• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

doom was a 90s-ass game about ripping off metal songs, being satanically kewl, and shooting the head of one of the creators of doom as the final boss.

doom was always a reflection of its times, this is the doom we deserve in 2016

Yeah, I can relate myself to this.

image.php

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm not saying the whole community, I'm saying any part of the community. Like, there are individual people I know within the community that I like / actually know, but no Halo community online is particularly inviting towards everyone, which is the main problem.

I felt very welcome in Ninja's chat since years I watch Halo, and the actual HCS/Proleague Thread on Beyond is the same way. I don't had the problems honestly.

Not saying the problems don't exist though, a lot of communities strike with their elitism ( like we here on HaloGAF) on newbies

Strider

I didn't even try Doom.

Maybe I would've liked it who knows... but I dont need to buy another game when I'm plenty happy with Halo and Overwatch is right around the corner. Those 2 are the only mp shooters I need for a long time.

Gwyn

No thanks we don't need cringy "emotes" in H5 and doom is trash played 3 matches and uninstalled.

To clarify by trash i mean there is no balance at all. Like wtf is that demon thing running around 1 shotting people???

yeah, noone wants to admit how good halo 5 mp is sadly. Even when i tell friends of how good it is, show them clips or ask them to watch the finals.. they just associate it with a doomed xbox, horrible xbox one reveal, horrible and arrogant 343 cause of mcc, lesser sales compared to its competition and whatever negative thing any article can pull up about anything ms/343/halo/sales related.

with all that clouding their head, they just shrug something like this off. Whatever though, as long as i can pull up mp games quickly i'll be happy. i just want to share the love sometimes :p

What's with all the armor designs in DOOM looking like they were done by 343?

Certain Affinity did the brunt of the DOOM armor design, and they were likewise one of the major wings of Halo 5 that were assigned with designing the armor (alongside a few other smaller companies).

yeah, noone wants to admit how good halo 5 mp is sadly. Even when i tell friends of how good it is, show them clips or ask them to watch the finals.. they just associate it with a doomed xbox, horrible xbox one reveal, horrible and arrogant 343 cause of mcc, lesser sales compared to its competition and whatever negative thing any article can pull up about anything ms/343/halo/sales related.

with all that clouding their head, they just shrug something like this off. Whatever though, as long as i can pull up mp games quickly i'll be happy. i just want to share the love sometimes :p

Halo 5 is the best game this generation that's been shit on by people afraid to enjoy it.

People just want to run around doing 360 no scopes, calling in airstrikes, and rage quitting when doing bad.

I didn't even try Doom.

Maybe I would've liked it who knows... but I dont need to buy another game when I'm plenty happy with Halo and Overwatch is right around the corner. Those 2 are the only mp shooters I need for a long time.

Overwatch was pretty fun! Although, some heroes felt a bit short versus others. that's what balancing patches are for right?

Halo 5 is the best game this generation that's been shit on by people afraid to enjoy it.

Or they think 343i should make a game other than Halo.

BraXzy

It's a shame how much negativity shrouds the Xbox in general, if they hadn't screwed up the pre-release and launch things would be different. Like I tell folks how good H5 is and they just relate it to that weaker console they own but don't use. I've mentioned Quantum Break to people and how much I liked it and they shrug it off because it's an X1 exclusive. Shame.

yea and even when those things tried to get patched up and they make up for their mistakes (xbox has turned around over the years but mcc is what it is) people still want to hate on it for whatever reasons they can think of, sure it has problems but not to the extent most people are putting them out to be. Plus from a gameplay perspective halo 5 achieves everything it tries to be almost perfectly. sure halo 5 probably has the most dedicated fan base to it than the other halos because most get turned off by how competitive it is all the time in arena but this game just brings it out in you. but people give it way too much crap because of the fact its hard or something isn't exactly perfect, like spawn but every arena based multiplayer game has spawn problems. people at the end of the just like to give halo 5 crap because the developer name isn't spelled bungie.

Akai__

Certain Affinity did the brunt of the DOOM armor design, and they were likewise one of the major wings of Halo 5 that were assigned with designing the armor (alongside a few other smaller companies).

Nope. Max Hoberman said that they (Certain Affinity) didn't do anything for Halo 5 this time, since they were busy with Doom and their own IP.

The armor/helmets for H5 come from 343i, Airborn Studios and Liquid Development.

