• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

came to ask if they were planning anymore updates, and saw that ESL is rigging everything D:

Anyways, the last tournament got me enough gold packs to unlock everything, so now I have a bunch of gold packs and 170k REQ points but nothing to spend it on.

I suspect an update late spring around the scorpio event, if they have one.

Use that momentum to being back players and swing into e3 while also announcing a new update for late fall, maybe winter.

Thats my guess.

And that's kind of why it was dumb. Having it be a 2-man vehicle with the gunner switching sides would have made more sense, or just having a dedicated gunner position with a side seat for objectives like a flying warthog.

I do think it's fair to say that even random teams have an easier time of steamrolling now just because the Halo 5 equivalent of RTS rush cheeses are pretty effective. I'm wondering if the solution for future games is to create a team-wide REQ energy pool so people can't call in three tanks or Banshees or the like, or whether that creates more problems than it solves (incentivizes griefing) and whether it's better to leave edge cases alone and just balance per-vehicle. Obviously the Banshee has a lot of vectors it could be nerfed (removing the FRG on the base and/or higher REQ variants, tying flips to boost gauge, reducing boost gauge, etc.) so it seems like the "simpler" solution.

I was actually wondering before release if they were going to have that, now I wonder if they'll put it in for 6, or Reach 2.5 or whatever.

I think it would make a lot of sense to limit the number of X in the game at the same time, but they'd need to revamp the REQ interface (which God knows they need to do anyway) to make the rules clear for players.

Noah's Ark rules (2 only per team) for everything 6 or above could be starting point, or even having a cooldown ("Cannot spawn other Sniper for 30 seconds..."). It would also encourage players to explore different options, which would be neat.

Fuchsdh

Alternatively, I wonder if part of the solution to steamrolling Warzone is some sort of rubber-band mechanic allowing down-and-out teams opportunities to come from behind. Some of this already exists with the last-touch boss point system, and some of it could come naturally from better map design (like having at least two exits points on *all* core bases, not just a select few like on Apex 7. Some way of quickly getting RP to boost you up enough to call in that clutch vehicle or sniper rifle, etc.

Fuchsdh

Did you play the dlc though? Think I enjoyed those even more than the base game.

Yeah. Got the GOTY edition for $30 in the sale over the holidays. It's definitely a game that falls into the category alongside BioShock where I like the game for its story and atmosphere a lot more than its gameplay. Even with alternate movement the controls feel wonky, the game has massive difficulty spikes, and the base game is just too long for the story they are trying to tell—I think that's one reason that the DLC feels a lot better. Also, it's really nice when you actually get some color in the world in Blood and Wine.

Now I can finish up Halo Wars DE and get back to my regular Halo 5 game playing. Nice to be back in Team Arena—I enjoy nail-biting objective games a lot more than Slayer, which I decided to place in last season.

You can look up my bookmarks, I have tons of good remakes and maps in them cause I host lobbies on H5 forge pretty often

GT IHaveAnIce you guys can also all add me
Cool, picked up a few from you.
Did you play the dlc though? Think I enjoyed those even more than the base game.

Yup, Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine are so good and for different reasons.
Does your character transfer over or do you start fresh? Reason I'm asking is because I never completed the base game, but would like to play the DLC without having to worry about leveling up.

Woorloog

Banned

Does your character transfer over or do you start fresh? Reason I'm asking is because I never completed the base game, but would like to play the DLC without having to worry about leveling up.

The DLC can be started individually with a suitably leveled character. But only that DLC, you won't see any links to main story (they're few anyway, for HoS anyway).

The DLC can be started individually with a suitably leveled character. But only that DLC, you won't see any links to main story (they're few anyway, for HoS anyway).

This. I personally feel you should carry your progress over, but if you start fresh for the dlc, you are given the minimum recommended level and ample equipment until you find more in the game.

