• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Haruko

I don't recall seeing anything recently about it so I assume it couldn't have happened recently, but has the hydra ever gotten a buff? I use to try to use them and couldn't really pick up kills with it, so I rarely grab one with the intention of using it on people. In the above match though I grabbed our hydra and stealth after both enemy vehicles were down and half the enemy team was assaulting out flag, so I started letting off shots. I picked up six kills pretty quickly with it before running out of ammo and was surprised to find that I was killing each person with with two direct shots (no splash damage), because I could have sworn it took three. Has it always been two-to-kill and I am just crazy?

I think it has always been 2 direct missiles to kill? Or at least, for a while.
When they buffed it in May:

Hydra Launcher: Default
Reduced recoil in hip fire
Increased inner AOE radius from 0.4 to 0.8
Increased impact damage to make it more effective against vehicles (still two rockets to kill Spartan)

Hydra Launcher: Typhon
Enabled multi lock on for up to 3 targets
Increased impact damage (still two rockets to kill Spartan)

Detective

Guys, any of you have increase server problems lately?

I get like more than 20 attention a day and extreme lag and latency. Much more than before.

Something new happened?

Guys, any of you have increase server problems lately?

I get like more than 20 attention a day and extreme lag and latency. Much more than before.

Something new happened?

i don't experience the 20 attentions, but i have been experiencing the lag and latency much more than before. which in turn has turned me off to play until i see it addressed.... i think ill take a little break playing was causing a bit more frustration than enjoyment and i dont want to play to become angry you know? if i get kicked after all the contribution, then whatever. lol

Detective

i don't experience the 20 attentions, but i have been experiencing the lag and latency much more than before. which in turn has turned me off to play until i see it addressed.... i think ill take a little break playing was causing a bit more frustration than enjoyment and i dont want to play to become angry you know? if i get kicked after all the contribution, then whatever. lol

That ship has sailed for me. Am angry and frustrated every day. Same as my friends.
If am gonna make a clip every time things happen the whole azure servers will come down.

Its almost every game now.

Frankie, Tashi, Please? Any update?

There's really nothing like The Pit in 5, so it'd be a welcomed addition. I'd prefer they go off of the Halo 4 version with the lift to Sword room and up the scale a tad.

You havne't played the PIT remake that was available in the forge playlist? i think i played it in action shack with some type of king gametype.

it was aight.

Haruko

Me/Zorplex/CirrusStrafe farmed some spartan charges in SWAT last night. Had a few games where we combined for 10-11.

still 4180 to go D:

Fuchsdh

I enjoyed Construct quite a bit. Never understood the hate.

It's pretty much incompatible with motion trackers, especially given how it's more useful with elevation since Reach.

In my experience it's not fun having to take elevators around the whole map just to find people... it doesn't funnel people to battle locations well.

Proabably because there are only a handful of Halo 3 4v4 maps worth remaking, then when you consider Halo 5's sandbox it's even less.

Trash 4v4 maps:
Construct - Lift camping, shit sighlines, shit map.
Epitaph - Shield door camping, seemingly unremarkable.
Foundry - Vanilla setup is trash.
Ghost Town - Get stuck on all of the things.
Isolation - Such a shit map that you're literally being ejected via a sphincter.
Orbital - Longest sat down and said, "fuck my shit up," Bungie replied, "Say no more."
Snowbound - Shield door camping, no redeeming features.

Redundant 4v4 Maps:
Heretic - It's Midship.
Assembly - It's Midship, but not fun.

Good 4v4 maps from 3:
Guardian - Wouldn't work in 5's sandbox.
Narrows - Could work in 5.
The Pit - Could work in 5.
Citadel - Could work in 5.
Cold Storage - Is synonymous with Halo CE.
Blackout - Wouldn't work in 5's sandbox and is synonymous with 2.
High Ground - No one-sided game types and isn't that great anyway.

