• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

Those definitely would be too much. Maps must have an excessively huge amount of verticality to adapt to them, and they could be way too challenging for map design to accomodate both intuitiveness and skill ceiling. What I actually want though, is a small second jump to replace clamber.

I'd be in heaven if maps were designed so that crouch jumping could get you everywhere. I'm cool with clamber existing, but u hate that it's a requirement to navigate effectively

I don't mind clamber, but I think you can do it too quickly. I want them to lengthen the time it takes to hoist yourself up. I know I'm a broken record around here, but I still think bad decisions are still too hard to punish with how easy it is too escape.

Also, since sprint is supposed to use your suit energy (you can't recharge when sprinting), I think a simple energy bar would be cool where you have to manage it properly. Say you are sprinting, but you are nearly out of energy so you can't go into a thrust. Or maybe you thrust and then can only sprint for a short distance. To go even further, maybe using up your energy then pulls from your shields so that you actually start to lose shields if you sprint or thrust too much.

Would be really cool to see how that meta would play out. Would require more thought and strategy into your Spartan Abilities. It would still allow for aggressive and fast play, but balance out the chaos.

Imagine if your shields go down and then you can't thrust away because you have no suit power.

For movement, I'd:
  • Remove clambering
  • Remove sliding (with what little utility it has already)
  • Remove charging (because it's stupid and it sucks and I hate it)
  • Introduce the ability to use the thrusters for vertical movement, giving the player a small boost upwards instead of a significant boost laterally (and I mean small)
  • Reintroduce magnum starts into Big Team Battle

Trup1aya

I don't mind clamber, but I think you can do it too quickly. I want them to lengthen the time it takes to hoist yourself up. I know I'm a broken record around here, but I still think bad decisions are still too hard to punish with how easy it is too escape.

Also, since sprint is supposed to use your suit energy (you can't recharge when sprinting), I think a simple energy bar would be cool where you have to manage it properly. Say you are sprinting, but you are nearly out of energy so you can't go into a thrust. Or maybe you thrust and then can only sprint for a short distance. To go even further, maybe using up your energy then pulls from your shields so that you actually start to lose shields if you sprint or thrust too much.

Would be really cool to see how that meta would play out. Would require more thought and strategy into your Spartan Abilities. It would still allow for aggressive and fast play, but balance out the chaos.

Imagine if your shields go down and then you can't thrust away because you have no suit power.

Too quickly? The maps currently REQUIRE clamber,which means you are FORCED to have your gun holstered in order to navigate. That's already maddening enough. Lengthening the time it takes to get back into the action would make it worse

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
For movement, I'd:
  • Remove clambering
  • Introduce the ability to use the thrusters for vertical movement, giving the player a small boost upwards instead of a significant boost laterally (and I mean small)

Absolutely, positively, do not remove slide

jem0208

Definitely do not remove slide or clamber.

Slide because it has very few negative effects but introduces cool things like thrust slides.

Clamber because it makes vertical movement so much smoother and less clunky.

Strider

For movement, I'd:
  • Remove clambering

Poiints 3 and 5 I agree.

The others.... absolutely not

Smokey

is FFA that bare in the early hours? Been trying to get a game since like 6a. 2 hours later, still failing to find a match. Slayer matched up quickly, tho.

Nowise10

Spartan Charge is the only thing gross in Halo 5 regarding movement and mechanics. I love everything else.

Also fuck BR starts in BTB.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'd like halo 5s movement to be the same in 6, only tweaked. I'd like slide to be better incorporated into the movement with a better functioning thrust slide in addition to other purposeful movement additions like that. But the thing that needs the biggest tweaking is stabilize. There has got to be a better way to integrate that into the game

Gwyn

I'd like halo 5s movement to be the same in 6, only tweaked. I'd like slide to be better incorporated into the movement with a better functioning thrust slide in addition to other purposeful movement additions like that. But the thing that needs the biggest tweaking is stabilize. There has got to be a better way to integrate that into the game

What if when you thrust(LB for me) and left stick is not moved while mid air it stabilizes.
So if you want to thrust in a direction you always need to move your left stick+thrust, if left stick is not moved and then you click thrust it stabilizes instead?
Would that be complicated?

nillapuddin

Yeah that's on the map creators then. Don't use so many objects if there is a limitation.

This.

Obviously I know my way around a forge or two, this is entirely on the creator and the approval process.

Maps don't generate framerate issues out of nowhere. If it's there now, it was there in the first playtest, the last playtest and every one in between.

I know this is fact, not just because of common sense, but I've built huge ass btb maps and I know where the line is. Highlands pushed the line too far and I redesigned the whole environment to use less pieces so it wouldn't be an issue. Obviously on Avy it was one of Nok and I's primary directives.

Frame rate is 100% avoidable.

The fact of the matter is that most people care more about what a map looks like, than how well it plays. This is nothing new, and will always be the case.

Karl2177

This.

Obviously I know my way around a forge or two, this is entirely on the creator and the approval process.

Maps don't generate framerate issues out of nowhere. If it's there now, it was there in the first playtest, the last playtest and every one in between.

I know this is fact, not just because of common sense, but I've built huge ass btb maps and I know where the line is. Highlands pushed the line too far and I redesigned the whole environment to use less pieces so it wouldn't be an issue. Obviously on Avy it was one of Nok and I's primary directives.

The fact of the matter is that most people care more about what a map looks like, than how well it plays. This is nothing new, and will always be the case.
I agree with this except for the part where they don't just come out of nowhere. I got my maps functioning before the patch to work 8v8 with no frame drops. Now one of them has drops when it's just me running around. Something changed with the lighting engine between patches that made it worse. And this isn't the first time either that I'll have to go through my map and redo the lights.

