instant running riot for pressing right trigger, and basically nothing else, but you know, it was still bullshit.

I just wanted to join in on the complaining ; D

Anyway want to get back on the Halo 5 run again, but I really don't like how so many of the maps added to the arena side of the game are just forge world stuff. I'm not super fond of 343's art team (they somehow suck all the personality out of Halo in comparison to Bungie), but I'd like good maps that also look a bit more consistent and professional at the same time? No disrespect to the forge community, but didn't they pimp this game out with how many free maps we would get. I feel like a lot of those free maps are forge stuff, which should obviously be free.

Top Bottom