• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I just wish we were getting more Arena maps. We've had four? so far. In the space Halo 4 got 9. Along with two Warzone maps (+remixes)?

And Firefight. Some would say ODST/Reach had it launch.

Now that I'm just doing gold unlocks I'm really enjoying armour and REQ weapons more. So I'm happy that DLC is there.

WHOOPS, double post.

BraXzy

Now that I'm just doing gold unlocks I'm really enjoying armour and REQ weapons more. So I'm happy that DLC is there.

WHOOPS, double post.

I mean with Firefight you could argue it was there before, but I feel like Warzone kind of filled its space in the sense that there was a semi-PVE mode so it doesn't feel owed to us for me.

Do you... do you know what World War 1 is?

Steampunk might be neat though.

Yes and I also understand that WW1 wasn't solely trench warfare. The eastern front and also the Gallipoli campaign saw less of this. Yes on the western front it was predominantly trench warfare, however there are other theatres of conflict they could easily explore.

Yes and I also understand that WW1 wasn't solely trench warfare. The eastern front and also the Gallipoli campaign saw less of this. Yes on the western front it was predominantly trench warfare, however there are other theatres of conflict they could easily explore.

I want to think you're not serious here, but somehow I think you are.

The eastern front was full of trench warfare, just spread over longer lines. Other than the landings and the eventual retreat, the entire Gallipoli campaign was just one of the biggest trench standoffs of the war, outside of Verdun.

If you want something different, like I said, air or sea battles, or perhaps something like German East Africa where actual moving fights took place occasionally. Basically all of the EU and Ottoman fighting was trench warfare, starvation, disease, attrition, etc. You'd have to do specific conflicts in the colonial regions or maybe highlight the spy missions to make something worth playing.

WHOOPS, double post.

They're fun to open for sure but I couldn't care less about some of the variations. There's like less than 10 armors I ever really rocked. That's just me though I know games need a lot of customization these days.

The eastern front was full of trench warfare, just spread over longer lines. Other than the landings and the eventual retreat, the entire Gallipoli campaign was just one of the biggest trench standoffs of the war, outside of Verdun.

If you want something different, like I said, air or sea battles, or perhaps something like German East Africa where actual moving fights took place occasionally. Basically all of the EU and Ottoman fighting was trench warfare, starvation, disease, attrition, etc. You'd have to do specific conflicts in the colonial regions or maybe highlight the spy missions to make something worth playing.

I want to spawn with trench foot though. Is that too much to ask?

I mean with Firefight you could argue it was there before, but I feel like Warzone kind of filled its space in the sense that there was a semi-PVE mode so it doesn't feel owed to us for me.

I feel the same, connection and party wise I'm very happy to have FF coming soon.

And tunnels and explosives and darkness.

They're fun to open for sure but I couldn't care less about some of the variations. There's like less than 10 armors I ever really rocked. That's just me though I know games need a lot of customization these days.

I was the same during bronze and silver, obviously the quality ratio is far higher with golds hence my enjoying the unlocks more /captain obvious.

...the assumption was that the Eastern Front was simply a mirror of the Western Front. Instead of trench warfare and stalemate, however, the Eastern Front was the war everyone expected: it featured mass armies making sweeping movements, breakthroughs leading to tremendous advances, and innovation in both tactics and technology.

http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/eastern_front

Also, at the start of the war there was less trench warfare, it wasn’t until mid-through that armies started to become bogged down and it became more frequent.

I recommend listening to the Blueprint for Armageddon podcasts, it's very informative.

http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/eastern_front

Also, at the start of the war there was less trench warfare, it wasn’t until mid-through that armies started to become bogged down and it became more frequent.

I recommend listening to the Blueprint for Armageddon podcasts, it's very informative.

At the start of the war. I mean if you count the first couple months as the start, sure. Trench fighting took very little time becoming the de facto tactic. To say it wasn't until midway through the war is just absurd.

By "sweeping advances" sure, for a while. But eventually it became a repeated cycle of one side or the other (usually Russia, especially earlier) just throwing walls of (hundreds of thousands of) men and artillery at fortified/entrenched positions. Occasionally someone would capture some territory or a fort (what was left of them after shelling) but the vast majority of all the battles on all the major fronts was just push-pull human slaughter, often using trenches.

I mean, just because the eastern front was more spread out and the trenches were easier to break through (usually with less developed communication lines and slightly more confusion) doesn't mean it wasn't trench warfare. It just wasn't stagnant trench warfare.

EDIT: Like, by September of '14 doesn't seem like "midway through" the war imo.

At the start of the war. I mean if you count the first couple months as the start, sure. Trench fighting took very little time becoming the de facto tactic. To say it wasn't until midway through the war is just absurd.

