• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Remove radar, assassinations and shotgun camping increases 5000%.

No, not really.

People camp because they know someone is coming and they can get an easy kill on the person. If the person camping didn’t know if someone was coming they wouldn’t just sit there. For instance, there are generally multiple ways of attacking a position. Because of radar, this allows the person just to sit in a corner with all their focus on one entrance way and use the radar to make sure nobody can flank them. It’s a crutch. No radar would force better situational awareness and punish people. I mean if you’re sitting in a corner with no radar. You don’t know if anyone is going to come by (high traffic areas are generally checked anyways, so the person is probably going to shit on you). Also, you’re also not helping your team at all when it comes to map control and power weapons (which is extremely important in Halo).

Not having a permanent Slayer/Arena social playlist is going to cause more smurf accounts. Currently there's no social playlist to warm up. Gimmicks like fiesta aren't suitable and BTB has BR starts so that doesn't work either.

I like radar so i can do this ...

Thanks Radar, you're the real MVP

I wish I had bronze players that just stood there and took it.

Gwyn

Now all they have to do is add a perm Team Doubles / snipers and fix team arena or add HCS playlist

edit: and make multi team 2v2v2 or 2v2v2v2 in arena maps

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No, not really.

People camp because they know someone is coming and they can get an easy kill on the person. If the person camping didn’t know if someone was coming they wouldn’t just sit there. For instance, there are generally multiple ways of attacking a position. Because of radar, this allows the person just to sit in a corner with all their focus on one entrance way and use the radar to make sure nobody can flank them. It’s a crutch. No radar would force better situational awareness and punish people. I mean if you’re sitting in a corner with no radar. You don’t know if anyone is going to come by (high traffic areas are generally checked anyways, so the person is probably going to shit on you). Also, you’re also not helping your team at all when it comes to map control and power weapons (which is extremely important in Halo).
See, you're only thinking of good players.

JackHerer

They actual made super-fiesta? Nice!! Hopping on for the first time this week since I had a business trip. Ready to get rekt while I shake off the rust.

EYEL1NER

Getting to play around with some of the high-level REQ versions of power weapons would be pretty cool but I didn't care for the Social Fiesta a couple weeks back when I tried it. I couldn't stay alive long enough to really try anything out. Whatever map I was on was small and upon spawning and seeing what I had, I would eat a rocket to the face or a Spartan laser shot would glance off my dome or whatever. I suppose I will give it a shot though.

I wonder if they would ever do a BTB Fiesta variant for a weekend... I don't know if I could do better in that or not, especially if an enemy team happened to all spawn snipers on a large map, but it feels like that would be a mode I would have more fun with.

48 more covie kills
I have like 6 more elite kills to complete my elite commendation. Played several hours last night - stayed up way too late lol. Missing firefight because I would totally be done with the the Forerunner and covenant enemy commendations. I'll probably play a few games of fiesta this weekend but I'm working nights and that makes getting on to play far more difficult.

Trup1aya

Once we drop these last few covey bastards we'll have nine commendation in lvl 4/5 and ten in lvl 5/5.

The end is nigh...

Completion Predictions?

link1201

Once we drop these last few covey bastards we'll have nine commendation in lvl 4/5 and ten in lvl 5/5.

The end is nigh...

Completion Predictions?
I'm hoping August. I haven't been tracking how quickly we've been progressing through each commendation though so its just a wild guess.

Nowise10

This fiesta definitely isn't random. Req weapons are definitely weighted to not spawn as often as regular weapons, and legendary reqs are like one person a match will spawn with one. It feels like its only 40% of all the total req weapons are in its circulation.

No, not really.

Well said, but it doesn't matter. Dice and other radarians won't ever believe you because they're blinded by those little red dots. They can't imagine a world where they don't focus on that 5% screen estate instead of the other audio/visual cues that's provided to them. They can't realize that they should be sticking with teammates and watching friendly indicators to provide support. They just can't utilize the feedback 343 provided to help with awareness.

They just need those little red dots.

Just had some sweaty as hell Breakout matches against diamonds.

