• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

TCKaos

Anything would be better than a Torque Remix.
What they can't just do a new map, seriously.
They are being really bad on the map front.

Hey man there are 26 textures in this update, I'll have you know. That's a solid 57% of the content included. What, do you think they just open up a texture in Photoshop and pay one guy to make literally all of that content over the course of a single work day or something?

It's even worse when you consider the fact that 15 of those textures were already available in a previous limited-run promo pack, so really you're only getting 11 new textures. Or really 10, considering the Sharktooth Grin AR is there twice.

Also Rapidfire DMR REQ inbound lol

So how about that top notch infographic, eh? Can't wait to use an "Assault Rifle" or the new "DMR"...

Like, does no one even look at the stuff before they send it off to Bravo?

Hey you guys remember when Torque was in Reach? ugh.

Why not something from Reach that might work in H5? Anchor 9 minus zero-G? Tempest? Highlands? Like, damn. So much hype for sooooooo little Reach :(

In non-Reach news, how did it take them this long to figure out that the Pool of Radiance was terrible? Pretty sure the community has known since Day 1.

There are top-notch remakes of MLG Zealot, MLG Countdown and Swordbase that I'd like to see in Arena. Highlands in BTB would be awesome as fuck.

But yeah, on the subject of the Pool of Radiance and such: You think someone would have access to the stats for how often players that obtain these REQs are using them vs selling them, and if they do then they probably should have looked at those stats earlier. Weapons like Kirith's Left Hand, Twin Jewels, Rain of Oblivion, Pool of Radiance, Echidna, Talon, White Scar, Loathsome Thing, and Didact's Signet are arguable downgrades from their base weapon. For various reasons, ranging from inconsistencies in the effectiveness of the weapon (Kirith, the Scattershots) to mechanical differences that are outright nerfs (Radiance, Echidna, Talon, White Scar), some of the REQs just never see the light of day in standard Warzone. They're more expensive to deploy than their cheaper, more readily available and more effective counterparts.

EYEL1NER

I am absolutely ecstatic right now! Just finished a WZ Turbo match on A.R.C. and not only was it a good one, I was the top scorer in points not just for my team but altogether. We won, 1000-441. I netted 5 boss takedowns, 1 legendary boss takedown, 2 base captures, 12 kills, 3 deaths, and 9 assists. Half way through the match I decided to spawn a Wraith and the enemy team had no answer for me cruising around killing them and bosses. A knight noble finally did me in so I figured "Fuck it, why not keep going?" and spawned another Wraith to take out their side's Hunters.

I know that all-in-all, I didn't do THAT amazing. But if I could play WZ like that all the time, then we'd be cooking (of course I wouldn't be calling in Wraiths in regular WZ that fast or often, but still). Just feels good to not be the worst performer in a match for once.

EDIT: I just went to buy a REQ pack and it seems like the REQ system may be down right now, which got me wondering: For anyone who experiences it, what happens when the REQ system in WZ Turbo goes down? I am assuming everyone just runs around with ARs and Pistols like in regular WZ only it is at REQ Lvl 9? That would be pretty frustrating, all that REQ energy and unable to call anything in.

mo60

I am absolutely ecstatic right now! Just finished a WZ Turbo match on A.R.C. and not only was it a good one, I was the top scorer in points not just for my team but altogether. We won, 1000-441. I netted 5 boss takedowns, 1 legendary boss takedown, 2 base captures, 12 kills, 3 deaths, and 9 assists. Half way through the match I decided to spawn a Wraith and the enemy team had no answer for me cruising around killing them and bosses. A knight noble finally did me in so I figured "Fuck it, why not keep going?" and spawned another Wraith to take out their side's Hunters.

I know that all-in-all, I didn't do THAT amazing. But if I could play WZ like that all the time, then we'd be cooking (of course I wouldn't be calling in Wraiths in regular WZ that fast or often, but still). Just feels good to not be the worst performer in a match for once.

EDIT: I just went to buy a REQ pack and it seems like the REQ system may be down right now, which got me wondering: For anyone who experiences it, what happens when the REQ system in WZ Turbo goes down? I am assuming everyone just runs around with ARs and Pistols like in regular WZ only it is at REQ Lvl 9? That would be pretty frustrating, all that REQ energy and unable to call anything in.

