• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Akai__

These 2 concept arts look pretty awesome:

LSdy5N5.jpg
G4qg0Ci.jpg

Also, it's a shame that Forerunner have only one vehicle, which is the Phaeton.

War Sphinx is pretty BA. Maybe in Halo 6 they'll also emerge as Cortana access more of the Domain.

They better go crazy with Halo Wars 2 already and then even more with Halo 6.

Yeah they really should of expanded on vehicles, feel like there could be a bunch of good ideas for vehicles. As much as I love the classic halo vehicles I would like a good amount of new ones and not just one new vehicle every game. Cause since 4 it's just been a new vehicle per game right?

They better go crazy with Halo Wars 2 already and then even more with Halo 6.

I like those concepts. I need those dark tones in the game though. Forerunners seem to be a little shiny and molten lava glowy. nothing really screams 'dangerous' to me when i see them.

Halo wars 2 should be very interesting. Especially since Brutes and their whole arsenal will be avail.

Trup1aya

Can never really watch somebody play competitive halo unless it's something big because when I am watching I usually cut it off and just play the game instead. That and probably just haven't found the right competitive halo player to watch.

side note: I need my fix of new halo update info, really cant wait to see all of the new stuff and such. if they add the falcon I will lose my cool and in a perfect world they would add the revenant because I always secretly liked the vehicle.

also sorry if anyone saw my post before i was done, accidentally posted it. (now you know my secret of not being able to spell for shit)

I was the same way, until I stumbled across Roy... Then started watching some of the people he hosted. I was really just looking for some pointers, then found out competitive halo could be fun to watch

Madness

Formal is playing with lethul, playing quite well too.
Really nice shot, just lacks the tricks like boost jumping and shit like that... He also tends to challenge with low shield too.

He could easily be pro level of he wanted imo.

He was pro level. He easily won the MCC invitational etc. But like other pros like Nadeshot, Enable he left to CoD because of the popularity and money to be earned. At one point even Snakebite and Ace attempted to play CoD. If it wasn't for Pro League and promise of another HWC, I bet we would have seen more pros leave Halo behind.

FormaL even played Halo 5 and solo queued himself upto champ 1 in team arena. He still has the skill to be top 5 Halo 5 players.

This one in particular caught my eye:

U5ygmTR.jpg

How nuts would it have been if you were navigating some sprawling vista on Genesis for a while with a spire looming off in the distance throughout, only for it to go full-on Shadow of the Colossus and it turns out the top half of the tower is a giant mobile Forerunner sentry?

See. These artists have grand vision and awesome ideals. Just sad to see some generic things come to light.

EX: Crawlers. They can be removed and i would not miss them at all. They don't even make sense to me. They shoot from their mouths and drop either have a bolt shot or a repeater... IDK MAN. Replace them with something more menacing that are fun to fight. The flood popcorn poppers are more enjoyable than them. Atleast for the poppers they had a strat of easy wiping with the AR. Couple bursts and you could clear a large amount. to kill a crawler easily? Oh, use a precision weapon and shoot their weak spot. Just like every, other, single, promethean.

Watchers were cool to add to the sandbox in 4, and actually brought some challenge with their revive/nade toss back response.In 5 they are just things you shoot first before the rest. They don't even evade or try to hide. Like a damn dumbo blimp letting you know you have something to shoot in the air. yay, yipeee.

Anyway. I am really excited for the next Halo chapter. I can't wait and hope some of the concepts come into fruition where we get more Buck, yummy Vale, Tanaka, Locke and Blue Team in action.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
See. These artists have grand vision and awesome ideals. Just sad to see some generic things come to light.

EX: Crawlers. They can be removed and i would not miss them at all. They don't even make sense to me. They shoot from their mouths and drop either have a bolt shot or a repeater... IDK MAN. Replace them with something more menacing that are fun to fight. The flood popcorn poppers are more enjoyable than them. Atleast for the poppers they had a strat of easy wiping with the AR. Couple bursts and you could clear a large amount. to kill a crawler easily? Oh, use a precision weapon and shoot their weak spot. Just like every, other, single, promethean.

