• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Pegasus keeps you up at night more than Fatstronauts Mom.

YAYlspV.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't mind levels that are claustrophobic with a lot of intersections but I hate these ways to just randomly fall off the level. It feels like they're trying to think of more ways to justify spartan charge bumping you away (even though I've never seen anyone bumped off a level). I mean, sure, I remember people falling off the edge even back on *googles* Lockout in Halo 2, but that's very clearly defined edges, not twisty-turny "oops this corner is a bottomless pit" stuff. I've only fallen off Tyrant once but I don't like needing to be so mindful about it.

Edit: Actually falling off the edge was kinda big in UT and Q3, but they handled it much better. It should be a clear and consistent danger, not feeling randomly scattered or some weird exception to an otherwise very consistent level like in Noctus.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Finally out of Silver packs. Now the questions is do I save up all the Req points for the Reach release or do I start buying Gold packs now?

NOKYARD

Warzone Turbo: Where you spawn with a Halo 2 BR and then proceed to take a power weapon off of some scrubs body.
My strategy is to use one Weapon REC, and one Vehicle REC per game. It's worked out really well so far.

CTF on Standoff in BTB, the red teams shotgun doesn't spawn. Which is a pretty damn unfair.

Does 343 not test their maps like at all for MM
I checked. It was there when i gave them the updated map. Not sure why it's missing. It could be spawning inside adjacent geometry.

iExplicit

Don't impulsively fire an uncharged shot if you come under fire in hopes that it'll wipe out the enemy - both of the two shotlets the Incin puts out uncharged have to connect in order for it to be a kill (which Heartseeker exploits and makes just about every uncharged shot a one-hit kill), and more often than not it'll just do splash damage. When charging, wait until the crosshairs fully "lock in", at which point you can release a fully-powered charge shot. It's got a larger blast radius than the standard Rocket Launcher (not sure about SPNKr) - so aim around their feet, rather than trying to aim directly at their feet. The standard Incineration Cannon isn't very good at killing people at a distance if you're training it directly on enemies so that it turns the reticle red - it's really obvious when one's in play and most people can just thrust to evade the blast. Again, the only case where you should ever be waiting for the crosshairs to turn red is if you're using the Heartseeker variant.

Jesus, I didn't know any of that. I'll definitely try that out next time I pick up one, thanks!

Anybody want to run some casual CE FFA's? Can rotate between regular Slayer, KOTH, OB, Camo/Stickies and Hog Wars.

EDIT: Maybe one day this will work ;'[
#ServerBrowser #MatchmakingToggles

Dice

I'm going to be sadder about Super Fiesta leaving than Firefight Beta ending. It just introduced me to the glory of the Halo One Pistol. I only got 2 kills with it, but that was enough. I feel like I've gotten way better with a lot of weapons because of this mode.

I still think Reach has by far the best atmosphere with H1 in close second. From the title screen, to the cool concept art backgrounds, music, UI, campaign, multiplayer maps etc. I felt like I was in the world of "Halo: Reach". Switching from Arena to Warzone to Campaign just feels so segmented in Halo 5, feels almost like 3 separate games.

Posted this on beyond, curious of your guy's thoughts.

I'm going to be sadder about Super Fiesta leaving than Firefight Beta ending. It just introduced me to the glory of the Halo One Pistol. I only got 2 kills with it, but that was enough. I feel like I've gotten way better with a lot of weapons because of this mode.

I'll be honest, if Super Fiesta was a permanent playlist, I probably wouldn't touch Warzone again unless I had to for this reason.

Agreed, it's hard to get hands on time with weapons so you can actually use them effectively when they're so randomly available to you. Any word on customs for all REQ weapons unlocked?

I see Warzone Turbo is back. Does that mean REQ Fiesta is over?

Uh oh, I had shit to do this weekend. Oh well :)

BraXzy

I still think Reach has by far the best atmosphere with H1 in close second. From the title screen, to the cool concept art backgrounds, music, UI, campaign, multiplayer maps etc. I felt like I was in the world of "Halo: Reach". Switching from Arena to Warzone to Campaign just feels so segmented in Halo 5, feels almost like 3 separate games.

I'd say I agree with that, Reach certainly nailed the whole feel and atmosphere of the entire package. The menu's were great and immersive in a way thanks to the gorgeous skybox backdrops.

Never been much of a fan of H5's actual UI and Menu's.

I agree. From an overall package perspective it was the best Halo hands down. Yes the game had issues; they mainly stemmed from poor maps, spartan abilities, and bloom. The thing about the spartan abilities they gave the game an unique touch. I real do miss Reach at times; it was just such a great game. The campaign was fun and enjoyable, plus it also had reasons to go back and play it (dailies/weeklies and scoring) and the multiplayer had a huge variety of things to do. Bungie did an excellent job on their final Halo. I can safely say it’s my favorite Halo overall and I have the most memories (good and bad) from it.

Dice

Any word on customs for all REQ weapons unlocked?
You mean me? I'm only missing 6 rares. I don't think silvers get you ultra rares so it'll be a while before I get the higher guns because I've got a ways to go on those. Not sure how many because I don't have Excel and the tracker document seems incompatible with Libre Office (it says I need -196? Earlier it said -133).

For loadouts I've got a lot of the AR/BR/SMG options now. They all started giving way after I was in silvers for a bit. Still only one DMR, but it's the silenced one so it's pretty good. Warzone is sooo much better with scoped guns available. At this point I'm just kind of surprised it hasn't given me a BR skin since I have so many of the others.