But I held my own, suprising. My aim's back, the cobwebs are off, and summer's coming up. Going to REQ soon fam

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well said, but it doesn't matter. Dice and other radarians won't ever believe you because they're blinded by those little red dots. They can't imagine a world where they don't focus on that 5% screen estate instead of the other audio/visual cues that's provided to them. They can't realize that they should be sticking with teammates and watching friendly indicators to provide support. They just can't utilize the feedback 343 provided to help with awareness.

They just need those little red dots.
The fuck man, I hardly ever look at radar. If anything it's my downfall to not use it enough. However, I think turning it off will only embolden the most pathetic and trolly tactics in the game.

Whats the visual cue for someone sprinting around the corner about to spartan charge anything they see?

Oh right, huddle/turtle with my teammates as if i never die. Sometimes spawning away from them. :p

Turtling sounds soo very unfun and slow.

jem0208

Remove radar, assassinations and shotgun camping increases 5000%.
Bullshit.

Radar promoted camping, this has been shown countless times.

Whats the visual cue for someone sprinting around the corner about to spartan charge anything they see?

Oh right, huddle/turtle with my teammates as if i never die. Sometimes spawning away from them. :p

Turtling sounds soo very unfun and slow.

Radar encourages turtling though.

Strider

I'm for the suggested radar change that the range slightly increases but you only show up when doing spartan abilities...

Take radar away and sprinting becomes a huge problem IMO... Both offensively and as an escape. I don't like radar as is though.

Bullshit.

Radar promoted camping, this has been shhown countless times.
Don't do it, jem. Don't take the bait. Dice clearly knows what he's talking about! I mean, despite not using the radar at all while the enemy does, Dice clearly has the expertise and vast wealth of knowledge to provide valuable insight on the matter. It's not like he should believe anyone else over his own bias, especially when he's openly admitted to not using it.

Didn't you know? The less you use something, the more you know about it. And the less you know something, the more you can theorize on how things would work without that something. It's a level of genius that many of us have yet to reach.

EDIT:
I'm for the suggested radar change that the range slightly increases but you only show up when doing spartan abilities...

Take radar away and sprinting becomes a huge problem IMO... Both offensively and as an escape. I don't like radar as is though.
A huge problem, or the saving grace? How often do we get people low or no shield only for them to escape? We can't chase because then that'd be giving the enemy the upper hand, but without radar you can be more aggressive and more effectively take out those who just run away from every encounter.

As it stands now, it's better to not chase at all and let all those kills get away, which builds frustration for players of all skill levels.

Without radar:

Less camping
More sprinting
More spartan charging
More assassinations

Is that right? What else am i missing wether it be pro or con. Lets get this list big

Id be OK with this

Trup1aya

Don't do it, jem. Don't take the bait. Dice clearly knows what he's talking about! I mean, despite not using the radar at all while the enemy does, Dice clearly has the expertise and vast wealth of knowledge to provide valuable insight on the matter. It's not like he should believe anyone else over his own bias, especially when he's openly admitted to not using it.

Didn't you know? The less you use something, the more you know about it. And the less you know something, the more you can theorize on how things would work without that something. It's a level of genius that many of us have yet to reach.

EDIT:
A huge problem, or the saving grace? How often do we get people low or no shield only for them to escape? We can't chase because then that'd be giving the enemy the upper hand, but without radar you can be more aggressive and more effectively take out those who just run away from every encounter.

As it stands now, it's better to not chase at all and let all those kills get away, which builds frustration for players of all skill levels.

It's always been better not to chase, since halo CE.

I really don't think people are escaping more often, it's just that the new abilities change what 'risky behavior' means

I keep hearing the argument "if this was halo 3, that guy wouldn't have gotten away with that "... Well, if this was Halo 3, he probably wouldn't have tried that.

So before, someone might have resorted to turtling a doorway to take shots. Halo 5 might allow him to come completely out of cover to take those shots... In either case, over extending could mean death. But in H5, you'd have to move further to be considered over extending.

Strider

With or without radar it's a bad play to chase kills lol There is no "saving grace" to that.

If radar is gone... Once they are out off sight they are as good as gone. They can utilize sprint and the other spartan abilities to be in a million different positions and you have no good way of tracking it... That would never be worth the risk to chase unless you're literally right on them to begin with.