Yes. Everyone runs around with AR's and pistols in a warzone turbo match if the req system is down.

Just faced a bunch of members of the dominated spartan company in a warzone turbo match including the leader(Wasp Almighty) and a few other members. My team got crushed. Almost all the members of the enemy teams SR ranks ranged from 145 to 150. I only got 3 kills in the match.

This is the match.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-ca/...oryMatchIndex=0&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

13 mins, cant believe they still farm lmao. No wonder Wasp only pulls 15 viewers and wont be partnered for another 2+ years on Twitch.

Akai__

Such a laughable update. 343i, your post game content sucks. You are so out of touch with your community, it's amazing.

Community Update is coming real soon, it'll be worth it.

So much worth it. Wow!

There are 7 maps left, for the 15+ maps. The Rig,Coliseum and Tyrant remixes. Darkstar Assault, plus 2 more WZ maps. I doubt we'll see any Dev crafted BTB maps.

You mean 18+ maps.

Yeah I’m trying to keep my expectations low, even though I excited for it. I think we might only get one new map this time. Last time they released a new game mode that update only came with one new map. So I’m thinking:

Torque remix
Infection
Reach armor

I don’t know if the grenade launcher will come back, HaloGAF is the only one that seems to care about it.

I’d love to see the Falcon, but I highly doubt it. That’s a completely new vehicle model they would have to make.

Plus there are UI updates and campaign stuff. So I’m pretty excited about it, but I’ll wait until we get some more info before judging.

I was pretty much right with this post. I kept my expectations in check. I'm excited for Infection and the Reach armors.

It does make me wonder because we do only have two updates left. The Firefight one is probably solely focused on FF, so there's not really much speculation about that.

Hog Wild though I'm curious about. Sounds like it would focus more on larger maps and vehicles, plus probably some type of race mode.

Gungoose CTF.
Kill me.

Sai

Kinda late mentioning this, but I wonder why they didn't bring back the Flood combat forms for the Zombies from Halo 4(they were in Halo 2:Anniversary as well, right?). Did the fans just not like the way they looked? Or was this more of a time/resource thing? Honestly never was much of a fan of Infection, and don't ever recall playing Flood in Halo 4, so it's not a big deal to me; but I'm still curious.

Really hope that weapon next to the Brute Plasma Rifle is the M319 Grenade Launcher. If it does turn out to be Jorge's custom Chaingun, how would they serve to differentiate it, or make it even more desirable than the already devastating Oni Chaingun?... Built-in Shield-buff? Larger ammo clip? I think the explosive rounds of the Oni Chaingun would still put it on top, because they melt through everything, and have a tendency to disorient those on the receiving end.

Since I already got all of those weapon skins, the new REQ offerings in this Content Update seem kinda meager. If the Pro Pipe or Falcon are in there, I'll still be happy though. :p

mo60

13 mins, cant believe they still farm lmao. No wonder Wasp only pulls 15 viewers and wont be partnered for another 2+ years on Twitch.

I did not even know I facing wasp and his crew until later on in that match.They did not trap my team in our home base the whole time, but it was really hard to get out of our home base later on in the match without getting sniped by someone, getting killed by some vehicle or getting killed by a saw or another weapon..Looking at the stats for that match some of the KDA's for the players on the enemy team are extremely high.

Glass

Downloaded the very map featured at the top of the update before it went up last night, took some screenshots at the time

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Presume its becoming one of the Infection maps?

Edit: One of the best parts of the file browser is the ability to just click a link on the community update and get the map.

Now that I think about it, Halo 5 still seems like a learning process for 343i. Halo 4 was their first game and there was a lot wrong with it. So they fixed what was wrong and now we have Halo 5. Halo 5 has some great gameplay, but when it comes to actual content and post-structure for the game it’s been lacking. Slowly it’s getting better, however it seems like most of this should have been there from the start. However, all of this will eventually lead to Halo 6, the final chapter in 343i’s trilogy. They learned from their mistakes in Halo 4, so I’m hoping they learned from their mistakes in Halo 5. If they do, Halo 6 should be an amazing finale to the trilogy. They have the gameplay down; they just need to fix the other issues.