Watchers were cool to add to the sandbox in 4, and actually brought some challenge with their revive/nade toss back response.In 5 they are just things you shoot first before the rest. They don't even evade or try to hide. Like a damn dumbo blimp letting you know you have something to shoot in the air. yay, yipeee.

Anyway. I am really excited for the next Halo chapter. I can't wait and hope some of the concepts come into fruition where we get more Buck, yummy Vale, Tanaka, Locke and Blue Team in action.

Yeah, I cant wait too. Im also very curious to see what kind of story Halo Wars 2 delivers.

Crawlers can definitely be phased out. Would like to see another humanoid enemy type akin to the Elites.

Karl2177

Yeah they really should of expanded on vehicles, feel like there could be a bunch of good ideas for vehicles. As much as I love the classic halo vehicles I would like a good amount of new ones and not just one new vehicle every game. Cause since 4 it's just been a new vehicle per game right?
In my opinion, 343i's treatment of vehicles has been poor. The only truly new vehicles that they have added are the Mantis and the Phaeton. The Mantis has a problem in that it is so versatile, it is generally too risky to send it into enemy territory. Why waste a Mantis in the chance that it gets boarded? The BTB map that features it (I think it's Fracture) has this problem. Halo 4's Ragnarok had this problem. Boarding a Mantis is incredibly arbitrary also. Halo 4 you couldn't board it from the front. Now you can board it from like 10 feet away. This is also completely ignoring the idea that the Mantis doesn't fit with reality grounded UNSC aesthetic. Honestly, I can't make any suggestions to improve it, so I would cut the Mantis.

The Phaeton feels like it is just there to fill the role of flying Promethean vehicle enemy. It's biggest problem is how it receives damage. That big glowy core on the bottom is its weak point and every enemy is below it. The effective use of it is to take potshots from afar, which means there's no good way to board it, only destroy it. One of the things I like about Halo's design is that there's rarely only one way to tackle an encounter and there's rarely only one solution. With the Phaeton, it feels like there's only one solution and that's to destroy it. If the Phaeton is high enough up, an EMP won't send them low enough to the ground. Another thing about the Phaeton is the teleport inside animation. I hate the whole concept of Promethean teleportation. I would change it so a Promethean would fit perfectly inside, but it looks a bit uncomfortable for Spartans. In terms of gameplay changes to the Phaeton, I'd make a tiered weakpoint system. First phase is the side thrusters being the weakpoint. Once they're destroyed, it opens up the big one on the bottom. A Laser shot to the middle while the side thrusters are still up would still kill it, but other weaker weapons wouldn't damage it as much.

As for non-343i created vehicles, I still feel like they are stuck to Bungie's dumbass decision to decouple vehicle health from player health or show vehicle health in the UI. The problem with the former is that smart players would hide and recover health and become a death machine, while the problem with the latter is that players would just abandon the vehicle when it got too low in their UI. I'm still trying to think of a better solution, but either is better than the current situation of vehicles just blowing up at an errant BR shot with no warning.

I want to talk about more, like the Scorpion driving controls, Ghost canopies, or the return of well designed vehicles like the Falcon or the Chopper, but I have to get back to solving this network problem.

I kind of liked the Bungie vehicle weakpoints. Like in Halo 2, didnt the ghost have a weakpoint on the side? That big cylnder next to the legs of the driver. Then, with the warthog, you chould shoot the gas can on the back to inflict an explosion? Wraith had the weakpoint in the back where the boost is. Scorpion in the back where you can shoot the grill above the spartans head and then continue to shoot him??

Maybe im making shit up, but i thought they had weakpoints on every Vehicle... someone please say im not crazy.