So Halo 3 Anniversary CU will consist of Narrows, The Pit and Citadel, you've heard it here first.

Well I was wrong as those Halo 3 helmets are coming out on February 9th with no Halo 3 maps.

Narrows + Thruster Pack and Clamber =
EdVBBPR.gif

EYEL1NER

I think it has always been 2 direct missiles to kill? Or at least, for a while.
When they buffed it in May:
Hmmm, so it was the "Or am I crazy?" option. Before I guess I may have been getting a couple misses that dealt some splash damage from a wall behind my target or something while they were running around a piece of geometry at the beginning or end of firing and that may have contributed to my belief that it took more than 2 hits to kill.

It is though

maxresdefault.jpg

Valhalla was ruined by "good guns" shooting across the map, among the other nonsense in Halo 4. Remakes have been an inherently bad idea for a while now.
Valhalla was never good in my opinion, a better sandbox just further exposed its design flaws. Viking is a lot better with the expanded cover on the containment wall. Avalanche works as is because it's a good map. Sidewinder bloodline >>> Blood Gulch's bloodline.

Of course every BTB map in Halo 5 would be better with pistol starts.

FyreWulff

I'm guessing it was cut some time around January or February 2009. That's when Halo Wars released with the first round of Mythic maps and with them, Orbital. Although it could have been much earlier because iirc 'Moonlight Sonata' was originally intended to be a Mythic map and it got bumped up to the Legendary pack. Moonlight Sonata ended up being Blackout.

IIRC ODST was pretty much done by then when Mythic 1 released. Due to the Mattrick fuckery it spent time just waiting to be released, it was supposed to all hit at once with Recon/ODST in 2008:

Sketch said:
SketchFactor: You can't complete the Brainpan achievement until the remaining three maps are released since as you say, it does require finding six skulls. Long ago, all six maps were considered the "Mythic Collection" but now we're in a situation where three of them will be released early as the "Mythic map pack." Technically all six are still "Mythic" though. A little confusing, eh? The reality is that these maps and plans originated long ago and a lot has changed since then, creating a little bit of a convoluted situation but the upside is that three of the maps are coming out before the Halo 3: Recon retail release.

mo60

Anyone here planning to play in the warzone warlords playlist this weekend? Also I plan to go to some tournament tommorrow for halo 5 where I live even though I may not compete in this tournament.

EYEL1NER

My wish for a H3 Anniversary content update would be slightly updated versions of Avalanche, Rat's Nest, and Last Resort. Just make them slightly bigger to account for thrust and clamber and they would be nice to have. I know that in reality we wouldn't get a single one of those, but a man can dream that someone at 343 remembers that BTB exists, can't he?

Woorloog

Banned
They changed Halo CE/PC multiplayer sounds in Master Chief Collection didn't they? Because i started a custom match to test stuff but the weapons sound... wrong, not what i remember from Halo PC. The Fuel Rod Gun and Flamer especially...

Also my headphones broke (right after i stopped playing). Fuck. They are just over a year old, i figure the warranty probably just expired...

Woorloog

Banned
Not a fan. But then there's but one 4 player list for Halo CE so whatever, it is not like i'm going to play it online. Would've loved try Halo CE BTB but not touching a mixed-game playlists.

Guess i'll need to dig up my Halo PC CD key and install Custom Edition, perhaps someone is still running a vanilla or vanilla-like server.

Fuchsdh

It is though

maxresdefault.jpg

Valhalla was ruined by "good guns" shooting across the map, among the other nonsense in Halo 4. Remakes have been an inherently bad idea for a while now.

Yeah, but the Valhalla remake in H5 BTB is great. Hitscan weapons might change the nature of engagements, but they don't *ruin* it unless you have 3x DMRs in loadouts.

Haruko

I checked their profile on H5 and it wasn't there, but it's on Waypoint? I thought the fileshares are identical lol. Either way it worked, thanks!

NP.

I just had it bookmarked; i marked all of the decent+ remake forge creations when that one google doc showed up tracking them all

Nowise10

Back playing Halo 5 after a hiatus tonight. My friend and I play a game of Infection, and get a map on Molten. My friend tells me he got teleported when he ran through the lava, so me and him try it, but we kept dying. Que the third death trying to get to the teleporter, and my friend gets kicked from the game and banned from playing.

I get back on later tonight by myself, and my first infection game someone repeatedly cheats and gets out of the map to hide, and wins the game as he is the last man standing everytime. And guess what? 343 has zero system to ban people who use actually use exploits in Matchmaking and "ruin" the game, but God forbid you commit suicide 3 times in Infection, or quit a social game. I hate how helpless I feel when playing Halo 5. I feel like 343 doesn't give a damn, when I see games like Overwatch take amazing care of the games matchmaking and its playerbase.

It's pretty much incompatible with motion trackers, especially given how it's more useful with elevation since Reach.

In my experience it's not fun having to take elevators around the whole map just to find people... it doesn't funnel people to battle locations well.
I'd always take the 2 narrow ramps up to the sword room while opposing teams focused on camping the lifts. Though I agree the map would be better without motion trackers.

Detective

I think the wasp really ruined WZ. It should be at least lvl 5 and Up.
Watching Almighty stream, they just spam wasp. And everyone does now. Less gunplay and flow.

It was more fun before Imo.

EYEL1NER

Is the Greatest Hits REQ pack worth the 100k points or nah?
I don't know if I have all of those REQs or not but I personally wouldn't buy it if I had a spare 100K points laying about. I've been getting nothing but customization and visual REQs for the past few days. I finished playing just a few moments ago but decided I wanted another REQ pack after opening a Gold and my Level 90 pack, so I sold a shitton of stuff to get up to 10,000 from 400. I finally got a non-customization REQ and it wound up being the Gunfighter Magnum, which I'll never even use (why couldn't I have gotten the extended mag Magnum first? Sigh...). So I wouldn't buy the pack if I could afford it.

mo60

I think the wasp really ruined WZ. It should be at least lvl 5 and Up.
Watching Almighty stream, they just spam wasp. And everyone does now. Less gunplay and flow.

It was more fun before Imo.

Are you talking about something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUy3NTKA-8s

Yeah. The wasp spam is annoying. It must be way worse in that warzone warlords playlist because I heard teams were saving their wasps to use them like crazy in that playlist.

Also one interesting thing about the warzone warlords is watching to see which teams plan to just fight in the air with the wasp during warzone matches.

Detective

Are you talking about something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUy3NTKA-8s

Yeah. The wasp spam is annoying. It must be way worse in that warzone warlords playlist because I heard teams were saving their wasps to use them like crazy in that playlist.

Not just that, even regular warzone.

There is no fighting. No hard work for garage / fortress.

Just spawn wasp and there you go , you can take the fortress back even if its almost capped.

Just dont understand these decisions.
You have a wasp an aircraft at lvl 3 with no counter weapons.

Am not sure it was even needed to begin with.

There was more fighting, more challenge, more gunplay and strategy to capture a base or push or do anything.

Now, all I hear and see : Spawn a wasp.

mo60

Not just that, even regular warzone.

There is no fighting. No hard work for garage / fortress.

Just spawn wasp and there you go , you can take the fortress back even if its almost capped.

Just dont understand these decisions.
You have a wasp an aircraft at lvl 3 with no counter weapons.

Am not sure it was even needed to begin with.

There was more fighting, more challenge, more gunplay and strategy to capture a base or push or do anything.
Now, all I hear and see : Spawn a wasp.

The wasp spam is awful in warzone, but my point is that it's probably even worse in that 12 man playlist.It probably may be increased by a req level soon which may make warzone matches less filled with wasps. I do think lowering the req level of certain weapons like the spartan laser should help reduce the effectiveness of the wasp at the start of a warzone match.

Top Bottom