By "sweeping advances" sure, for a while. But eventually it became a repeated cycle of one side or the other (usually Russia, especially earlier) just throwing walls of (hundreds of thousands of) men and artillery at fortified/entrenched positions. Occasionally someone would capture some territory or a fort (what was left of them after shelling) but the vast majority of all the battles on all the major fronts was just push-pull human slaughter, often using trenches.

I mean, just because the eastern front was more spread out and the trenches were easier to break through (usually with less developed communication lines and slightly more confusion) doesn't mean it wasn't trench warfare. It just wasn't stagnant trench warfare.

I never said there wasn't any trench warfare, I said they saw less of it and different tactics were used. However, the whole point is DICE has enough material to make a decent WW1 game if they choose. Furthermore, the game doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate. Take a look at BF 1942, great game, yet it wasn't very accurate at all. They even had an expansion called The Secrets Weapons of WW2, which had a lot of things that weren't used or rarely used during the war.

But I'll stop derailing this OT with WW1 talk. They are supposedly going to be teasing BF 5 sometime next week, so we can talk about it then.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I miss WW2 shooters. The more techy CoD got the less interested I was.

On a side note. My brother and I started replaying Reach, damn that opening music is good. The game feels so sluggish though coming from 5. We started on the BC version, but the performance was poor so we went to the 360.

Party chat audio quality is so much better on than X1.

I never said there wasn't any trench warfare, I said they saw less of it and different tactics were used. However, the whole point is DICE has enough material to make a decent WW1 game if they choose. Furthermore, the game doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate.

Which is why I asked if we're talking real WW1 or fictionalized. If we're talking fiction, the whole point of disagreement is moot. Sure you can add whatever the fuck you want and still *call* it a WW1 game, but in that respect, Wolfenstein is a WW2 game, so w/e.

If we're talking historical, then the fun factor drops and the engagements worth recreating drop precipitously vs WWII, Vietnam, or really any other war.

nillapuddin

Im so frustrated, there is only 1 Rare item left for me to acquire
(Extended Mag DMR)

But Ive bought 2 silver packs and it keeps kicking me back points like Im done

lS4B66Zh.png

Ive been crossing my fingers for months that the extended mag dmr would pop for me, and now that its the ONLY THING LEFT the game is being retarted

Has anyone else had this problem?

Which is why I asked if we're talking real WW1 or fictionalized. If we're talking fiction, the whole point of disagreement is moot. Sure you can add whatever the fuck you want and still *call* it a WW1 game, but in that respect, Wolfenstein is a WW2 game, so w/e.

If we're talking historical, then the fun factor drops and the engagements worth recreating drop precipitously vs WWII, Vietnam, or really any other war.

Battlefield games aren't really historical for the most part. Sure they use the settings and certain time periods, but it's more about fun than being historical or realistic.

The only WW1 FPS out at the moment that is pretty decent and somewhat realistic is Verdun.

Karl2177

(Extended Mag DMR)

lS4B66Zh.png

Ive been crossing my fingers for months that the extended mag dmr would pop for me, and now that its the ONLY THING LEFT the game is being retarted

Also take note, Extended Mag DMR and Cowboy Ninja may or may not appear in Silvers. If those are the last two you have, go for the Gold.

Battlefield games aren't really historical for the most part. Sure they use the settings and certain time periods, but it's more about fun than being historical or realistic.

The only WW1 FPS out at the moment that is pretty decent and somewhat realistic is Verdun.

No, but you have to stretch WW1 especially far to make it "fun," to the point where you might as well drop the pretense and make up an alternate universe where you are unrestricted in what thematic elements you can include.

BraXzy

I'm getting my ass handed to me on a plate in Dark Souls, Mr. Halo please come and save me from the big bads.

Arena multi to break up the pain every now and then sounds good.

I'm getting my ass handed to me on a plate in Dark Souls, Mr. Halo please come and save me from the big bads.

Arena multi to break up the pain every now and then sounds good.

I haven't played Halo in a week because of Dark Souls. So now I know I'm gonna be complete garbo at Halo. So would that make Halo the harder game?

(Extended Mag DMR)

lS4B66Zh.png

So buy gold packs

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Gavel

tumblr_mh012mf1ds1s3wb20o1_500.gif

...and super lucky with that close call.

If you ever see one of these, pick it up.

FYI: PartyUpGaming are killfarming assholes. They had total control but just put tanks, snipers, camo people, and an ultra banshee each outside the armory and home base and never tried to take over and just let the first warden just stand around forever until they were up to 890. SOLO QUEUE WHEN.

Tip: If a Hannibal Scorpion is tearing shit up and your teammate is sneaking up on it in camo, don't run up behind said teammate and start shooting at it with an AR.

