• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Trup1aya

Great video by Psycho Duck on why Magnum starts > BR starts in H5 BTB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3EjjDo4VT8

For example, the red reticule for BR's is double the area for the warthog gun i.e to have a warthog gunner you need to give up two BR wielding players, its clearly not worth it and the only Arena mode with warthogs renders them useless.

Yeah I watched this earlier and he hits the nail on the head.

Another thing that I still don't understand is the number of people still craving BR starts in Arena. The current magnum effectively takes the place of the H2 and H3 BR, in terms of utility. The stagnation we currently see on BTB maps would only be worse on the Arena maps.

Madness

He just announced he's retiring from playing competitive Halo and moving into a coaching role.

It is for the best. He just doesn't have the skills and reflexes or dedication for Halo 5 like he did in the past. Just very hard. Father time gets us all. Look at Ogre2. A lot of these older pros also have trouble doing nightly scrims daily.

They should pick up another top player, maybe APG, Spartan etc. Ace and Naded are the best and Maniac is always good on LAN. With Flamesword gone and coaching we could see an even more dominant OpTic team.

singhr1

It is for the best. He just doesn't have the skills and reflexes or dedication for Halo 5 like he did in the past. Just very hard. Father time gets us all. Look at Ogre2. A lot of these older pros also have trouble doing nightly scrims daily.

They should pick up another top player, maybe APG, Spartan etc. Ace and Naded are the best and Maniac is always good on LAN. With Flamesword gone and coaching we could see an even more dominant OpTic team.

Agreed, he admitted that himself. I wish him and Optic the best.

Gwyn

just checked,

157 silver packs and 190 gold packs left...

gonna take me awhile

Damn, did you start late in h5 or not really active?

I finished all REQs 2 weeks ago but i got lucky with a glitch from GAME.uk pre order and i got a free warzone bundle and then another glitch in game where i got refunded 14 premium packs (dunno why).

In total i spent $15 in gold req packs but i have around 22~ days played time

no but seriously who keeps their mongoose cards? and then you open a sweet bronze pack and it's another variant on the mongoose and you just know that 343 is fucking with you

Fuchsdh

The whole "not as young as I used to" thing with video games has always struck me as weird. Is there really that much of a difference in reflexes and hand-eye-coordination between a 18 year old and a 30 year old? I'd say factors aside from the physical matter far more—like how you can't risk years chasing something or a limited window if you want to get started on another career or going back to school, starting a family and needing a stable income, et al.

Trup1aya

The whole "not as young as I used to" thing with video games has always struck me as weird. Is there really that much of a difference in reflexes and hand-eye-coordination between a 18 year old and a 30 year old? I'd say factors aside from the physical matter far more—like how you can't risk years chasing something or a limited window if you want to get started on another career or going back to school, starting a family and needing a stable income, et al.

Yes! Huge difference...

I might not be as rapid for people who steadily excercize these skills over this time frame, but the decline does happen.

I liked his personality when he played. So laid back and not so dudebro serious.

That's me, totally laid back.

They should just make the Oni Hog the default one.

I also wish social playlists prioritized connection over everything. Just give me 9 other players on the east coast and let's go.
As much as I would love this, it would be overpowered.
Yes! Huge difference...

I might not be as rapid for people who steadily excercize these skills over this time frame, but the decline does happen.
Depends on the person. The opposite can happen, as well. Some people get better with age because knowledge and experience can strongly outweigh a slight decrease in reflexes.

BraXzy

Great video by Psycho Duck on why Magnum starts > BR starts in H5 BTB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3EjjDo4VT8

For example, the red reticule for BR's is double the area for the warthog gun i.e to have a warthog gunner you need to give up two BR wielding players, its clearly not worth it and the only Arena mode with warthogs renders them useless.

Really good video, clear concise explanation of the issue. Hopefully it is actually taken on board and change is potential made.

RIP Flamesword

A shame, but maybe it will be for the best for the Org. Good luck to him anyway.

Trup1aya

As much as I would love this, it would be overpowered.

