• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

mo60

Suggestion that would probably be panned by most people that play the game:

For Ranked gametypes, disable Motion Tracker. Scoring principles remain the same (e.g. "X number of Y objective, kills, etc. to win").

For Social gametypes, enable Motion Tracker. Scoring is set to unlimited, with matches on set timers (e.g. BTB Slayer is unlimited kills to win, 15 minutes, Social Slayer is unlimited kills and 10 minutes, etc.).

People looking to just shit about / have "background gaming" going on while they do other stuff would probably benefit from being able to go off of their own merits (e.g. "I got 20 kills!" as opposed to "I only contributed 5% of the win"), as well as being able to go off of set match time limits if they're just looking to kill time.

They should only disable radar for team arena for now or a potential future HCS gametype if it's ever put into halo 5.

I'd prefer radar remains consistent across the board. I also think Halo moves too fast with sprint to have disable radar now, especially when you take into account arena map design.

Strider

cBj1LTf.png

edit: to clarify, i mean like, 2spooky4me bedsheet ghost, not halo vehicle ghost-ghost

double edit: or destiny dinkle 9000 ghost for that matter

Nowise10

If you catch me on throw me an invite, I'll be down. I was solo queueing till I partied up with someone who I played with, then they got two peeps in and we 4 stacked it. 4 stacks are always great, but half of them were Champs so I was struggling against the folks we matched with xD

What is your gamertag?

- Players actually have to rely on sound and environmental design
- Players are required to develop a better understanding of how maps and encounters will play out if they want to engage successfully
- PvE enemies probably won't be given as many "let me teleport / spawn in right behind you" moves
But if we are to remove radar altogether, I think clamber will have to go with it. As it stands, clamber allows for so many points of entry into a given location compared to previous halos, that there would be no way to anticipate an aggressors moves...

Radar currently mitigates this. And still would if it was Spartan Ability based. I think it was Roy who said something very similar.
  • Clamber -- "Radar currently mitigates this." You currently don't show up on radar when clambering, and you most certainly can anticipate an attacker's moves because there are only so many ways an enemy can attack you lol. There aren't infinite approaches to any location.
  • Spartan Charge -- High risk, medium reward considering it's only as strong as a regular melee.
  • Ground Pound -- It's incredibly loud and obnoxious, has a long enough animation and is high risk, high reward. You may also be giving up map control.
It's like some of you didn't play the DOOM beta or have never played a game without radar. Never played Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc.? These games are insanely fast and have way more verticality than Halo 5, yet here we are having the same tired discussions lol.

Just a quick search for Unreal Tournament gameplay shows how you can have fast, visceral gameplay without the need for your movement being gimped by an overpowered motion tracker.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Never played Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc.? These games are insanely fast and have way more verticality than Halo 5, yet here we are having the same tired discussions lol.
Would never in a million years play those on console.

Nowise10

Just got quit banned for quitting one game. I've quit one game out of the past 43 games. My last quit was over 2 days ago.

Lets here the justifications in this. Please.

• Clamber -- "Radar currently mitigates this." You currently don't show up on radar when clambering, and you most certainly can anticipate an attacker's moves because there are only so many ways an enemy can attack you lol. There aren't infinite approaches to any location.
  • Spartan Charge -- High risk, medium reward considering it's only as strong as a regular melee.
  • Ground Pound -- It's incredibly loud and obnoxious, has a long enough animation and is high risk, high reward. You may also be giving up map control.
It's like some of you didn't play the DOOM beta or have never played a game without radar. Never played Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc.? These games are insanely fast and have way more verticality than Halo 5, yet here we are having the same tired discussions lol.

Just a quick search for Unreal Tournament gameplay shows how you can have fast, visceral gameplay without the need for your movement being gimped by an overpowered motion tracker.

Hell, I've played nothing but Halo (unless Metroid Prime: Hunters multi or Nexuiz count) and I still want the Motion Tracker out.

Just got quit banned for quitting one game. I've quit one game out of the past 43 games. My last quit was over 2 days ago.

Your track record's pretty shit. Don't see how repeat offenses being more severe should be an affront to your sensibilities.

Dice

Wouldn't be surprised if you were somehow reported by the champs getting pissy, but that matchup was ridiculous.

Would never in a million years play those on console.
Few things:
  1. You are the problem with the gaming industry and why arena shooters have essentially died.
  2. What the ever loving shit does that have to do with radar? Do you lose your eyes, ears, thumbs and general thinking ability when using a controller vs using a keyboard? Because if the answer to that is no, then that has shit all to do with this discussion, unless point 3 -->
  3. You're just further proving that radar only serves as a crutch that waters down gameplay, a tool designed for babbies that many of them don't even fully utilize. Then you know what happens when a competent player matches against someone who doesn't care for using radar but blindly defends it, such as yourself? They get their shit wrecked because their every move is given to the competent player, at which point these babbies go into whatever community they're a part of to bitch and moan about how Halo 5 sucks. These players blame every system in the game before they even put a thought to consider, "Hey, maybe this tool that's providing so much information is actually doing more harm than good to the meta game."
Hell, I've played nothing but Halo (unless Metroid Prime: Hunters multi or Nexuiz count) and I still want the Motion Tracker out.
I really enjoyed Hunters multiplayer and would love for Nintendo to make a Halo multiplayer out of Metroid Prime. Imagine a 4v4 Metroid Prime arena style multiplayer on the NX, granted that it doesn't take away from the core single player experience? Could be exactly what Nintendo needs.

