• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

IHaveIce

Banned
I checked their profile on H5 and it wasn't there, but it's on Waypoint? I thought the fileshares are identical lol. Either way it worked, thanks!
You can look up my bookmarks, I have tons of good remakes and maps in them cause I host lobbies on H5 forge pretty often

GT IHaveAnIce you guys can also all add me

Trup1aya

Fucking 343... finally get a full party for 12man warzone. Find a match instantly... i get disconnected as soon as the match loads...

We get the party back together. Can't find a match

We could have had an interesting human air vehicle, that added something new to the sandbox, like the Falcon with its airbus qualities. Instead we have a re-skinned Phaeton that ruins the early flow of a game. While the weapon sandbox in Halo 5 is the best, the vehicular side of things needs to be improved for Halo 6. The Scorpion is slow, the Mantis is useless and the Hog is a death trap.

We could have had an interesting human air vehicle, that added something new to the sandbox, like the Falcon with its airbus qualities. Instead we have a re-skinned Phaeton that ruins the early flow of a game. While the weapon sandbox in Halo 5 is the best, the vehicular side of things needs to be improved for Halo 6. The Scorpion is slow, the Mantis is useless and the Hog is a death trap.
Mantis is actually usable now, to be fair. Scorpions need speed boost for sure.

TCKaos

The Falcon is an incredible vehicle because it's requires two people to actually operate, meaning that you need to have a competent gunner and a competent pilot in order to operate efficiently, like a Warthog. You can't have a shit gunner and a good driver or a shit driver and a good gunner. That's why I feel the low REQ price for a Warthog is permissible - the skill floor for its use makes it difficult to use efficiently, justifying the low price. The Wasp has no such downside. It does a bunch of damage and is very agile. Most early game players aren't going to have the REQs they need to deal with one, let alone multiple Wasps.

The Wasp needs to be REQ level 4 or 5. The ONI Wasp needs an actual buff and the Banshee needs a considerable nerf. It either needs to be more expensive, less maneuverable, do less damage, or have less health.

Woorloog

Banned
Banshees should not have the Fuel Rod Cannon. If plasma guns aren't good enough, buff them a bit.
Also, evasion recharge should take longer than executing an evasion takes.

Trup1aya

The infantry v vehicle combat is fucked in this game.

The main issue is that nearly every vehicle instantly turns the driver into a one man army.

It's fine to have vehicles where the pilot is lethal, but in these cases there should be a power:ease ratio that is adhered to. The more powerful a vehicle is, the more difficult it should be to use effectively. The Banshee has a one hit kill in the Banshee Bomb, and that's fine. But it shouldnt also have insane tracking, ridiculous maneuverability, and an overshield.

So many of the vehicles in this game fall into the same trap

Rembrandt

Banned
Tell me I can get through heroic by myself so I can eventually do legendary. I haven't played a halo game in a while before this and forgot how good the AI is.

Hey guys! Hola from HaloGAF @ PAX South!

QgzsHhF.png

mo60

I got extremely lucky and managed to participate in a halo 5 4v4 tournament in the city I live in yesterday. I had a lot of fun even though I also had a lot of bad luck during the tournament. The team I was on for the tournament got knocked into the loser bracket, but we managed to win against one team in the loser bracket but we got knocked in the next round because we were down a team member and the team we were facing easily destroyed my team.

Zushin

Any Aussies in here that are able to comment if there's still a lot of people in our region playing/easy to get matches? Haven't played Halo MP since Halo 3 but thinking about picking this up. Won't bother if the MP is dead for Aussies though.

Trup1aya

Halo world championship update:

Remember that Qualifier tournament in STL, where "Amatuer" teams ALG and Inconceivable (Bubu Dubu) outplaced Pro Team Pnda (Cratos) in the hunt for valuable seeding points for HWC?

Well tonight we learned that tournament was essentially, fucking pointless.

Pro teams were awarded HWC 16,000 seeding points just for being 'Pros'. Actual placements in the tournament were only worth upto a couple thousand points.