Honestly, Blood And Wine is the best story in a video game I've played in a long time. It was just so good, but I think that's because of the journey I was on with the previous entries. And like Mass Effect, I started late (in this case, just with Witcher 3). If you had even a bit of a good time with the base game, the dlc is a must buy.

Oh, err, Halo.

This. I personally feel you should carry your progress over, but if you start fresh for the dlc, you are given the minimum recommended level and ample equipment until you find more in the game.

Honestly, Blood And Wine is the best story in a video game I've played in a long time. It was just so good, but I think that's because of the journey I was on with the previous entries. And like Mass Effect, I started late (in this case, just with Witcher 3). If you had even a bit of a good time with the base game, the dlc is a must buy.

Oh, err, Halo.

Heart of Stone's story shits on Blood and Wine, but both are rather good.

TCKaos

Alternatively, I wonder if part of the solution to steamrolling Warzone is some sort of rubber-band mechanic allowing down-and-out teams opportunities to come from behind. Some of this already exists with the last-touch boss point system, and some of it could come naturally from better map design (like having at least two exits points on *all* core bases, not just a select few like on Apex 7. Some way of quickly getting RP to boost you up enough to call in that clutch vehicle or sniper rifle, etc.

One of the things I've been suggesting is to implement a default REQ pool that every player has access to every game. Think the REQ equivalent of how CoD and Titanfall and even Halo 4 had premade loadouts that featured perks and weapons that you hadn't unlocked yet but were always accessible.

You could even reduce the cost of these REQs specifically, or have them get drawn from a team pool, that way if the other team decides to spawn 3 Wasps or whatever you can guarantee that someone on the other team will have a Laser or Rockets or something ready to go. You could even have these tied to the progress of the opposite team so that the better the other team is doing the faster you have access to this pool of counter REQs.

Heart of Stone's story shits on Blood and Wine, but both are rather good.

I think I enjoyed the narrative more in HoS, but the vistas and atmosphere and characters were marvelous in B&W. It was a victory lap for sure. But yeah HoS gave me the feels.

At least we can all agree Yen is the best girl.
Agree damn it!

Cortana.

Fuchsdh

I think I enjoyed the narrative more in HoS, but the vistas and atmosphere and characters were marvelous in B&W. It was a victory lap for sure. But yeah HoS gave me the feels.

At least we can all agree Yen is the best girl.
Agree damn it!

Cortana.

Haha. Can't agree at all. She's just a dick.

Dunno why they pick on Cortana for "needless sexualization" when there's... literally every major female character in Witcher 3.

Is it just me, or is it really weird to have the sword back top mid on Truth? Seems like forever ago since it was up there.

I loved Prophet's Bane being at top mid in the Beta, it captured the spirit of Midship having a dominant sword there. I'd prefer having Prophet's Bane there without the camo perk.

Also Triss is the best. You haven't even played Witcher 2, Gringo.

I loved Prophet's Bane being at top mid in the Beta, it captured the spirit of Midship having a dominant sword there. I'd prefer having Prophet's Bane there without the camo perk.

Also Triss is the best. You haven't even played Witcher 2, Gringo.

Yeah, having Prophet's Bane was pretty great. I miss having it on Truth.

Cortana doesn't have the titillation to stand toe to toe with the Witcher gals. It's no contest.

And I'm a Batman fan, Fatal. She's basically Catwoman. Of course I'm gonna pick her. Triss is aight though. Everyone can surely agree Shani is a pretended to the best gal throne, right?

Speaking of classy ladies, I guess we better think twice before mentioning FAT's mom in the future. Dude will straight fuck us up!

z504BtU.png

damn... me binging RE7(game is amazing) this past week made me super rusty at halo 5. need to fix that up asap

oh and I just discovered the Impact Prop guys have recently started a live action show called Living with Chief. Their Christmas episode had me in tears lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsn5oyC4kIc&t=4s

343/MS fund this show pls

Imagine if Halo Channel was treated as an actual, you know, channel. Could have been rad.

mo60

Someone figured out how to get an easy unfrigginbelievable in rally hog race in Action Sack recently. It used to be that people would kill themselves over and over again to block people from crossing the finish line, but someone figured out how to stay in the warthog while killing other players.