I will say one thing. They did do a great job at revitalizing the competitive scene.

Curious to see what the Torque remix is like, it didn't look all that different layout wise from the small glimpse that we got. Just looked snowy, I'm guessing there's going to be additional side routes where you fall off on Torque.

The competitive stuff it great, they just haven't managed to release any new maps worthy of being added to HCS/pro league which it a bit of a shame.

I don't hate the new maps like some, I just can't see them being viable additions.

The competitive stuff it great, they just haven't managed to release any new maps worthy of being added to HCS/pro league which it a bit of a shame.

I don't hate the new maps like some, I just can't see them being viable additions.

Tyrant is a good competitive map, Torque would be okay as well if they could tweak the lighting. Overgrowth and Riptide though... :lol

E92 M3

It was a nice update, but kinda sucks that they are bringing back the LE skins. People paid a lot of money for those and 343 said they were limited.

jem0208

I think the post launch updates have pretty damn good really, it's definitely kept me coming back to play the game each month.

Yes, it could be argued some of this stuff should have been in at launch but IMO that's a pointless argument.

BraXzy

It was a nice update, but kinda sucks that they are bringing back the LE skins. People paid a lot of money for those and 343 said they were limited.

They didn't say that. They said they would be coming in future updates except for the 343 ones.

Yeah I don't think they ever said they were limited run, just that you had a better chance of getting rare stuff as well as a chance at the 14 unique skins.

It is a shame that they're a big part of the total new content since its not really new.

Yeah I don't think they ever said they were limited run, just that you had a better chance of getting rare stuff as well as a chance at the 14 unique skins.

It is a shame that they're a big part of the total new content since its not really new.

343 in on full steam developing Halo 6. They don't have time!

Blueblur1

The post launch maps run from bad to acceptable. But I hope they're not counting those forge maps as new maps because they simply are not what the community expected when they talked about post launch support.

All the skins and armor variants are cute but it's filler content. I want and expect gameplay content. I'll stop and see that stuff like adding the Halo 2 BR was nice and is more than filler. But all those weapon skins and emblems are totally filler. (And hilarious that it took months to give us some of the classic emblems like the frickin' number emblems.)

I can't knock them on Forge support. Otherwise, Halo 5's post launch support has been very disappointing.

The post launch maps run from bad to acceptable. But I hope they're not counting those forge maps as new maps because they simply are not what the community expected when they talked about post launch support.

All the skins and armor variants are cute but it's filler content. I want and expect gameplay content. I'll stop and see that stuff like adding the Halo 2 BR was nice and is more than filler. But all those weapon skins and emblems are totally filler. (And hilarious that it took months to give us some of the classic emblems like the frickin' number emblems.)

I can't knock them on Forge support. Otherwise, Halo 5's post launch support has been very disappointing.

It's 343. Those 4 maps will count.

When people were questioning if forge maps counted towards the "18+ maps post-launch" I laughed, thinking that obviously wasn't the case. I no longer find it funny, especially since 343 have yet to address the question. A simple, "No they don't count towards that map count." would suffice.

When people were questioning if forge maps counted towards the "18+ maps post-launch" I laughed, thinking that obviously wasn't the case. I no longer find it funny, especially since 343 have yet to address the question. A simple, "No they don't count towards that map count." would suffice.

How about a "Yes they do count toward the map count"? Is that okay too?

Fuchsdh

If you have an emergency and you need to leave the house you really won't have to play another Halo game in the next 30 minutes. I definitely think stuff like being able to surrender (especially when a teammate quits) should be a thing along with being able to rejoin if you accidentally disconnect, but a 30 minute ban for one quit is pretty standard for a lot of online games.

In my case my only quits have come from getting thrown into Grifball matches where I glitched out of the court and the game thought I was deliberately suiciding. There's plenty of reasons why quitting out of one game in an interval shouldn't be a long ban.