What this means: an AM team could have came in 1st place on LAN and would be looking at an 8th seed at best for the Vegas Qualifier. A Pro team could have placed 13-16,or even skipped the tournament all together, and would get at worst a 7th place seed in Vegas. The top 6 teams in vegas will get to go to World's.

In the weeks leading up to Vegas, there will be a few online cups that will award additional seeding points. But wins are only worth a few hundred. The best AM has NO CHANCE at closing the gap with the worst Pro.

So essentially, the system was designed to stack the deck in favor of the Pro teams.this is especially troublesome because it's been repeatedly proven that Pnda is worse than several of the Top Amatuer squads. And that top AM squads are more than capable of going the distance with Pro teams.

It doesn't help that NO ONE provided any insight into how points would be allocated until AFTER STL took place. The community didn't get a chance to complain about how FUCKING STUPID this is until it was too late.

With millions of dollars on the line, why is ESL putting so much effort into ruining the integrity of the competition? What do they have against fairness? Why is 343 content with ESLs repeat mishandling of this league? Shit like this seriously puts a dampener on what would otherwise a pretty enjoyable product.

Akai__

ExWife mate, I don't know how to tell you this, but you are purple.

Are you sure that you are a real human bean?

With millions of dollars on the line, why is ESL putting so much effort into ruining the integrity of the competition? What do they have against fairness? Why is 343 content with ESLs repeat mishandling of this league? Shit like this seriously puts a dampener on what would otherwise a pretty enjoyable product.

ESL needs to be dropped. Period.

They just need to give MLG the control over the league, without the developer even interfering with it too much. Bungie never seemed to care what MLG did outside of official matchmaking and that turned out pretty well. MLG had the freedom to evolve Competetive Halo and boy did it make progress from Halo CE -> 2 -> 3. Every single year the viewer numbers rose, the number of events increased and the size of venues and attendees rose. And that was several YEARS ago. Today, we have much better equipment/technology and 343i (and the tournament organizators) are ALWAYS having trouble with stuff like audio or whatever else there is. It's just unbelievably frustrating the way it currently is.

Also, to put some more salt in peoples wound's... From Towey's (EG Coach) Twitter:

JaggedSac

I could have sworn the Firefight level 4 commendation gave multiple gold packs when completed. Finished it yesterday and only got one. Am I just mistaken or did they pull back on that because monies.

belushy

Banned
MLG is owned by Activision now, I doubt you ever see Halo under that banner officially ever again

Adam who works on MLG is consistently on the teambeyond forums. While nothing has ever officially been announced nor do I think anything is in the works right now, Adam constantly says he is willing to work with 343 for an MLG event. It can still happen.

FyreWulff

Adam who works on MLG is consistently on the teambeyond forums. While nothing has ever officially been announced nor do I think anything is in the works right now, Adam constantly says he is willing to work with 343 for an MLG event. It can still happen.

I think the trend these days is to officially full-partner or run your own league. It's now recognized fully as part of your marketing so companies like having full control over that from top to bottom.

I could have sworn the Firefight level 4 commendation gave multiple gold packs when completed. Finished it yesterday and only got one. Am I just mistaken or did they pull back on that because monies.
Lvl 4 has always been one pack. It tells you the rewards to expect in the game under your commendations.

Novocaine

Any Aussies in here that are able to comment if there's still a lot of people in our region playing/easy to get matches? Haven't played Halo MP since Halo 3 but thinking about picking this up. Won't bother if the MP is dead for Aussies though.

It's not as active as it used to be but it's not bad. Never have a problem getting matches during prime time especially on featured maps. Maybe take advantage of the EB Games 7 day return policy and give it a try to see for yourself.

Trup1aya

MLG is owned by Activision now, I doubt you ever see Halo under that banner officially ever again

That has nothing to do with it. Parts of HWC 2016 were run by mlg.

Gears of war is also run by MLG.

Appparently MLG could have been in Halo 5 as a secondary TO (like UGC Gfinity and Millenial Esports are) but declined because ESL wanted to place a hard wall between AMs and Pro's.

It looked like ESL broke with that stance when they started announcing these opens, but this seeding point situation is essentially a soft wall.

