• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Such as? Haven't played TF, this is the first I'm hearing of massive disappointment for the sequel.

- Reduced the movement speed both as pilots and titans.

- Removed AI from the game. This is bad because it leaves the maps feeling extremely empty.

- Titans are no longer on a Time and are instead score based. This means far less titans from most peoples experience.

- Terrible maps compared to the original (obviously a small sample size due to just being a test but not a good sign).

Just a few of the things off of the top of my head. Read the impressions thread for more detailed posts. Almost everyone in there is disappointed

Plus

- Removal of Titan shields making Titan combat one-dimensional.

- New streamlined rodeo system practically removes Pilot v. Titan engagement balance.

- Removal of burn cards, in favor of Boosts, and it is essentially COD scorestreaks.

- Terrible UI clutter, and pilots have a red outline highlighting their position, further disencourages free running.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Iron sights. Exactly the same ads as before, now without all the holographic display around it.

Fuchsdh

Hmm.

That’d be weird, really weird. Especially considering weapons like the sword and hammer can scope...

They say iron sights only, but I'm not sure what that means in differentiation from smart-link. Maybe it's more akin to ADS in other shooters and there's none of the holographic targeting stuff/reticule?

jem0208

They say iron sights only, but I'm not sure what that means in differentiation from smart-link. Maybe it's more akin to ADS in other shooters and there's none of the holographic targeting stuff/reticule?
That’s what I think it might be, iron sights like other games.

jem0208

Just got a double snapshot with the last 2 bullets of the sniper.

Not bad.

First match - all three of my team mates quit within a minute.

Second match - match a to4 with e high Onyxs anda champion, get destroyed in 3 minutes.

Let's see what the third match is like...

Edit: Huh, third match actually turned out pretty good even though I played like shit and we lost.

wwm0nkey

Okay so I know I've been talking about Halo 5 Forge for PC for awhile, but I was rewatching the RTX panel and they said the content browser launches with Xbox and Windows 10....soooo next update is probably when the Forge on Windows 10 drops too then since thats when the content browser comes out.

5 man ffa on riptide...if we get maps like riptide, overgrowth, molten, empire instead of stuff like coliseum, truth, Eden for h6 I will flip. Alot of the sandbox complaints can be easily attributed to the dogshit close quarter hallway maps that litter h5.

Trup1aya

It's kinda funny that 343 is trying to fix overgrowth and Riptide by moving weapons around.

The block outs are fundamentally flawed, moving weapons and powerups is like putting a bandaids on a fatal gunshot wound....

BizzyBum

5 man ffa on riptide...if we get maps like riptide, overgrowth, molten, empire instead of stuff like coliseum, truth, Eden for h6 I will flip. Alot of the sandbox complaints can be easily attributed to the dogshit close quarter hallway maps that litter h5.

Made worse by the fact they made automatics and crouching much more effective.

It's kinda funny that 343 is trying to fix overgrowth and Riptide by moving weapons around.

The block outs are fundamentally flawed, moving weapons and powerups is like putting a bandaids on a fatal gunshot wound....

More like forgoing a bandaid in favor of a smaller caliber of fatal gunshot.

Riptide in particular is such a damn joke. Blocking is the issue, as you noted. It's absurdly easy to hold off attacks from any approach, even with these weapon changes. Riptide and Molten (imo) are 343's "fetch". They need to quit trying to make them happen.

Madness

So people actually miss the AI in TitanFall 2? That was one of the worst parts of the first for me. Having these random meatshields there just so people feel special at getting kills. I get that it may make the map feel bare but that is the trouble with the crazy balance Respawn has to do. You don't want it to become 16v16 and you have 10 titans at once slaughtering the other teams pilots etc.

So people actually miss the AI in TitanFall 2? That was one of the worst parts of the first for me. Having these random meatshields there just so people feel special at getting kills. I get that it may make the map feel bare but that is the trouble with the crazy balance Respawn has to do. You don't want it to become 16v16 and you have 10 titans at once slaughtering the other teams pilots etc.

really don't understand how the AI could have bothered anybody.

they were a mechanic designed to help eat away at your titan timer - completely harmless, and just fun to have more stuff to shoot at.

also nicely balanced in that if you chose to shoot them, to reduce your timer, you'd show up on the mini map, making you extremely vulnerable.

they literally took away nothing, only added many things.

completely incomprehensible to me how they could possibly bother anybody.

they're not enemy replacements, they're a simply mechanic, not to mention they add ambiance to a game that sorely needs it considering you can't have too many actual players running about because of what you mentioned [too many players = too many titans running around].

op_ivy

they were a mechanic designed to help eat away at your titan timer - completely harmless, and just fun to have more stuff to shoot at.

also nicely balanced in that if you chose to shoot them, to reduce your timer, you'd show up on the mini map, making you extremely vulnerable.

they're not enemy replacements, they're a simply mechanic, not to mention they add ambiance to a game that sorely needs it considering you can't have too many actual players running about because of what you mentioned [too many players = too many titans running around].