It's a shame how much negativity shrouds the Xbox in general, if they hadn't screwed up the pre-release and launch things would be different. Like I tell folks how good H5 is and they just relate it to that weaker console they own but don't use. I've mentioned Quantum Break to people and how much I liked it and they shrug it off because it's an X1 exclusive. Shame.

The saddest thing is that always-online Xbox that Mattrick and co originally pitched would've probably worked out better in the long term for most people. And it's going to come to pass soon anyway. Really was ahead of its time.

BraXzy

The saddest thing is that always-online Xbox that Mattrick and co originally pitched would've probably worked out better in the long term for most people. And it's going to come to pass soon anyway. Really was ahead of its time.

It was ahead of its time, not everyone had (and some still don't have) the infrastructure to have a console like that. Plus the way they went about it wasn't great. And the focus on Kinect and all the side stuff like TV made things worse. Ahh well.

Xbox 1.5 B O Y Z

Let us build a campfire my friends. let us tell these tall tales of which were told to deaf ears before. let us weep in sorror and let our pain free...

wait.. uhh.. hahaha

But yeah guys, my little /rant over and does anyone know if any of the 343 staff mentioned any feedback for Firefight accepted yet? today is the last day it's live right?

Let us build a campfire my friends. let us tell these tall tales of which were told to deaf ears before. let us weep in sorror and let our pain free...

wait.. uhh.. hahaha

But yeah guys, my little /rant over and does anyone know if any of the 343 staff mentioned any feedback for Firefight accepted yet? today is the last day it's live right?

Not that I've seen. They really should just keep it going indefinitely and add updates as needed. Why remove a playlist that I'm sure so many people have really been enjoying over the past few days?

mo60

Is this matchmaking a joke?

How the hell did they matchmake a gold, diamonds, an onyx and a SR9 smurf together?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...oryMatchIndex=0&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

One match I played like a month ago had multiple bronze players matched with a platinum player on the same team. I was only in the bronze ranks then, but my team beat that team by like 15 kills. I wonder how that plat player reacted to the loss.

It was this one if I recall.
Screenshot-Original.png

Also, I seriously don't care about the console war much,but I only have two of the current gen consoles right now because the other one is still too expensive where I live.

BraXzy

I'm deciphering this as "Has 343 responded to any feedback yet"? And I'm gonna go ahead and say no, I'm sure once the beta ends Bravo will make a statement like:

"The beta was a huge success thank you everyone for jumping into the fight, 1 trillion shots were fired and 1000 Wardens will slain, great job Spartans. Thank you all for your feedback keep it coming, we will be keeping a close eye on it and will take it on board ty ty ty etc."

Think the whole thing went up in flames because Mattrick went about it the way he did. people get scared of change easily and just nitpicked the things that sounded bad, Glad Spencer replaced Mattrick cause he was going to run it into the ground with his pr talk. that and Spencer seems like he enjoys what hes doing because he himself is a gamer while Mattrick just made it look like his job. plus the always online thing would only work in a perfect world where internet never goes out and isp arent trying to pull shady shit every other day to make you spend more money.

Not that I've seen. They really should just keep it going indefinitely and add updates as needed. Why remove a playlist that I'm sure so many people have really been enjoying over the past few days?

Yeah, i agree. Slowly add in new* maps to keep the population high?? I want a plant the bomb objective where you have to plant 3 bombs in different locations! Each location with a MYTHIC BOSS SO YOU GOTTA DO BUTT SLAPPING MANEAUVERS TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah you know what i mean by new. :'(

I'm deciphering this as "Has 343 responded to any feedback yet"? And I'm gonna go ahead and say no, I'm sure once the beta ends Bravo will make a statement like:

"The beta was a huge success thank you everyone for jumping into the fight, 1 trillion shots were fired and 1000 Wardens will slain, great job Spartans. Thank you all for your feedback keep it coming, we will be keeping a close eye on it and will take it on board ty ty ty etc."

Wow LMAO i totally should proof-read before i hit submit. lol.

Fuchsdh

Nah, they have some valid points. Also: like 98% of the Halo community are baseline dorks to begin with, it's not like challenging community norms somehow exacerbates that. There's arguments to be made, considering Halo's never really had a great community, so "making it great again" is kind of a misnomer. That being said, I'd love for Halo 5's playerbase to actually consist of people I enjoy interacting with, rather than just enjoying the game and the game alone.