Yeah the gavel is amazing, I started with one on riptide and went on a huge run... Lined 4 guys up with 1 hit at one stage, bodies and weapons were flying around like a stir fry!

Akai__

Can someone please explain to me how this is a betrayal? lol

It's ridiculous.... I literally cannot work out how I betrayed anyone here, especially as it said I did it with the gun on the Hog???

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/P1EFACE/video/17019337

I had that happen to me several times. Some bizzare kill detection is going on in this game.

Some other examples:

- I shoot the enemy who is hijacking my teammates Scorpion and get a Scorpion Destroyed medal.
- Or I shoot a Scorpion with a Banshee, while my teammate is hijacking it, and I get a melee kill while in the Banshee.

Watched that doom snap map stream.

Jesus, this needs to be how forge evolves in the future.

Have a link at hand? If not, I'll probably find it when I'm at home.

Looks nice. Good way to make geometry look great, make a whole bunch of premade whole rooms, lol.

Yeah, it looks great - far better than forge - but that's kind of a hack solution. 343i definitely needs to deal with their eyesore textureless forge surfaces, somehow though.

I was thinking a solid temporary solution would be supporting vector graphic painting on Forge-objects. Imposing repeating patterns like this, and being able to change the background and design colours would bring a lot of pretty to Forge creations; it can basically be wallpaper. Vector graphics take up little space, meaning good for performance (far less demanding than textures), and they can be stretched or scaled without loss in quality, or tiled seamlessly.

Fuchsdh

Late to the party, but really enjoying having the REQ weapons in Fiesta. Retina of the Mind's Eye is great, considering I feel like I can't use the Binary Rifle in this game well otherwise.

I love Super Fiesta until i spawn with a Plasma Pistol, Normal AR. might as well try n hope there are some guns laying around on the ground to pick up :p

I also love the beam rifle. Finally got on fire one match with it :p

Super Fiesta might as well be renamed "Backflip Spawns with a Spartan Laser and Plasma Pistol, Ya'll Others Get Incineration Cannons."

Wait, that might be too long of a title for a playlist.

Late to the party, but really enjoying having the REQ weapons in Fiesta. Retina of the Mind's Eye is great, considering I feel like I can't use the Binary Rifle in this game well otherwise.

I LOVE the Beam Rifle. I'd say it's even better than the sniper in most cases.

dying star is beast. picked up one of a dead body and boom killing frenzy.
wish they would leave some of these req weapons as power weapons or forge items

Fuchsdh

The Rocket launcher that is white - explosions has mini explosions after detonation. That rocket launcher is so good.

SPNKR or the tube one? I think I finally picked up the latter, has a goofy name I can't remember.

Hadn't ever actually called in any of the SPNKR variants I had until Warzone Firefight. The EM variant or whatever it's called with four rockets in the tube is phenomenal.

BraXzy

Looks nice. Good way to make geometry look great, make a whole bunch of premade whole rooms, lol.

The only downside from my watch there is less freedom in terms of geometry creation. The super high detailed preset rooms are cool but nothing compared to having endless stuff at your disposal to make anything within reason.

The editor looked way easier to use though, obviously helps being on PC. And the scripting seemed super simple yet powerful. And all the undoing and stuff is something that's sorely missed in Forge. Fingers crossed H6 Forge blows away expectations comes at launch :3

SPNKR or the tube one? I think I finally picked up the latter, has a goofy name I can't remember.

Hadn't ever actually called in any of the SPNKR variants I had until Warzone Firefight. The EM variant or whatever it's called with four rockets in the tube is phenomenal.

I think theSPNK one .. found it :

0322ac43-1120-4989-ba98-62d31939d32c

No place to run. No place to hide. Advanced SPNKr Rocket Launcher that fires laser-guided cluster warhead munitions. SPNKr EX Rockets detonate in proximity to enemies, releasing explosive submunitions.

Akai__

Boom

This is just the snap map part of the stream.

I especially like how you can make content on the pc and it available to play on PC and consoles.

https://youtu.be/6FEw6_Zb_ak

Watched it finally. Looks pretty interesting and I'll try to follow what people can come up with it. The whole idea to create on PC and send to PC is what people (myself included) always wanted for Halo's Forge. It would mean, that we don't have to wait for DLC maps anymore and the community could vote on the best created ones to play them in matchmaking.

All the released DLC maps in Halo 5 are not even close to be on par with the maps the game launched with and the whole Remixed Maps idea turned out exactly how I imagined/predicted. The DLC maps are just bad and most likely not liked by the majority of the competetive crowd this game is aimed at. It's like 343i completely forgot how to make competetive maps, once Halo 5 released. Such a shame, because the game already is pretty good, but it could have been even better with solid DLC maps and better playlist management.

Still waiting for an official statement on how many maps 343i actually shipped since launch.

Top Bottom