• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Tawpgun

If I recall....

I believe the colored undersuits were added in (in H4 development) because people complained how the armor looked too small and didnt cover enough of vital organs. So the colored suit gives the illusion of more armor.

And They have a point

BraXzy

Clutch kill, sudden death!

This game is pretty fun.

Completely random point but.. I've never heard that water bubbling sound effect before in the bottom of that area. I wonder how much time was spent by someone to get that in and I wonder how many people actually notice :3

It's not really a meme, well maybe it is a meme? People just want black undersuits back, they look much much better and contrast the armour pieces better.

I'm sure there are better examples but this is the only one I found from a quick Google.
Oh wow, I never picked up on that. I can see why some would want it. It should be an option for those who want it. I need the colored gloves to easily remind me what team I'm on, though.

If I recall....

I believe the colored undersuits were added in (in H4 development) because people complained how the armor looked too small and didnt cover enough of vital organs. So the colored suit gives the illusion of more armor.

And They have a point
Yeah. Until 343 changes their armor design to not be floating pieces on a blank unitard, the colored undersuits are probably necessary. Just look at the Helljumper armor, why is there so much empty space between the shoulders and the armor? Looks like it's not on properly, as if it needs to be pulled down lol:

BraXzy

Oh wow, I never picked up on that. I can see why some would want it. It should be an option for those who want it. I need the colored gloves to easily remind me what team I'm on, though.

Very good point with the gloves but yeah, it's mainly the body/upper areas that a lot of folks aren't a fan of. But like Tawp said, there's a reason for it, but it's more covering up a poor design choice imo.

Life was better when I was ignorant to things. Now I can't unsee the lack of armor and colored suits.

Very good point with the gloves but yeah, it's mainly the body/upper areas that a lot of folks aren't a fan of. But like Tawp said, there's a reason for it, but it's more covering up a poor design choice imo.
So, I guess it isn't a meme. I thought it was satire at halo waypoint. No one really described it. I just saw posters bringing up black undersuits without a description.

BraXzy

Life was better when I was ignorant to things. Now I can't unsee the lack of armor and colored suits.

I'm so so sorry xD

So, I guess it isn't a meme. I thought it was satire at halo waypoint. No one really described it. I just saw posters bringing up black undersuits without a description.

Well people probably harp on about it half jokingly at this point, it's not gonna be changed, it's unlikely anyway. Probably feedback they'll take on board for H6.

TCKaos

"Let's remove this compound torso/codpiece component that completely covers the stomach area and sides."

"Oh shit, it looks like their stomach and sides are completely unarmored. What do we do?"

"Use the paint bucket tool."

You know how many dumdums Eugn lets slide around here? You should be honored he even breathed a thought in your direction.

Honored.

Not as bad as that Fraudu1entmoose fellow. You know, proud supporter of #TeamToggleCrouch, led by The Last Toggle Croucher.

I'm legit honored every time I see his face or hear his voice. He's like the redheaded step-child I wish I could have one day.

I am great, it's true.

I think we have a cultural difference when it comes to interpretation of acceptable rudeness. And Eugn had just straight up made fun of how I write. I don't think it's unreasonable to take issue with that, even if he only intended it rather lightheartedly (not that he ever claimed that).

I don't claim that. Your writing in those posts was atrocious.

Bad writing is especially annoying in this context since this is an online discussion board, where nearly all communication takes place through writing. In order to have a worthwhile discussion, everyone has to take some time to make sure their ideas are communicated well. If people can't figure out what you're saying, then there is no point in posting, and you are essentially disrespecting the other members of the community by wasting their time.

And to go back to your original posts, I didn't even disagree much with your basic points, once I figured out what they were (though they weren't terribly novel). ARC has bad pathing (which is intimately tied to the lack of good cover), but this is how you write posts about that:

The huge issue with ARC is that the only ways out of the base and armory and into the main playing area are easily covered by sight-lines provided by the garage. If you've got one base and the garage then there's literally only two places that the enemy team could be coming from, and the only reason you wouldn't be watching that area at all times is to take out bosses.

Eh, I think Escape from ARC is worse than March on Stormbreak, but not by much. Most of Stormbreak's problems lay in the design of the Fortress itself and relative to the rest of the map. The Lochagos encounter is different--which is good that it is different-- but having him be worth 150 VP isn't good. To me the biggest problem with March on Stormbreak is that all the entrances to the Fortress are on one half of the structure. This is somewhat of a two edged sword, though. On the positive side, it means players have to leave the Fortress if they want to get Warden. On the down side, it means that players attacking the Fortress are walking into a hell of a bottleneck.

ARC has the problem of not having enough routes for players to take. There's only 2 ways for a player to approach an Armory from their own base. There's only 1 path from Armory to Armory. There's only 1 path from Home Base to Garage. The vehicle paths on the map force players into pinch points, instead of allowing for a stealth route. All of the Legendary bosses are under the sphere of influence of the Garage. The team that controls the Garage can prevent the other team from even getting to the Legendary bosses by holding these two sightlines.

arc-sightlines.png

BraXzy

Thanks for the colored under armor BraXzy

GDI I take it back, I'm not okay taking the blame for it.

I'm not sure how many more times I can take seeing these posted before sinking a large amount of money on them. Ah well, time to check out r/Halo and see what's happening on the front pa-oh for fucks sake

First time I saw it I didn't even realise it was a figure and not a render. Might need to join you!