Considering the work we put into Community Evolved and both the positive stuff people talked about in interviews and the response to it, I'd say that at least a significant segment disagrees with you. I can't think of any community that is 100% sunshine and rainbows, but I think Halo is doing quite well for itself, especially considering the split when Bungie left. The issue is entirely one of self-selection; I'm not reading dumbass comments on a RUL video so I don't see it, and that's where the community's health and quality is entirely of your own making.

Also, just look at GAF's games communities (hell, look at off topic communities) and come back and tell me Halo is the worst or the most elitist or the most impenetrable. Compared to Dota we're the OT of brotherly love.

Also, "inviting towards everyone" is a bad metric to use. Communities are defined as much by their exclusion as they are their inclusivity. No one wants jerks.

BraXzy

Also, just look at GAF's games communities (hell, look at off topic communities) and come back and tell me Halo is the worst or the most elitist or the most impenetrable. Compared to Dota we're the OT of brotherly love.

Only because I'm constantly spreading it with my pure positive vibes.

BraXzy

I got stuck on
the last boss, ARGH
and have been playing Dark Souls 3 all week, I miss Halo :(

That was pretty killer. It took a while to figure out what I needed to do but it was still frustrating to execute. One of the lowest points for me.

I'm still waiting on my new GPU to arrive before I start DS3 :(

Crazy how fast brand perception can change. Im lucky most of my friends still like Xbox (very few play Halo though :( ).

It's pretty damn incredible really, how one E3 made things flip, among other things.

Only because I'm constantly spreading it with my pure positive vibes.

Not enough butts though, so your positive vibes are thrown out the door.

like Sir_Dany would say - GIT GUD

I got stuck on
the last boss, ARGH
and have been playing Dark Souls 3 all week, I miss Halo :(

Oh man that last boss!!! It took me 5 tries until i beat it. though, it was shorter than i originally thought. just a matter of always moving and staying out of danger.

QB SPOILERS:
what helped me is the full-auto shotty you can pick up in the bottom of the pool and using my RB special and isnta-melee animation the first guy, quick jumping zooming the 2nd and third guy.in the 2nd wave of dues the last big guy with the sheild gen pissed me off because he doesn't get affected by time-stop, plus the constant nades the last boss kept putting everyhere lol good luck! it was a pain on hard

Which 343i could have largely mitigated if there were splitscreen. Seriously - I hate to flog an already brutalised horse, but like you I keep trying to recommend just how good Halo 5 is to friends and even family, but with no easy way of showing it, it almost falls on deaf ears.

Considering the work we put into Community Evolved and both the positive stuff people talked about in interviews and the response to it, I'd say that at least a significant segment disagrees with you. I can't think of any community that is 100% sunshine and rainbows, but I think Halo is doing quite well for itself, especially considering the split when Bungie left. The issue is entirely one of self-selection; I'm not reading dumbass comments on a RUL video so I don't see it, and that's where the community's health and quality is entirely of your own making.

Also, "inviting towards everyone" is a bad metric to use. Communities are defined as much by their exclusion as they are their inclusivity. No one wants jerks.

I'm agreeing with you on this, but I'm not talking "no jerks allowed" so much as overlap with the "us gamers huh" demographic that have a tendency to alienate potential fans, e.g:

eU4UYrr.png

(the "corrupted childs" comment is the one i'm specifically calling to attention; the rest of it is fine)

HaloGAF in general is pretty good about that stuff, but complete newcomers to franchises typically don't have much else to go off of than the big names - Twitch, HaloWaypoint forums, etc. - and when those are cesspools when it comes to handling anything with a modicum of grace, such as Narcissa Wright's speedrunning situation or Waypoint threads regarding Six's canonical gender ultimately giving way to people shitting up the thread saying same-sex couples would be "tonally off" for the Halo franchise, it's completely understandable that aspects of the fandom are hard to swallow. Don't get me wrong, the Halo franchise itself has been insanely progressive (especially in the past few years), it's more that you have to wade through a lot of "us gamers, huh?" muck in order to find decent people who share the same interests.

I love all of you.

HaloGAF is known for being a bad community?
I really like this. Better than most of the communities I had been on Internet.

Fuchsdh

I'm agreeing with you on this, but I'm not talking "no jerks allowed" so much as overlap with the "us gamers huh" demographic that have a tendency to alienate potential fans, e.g:

eU4UYrr.png

(the "corrupted childs" comment is the one i'm specifically calling to attention; the rest of it is fine)

I'm pretty sure that corrupted childs comment is tongue-in-cheek and you shouldn't be getting worked up about it at all.

Top Bottom