Nowise10

Your track record's pretty shit. Don't see how repeat offenses being more severe should be an affront to your sensibilities.

I went even further. 4 quits out of the last 100 matches I've played. I myself don't understand how you can defend it. Sorry I quit 4 games in a day last month. I deserve the guillotine next time I quit.

GT is BraXzyy :)

We should go hard in Breakout tonight. I started yesterday only needing one game to get to Onyx. I'm currently Diamond 5. Lost like 5 games in a row last night, was on the verge of tears.

Trup1aya

No people don't show up on radar while clambering, but they typically show up in their approach to clamber, which gives the defensive player an idea where they'll emerge. In Halo 3, for example, this wasn't an issue, because the game mechanics allowed the devs to use map design to funnel players through specific routes.

No there aren't an infinite number of approaches to any locations, but there are quite a few more than in Halo 1-3, and even more than in Reach (minus the jetpack) and 4, thanks to the ability to use clamber to vary ones approach.

For these reason, I feel like removing radar would, in many instances, reward chasing. Which would also be bad for the meta.

I think the best solution on these maps would be to have the radar only reveal uses of Spartan Abilities, except maybe ground pound.

If there was no clamber, I'd be all for removing radar, but as it stands, Clamber makes encounters too unpredictable in my opinion. They should have just designed the maps to encourage crouch jumping and spring jumping.

I really enjoyed Hunters multiplayer and would love for Nintendo to make a Halo multiplayer out of Metroid Prime. Imagine a 4v4 Metroid Prime arena style multiplayer on the NX, granted that it doesn't take away from the core single player experience? Could be exactly what Nintendo needs.

Project Livechamber is actually an NX exclusive. keikakumeansplan.jpg

I’m interested in how the banhammer works (obviously they won’t tell us because they don’t want people exploiting it.) From your recent games, I wouldn’t say you deserve a ban. You really haven’t quit that often recently. Only thing I can think of is the system keeps track of all your DNFs and the more they add up the harsher and more frequent your penalty will be.

Dice

Few things:
  1. You are the problem with the gaming industry and why arena shooters have essentially died.
  2. What the ever loving shit does that have to do with radar? Do you lose your eyes, ears, thumbs and general thinking ability when using a controller vs using a keyboard? Because if the answer to that is no, then that has shit all to do with this discussion, unless point 3 -->
  3. You're just further proving that radar only serves as a crutch that waters down gameplay, a tool designed for babbies that many of them don't even fully utilize. Then you know what happens when a competent player matches against someone who doesn't care for using radar but blindly defends it, such as yourself? They get their shit wrecked because their every move is given to the competent player, at which point these babbies go into whatever community they're a part of to bitch and moan about how Halo 5 sucks. These players blame every system in the game before they even put a thought to consider, "Hey, maybe this tool that's providing so much information is actually doing more harm than good to the meta game."
1. Don't act like you know me. I supported arena shooters WELLLLL past their death. The reason they died is because console games went the restrictive tactical path of CoD and BF, modeling after Goldeneye, which makes sense for them. Consoles had the money so they guided the future of the genre. Halo was a very bold and ambitious project always trying to push it as far as it could go, but it would and could never be the arena shooters in their heart and soul.
2. I don't even know what you're on about with the radar and how that relates to arena shooters. I'm talking about arena shooters on a controller being like playing a piano with mittens. It makes no sense. No analog stick controls have ever even at pro level proven themselves to be adequate in comparison. There is a reason those shooters bombed the fuck out when they tried to get them going on consoles. Yes, people would just play at whatever level is actually attainable, but that level among the most dedicated would still be far below what is in reach of most on PC. There is a reason CS was not popular on consoles and that effect is amplified x100 with all the movement and directions of arena shooters.
3. You clearly are clearly making this way too personal for yourself and demonizing anyone who speaks slightly to the contrary. As I said before, I hardly use radar at all and it probably gets me in trouble in Halo. The reason for that is because aside from some drunken LAN parties with Halo 2 in college, I never played Halo until this game. Out of my dedication to arena type games, I was never really into those other heavy radar use games so most of my experience with it at all is from space shooters. I don't have a deep attachment to it. I'm only pointing out the fact that the style of play one would look for in those arena shooters you mention has never and might never be done properly on consoles. It isn't people being too big of babies to handle it, it's about the whole console environment being garbage for it compared to a nigh-universally available alternative.

Strider

Another Team Arena playlist refresh:

May 23: Through discussions with pro teams and players, the final list of maps & game types for the summer season will finalized and Team Arena will be updated with the locked list. Team Arena will mirror the official maps and game types for the HCS Pro League and Open Circuit.

So arena is def becoming Team HCS playlist.... Which I'm all for....

But what does that mean for the gametypes that don't make it though I wonder. Left out of MM entirely oooooorrrr....?

BraXzy

We should go hard in Breakout tonight. I started yesterday only needing one game to get to Onyx. I'm currently Diamond 5. Lost like 5 games in a row last night, was on the verge of tears.

Won't be on tonight bud, out celebrating a new job. Tomorrow maybe? I'm in the UK so my night is different to yours also xD

Top Bottom