Depends on the person. The opposite can happen, as well. Some people get better with age because knowledge and experience can strongly outweigh a slight decrease in reflexes.

I don't want to understate the importance of knowledge and experience (it can an often does offset/exceed the decline in physical attributes/ reflexes) I'm just saying that the decline in reflexes between 18 and 30 is real. I'd say it's very rare to see marked improvements in reflexes during that timeframe.

When your talking about a game like Halo 5, which has as much new nuance as it does concepts that experienced players may have mastered, it isn't unfathomable that "older" players might start struggling.

Strider

I felt like FS moving to coach was a long time coming. Honestly seems like a win/win?

He gets to stay with the optic org/brand, keep making youtube content with the brand, still involved with competitive Halo, etc. all without the pressure of competing directly and grinding the game constantly (if you actually want to succeed competitively).

Coaching sounds great lol

jem0208

Yes! Huge difference...

I'm pretty sure studies have shown that there isn't that large of a decrease before you start getting properly old. Can't link any now because I'm on mobile but that's what I gathered based off of when this discussion has been had previously.

Trup1aya

I'm pretty sure studies have shown that there isn't that large of a decrease before you start getting properly old. Can't link any now because I'm on mobile but that's what I gathered based off of when this discussion has been had previously.

I don't have any studies, just personal experience.

I think when you are talking about video games or athletics, a 'small' decline is more noticeable than in other walks of life.

Here's an article, not sure how reliable it it is, but
http://www.livestrong.com/article/442800-how-does-aging-affect-reaction-time/

Your ability to react depends on whether you are dealing with a fairly simple situation or a more complex situation requiring you to pay attention to several different things at once.

Simple Reaction Tests
A simple reaction test involves only one stimulus and one response. An experimental psychologist might test simple reaction times by sounding a buzzer, which would be the stimulus, and instructing a person to press a button whenever he hears it, which would be the response. Simple reaction time improves from childhood until the late 20s. After the late 20s, reaction times increase, but very slowly, until people reach their early fifties. As people reach their late sixties and seventies, reaction times increase markedly.

Choice Reaction Times
A more complex test of reaction times would have more than one stimulus and response. For example, an experimenter might flash even or odd numbers on a screen and ask someone to press one button when presented with an even number and another button when presented with an odd number. The time it takes to decide what button to press and then do it is called a choice reaction time.

Choice reaction tests show a different pattern. Unlike reaction times for simple tests, which barely increase until people are fifty years old, reaction times for choice tests increase rapidly once people are no longer young adults. Women's scores on these tests increase more markedly than do those of men. Performance on complex reaction tests is highly correlated with I.Q.: the higher the subject's intelligence, the better his performance.

Video games are obviously something that would test ones "choice reaction time"; gamers are tasked with making quick decisions based on tons of stimulus. This is where things start declining after young-adulthood.

In my experience playing halo 5, I often know what I want to do or should do to handle a situation, but I can't get the message to my fingers to hit the right button in time. I wouldn't have had that problem even 5-6 years ago.

I don't want to understate the importance of knowledge and experience (it can an often does offset/exceed the decline in physical attributes/ reflexes) I'm just saying that the decline in reflexes between 18 and 30 is real. I'd say it's very rare to see marked improvements in reflexes during that timeframe.

When your talking about a game like Halo 5, which has as much new nuance as it does concepts that experienced players may have mastered, it isn't unfathomable that "older" players might start struggling.
Well shit. This is why I suck. Will be 38 in September lol.

I saw a research paper, where your reaction time goes from 50 ms to 70ish by the time your 30. That's not a MASSIVE difference, but I'm sure it goes mildly downhill after 30.

Trup1aya

I saw a research paper, where your reaction time goes from 50 ms to 70ish by the time your 30. That's not a MASSIVE difference, but I'm sure it goes mildly downhill after 30.

Yeah, but that's just your simple reaction time. When it comes to making complex decisions based on multiple stimuli, the degradation starts even sooner.

Top Bottom