I agree with this except for the part where they don't just come out of nowhere. I got my maps functioning before the patch to work 8v8 with no frame drops. Now one of them has drops when it's just me running around. Something changed with the lighting engine between patches that made it worse. And this isn't the first time either that I'll have to go through my map and redo the lights.

Yup - I've heard similar things from others too.

nillapuddin

Personally I've never had lights cause issues with perf, it's always been object congestion and/or long sight lines that are rendering 100's of objects at once.

I've never had a map perform better/worse after a patch, but if you say its affected you I'll give it to you.

Nevertheless, this is matchmaking quality testing here, I find it pretty difficult to believe they never once reported perf issues on these maps til they went out to the masses.

Personally I've never had lights cause issues with perf, it's always been object congestion and/or long sight lines that are rendering 100's of objects at once.

I've never had a map perform better/worse after a patch, but if you say its affected you I'll give it to you.

Nevertheless, this is matchmaking quality testing here, I find it pretty difficult to believe they never once reported perf issues on these maps til they went out to the masses.

Exactly, why even have testing if you're going to ignore the concerns.

That's unfortunate. I really hope it doesn't take as very much time to redo the lights to minimize the annoyance (I'm not a forger). I'm sure it depends on the map though.

Sai

I know I'm kinda late to ask this, but does anybody want a Gold Pack?

[EDIT] - Preferably somebody that hasn't completed their REQ collection!

Whenever I have dabbled in forge, I'll notice that sometimes an object will illuminate properly while an object right next to it won't. Or sometimes they flicker between lighted states. I remember being really frustrated with that.

How do you get around that issue?

Just got this message

GhHJ9Y.jpg

Any interest from anyone here?

This.

This is so fucking painfully true. It's absurd how much effort goes into aesthetic things you literally stop noticing after five minutes because people are trying to kill you.

Not that aesthetics aren't important (not like playing on Reach's gray slabs for three years was awesome), but it's ridiculous when they start impinging on gameplay rather than enhancing it.

Thanks for your efforts, anyway.

I know I'm kinda late to ask this, but does anybody want a Gold Pack?

[EDIT] - Preferably somebody that hasn't completed their REQ collection!

me please? I still have a good amount left T_T

edit:

About that BTB ... umm.. where do they exactly stream and where does this exposure going to come from? heckle heckle

UncleMeat

Glad you guys are talking about movement for halo 6 because I've been thinking about it as well playing some halo 5 this week after a bunch of titanfall 2. I don't think they'll add wall running or double jump but I'd like to see a wall jump as a nice compromise. That way you could use perpendicular walls to get over ledges without clambering when possible. It'd make it easier to get around without breaking traditional halo maps I think.

And am totally fine with getting rid of charge and keeping everything else, but that may be because I'm on the receiving end of it 90% of the time.

Glad you guys are talking about movement for halo 6 because I've been thinking about it as well playing some halo 5 this week after a bunch of titanfall 2. I don't think they'll add wall running or double jump but I'd like to see a wall jump as a nice compromise. That way you could use perpendicular walls to get over ledges without clambering when possible. It'd make it easier to get around without breaking traditional halo maps I think.

And am totally fine with getting rid of charge and keeping everything else, but that may be because I'm on the receiving end of it 90% of the time.

God no wall running please. Its the biggest reason i dont play any COD now a days. Keep it simple. But, i think it would be cool if i could throw one of my weapons at a team mate as an "exchange". Lets say i grab the sniper and i suck with it, i could throw it at a close-ish team mate and he could trow me his currently equipped weapon.

Just a thought.

Karl2177

My long sightlines really come close to the object limit, but oddly enough those aren't the trouble spots. Right now it's areas that use non-shadow/light-rendered blocks with dynamic lighting from the opposite side(if I'm lighting a floor, the lights are below the floor and it illuminates the floor properly... well pre patch anyways). It was a weird, but effective workaround when natural lighting on blocks was insanely dark when obscured by a terrain piece.

Exactly, why even have testing if you're going to ignore the concerns.

That's unfortunate. I really hope it doesn't take as very much time to redo the lights to minimize the annoyance (I'm not a forger). I'm sure it depends on the map though.
It shouldn't take too long. I generally make a few copies of a map, apply a different lighting scenario to each, and then set the best one to be public.

Whenever I have dabbled in forge, I'll notice that sometimes an object will illuminate properly while an object right next to it won't. Or sometimes they flicker between lighted states. I remember being really frustrated with that.

How do you get around that issue?
Trial and error involving static and dynamic lights and setting pieces to accept or not accept shadows/lights.

BizzyBum

This is true. Some BTB maps perform worse after the update.

It's on the creators and 343. They need to be taken down and the creators need to tweak the map under the new update to achieve 60fps or your map will no longer be in matchmaking. Why this hasn't happened yet is mind boggling. It's not just BTB, the new Orion map in Arena is god awful, too.

Just got this message

GhHJ9Y.jpg

Any interest from anyone here?

We've played Exo a few times, they are pretty good. I'd be down I guess, not sure what he means by getting more exposure though, GAF is pretty well known already. lol

Sai

me please? I still have a good amount left T_T
It's yours.

Eh, wish they didn't restrict this REQ Pack gifting to friends. Should be able to send them to folks in your Company/Club as well.

[EDIT] - Did I miss out on the Team Envyus and Liquid weapon skins? :(

Top Bottom