Sweet. Have seen lots of clips come in this week, so hopefully there's some good material to work with.

I foresee it being a little shorter than previous montages, mostly because it's the twilight years (before Halo 6 arrives)

I have a couple more clips of me blowing up things/people with tanks if you need some... (I should really just make a tank montage for myself)

IHaveIce

Banned
Sweet. Have seen lots of clips come in this week, so hopefully there's some good material to work with.

I foresee it being a little shorter than previous montages, mostly because it's the twilight years (before Halo 6 arrives)
Lmao shorter? I have like 14 clips in my mail.

I think like 5 players of HaloGAF could fill a 10 minute montage easily if they played the game quite a bit since the last one :D

Ade

Don't kick me from the company please, haven't played for a week as I have food poising. Its shitty, in every sense of the word

nillapuddin

Hey guys, I know yall are globetrotters and conference goers

I need a little help!
My best friend is in the marines and he's stationed in california, this will be his last year and he is moving back to Florida, I also have another friend who lives in california. We want to make a bro trip to the big shabang, SDCC.

I did a bit of research and see that we have to register to have a chance to buy badges to get in, but I was wondering if any of yall have some more info or could let me know what to do (or tell me if we have no shot of buying tickets badges)

EYEL1NER

Going back to the topic of the Halo 3 throwback helmets that'll be coming out: I know I've mentioned that I think Hyabusa armor should be in the game before, but I was just going through and looking at different H5 armor permutations and I started missing it again. I think the upcoming content drop is a missed opportunity to have included it. I know it is based off of Ryu Hyabusa's armor and probably included because of the crossover with DoA4, and I realize that there could be some legal stuff that bars them from using it again, but they should really try to get it in the game. I still remember how excited I was to unlock it, even though it is what EVERYONE used for quite a while. I love that helmet and there isn't anything quite like it in H5 already.

Going back to the topic of the Halo 3 throwback helmets that'll be coming out: I know I've mentioned that I think Hyabusa armor should be in the game before, but I was just going through and looking at different H5 armor permutations and I started missing it again. I think the upcoming content drop is a missed opportunity to have included it. I know it is based off of Ryu Hyabusa's armor and probably included because of the crossover with DoA4, and I realize that there could be some legal stuff that bars them from using it again, but they should really try to get it in the game. I still remember how excited I was to unlock it, even though it is what EVERYONE used for quite a while. I love that helmet and there isn't anything quite like it in H5 already.

Fairly certain it is a legal issue. Shinobi is as close as we are going to get, I'm afraid.

Leyasu

Banned
Lag still present in slayer. Yaaaayyy

Fired it back up the other day.. SWAT was game after game against my American cousins, complete with insta deaths before players had even fired on my screen, or homing bullets that killed me around corners.

Amazing experience

Akai__

IHaveIce

Banned
Josh Menke already doing some work at 343i: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-update----jan-30/36662144-984b-48a1-8719-5c81b9f0ba3b/posts?page=1

They are discussing things like:

• Solo vs Parties
  • Smurfing
  • Partying Up Postgame
  • Map Vetoes
  • Party Chat in the pre-game lobby

It's probably way too late, but this could be good for H6's matchmaking.

PS: Wished Server Selection/Restriction would be part of that.
So good.

Also everyone who cares for arena pls post there and tell him this sounds good, I don't trust waypoint kids, they will try to convince him that there shouldn't be ranks at all

I also line his thoughts about other ranking systems like:

Only being able to play placements after a special SR ( Like Overwatch)

Or

A ranking system more in Line with Halo 3's infamous 1-50

Top Bottom