• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Lom1lo

ODST 2 would be nice, loved the atmosphere in 1.

I hope they tune those prometheans for the next title. I hate those soldiers, and fighting them just isnt fun. The knight are great imo.

I'd love this but just without the grinding and lame progression.

halo_x_division_by_goldenstalion-d9vrjom.png

Fair enough.

Ive frankly never understood the rancor over the H3 BR from some groups of the Halo population.

Most of the complaints seem to boil down to 'my mid-range utility weapon is not consistently and reliably effective beyond mid-range' ...which seems as valid a criticism as 'this shotgun failed to outgun that sniper rifle at long range.

Im certainly in the minority. The vast number of posters on the official Halo forums will die before you take their hitscan, aim-assist BRs at start away from them.

H5 BR starts in BTB in Halo 6 seems almost certain given popular opinion.

Trup1aya

Fair enough.

Ive frankly never understood the rancor over the H3 BR from some groups of the Halo population.

Most of the complaints seem to boil down to 'my mid-range utility weapon is not consistently and reliably effective beyond mid-range' ...which seems as valid a criticism as 'this shotgun failed to outgun that sniper rifle at long range.

Im certainly in the minority. The vast number of posters on the official Halo forums will die before you take their hitscan, aim-assist BRs at start away from them.

The problem with the H3BR was netcode. It was fine on LAN, but on P2P it never felt right unless you were host, which is why people hated it.

Hitscan weapons just give more reliable feedback.

All the projectile weapons were fine in CE because it was only played locally or on LAN. If it were an online game people would have hated that shit too.

Even dedis can't fix the net issue. That's why the H5 railguns were switched to hitscan, and the other projectile weapons have extreme homing properties

Voho

An ODST or Marine based tactical shooter would be insanely awesome. They could make the Covenant frightening again. The Flood too, since one spore would mean death without shields.

jelly

It would be cool if you could get infected by the flood but still fight on and your team mates have to be aware of you turning. The symptoms manifest on your hud but not completely noticeable for team mates. L4D survival run were your team mates come back to haunt you.

Fair enough.

The problem wasn't that the H3 BR was or wasn't effective, the problem was that its effectiveness was essentially random. Sometimes you could totally kill that guy across Valhalla. It's just not that fun to have to lead depending on your mutual connection to the host, and then on top of that deal with the slot machine of spread.

Adding randomness beyond the players control to where their projectiles go is antithetical to the fundamental gameplay of an FPS. Yes, to an extent randomness is unavoidable in an online environment, but the particular implementation of the H3BR made it much worse.

I would rather have my BR bullets turn into fucking fairies halfway across the map than deal with double-whammy bullshit of spread and connection-dependent leading.

An ODST or Marine based tactical shooter would be insanely awesome. They could make the Covenant frightening again. The Flood too, since one spore would mean death without shields.
I'm down for both comical and serious tones for Halo games. A Dead Space-esque game similar to the events of Mona Lisa would be great too. The only games I feared the Covenant/Flood were some parts in CE and ODST's Gold Hunters, so designing a game from a Marine's perspective in this setting could be awesome.

EDIT:
I would rather have my BR bullets turn into fucking fairies
Fairies vs H3 BR.... Tough decision imo.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd be down for an ODST x-com ripoff with a bit of full spectrum warrior thrown in too.

that and a kart racer. why not

There's definitely genres Halo hasn't touched it be a good fit, tactical shooter being an obvious one. I'm kind of hopeful Halo 6 pushes a little more to the shooter RPG side of things, because I've always loved BioShock but found its actual gunplay to be terrible. Halo already stole some elements from it like the intel/audio diaries, and the Fireteam gave us load out options and different perks, so I'd love it if they gave us some character customization to go along with it.

I wouldn't mind Osiris and Blue being able to tap into Forerunner architecture remotely and manipulate it to their advantage on the battlefield. If there's one thing that hasn't been done in Halo games before, it's being able to manipulate the levels you fight on directly.

I'd love this but just without the grinding and lame progression.

THE CHROMATIC ABERRATION
IT BURNS OH GOD IT BURNS

So i played some Halo MCC yesterday, i go in halo2 playlist and every game voted was BR slayer. No objectives, nothing else, only BR slayer even though theres a slayer playlist. The playlists in that game are fucking garbage.

why would you put 'br sslayer' as a gametype in the Halo 2 playlist when theres a god damn slayer playlist already. What stupid idiots.