They also added immenimmensely to the feel of a larger scale battle than most fps, tf2 included

jem0208

Exactly, I feel like pretty much everyone who criticises the ai in the first didn’t really understand them.

Leyasu

Banned
You haven't been in the impressions thread on gaming side then.

Jem summed it up rather well. Tf1 always felt like a cod- styled shooter but with it's own DNA. It was all about fast movement, verticality and freedom of movement enabled by parkour, massive scale battles with loads of ai fodder, and the regular inclusion of fun to use and useful titans all within very well crafted maps supporting all of this.

Tf2 removed virtually all of this and now feels like cod but with some parkour and occasional robots. It's lost what made titanfall it's own thing. It's slower, maps are wide open limiting the movement the amazing movement of the first game and promoting camping, ai bots are all but gone (at least in the capacity of the first), and titans are rare and shitty.

Such a disaster of epic proportions and I'm super sad.

They have changed it quite a bit... But yet again show devs how you give players the chance to play on low ping servers of their choosing. Unlike 343 and their fucking stupid ideas. Perhaps someone from 343 could ask respawn how they could come up with such an amazing idea as to letting people choose what region they play in!! Fucking 343

Maybe the Gunfighter Magnum was developed to be part of the new BTB starting load out. Maybe they took issue to the regular Magnum as a starting weapon because the smart-link was "too OP"?

We're finally getting an Arena Sangelios map!

But it's going to be a bunch of assymetric corridors. :(

It can't be any worse than Molten.
It's going to be worse.

The only decent Arena map they released post launch was Stasis. Tyrant isn't too bad. All the others have sucked.

It can't be any worse than Molten.
It's going to be worse.

The only decent Arena map they released post launch was Stasis. Tyrant isn't too bad. All the others have sucked.

I like Stasis and Tyrant, Torque would be fine with better lighting. Molten has really messed up spawns, it could be slightly better, I don't think it's Overgrowth/Riptide bad.

i just... i just don't like assault

pretty much every game ends when the timer runs out, at which point i've just been bored of playing for a few minutes already.

precisely the same reason i don't like slayer :/

What's wrong with Molten? I've only played 2v2 on it but it seems fine.

The spawns are effectively fucked in every way imaginable. In 4v4, trapping people in the lava room is almost automatic. In FFA, it's practically the only spawn and the moment you move 10 feet from the spawn point, people spawn right behind you.

The map might be a decent assym, but the spawns are perhaps the worst in years.

jem0208

Whehey! I managed to get placed into Onyx in Team Arena!

Yeah, I only just finished my placement matches...

Another decent match of Riptide. That map has been massively improved. Also got matched against a to4 who were all champions and we didn't get destroyed. It was actually a pretty decent match. Still sucks that it happened when I was solo queuing but still.

BradC00

Whehey! I managed to get placed into Onyx in Team Arena!

Yeah, I only just finished my placement matches...

Another decent match of Riptide. That map has been massively improved. Also got matched against a to4 who were all champions and we didn't get destroyed. It was actually a pretty decent match. Still sucks that it happened when I was solo queuing but still.

will you partner with me? my group stopped playing or something.

The spawns are effectively fucked in every way imaginable. In 4v4, trapping people in the lava room is almost automatic. In FFA, it's practically the only spawn and the moment you move 10 feet from the spawn point, people spawn right behind you.

The map might be a decent assym, but the spawns are perhaps the worst in years.

I agree. I've seen the other team spawn in my cross hairs in lava room while going through the hallway. It's bad. Lol

And ppl.spartan charge around corners like my.clip :p

op_ivy

Hannibal scorpion

tumblr_ndoyjdEMVh1qgx323o1_r1_500.gif

Assault just isn't fun. It's 10 minutes of slayer and then once one team gets a cap it's over. I'm sure it could have been a great game mode for Halo 5 had they developed it from the start but nope. Had to make Breakout instead.

Top Bottom