Fuchsdh

I kind of liked the Bungie vehicle weakpoints. Like in Halo 2, didnt the ghost have a weakpoint on the side? That big cylnder next to the legs of the driver. Then, with the warthog, you chould shoot the gas can on the back to inflict an explosion? Wraith had the weakpoint in the back where the boost is. Scorpion in the back where you can shoot the grill above the spartans head and then continue to shoot him??

Maybe im making shit up, but i thought they had weakpoints on every Vehicle... someone please say im not crazy.

Pretty sure those weak points still exist.

BraXzy

I am very interested to see what vehicles show up in Halo Wars 2, there has been so few in the mainline games. I assume they'll add a bunch that won't ever see the light outside of the spin off series :(

Sai

Think they could add an Elephant via Forge? I kinda miss it on Sandtrap; fun times hijacking the enemy team's and getting the three consecutive flag caps. :p

belushy

Banned
Think they could add an Elephant via Forge? I kinda miss it on Sandtrap; fun times hijacking the enemy team's and getting the three consecutive flag caps. :p

What I'm hoping is the forge team seeing that Sandtrap remix WyvernZu made inspired them to make an Elephant vehicle/prop.

Cranster

Banned
I heard another rumour that 343i is working on MCC for Windows 10 aswell as another Title Update for the Xbox One version to put it more in line with PC version. Apparently the original plan for MCC was cross platform play between both versions of the game but plans changed for obvious reasons.

Has anyone heard anything similar? It sounds plausible but also sounds to obviously BS to be legit.

Cranster

Banned
^ First time i've heard of it.

That would be amazing. What would be even more amazing is releasing Forge as an APP on Windows 10.
It would be interesting, though unless if the title update for the xbox one version fixes all the remainder issues it would be a slap in the face for those who already own the game. Eitherway, I guess we will find out at E3.

pieface

So lately I've noticed a lot of people straffing whilst also crouching at the same time? How is this done? Do people put crouch on a paddle which helps them strafe and crouch at the same time?

So lately I've noticed a lot of people straffing whilst also crouching at the same time? How is this done? Do people put crouch on a paddle which helps them strafe and crouch at the same time?

With the default scheme - Crouch is on the Right Stick. So you're aiming and then press down for that crouch juke, hoping they miss a shot.

Well, the way people have been doing it for years has just been to crouch using the left thumbstick, which uses built in control schemes. I mean, that's how I do it.

Fuchsdh

Crouch-strafing infuriates me for some reason I can't fully articulate. I'd rather the guy sit there after he's killed me humping my corpse.

Posted your gif on reddit before here?

Kick this redditor out of the SC gdi
lol and someone apparently gilded it, which I just learned means that they paid $3.99 to give me Reddit Gold and hype my post :b

I'm more famous than JORGE now, yall. Now I can start getting the respek I deserve! I'll put HaloGAF in the credits of
Combat Evolved 2.

BraXzy

I heard another rumour that 343i is working on MCC for Windows 10....
Has anyone heard anything similar? It sounds plausible but also sounds to obviously BS to be legit.

Not heard anything of the sort, where'd you hear the rumour originally?

Posted this gif on Reddit and it blew up lol. Someone shared it on r/gaming too, so both links are on the front page.

Here's the gif with the caption I made: When your teammate doesn't want to be part of the team picture

Yoooooooo I saw that before on my front page, didn't realise it was yours. Nice GIF ;)

BraXzy

lol and someone apparently gilded it, which I just learned means that they paid $3.99 to give me Reddit Gold and hype my post :b

I'm more famous than JORGE now, yall. Now I can start getting the respek I deserve! I'll put HaloGAF in the credits of
Combat Evolved 2.

Don't quit your day job though yet, only 29th on my front page. Didn't even break top 10 smh. Try harder Funk ;)

I've never been gilded before :'(

TCKaos

Super fun time going into Warzone solo and getting matched with full companies. Checked the post match to make sure that I wasn't the one rando on a team of 11, and lo and behold there was like three separate parties of two.