ESL just has it all wrong at a fundamental level and MLG rightfully wouldnt buy into that

I actually had a pretty pleasant solo Warzone experience last night, maybe all the super srs people were trying to find matches in Ultra Extreme Ironically Tryhard Uber Warzone?

But the REQ creep is getting pretty bad, a lot of people have enough of a REQ warehouse to call in awesome things right away. Three banshees coming down all at once ain't that fun. It's sort of destroying the casual mode for the casuals.

Hey guys! Hola from HaloGAF @ PAX South!

QgzsHhF.png

like button

The Falcon is an incredible vehicle because it's requires two people to actually operate, meaning that you need to have a competent gunner and a competent pilot in order to operate efficiently, like a Warthog. You can't have a shit gunner and a good driver or a shit driver and a good gunner. That's why I feel the low REQ price for a Warthog is permissible - the skill floor for its use makes it difficult to use efficiently, justifying the low price. The Wasp has no such downside. It does a bunch of damage and is very agile. Most early game players aren't going to have the REQs they need to deal with one, let alone multiple Wasps.

The Wasp needs to be REQ level 4 or 5. The ONI Wasp needs an actual buff and the Banshee needs a considerable nerf. It either needs to be more expensive, less maneuverable, do less damage, or have less health.

Yep, the air vehicles are poorly balanced in general, but it's practically traditional at this point. RIP Rifles on Ascension.

The Falcon was cool in theory, but had such a high skill/coordination floor that it only worked as intended like 5% of the time. Needing two gunners, and then each gunner having a pretty limited field of view (they couldn't shoot completely forward, for chrissakes) made it just difficult to coordinate. It was basically a flying Triple Kill.

What would make more sense is just having a nose turret and needing a gunner for that, which is uh, how attack helicopters actually work and what has been implemented in other games. But Bungie had to Bungie.

ON hogs, I think the ONI hogs should be a little more expensive, the time to kill is absurd.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man, Falcon in split screen was such an awesome vehicle. I remember how my friend would be a gunner and i'd pilot it (with Warthogs, i was the gunner and he drove).
The secondary gunner is irrelevant, because effective flying usually presented only one side for enemies.
As long as we could prevent enemies from using lasers and rockets, we could dominate the battlefield pretty well (assuming enemy sniper or DMR guys didn't wise up).

Sure, the Falcon requires a lot of coordination but that's fine, if they can do that, they deserve it. For maps with Falcons, there could be a specialized anti-air power weapon, would make a good objective for both sides if there are good fliers.

That said, moving the gunner to a bubble turret in the front might be a good idea, make it a bit easier to use for poorly coordinated crew. But if so, i'd add some cargo/passenger room in the rear so that the aircraft would be like a miniature Hind or Pelican. Give the pilot an ability to lift a Mongoose or Ghost...

Fuchsdh

Oh man, Falcon in split screen was such an awesome vehicle. I remember how my friend would be a gunner and i'd pilot it (with Warthogs, i was the gunner and he drove).
The secondary gunner is irrelevant, because effective flying usually presented only one side for enemies.

And that's kind of why it was dumb. Having it be a 2-man vehicle with the gunner switching sides would have made more sense, or just having a dedicated gunner position with a side seat for objectives like a flying warthog.

I do think it's fair to say that even random teams have an easier time of steamrolling now just because the Halo 5 equivalent of RTS rush cheeses are pretty effective. I'm wondering if the solution for future games is to create a team-wide REQ energy pool so people can't call in three tanks or Banshees or the like, or whether that creates more problems than it solves (incentivizes griefing) and whether it's better to leave edge cases alone and just balance per-vehicle. Obviously the Banshee has a lot of vectors it could be nerfed (removing the FRG on the base and/or higher REQ variants, tying flips to boost gauge, reducing boost gauge, etc.) so it seems like the "simpler" solution.

BradC00

came to ask if they were planning anymore updates, and saw that ESL is rigging everything D:

Anyways, the last tournament got me enough gold packs to unlock everything, so now I have a bunch of gold packs and 170k REQ points but nothing to spend it on.

Top Bottom