Tomash

They never specified that the 18+ maps would be only dev maps, so technically they're not lieing if they include the btb maps

Tom French has said that 15+ maps do not include community made maps. I think that 343i counts 6 BTB Forge maps as dev made maps, Basin was made by 343i employee and rest were co-developed with community cartographers. And it adds up. 6 BTB maps + 5-7 Arena maps + 6 announced Warzone maps ~= 18+ maps

https://twitter.com/pardontomfrench/status/690714981508202496

Trup1aya

Tom French has said that 15+ maps do not include community made maps. I think that 343i counts 6 BTB Forge maps as dev made maps, Basin was made by 343i employee and rest were co-developed with community cartographers. And it adds up. 6 BTB maps + 5-7 Arena maps + 6 announced Warzone maps ~= 18+ maps

https://twitter.com/pardontomfrench/status/690714981508202496

The fact that we still don't have a clear explanation of what they mean by dev made maps is maddening... Like how hard is it for them to tell us how many of the promised maps have been delivered at this point.

Considering 343i thinks we had 6 Warzone maps at launch, I'm just gonna assume that every map/remix/variant ever released in an update counts, and 343i has massively over-delivered. Kappa

Fuchsdh

Kinda late mentioning this, but I wonder why they didn't bring back the Flood combat forms for the Zombies from Halo 4(they were in Halo 2:Anniversary as well, right?). Did the fans just not like the way they looked? Or was this more of a time/resource thing? Honestly never was much of a fan of Infection, and don't ever recall playing Flood in Halo 4, so it's not a big deal to me; but I'm still curious.

Really hope that weapon next to the Brute Plasma Rifle is the M319 Grenade Launcher. If it does turn out to be Jorge's custom Chaingun, how would they serve to differentiate it, or make it even more desirable than the already devastating Oni Chaingun?... Built-in Shield-buff? Larger ammo clip? I think the explosive rounds of the Oni Chaingun would still put it on top, because they melt through everything, and have a tendency to disorient those on the receiving end.

Since I already got all of those weapon skins, the new REQ offerings in this Content Update seem kinda meager. If the Pro Pipe or Falcon are in there, I'll still be happy though. :p

Custom games people were not fans of the Flood models, as they causes problems when trying to use the mode for other types of custom games. I personally really liked the H2A ones and would have loved if they kept it like that, but c'est la vie.

BraXzy

Given that 343i said there will be 6 Warzone maps post-launch, and only 3 have been delivered, unless Hogwild delivers 3 Warzone maps + the rig remix all in one bout, there ought to be one or two more content drops. That is.... if held to their 6 map promise.

I'm going to be optimistic - come E3 Bonnie will take stage and announce a Season 2 of free H5 DLC starting later this year.

I wish assault variants didn't count since they're so similar to the base ones, but they counted for the launch count, which means they'll count towards the DLC count.

I think they will keep doing content updates after the announced ones though. They are making bank on req packs. It would be foolish to not make more cards.

I think they will keep doing content updates after the announced ones though. They are making bank on req packs. It would be foolish to not make more cards.

Honestly, if 343 were super smart they should just ride out Halo 5 for the rest of this gen and save 6 for next gen.

They could have a "Halo 5 year 2" or "Halo 5 2017" series of content updates. Perhaps another 6 updates (once every 2 months or something). I mean they're already having an HWC 2017 so there should be new req content for people to buy. Maybe there could even be a 3rd year of content, who knows.

This way, Halo 5 will have a strong attachment through the generation, sort of like what Nintendo does with Smash and Mario Kart. They make one of those games a generation, so everyone buys it. You don't have the situation of trying to win back fans with a new version.

Honestly, if 343 were super smart they should just ride out Halo 5 for the rest of this gen and save 6 for next gen.

They could have a "Halo 5 year 2" or "Halo 5 2017" series of content updates. Perhaps another 6 updates (once every 2 months or something). I mean they're already having an HWC 2017 so there should be new req content for people to buy. Maybe there could even be a 3rd year of content, who knows.

This way, Halo 5 will have a strong attachment through the generation, sort of like what Nintendo does with Smash and Mario Kart. They make one of those games a generation, so everyone buys it. You don't have the situation of trying to win back fans with a new version.

I'd agree, I don't really want a Halo 6 on the under powered Xbone, they already made compromises with the first Halo developed for the console. Plus waiting on the next Xbox may alleviate franchise fatigue.

Top Bottom