There are absolutely pros to taking away radar. Chasing is not one of them.

Strider

I just imagine this game becoming all types of fuckery with spartan charging ground pounding excess sprinting and whatever else if there's no radar lol

I'd rather have no radar than the radar we have now in its current form.... But the modified radar sounds the best to me.

Without radar:

Less camping
More sprinting
More spartan charging
More assassinations

Is that right? What else am i missing wether it be pro or con. Lets get this list big

- Players actually have to rely on sound and environmental design
- Players are required to develop a better understanding of how maps and encounters will play out if they want to engage successfully
- PvE enemies probably won't be given as many "let me teleport / spawn in right behind you" moves

- Players actually have to rely on sound and environmental design
- Players are required to develop a better understanding of how maps and encounters will play out if they want to engage successfully
- PvE enemies probably won't be given as many "let me teleport / spawn in right behind you" moves

If they removed radar, would that alter future map designs then? hmmmm

With or without radar it's a bad play to chase kills lol There is no "saving grace" to that.
No, no it's not. You can chase kills blindly or you choose not to lose your situational awareness while advancing towards that kill. Not all chases are created equal.
If radar is gone... Once they are out off sight they are as good as gone. They can utilize sprint and the other spartan abilities to be in a million different positions and you have no good way of tracking it... That would never be worth the risk to chase unless you're literally right on them to begin with.
The hyperbole is strong here.

There are absolutely pros to taking away radar. Chasing is not one of them.
If we're talking about chasing with radar vs chasing without radar, it absolutely is a positive lol.
I just imagine this game becoming all types of fuckery with spartan charging ground pounding excess sprinting and whatever else if there's no radar lol
Hyperbole overload.

I'd rather have no radar than the radar we have now in its current form.... But the modified radar sounds the best to me.
At least to start, yeah. The radar we have now should be changed to sprint/sound based as a fair compromise.

Strider

By all means... Play some customs without radar and report back.

The option is there to get a good feel for the game without radar. I think it'd be an improvement but I don't think it's this glorious change some people will swear by that's all.

The biggest bonus to radar removal is to get rid of a lot of the crouching with Storm Rifle bullshit.

Strider

Anyway i think the final decision on radar will happen soon... There have been multiple calls between 343 and pros to discuss settings for Pro League so any changes would have to be announced fairly soon. I have to imagine having the same settings for MM and pro matches was a conscious decision that they would like to keep intact.

I was watching Spartan's stream a couple days ago and the first thing he did after the call was get on stream and start talking about radar sooooo it had to have been discussed. I think much like the community pros are very torn on radar in H5 as well.

Trup1aya

I'm all for a radar that only show Spartan ability use...

But if we are to remove radar altogether, I think clamber will have to go with it. As it stands, clamber allows for so many points of entry into a given location compared to previous halos, that there would be no way to anticipate an aggressors moves...

Radar currently mitigates this. And still would if it was Spartan Ability based. I think it was Roy who said something very similar.

Suggestion that would probably be panned by most people that play the game:

For Ranked gametypes, disable Motion Tracker. Scoring principles remain the same (e.g. "X number of Y objective, kills, etc. to win").

For Social gametypes, enable Motion Tracker. Scoring is set to unlimited, with matches on set timers (e.g. BTB Slayer is unlimited kills to win, 15 minutes, Social Slayer is unlimited kills and 10 minutes, etc.).

People looking to just shit about / have "background gaming" going on while they do other stuff would probably benefit from being able to go off of their own merits (e.g. "I got 20 kills!" as opposed to "I only contributed 5% of the win"), as well as being able to go off of set match time limits if they're just looking to kill time.

We're getting a partial REQ reveal right? I wonder if we'll be able to see how many blurred out maps there are. We now know there's the snow variant of Torque and Riptide, but they aren't remixes, rather they're for Infection. There has to be new maps as well, probably Reach related, but Countdown is Reach's only good Arena map. Forge World is a possibility and I wouldn't mind a Warzone map based on the Spire from Reach as the the middle structure.

Top Bottom