• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Karl2177

Is MM super weird for anyone else right now? Reqs aren't loading, boosts aren't available, post-game stats aren't loading, emblems in the pregame lobby aren't loading. In game it's just fine, but everything else is hella weird.

mfw I'm 29 and everyone in parties always callin' me old man

sadkeanu.jpg

Keanu is immortal though.

Keanu-Reeves-Is-He-Immortal-650x331.jpg

I'll be rocking the big 40 late this year. I wonder how long my eyes and reflexes will keep up with semi-competitive gaming.

The whole "not as young as I used to" thing with video games has always struck me as weird. Is there really that much of a difference in reflexes and hand-eye-coordination between a 18 year old and a 30 year old? I'd say factors aside from the physical matter far more—like how you can't risk years chasing something or a limited window if you want to get started on another career or going back to school, starting a family and needing a stable income, et al.

I don't feel like I'm at a major disadvantage speed wise but I've grown with gaming since text based games so the reflexes have always been trained and on point. Decision making is far more important overall in terms of a full game outcome but reflexes can get you that one off clutch reversal kill. Online latency is a far bigger metric than reflexes for online gaming. However, LAN based reflexes could potentially have a much larger impact. I can't say I noticed at my annual LAN in Halo 5, Smash Bros, Killer Instinct etc. Guys range from 17-40+ and I'm consistently competing just fine. Same guys and gals I play with online, basically a mirror of our skills and internal "ranking" if you will.

I don't have any studies, just personal experience. I think when you are talking about video games or athletics, a 'small' decline is more noticeable than in other walks of life. Here's an article, not sure how reliable it it is, but
http://www.livestrong.com/article/442800-how-does-aging-affect-reaction-time/

Video games are obviously something that would test ones "choice reaction time"; gamers are tasked with making quick decisions based on tons of stimulus. This is where things start declining after young-adulthood. In my experience playing halo 5, I often know what I want to do or should do to handle a situation, but I can't get the message to my fingers to hit the right button in time. I wouldn't have had that problem even 5-6 years ago.

This is where something like Halo I feel I excel, as I'm sure many invested players do to, immediately reacting and knowing what I want to do without really thinking about the choices. It's more instinct, prediction, reflex, muscle memory and choice rolled into an 18-40ms timing. Direct reflex I'm still around 18-22ms as I was in high school. Choice reflex it varies wildly but in high school I was on 35-45ms. I feel I'd still be around those numbers today. I do concede I'm not the normal 40 year old gamer, I play more regularly than others my age obviously. I do concede I'm expecting a decline in my abilities but it's still yet to happen in anyway where I feel like my age impacted my performance. If you factor latency online an Aussie dedis puts me at between 10-25ms, get that to a round trip combined with server delays and you're not really missing out online due to reflexes. Say you get USA dedis from Aus, you're looking at 100-200ms, pffft to reaction time being a factor. LAN you're talking about sub 1-2ms response time, big difference.

I'm 26 and feel like I'm not as good as I was at 17. Probably has more to do with spending less time playing games than anything else though.

Silvers are done. First Gold pack I open has the Legendary stance. The next, Gold Standard. Living the high life.

Oddly enough though, I didn't get the Corp Mongoose or ext. mags DMR. I just bought a Silver and got those refund cards (which, by the way, was cathartic as hell).

I really hope we get a lot of reqs this update.

I also hope they keep super fiesta forever.

I kind of want to be surprised and awed by this update. Like so much stuff in my face i cant hanlde it. You know?

GameWisp? Not heard of that before, then again, I don't really pay attention to the behind the scenes of streaming.

Pretty much a 3rd party site that connects to your twitch account, has twitch alerts integration. It's for smaller streamers who cant get sub buttons.

Trup1aya

I'll be rocking the big 40 late this year. I wonder how long my eyes and reflexes will keep up with semi-competitive gaming.

I don't feel like I'm at a major disadvantage speed wise but I've grown with gaming since text based games so the reflexes have always been trained and on point. Decision making is far more important overall in terms of a full game outcome but reflexes can get you that one off clutch reversal kill. Online latency is a far bigger metric than reflexes for online gaming. However, LAN based reflexes could potentially have a much larger impact. I can't say I noticed at my annual LAN in Halo 5, Smash Bros, Killer Instinct etc. Guys range from 17-40+ and I'm consistently competing just fine. Same guys and gals I play with online, basically a mirror of our skills and internal "ranking" if you will.

This is where something like Halo I feel I excel, as I'm sure many invested players do to, immediately reacting and knowing what I want to do without really thinking about the choices. It's more instinct, prediction, reflex, muscle memory and choice rolled into an 18-40ms timing. Direct reflex I'm still around 18-22ms as I was in high school. Choice reflex it varies wildly but in high school I was on 35-45ms. I feel I'd still be around those numbers today. I do concede I'm not the normal 40 year old gamer, I play more regularly than others my age obviously. I do concede I'm expecting a decline in my abilities but it's still yet to happen in anyway where I feel like my age impacted my performance. If you factor latency online an Aussie dedis puts me at between 10-25ms, get that to a round trip combined with server delays and you're not really missing out online due to reflexes. Say you get USA dedis from Aus, you're looking at 100-200ms, pffft to reaction time being a factor. LAN you're talking about sub 1-2ms response time, big difference.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if folks who "excersized" more often than normal wouldn't atleast be more likely to delay the effects aging has on ones choice reflexes.
But I'm sure the influence is always there. Then there are other, unmeasurable factors like genetics.

Lots of Reach armour.

Infection, Torque remix, and Warzone Assault - Darkstar remix.

Maybe Grenade launcher.

Falcon if optimistic.

Forge stuff, and if lucky, in-game file-browser.

Yeah I’m trying to keep my expectations low, even though I excited for it. I think we might only get one new map this time. Last time they released a new game mode that update only came with one new map. So I’m thinking:

Torque remix
Infection
Reach armor

I don’t know if the grenade launcher will come back, HaloGAF is the only one that seems to care about it.

I’d love to see the Falcon, but I highly doubt it. That’s a completely new vehicle model they would have to make.

Plus there are UI updates and campaign stuff. So I’m pretty excited about it, but I’ll wait until we get some more info before judging.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if folks who "excersized" more often than normal wouldn't atleast be more likely to delay the effects aging has on ones choice reflexes.
But I'm sure the influence is always there. Then their are other, unmeasurable factors like genetics.
There are major league baseball players in their 40's, and those who still play hardball in private leagues well over that. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in any sport, and it should be humanly impossible, yet here we are.

Buncha babbies around here son.
Maybe Grenade launcher.

Falcon if optimistic.
D7QG1WW.jpg

Top Bottom