Fun fun fun

On the subject of vehicles 343 hasn't really done anything worth doing to the sandbox.

The removal of the Hornet, Falcon, Chopper, Specter and Revenant seem odd to me. The Hornet and Falcon are travesties, seeing as they were already well balanced and enjoyable both to pilot and combat, especially in the case of the Falcon. Arguably the Covenant ground vehicle sandbox has been lackluster at best, with the Specter and Revenant both being completely outclassed in usefulness by the Chopper. The Chopper could easily be reimplemented in the sandbox with no major changes, but the Specter and Revenant would both need severe buffs to be worth using or risk being completely outclassed by their human counterparts like the Wraith.

With the expansion of the Covenant weapon sandbox to include weapons such as the Rain of Oblivion, Blood of Suban, Void's Tear, Pool of Radiance, White Scar and Blissful Slumber, there's no reason we couldn't have vehicle weapons with the same properties. The Specter standard turret could fire bolts of plasma identical to the Blissful Slumber, or be a slightly buffed Rain of Oblivion. The Ultra variant could fire Blood of Suban rounds to mimic the ONI Warthog's behavior. The Revenant could be buffed to fire Ultra-Banshee strength fuel rods at a reduced rate of fire. The Ultra Revenant could fire Void's Tear black hole bombs, which do Fuel-Rod tier damage in a small radius and a larger radius acts as a black hole to hold the enemy in place so that the passenger can light them up.

I'd also like to see a new kind of Wraith or some such to counter Hannibal weapons. A Scourge of Fire Wraith that fires double shots with the ability to fire huge charged shots that has a Blood of Suban turret or something.

On the subject of the Phaeton, I feel like it exists solely because 343i wanted a VTOL but felt bad that the Promethians didn't have anything interesting in their sandbox (which they still don't, even after their overhaul). It feels like the worst kind of "Well, whatever," compromise because fictionally Promethian vehicles don't really make sense (why not just implant a composed human directly into the vehicle itself, cutting out the middleman and operational latency?) and it's underwhelming in the sandbox itself, with both of its weapons being relatively useless and the vehicle itself being relatively weak.

TCKaos

Then you should do right by that franchise and respect it by fixing the god damn game.

Yeah but you're not getting any potential revenue by doing so and consumers are so short-sighted that they've already forgotten that it exists. Why bring it back up if you have to?

Morally speaking, 343 should fix it. They already should have fixed it. It's easily the worst launch of a console game that has happened in the last 10-ish years, and there should have been wide-spread recalls and refunds because of how absolutely unforgivably non-functional it was and continued to be for 9+ months.

But, economically speaking, they have more to risk by repairing it and reminding people that they're that capable of incompetence than they would by simply leaving it be in its non-playable state, forever in need of a complete overhaul. As consumers, we've completely already let 343 get away with:

Apartment 117
Gameplay altering preorder bonuses
Karen Traviss
"14 Day Try and Play"
Sitting on the Halo 4 Turbo update for over a month so that they could have a PR stream
The Master Chief Collection launch
The absolute botching of the HCS during the MCC because of how non-functional the MCC was
Microtransactions in a $60 retail title
Halo: Nightfall
Delaying the March Update but never replacing it with another content update, meaning that we're only getting 6 updates versus the promised 7 updates, the cost of which was factored into REQ costs and the original $60 value of the title
The Community Cartographers continuing as a concept
Still not fixing the MCC

It's not exactly a big deal when put in context.

Then you should do right by that franchise and respect it by fixing the god damn game.

You already bought it, and they don't make any profit off of fixing it for you. 343i has earned plenty of goodwill from the fan base as a result of their long-term support of Halo 5 (make of that what you will), so while you may feel burned by the MCC, the truth is that it's already faded into memory, and whether it's fixed or not doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom