• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

That probably does have a factor in it. I'm from southern California, so I'm probably fairly close to whatever servers they use on the west coast.

I'm sending my son over to live with you and train to go pro :)

Yep, you have one of the primary Azure datacentres right in Cali (MS call it West US):

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/regions/

Edit: Ozzy on top of it!

I'm only 30-50mins drive away from my Azure datacentre in Aus, Victoria but it just doesn't have population or filters to lock us in. Probably near identical to your Azure distances but US have Halo population so you're playing on that dedis basically all the time.

They use Microsoft's Azure servers right? That what's I heard last.

Apparently they are in Iowa, Virginia, Illinois, Texas, and California.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/regions/

Edit: Ozzy on top of it!

Maybe that's why I've almost never had connection problems, I've heard TONS of people go OMG they don't die/connection is awful/I shoot people 10 times. I always just shrug and go I don't have that problem, really ever. First perk from living in Iowa ever?

The loading zones between Campaign, Arena, and Warzone are definitely my least favorite "feature" of the UI. Even if they're just three seconds they do feel like they slow down your experience dramatically.

Yep, literally blew my mind when I found that out, just why, how.

Where's the closest to the UK? Ohio? xD

from the link said:
North Europe Ireland
West Europe Netherlands
Germany Central Frankfurt
Germany Northeast Magdeburg
United Kingdom South To be announced
United Kingdom West To be announced

UK connection to even the Netherlands and Germany servers are likely still closer than mine lol.

Yep, literally blew my mind when I found that out, just why, how.

Likely reason is each lobby service is running on different servers so they can more easily gauge usage needs and scale server load. It's not actually "loading" anything, but preparing connections since everything is on dedis now. Of course, I don't know if any of that is true, so it could just be a case of "it was easier to program it that way" which could be the case for any number of reasons.

UK connection to even the Netherlands and Germany servers are likely still closer than mine lol.

Likely reason is each lobby service is running on different servers so they can more easily gauge usage needs and scale server load. It's not actually "loading" anything, but preparing connections since everything is on dedis now. Of course, I don't know if any of that is true, so it could just be a case of "it was easier to program it that way" which could be the case for any number of reasons.

You're on the money. Note when you first load the game UI you can switch between Arena or WZ without a loading time, even back out and change your selection on the fly. It appears post a game or starting a dedis during searching you then have the UI loading.

Interesting just last night I had this below, it shows they do poll dedis/selections during playlist loading (never seen this one before myself):

Screenshot-Original.png

EYEL1NER

Aw, hell yeah! Warzone Turbo is back this weekend?! I'm gonna finish the SMG and DMR commendations for sure.
I need to hop on but that damn Best Buy sale today has me installing way too much stuff right now. I need to install Elder Scrolls Online, Mad Max, Fallout 4, and I still have a tremendous amount of Rock Band 4 DLC to download (I'm glad it found some automatically after the game installed but the 120 songs it queued up is nowhere close to the amount of songs in my library that are importable.
I might just give it a rest for the evening and jump on Halo though. I missed having a DMR right off the bat in WZ.

Wow, just played super fiesta on the rig and started with the gavel, went on a run before being taken out... Then I spawned with the nornfang and that's what I finished with :)

Leyasu

Banned
Interesting, so I'm connecting to something 250 - 300 miles away. I guess that's not the worst, but still...

Please bring Azure to the UK quicker ty!

It's nothing. If you live close to your telephone exchange, you probably ping both Ireland and Holland in the late 20s (check titanfall). Whereas you ping Ohio over 100 which renders the game unplayable.

343 gonna 343. I am gutted about the region lock removal. I just can't bring myself to load the game up anymore.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
PartyUpGaming, eh? Looks like those killfarming assholes have some top players among them. I guess skill doesn't teach you honor.

Dice

They are pathetic losers who get their jollies off denying randoms any fun (edit for clarity: or the courtesy/dignity of finishing a game when they easily could). Like if an NBA team played a bunch of high schoolers and went all harlem globetrotters on them.

PartyUpGaming, eh? Looks like those killfarming assholes have some top players among them. I guess skill doesn't teach you honor.

Now take a look at their SC Waypoint profile:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/PartyUpGaming

THE MOST LEGIT SPARTAN COMPANY YOU WILL FIND!
PRO SPARTAN COMPANY
PartyUpGaming's Original Company
Welcome to PartyUpGaming!
To sum it up we are a Pro Spartan Company 1 of the BEST Companies on Halo 5, we emphasize playing together with our members and we always have PUG fireteam lobbies running 24/7. Typically 3 full Warzone Lobbies during the day, 1 at night & 3-5 full Arena Lobbies during the day, 1-2 at night. based on U.S.A. times
DUE TO MAXIMUM CAPACITY ALL APPLICANTS MUST PLEASE APPLY TO
PartyUpGaming Legends - Arena Players
PartyUpGaming Warriors - Warzone Players
Information About Us:
◾We are a 350+ Member competitive Spartan Company of the BEST, all members MUST be ACTIVE, and PARTY UP with each other. We are on throughout all timezones and are not limited to any specific region. We are a strictly Halo 5 Spartan Company for the Xbox One.
◾Our #1 Goal is to have a Spartan Company that Plays Together.
◾Achilles Set was just the beggining.
Requirements to Join:
- Must Party Up with Spartan Company Members (No Lone Wolfing it)!!!
- Prefer Everyone has a Microphone or Kinect
- Arena Players:
◾Must Have 1.10 Kill/Death Ratio or Higher
◾Must be Spartan Rank 100+
◾Must be Onyx or Champion Ranked
- Warzone Players:
◾Must Have 1.45 Kill/Death Ratio or Higher
◾Must be Spartan Rank 130+
New PartyUpGaming Spartans:
1) Please add EVERYONE from our Company as a 'Friend' on Xbox Live. That way you can invite your fellow Spartan Company Members to your fire team.
2) Check out the "Orientation", "Communications", & "Spartan Company Roster" on our clan forums to get started.
3) Once accepted MUST download "Discord" (free) mobile app.
PartyUpGaming Averages:
◾Average K/D 1.55+
◾Average KDA 3.7+
◾Average Win/Lose Ratio 73%+
◾Average Spartan Rank 140+

Christ I like to play in a party and we'll occasionally objective hold if we have a good connection but this is a whole other level.

Dice

Wow that obsession with KDA.

Anyways I just played a game of SF where we were behind as the game was wrapping up and I see one of my teammates running around with a gavel on his back. I didn't betray him but he died in an explosive trade so I grabbed it. The other team was at 48 kills so I was running around like noonedienoonedienoonedie. We gotta preach the gospel of the gavel, man. Everyone has to know!

I'm progressing weapon commendations and I just want to say... I think if you click on the rewards thing in postgame it should go to opening packs, not the shop.

I'm progressing weapon commendations and I just want to say... I think if you click on the rewards thing in postgame it should go to opening packs, not the shop.
It does go to your packs. The issue is if the REQ server is lagging behind, it won't register as anything being available so it just does the default action which is to take you to the store.

Dice

It has been consistently lagging on "receiving data" tonight so I guess the REQ server is having some trouble.

Earlier I said I've never seen someone bumped off the ledge, well... I just did it on accident. Bonus cheap radar psychic opening (I agree I shouldn't have been able to do that) and me sucking at spartan laser, though I have been doing better with it.

Edit: I feel too chatty, gonna slow my posts. SF stirs my mind.

That Spartan Company sounds pretty dull.

Hey guys, team up with other KD whores, but only if you've played for 300+ hours! Steamroll Warzone enemies! Add 350+ 'friends'!

no thanks.

-Ryn

Banned
That Spartan Company sounds pretty dull.

Hey guys, team up with other KD whores, but only if you've played for 300+ hours! Steamroll Warzone enemies! Add 350+ 'friends'!

no thanks.
There are no air quotes big enough to go along with that use of the word "friends".

I'm sure they are a jolly bunch of fellows

Man it is just not possible to recover when a legendary boss is scored by the enemy team early huh?

2 Warzone Turbo matches just turned into dull timewasting efforts because the enemy team was about to take down a 150pt boss a minute into the match and kept that lead the entire time, its pointless to try afterwards. almost wanted to just go AFK if it wasn't for the boot system.

Akai__

Ping test each Azure datacentre speed on your connection (you get millisecond results for each in real time):
http://www.azurespeed.com/

*Double post to highlight this handy little website for all.

CtGcrGZ.png

West US California at 179ms
Both AUS a little over 300ms
South America over 200ms

This is exactly, why I always wanted sever selection or at least region based matchmaking preferences.

I didn't know they announced 8 new servers. Not that it matters to me, since 40-70ms ping in Europe is pretty nice. And if you look at those locations, it's mostly in places where servers are already available anyways. Probably costs a lot of money to add servers locations to places like Africa, Asia, etc. and maybe it's not even worth it, since they might not have many customers there.

However, I wonder if devs like 343i actually add new servers to their games, whenever new ones are available? I could also imagine that some of these are not meant to be used for game servers.

However, I wonder if devs like 343i actually add new servers to their games, whenever new ones are available? I could also imagine that some of these are not meant to be used for game servers.

Awesome response time you've got there mate. Titanfall at launch had Aussie servers down as low 18-25ms. Customs in H5 feel like that for the most part.

One word of warning I've found that ping Azure test website to be a bit higher than in game. The reason is Azure is configured as a web service by default and hops many ISPs for traffic etc. During internet browsing the difference between 100ms-200ms response isn't much given downloads videos etc. Gaming is quite different in its priority routing of direct XBL games traffic for example. Even my Aussie Vic Azure says 98-110ms on that site. In customs or when we actually get that dedis close to me in game it's more like 20-50ms. If people want it next week I can open up some networking tools and do a how to guide to actually test some things around Azure and dedis for your latency/traffic etc. Just remember when you're using terms like Azure you're talking web apps/sites for the most part, not gaming.

I really don't understand MS or 343 not giving us dedis choice or world wide match as a toggle. It's a simple toggle and selection list, Azure devs could code the crap out of that quite quickly IMO. It's by design/development from MS or 343 to not give that to us. The weird part to me is say they responded with it's to keep population pools across playlists globally, that doesn't fly with me. Perhaps initially on game launch but my gut tells me you give players the default setting and the toggle to select DCs, their in game experience is going to be that much better when they try toggles. If the casuals or those who don't care to try settings in games don't change it MS/343 haven't lost anything really. Surely the faster higher quality gameplay is what retains players. Titanfall still matches games today with an even smaller population than H4/5.

To address the quote snip above 343 or other game devs don't add servers to Azure. It's completely run by MS and they have containers of expansion with servers ready to deploy, have spare space in the datacentre they build etc. It's a massive network to rival any cloud provider. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is comparable to Azure for example, less worldwide regional presence than Azure. I don't know of another DC solutions company with such regional spread e.g. Australia has 2 Azure DCs and only 1 AWS. Same goes for the next closest competitor.

Leyasu

Banned
The irony of the keeping the player pool and giving us quick matchmaking, is that they probably could have kept ALOT more players worldwide if the had given us options in where we matchmake or a region lock on launch.

Instead they knew best, bullshitted us with "a low ping server every game" and now its a fucking disaster. The best mp that I have played to date and I just can't touch it at the moment.

Top Bottom