Ade

Right, I sodding give up, I can't get decent Halo merchandise in this sodding country.

Would anyone mind, if they come across them, picking up all of series 2 and/or series 3 of Halo Heroes and mailing them to me in the UK.

Will pay all costs and such.

https://collectors.megabloks.com/en-us/news/closer-look-halo-heroes-series-2

Alternatively the Fireteam Osiris/Blue packs.

Its sad that I've got to resort to begging people on forums to pick them up, but any recent Halo merchandise just doesn't make it to this country. We've yet to get anything more recent than the H5 Launch Merchandise, and on the odd occasion something does make it over here, its ludicrously priced ($120ish for that Warthog with a 6" Chief).

I did want to get the full Mattel 6" range, however the US is now on the second selection of them, and we're yet to see any and importing stuff that large costs a fortune and the customs people enjoy destroying them.

The way most of Gaf feels about Scalebound is how I feel about MegaBlocks Halo. Looked like a ton of fun.

it wasn't even game though,. it was a prototype, right? now you wonder what other prototypes are in the lab that look even crazier. We already know one was in the wild in Russia* with Halo Online.

*russia right? or somewhere else?

Right, I sodding give up, I can't get decent Halo merchandise in this sodding country.

Would anyone mind, if they come across them, picking up all of series 2 and/or series 3 of Halo Heroes and mailing them to me in the UK.

Will pay all costs and such.

https://collectors.megabloks.com/en-us/news/closer-look-halo-heroes-series-2

Alternatively the Fireteam Osiris/Blue packs.

Its sad that I've got to resort to begging people on forums to pick them up, but any recent Halo merchandise just doesn't make it to this country. We've yet to get anything more recent than the H5 Launch Merchandise, and on the odd occasion something does make it over here, its ludicrously priced ($120ish for that Warthog with a 6" Chief).

I did want to get the full Mattel 6" range, however the US is now on the second selection of them, and we're yet to see any and importing stuff that large costs a fortune and the customs people enjoy destroying them.

I think they make them in my city too, montreal. If i see them ill let you know

So i played some Halo MCC yesterday, i go in halo2 playlist and every game voted was BR slayer. No objectives, nothing else, only BR slayer even though theres a slayer playlist. The playlists in that game are fucking garbage.

why would you put 'br sslayer' as a gametype in the Halo 2 playlist when theres a god damn slayer playlist already. What stupid idiots.
That's why I've been saying to remove the TS playlist since it's essentially another Halo 3 TS playlist, then bring back a 4v4 CE playlist. We don't need a mixed TS playlist when the games have their own playlists, not to mention hardcore that also includes H2 and H3.

And separate BTB into two playlists. BTB Alpha with CE and H4; BTB Omega with H2, H2A, H3. It's a good setup imo.

That's why I've been saying to remove the TS playlist since it's essentially another Halo 3 TS playlist, then bring back a 4v4 CE playlist. We don't need a mixed TS playlist when the games have their own playlists, not to mention hardcore that also includes H2 and H3.

And separate BTB into two playlists. BTB Alpha with CE and H4; BTB Omega with H2, H2A, H3. It's a good setup imo.

I dunno, i was so angry. I remember now why i hated the voting system so much, fucking people always vote for slayer 24/7. BR slayer 10 times in a row on the same map?? YES SIR! People are so fucking stupid, you literally cant give them a voting option. They clearly cant handle it.

343 bring back 1-site extraction.

Or 1-sided anything.

I somehow missed this post, but goddamn YES.

I miss round-based 1-side objective modes so bad.

1-flag CTF on Zanzibar WAS Halo 2 for me. Like, there were weeks where I could have forgotten there were other maps or modes in the game.

I somehow missed this post, but goddamn YES.

I miss round-based 1-side objective modes so bad.

1-flag CTF on Zanzibar WAS Halo 2 for me. Like, there were weeks where I could have forgotten there were other maps or modes in the game.

And while theyre at it, can they make so that when they release new game mode, that i dont have to download a variant of the map i already have for it to work? Like territories. I mean, how does this type of stuff even get approved in these conditions...

Actually I hope Halo 6 comes out next year so we can ride the Halo 5 update wave and hopefully get a framerate update. That at least will keep the core custom content community active despite the diminished support from 343.

Top Bottom