WZA is sweatier than Platinum level TS with all the farming groups lol. I've just lost 4 games in a row that weren't even close...
There are truly a good number of pistol gods in WZA. I've seen such amazing things in there. It becomes crazier when teams are kind of spawning next to each other instead of on opposite sides so you're shooting across as you try to run to the building.

I think Crawlers could be made a little more interesting if they played up the chess motifs again - part of the problem is that while the Soldiers are a necessary "street-level" enemy in the Promethean lineup, it more or less makes Crawlers redundant as the "pawn" unit.

I'll likely cop it for this comment but...

Crawlers had great behaviour in Halo 4 campaign *some missions. They would crawl all over the rocky walls or upside down on a roof and generally be a real pain in the arse as their numbers increased. I think that's the issue with WZ crawlers feeling a little lame, the maps and spawns points for them just kinda of have them on flat or open ground. Crawlers should take advantage of all the walls, ceilings, rock formations and those spread out angles of attack. If they did that they'd probably have to nerf them a little though.

I bet it would be a shitshow to the point of it not being fun... But an all reqs unlocked turbo mode would be cool.

Maybe to balance it you could do make it so you only have one of each req. use them wisely.

No. I die quickly so often when I spawn something good I need another spawn of it in the same game :) Also I love stacking with a weapon in turbo.

You mean me? I'm only missing 6 rares.

Nah mate, from what I understand we can't forge with REQ weapons (yet?). I meant we could play customs in place of super fiesta to get hands on experience with those legendary weapons. Most of the time I call them in and have so little time with them I'm just trying to get used to their nuances instead of going on a massive run with a great weapon.

Dice

Nah mate, from what I understand we can't forge with REQ weapons (yet?). I meant we could play customs in place of super fiesta to get hands on experience with those legendary weapons. Most of the time I call them in and have so little time with them I'm just trying to get used to their nuances instead of going on a massive run with a great weapon.
Oh, yeah. That would be really nice. Don't want to use a lot of energy to call in a REQ you have very few of (maybe only one) when you're unfamiliar with it. Custom practice would help a ton.

Oh, yeah. That would be really nice. Don't want to use a lot of energy to call in a REQ you have very few of (maybe only one) when you're unfamiliar with it. Custom practice would help a ton.

Now that I think about it...343 likely kept that away to keep population numbers in WZ up. It's working WZ always matches fast. Given the hit miss nature of Aussie population, customs with REQs this far after launch would be glorious.

I agree. From an overall package perspective it was the best Halo hands down. Yes the game had issues; they mainly stemmed from poor maps, spartan abilities, and bloom. The thing about the spartan abilities they gave the game an unique touch. I real do miss Reach at times; it was just such a great game. The campaign was fun and enjoyable, plus it also had reasons to go back and play it (dailies/weeklies and scoring) and the multiplayer had a huge variety of things to do. Bungie did an excellent job on their final Halo. I can safely say it’s my favorite Halo overall and I have the most memories (good and bad) from it.
I really did like the UI and how they packaged the game, but bloom and spartan abilities (bloom and armor lock specifically) make it the worst of any halo game for me.

Fuchsdh

The loading zones between Campaign, Arena, and Warzone are definitely my least favorite "feature" of the UI. Even if they're just three seconds they do feel like they slow down your experience dramatically.

BraXzy

...plus it also had reasons to go back and play it (dailies/weeklies and scoring) and the multiplayer had a huge variety of things to do.

I still can't believe daily/weekly challenges and rewards didn't come across from Reach. Especially with the modern trend of bringing players back week on week with stuff like that.

I'm gonna guess H6 will have way more in that regard for player retention.

*I'm not trying to be a dick here or say I'm better than you mate. Just curious about your statement of being bad but made Onyx.

Compare your clip vs mine - at the very start of yours check how quick the grenade comes out vs. mine last night in "regular quality MM" for me. There's a very detectable delay difference. Seeing that guy chasing while you're basically strafing says to me you're getting a far better response out of the server in all facets e.g. movement, grenade throws, damage feedback on enemies. I've run in a straight line next to other players and they're faster than I am getting across open spaces on say Darkstar. Might go part way to explaining your statement.

Of course the other team might have just sucked :)

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/523dd755-64db-4255-8adb-2b33f940c457
(17 secs)

You can also see my grenade throwing origin is from the server side and in an older position than my current player position. My grenade comes out of my chest instead of my hand basically and is delayed way more than yours.

*I'm not trying to be a dick here or say I'm better than you mate. Just curious about your statement of being bad but made Onyx.

Compare your clip vs mine - at the very start of yours check how quick the grenade comes out vs. mine last night in "regular quality MM" for me. There's a very detectable delay difference. Seeing that guy chasing while you're basically strafing says to me you're getting a far better response out of the server in all facets e.g. movement, grenade throws, damage feedback on enemies. I've run in a straight line next to other players and they're faster than I am getting across open spaces on say Darkstar. Might go part way to explaining your statement.

Of course the other team might have just sucked :)

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/523dd755-64db-4255-8adb-2b33f940c457
(17 secs)

You can also see my grenade throwing origin is from the server side and in an older position than my current player position. My grenade comes out of my chest instead of my hand basically and is delayed way more than yours.

That probably does have a factor in it. I'm from southern California, so I'm probably fairly close to whatever servers they use on the west coast.

Now that is some lag. Lol splattered your toe or what? Lmao

I know fun way to play. Getting full Aussie parties together is consistently a pain, even when you get a full party of 12 you're still 50/50 for USA dedis (way less in reality). Ugh. Anything less and forget Aussie dedis altogether. Same happens in Arena or social with smaller team numbers.

Top Bottom