• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Laws00

About 300,000 req just from selling weapons

Still got vehicles and every other thing left lol

Man this is going to be fun.

Looks so great seeing this big number at the bottom corner screen lol

Ade

Watching that vid on the TV, little boy just came in. I now have my 5 year old son inconsolably crying as he can't play that game...

Fuchsdh

That game would have finally made MegaBloks do something that interested me :p Oh well.

I'd love a Halo-styled Lego game, especially as the latter LEGO games that have come out seem to have lost a lot of the charm I appreciated in the early titles.

Trup1aya

That mega blocks halo game looked great.

Probably would have been a great way to get a new generation of fans interested in the IP.

I feel like MS is tone deaf at times

Detective

Please Frankie, A halo RPG.

Halo is just to big to be trapped in a shooter genre.

Imagine a RPG like Mass effect in Halo universe.

All those planets. Enemies. Explorations.

Building your character to become a Spartan.

Ade

I only played the first and thought it was pretty bad. Definitely not fun.

SA wasn't too bad, shit with touch controls, grenade use especially. Tolerable to play with a controller on Win10.

No idea why SS never made it to the Xbox, would be nice for completions sake. Although the levels on it were far to long to play as a mobile game its quite enjoyable.

Fuchsdh

SA wasn't too bad, shit with touch controls, grenade use especially. Tolerable to play with a controller on Win10.

No idea why SS never made it to the Xbox, would be nice for completions sake. Although the levels on it were far to long to play as a mobile game its quite enjoyable.

Spartan Strike is definitely the better game overall, the major point in Assault's favor is it has the co-op levels. Played through SS on iOS, but definitely would have preferred a controller and a larger screen.

Spartan Strike is definitely the better game overall, the major point in Assault's favor is it has the co-op levels. Played through SS on iOS, but definitely would have preferred a controller and a larger screen.

Throwing in my hat that Spartan Strike is a legit good game. It addressed all the clunky, un-fun issues that I had with Spartan Assault (controls, menus, repetition). It's got some good challenge as well as some actually interesting level design and encounters (a big issue in SA).

Not to mention the soundtracks are quite good for both.

EDIT: Seriously. These are quality work:

Spartan Assault OST
Spartan Strike OST

Fuchsdh

Throwing in my hat that Spartan Strike is a legit good game. It addressed all the clunky, un-fun issues that I had with Spartan Assault (controls, menus, repetition). It's got some good challenge as well as some actually interesting level design and encounters (a big issue in SA).

Not to mention the soundtracks are quite good for both.

Good point too. Tom Salta does a lot with a little.

Really we can complain about stuff in Halo we don't like 'till we're blue in the face, but there's not a Halo game out there that actually has a bad soundtrack thus far.

Trup1aya

True.

Probably would have required a far larger investment though.

Probably would have gotten better short and long term returns, though if it was a quality title

Instead of a game that would have allowed a new generation to get into halo, playing Co-op with their parents (who grew up with it), we got two twin stick shooters that did nothing for the brand.

I hope 343 removes Clamber from Halo 6 and replaces it with a Double Jump. I don't mind the Thrust mechanic on its own, but Thrust + Clamber just opens up too many game breaking maneuver options and it makes map movement stupidly unpredictable. The only way to account for that is by scaling vertically, which disadvantages the player on the bottom moreso than they were in previous Halo games because the player up top can ground pound, and they have no risk involved with falling down because there's no fall damage.

Double Jump would have been a much better mechanic than Clamber because it has offensive capabilities. You can still access areas or "make a jump you feel like you would have missed" with Double Jump, and you can still change map scaling to block off certain areas. But at least in the aforementioned scenario, the player on the bottom would be able to outmanuever the player on top by using his second jump ability. We could also have fall damage back too because then players would be able to break their falls.

Obviously fall damage is not a popular gameplay option, but it breeds smarter level design and more risky power positions, which would balance the increased movement. There's no punishment for moving erratically or "going everywhre from anywhere" in this game beyond delaying your shield recharge, and that quite simply isn't enough.

Trup1aya

I hope 343 removes Clamber from Halo 6 and replaces it with a Double Jump. I don't mind the Thrust mechanic on its own, but Thrust + Clamber just opens up too many game breaking maneuver options and it makes map movement stupidly unpredictable. The only way to account for that is by scaling vertically, which disadvantages the player on the bottom moreso than they were in previous Halo games because the player up top can ground pound, and they have no risk involved with falling down because there's no fall damage.

Double Jump would have been a much better mechanic than Clamber because it has offensive capabilities. You can still access areas or "make a jump you feel like you would have missed" with Double Jump, and you can still change map scaling to block off certain areas. But at least in the aforementioned scenario, the player on the bottom would be able to outmanuever the player on top by using his second jump ability. We could also have fall damage back too because then players would be able to break their falls.

Obviously fall damage is not a popular gameplay option, but it breeds smarter level design and more risky power positions, which would balance the increased movement. There's no punishment for moving erratically or "going everywhre from anywhere" in this game beyond delaying your shield recharge, and that quite simply isn't enough.

I'd take a wall jump or a double jump over clamber any day, but I'd prefer if they just designed maps around crouch jump and spring jump.

nillapuddin

Guys, holy fucking hell.

That mega blok game looks so damn charming. Wow, as a "serious gamer" I would play the shit out of that, it looks fun and endearing

FyreWulff

Probably would have been a great way to get a new generation of fans interested in the IP.

Kinectimal-Riding-Ghost.jpg

beep beep

Please Frankie, A halo RPG.

Halo is just to big to be trapped in a shooter genre.

Imagine a RPG like Mass effect in Halo universe.

All those planets. Enemies. Explorations.

Building your character to become a Spartan.

Naw man. Alpha Protocol: Office of Naval Intelligence. That's the good shit.

I have a big problem doing a overhaul to what most people consider the best halo MP since 2. Personally i think its better and only needs some refining, not an overhaul.

Top Bottom