Yeah. Until 343 changes their armor design to not be floating pieces on a blank unitard, the colored undersuits are probably necessary. Just look at the Helljumper armor, why is there so much empty space between the shoulders and the armor? Looks like it's not on properly, as if it needs to be pulled down lol:

Honestly, I think the wonky armor placement is because it's easier to animate for multiple models when you don't have to worry too much about armor pieces clipping.

In terms of lore (zzzZzzz) it bother me because the parts of the human body you probably want to reinforce the most are the joints, especially when you it's supposed to be powered armor.

Dont worry braxzy. Itll be over soon. Just close your eyes. Close your eyes and take the
Blame!!! you HERETIC!!! Boo this man!!!!

<3

Trup1aya

So apparently Brian Reed deactivated his Twitter due to harrassment over Halo5's story...

#HaloX?

I'm all for constructive criticism, but damn if social media didn't take the general shittiness of the Internet and magnify it 100-fold

Nowise10

So apparently Brian Reed quit Twitter due to harrassment over Halo5's story...

#HaloX?

I'm all for constructive criticism, but damn if social media didn't take the general shittiness of the Internet and magnify it 100-fold

Don't purposely mislead millions of fans and it won't happen. Game's story was an outright lie and disappointment in every aspect.

Either way, I just looked and his twitter is still active. Funny that their is zero mention of Halo at all on his profile https://twitter.com/brianreed

Don't purposely mislead millions of fans and it won't happen. Game's story was an outright lie and disappointment in every aspect.

That's blaming the victim. So what if he did a bad job with the story? Don't imply that he brought this on himself. He's a fiction writer who's being harassed, which is just about the saddest reason I've seen harassers use to justify their shittiness.

Akai__

Are you being serious? How does that justify anything of the shit he gets? And no, even if the story would be literally perfect, people would still be assholes about something, since all they can do is insult other people, instead of giving actual critisicm. Don't blame the victim here...

Trup1aya

Either way, I just looked and his twitter is still active. Funny that their is zero mention of Halo at all on his profile https://twitter.com/brianreed

That outta teach me to trust shit I read on the Internet...

Still the campaign "lie" was probably more Marketing folks than the campaign writers... Not to mention, it appears there were various rewrites, some of which might have taken place after marketing plans set in stone. And of course, none of this is justification for harrassment.

What annoys me is they remedied this design issue with the Spartans on Osiris. Both Buck and lock had additional armor plating on their stomachs, while Vale and Tanaka had the unique under suits that looked a heck of a lot more sturdy than what's found on the cookie cutter multiplayer Spartans.

Nowise10

That's blaming the victim. So what if he did a bad job with the story? Don't imply that he brought this on himself. He's a fiction writer who's being harassed, which is just about the saddest reason I've seen harassers use to justify their shittiness.

Are you being serious? How does that justify anything of the shit he gets? And no, even if the story would be literally perfect, people would still be assholes about something, since all they can do is insult other people, instead of giving actual critisicm. Don't blame the victim here...

I am stating how the world works, unfortunately. Was anything in my post a lie? You do a bad job for such a big and meaningful responsibility, expect a bad crowd reaction. People are jerks and will continue to be jerks, but the reality is if you do a decent job in you role, their won't be as many jerks and a lot more supporters.

Karl2177

I am great, it's true.

I don't claim that. Your writing in those posts was atrocious.

Bad writing is especially annoying in this context since this is an online discussion board, where nearly all communication takes place through writing. In order to have a worthwhile discussion, everyone has to take some time to make sure their ideas are communicated well. If people can't figure out what you're saying, then there is no point in posting, and you are essentially disrespecting the other members of the community by wasting their time.

And to go back to your original posts, I didn't even disagree much with your basic points, once I figured out what they were (though they weren't terribly novel). ARC has bad pathing (which is intimately tied to the lack of good cover), but this is how you write posts about that:

I'm always surprised when people use my criticism posts with high regard. I always feel like I have a list of grievances and I just slap them together in a moderately cohesive jumble. Then again I sometimes reread my Halo 4 bullshit list every once in a while and see how many of those things got fixed later in Halo 4's lifetime or for Halo 5. Then I think to myself, was I part of the solution or part of the problem?

blamite

I wonder if 343 would be willing to add another slider to choose whatever undersuit color you want. Given the big changes they've already made to armor and emblem colors not too long ago, it doesn't seem too far outside the realm of possibility.

BraXzy

I wonder if 343 would be willing to add another slider to choose whatever undersuit color you want. Given the big changes they've already made to armor and emblem colors not too long ago, it doesn't seem too far outside the realm of possibility.

Depends how the stuff is textured, could be super complicated to set up for all the armour pieces. Then again, it might be simple idk xD

omg hoops <3

IT'S AMAZING!

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the CoD'esque movement, small corridor maps, and some weapon being way easier to use than the ones you spawn with.

I don’t understand why we don’t have more arena community maps. I wish it was like Reach when they had a community maps playlist and the maps that are highly received are permanently added to the other playlist. The forge community is making all these wonderful maps and you don’t use them.

I don&#8217;t understand why we don&#8217;t have more arena community maps. I wish it was like Reach when they had a community maps playlist and the maps that are highly received are permanently added to the other playlist. The forge community is making all these wonderful maps and you don&#8217;t use them.

They'll probably come once 343i stops focusing on arena content, and starts focusing on REQs as a revenue stream with cosmetics and power weapons.

Top Bottom